• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 5 Anime of 2014 (And Ours)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I gotta admit, I was very surprised that Sailor Moon Crystal only ranked at number 30. I didn't vote for it personally, but that's because I know it's a lot more faithful to the manga and I've always far preferred Junichi Sato's take on Sailor Moon to Naoko Takeuchi's original manga, since my favourite element in Sailor Moon are the many, many comedy filler episodes more than the main arc. (Yeah, I know Sato only directed the first season, but I also easily prefer the first season to the rest.)

Is it that, even as a relatively-straight adaptation of the manga, Sailor Moon Crystal isn't quite living up to Sailor Moon fans' expectations, is it that there aren't nearly as many Sailor Moon fans out there as there used to be, or is it simply that a lot of people like Sailor Moon Crystal, but it's not quite top 5 of the year material?

Last edited by Tenchi on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raneth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the top five lists were loaded toward the latter half of the year, especially the fall season. I think this previous fall season has been a particularly strong one.

From the lists, it looks like I'll have to check out Nozaki-Kun and of course, Space Dandy! Very Happy I always intended to check it out, but now I really want to.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Is it that, even as a relatively-straight adaptation of the manga, Sailor Moon Crystal isn't quite living up to Sailor Moon fans expectations

It's this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I gotta admit, I was very surprised that Sailor Moon Crystal only ranked at number 30. I didn't vote for it personally, but that's because I know it's a lot more faithful to the manga and I've always far preferred Junichi Sato's take on Sailor Moon to Naoko Takeuchi's original manga, since my favourite element in Sailor Moon are the many, many comedy filler episodes more than the main arc. (Yeah, I know Sato only directed the first season, but I also easily prefer the first season to the rest.)

Is it that, even as a relatively-straight adaptation of the manga, Sailor Moon Crystal isn't quite living up to Sailor Moon fans' expectations, is it that there aren't nearly as many Sailor Moon fans out there as there used to be, or is it simply that a lot of people like Sailor Moon Crystal, but it's not quite top 5 of the year material?

It's a lot of people who never read the manga being dismayed that the new show isn't just a remake of the old show. Sailor Moon Crystal is fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I aree with Mr. Creamer's assessment of the reason Terror in Resonance wasn't much higher than #14 as opposed to Parasyte and others. This was a much hyped show with a lot of expectations, which I did not have and so found the writing and plot intelligent and refreshingly original, the "cinematography" outstangingly well done and I give them much kudos for having the courage to spoiler[ kill off 9 and 12] to make thier point and keep things "realistic". I think 5's ending was sloppily handled, but I found the characters well developed at the end and fairly believable. Also, I protest Sakura Trick being so low in the poll. More Yuri! Less Yaoi!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
@Hope
Handa (Barakamon) is voiced by Ono Daisuke, not Namikawa Daisuke!

Whoops, I diced my Daisukes! OTL

I knew who I meant, I'm just bad with name recollection, always have been. Embarassed

Haha, well, the seiyuu industry does have a lot of Daisukes...

Ono Daisuke, Namikawa Daisuke, Sakaguchi Daisuke, Kishio Daisuke, Kirii Daisuke, etc, etc. (And now there's a lot of Onos too with Ono Yuuki and Ono Kenshou in the mix.) But it's for this reason that Ono Daisuke has the nickname "OnoD"!

I'm pleased to see Barakamon make it on the list for many reviewers. It was definitely my number 1 of the year. I also voted for Parasyte, Noragami, Kuroshitsuji, and something else. The series I actually bought the BDs for were Barakamon, Noragami, and Kuroshitsuji.

I'm sure 2015 is going to be a great year since January is starting off with a bang. Amazing lineup for winter season.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
After a few years with singular mega-hits that most or all anime fans can rally around — Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan, Kill La Kill — it's probably healthy to have a year like this that spreads the wealth across a lot of different titles and genres.

