• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Streams Sound! Euphonism Anime's Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Sylvia of Wings wrote:
In all this discussion of KyoAni and their past works, I'm kinda surprised Free! Iwatobi Swim Club hasn't been brought up yet... It's pretty similar in premise to their other series, only it's cute guys in some club doing cute things. It's also a different target demographic than a lot of their series; the fujioshi-bait is strong with this series. I happen to love this series because the water animation is gorgeous, the characters are loveable (and most definitely not blobs), and there are both touching and hilarious moments.

I am, however, somewhat intrigued by this new series and think I will give it a try. At least the art is really pretty...

Free = K-on = this