Personally, none of the big titles really appealed to me, and none is such a monster hit that I feel I need to watch it just to keep up with fandom. So FWIW, my very idiosyncratic list:

1. Wake Up, Girls! The Seven Idols (movie)
  2. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
  3. Seitokai Yakuindomo*
  4. Mekakucity Actors
  5. Your Lie In April
Macron One

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing to see Encouragement of Climb season 2 ranking that low (125th place). The series has been truly excellent thusfar and has very impressive production values to boot. It's a pity so few people seem to be giving it a chance.
Marimai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
sad to see Zankyou no terror get beaten by something like Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun. (it had it's charm but the animation and overall characters were bland)
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Disappointing to see Encouragement of Climb season 2 ranking that low (125th place). The series has been truly excellent thusfar and has very impressive production values to boot. It's a pity so few people seem to be giving it a chance.

Well, it's a sequel. What do you expect? It's kind of a hit or miss, is it not? Enjoyable for the moe fans and not that much for the rest.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised that Log Horizon barely managed to edge out SAO II. I wouldn't have thought that possible.

If I remember right, the five I chose for this poll were Ping Pong, Nozaki-kun, Stardust Crusaders, Log Horizon, and Unlimited Blade Works.

Big surprise for me is how low Love Live season 2 is considering I've only heard about how much of an improvement it is over the first season which was already rather popular.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
For those who are interested, here's a summarized breakdown on the staff/contributor Top 5s. Asterisks indicate the number of first-place picks the series got.

Space Dandy: 5****
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: 5**
Ping Pong: The Animation: 4*
Mushi-Shi: The Next Chapter: 4
Barakamon: 3
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks: 3
Parasyte: The Animation: 3
Shirobako: 2*
Chaika The Coffin Princess: 2
Hanayamata: 2
Hozuki no Reitetsu: 2
Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure: 2
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis: 2
Tokyo Ghoul: 2
Your Lie in April: 2
Yona of the Dawn: 1*
Yowamushi Pedal: 1*
Engaged to the Unidentified: 1
Free: Eternal Summer: 1
Terror in Resonance: 1
This World is Still Beautiful: 1
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: 1

Observations: Space Dandy was either #1 or #2 or not ranked, suggesting that there was little middle ground between being wowed by it and being "meh" towards it. I also find it quite interesting that both of the top two - and six of the ten #1s - were primarily or entirely comedies.

As to the question someone raised about why Tokyo Ghoul didn't pop up more: I cannot speak for the others, but I was turned off by the torture episode and the ambiguously undefined ending. (The gore factor was definitely not an issue, since I commonly ate meals while watching the show.) Even without those, though, I doubt I would have even considered it, as I often thought it pushed way too hard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also find it quite interesting that both of the top two - and six of the ten #1s - were primarily or entirely comedies.

More specifically, 6 of the #1's went to one of those top 2 comedies. Yet there's only 2 other comedies on the whole list, and everyone who ranked them put them in 5th place! (Unless there's a comedy in there I'm missing other than Engaged to the Unidentified and Hozuki no Reitetsu.) Anime comedy really is very hit-or-miss, it seems.

(Edit: Right, JoJo. Maybe I'll label that as absurdism.)

For my part, Nozaki-kun was great, but Space Dandy was ick. Seems it falls under the same umbrella as Cowboy Bebop of "things a large subset of the anime community, which does not include me, absolutely adores."

Hozuki no Reitetsu I didn't like either because it was The Office-style "comedy." Engaged to the Unidentified seemed alright, but I didn't watch much... honestly, it's pretty hard to get me hooked on a comedy. Nozaki-kun is the first anime to pull that off since Senyuu, which sorta cheated by being a 3-minute-episode deal.
Randamo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
My choices were

1. Ping Pong
2. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
3. Space Dandy
4. Barakamon
5. Nobunaga Concerto

But I only felt that 1 and 2 were deserving of high rankings. I'm slightly offended a show like Nisekoi (which I feel is the biggest waste of time I invested this year) got a higher rating than Ping Pong, but at least a good amount of the reviewers realised it's greatness.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Blank lost after all! Laughing

Didn't watch much, but here are my faves:

1. No Game, No Life
2. Akatsuki no Yona
3. Hanayamata
4. Aldnoah.Zero
5. Dragonar Academy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9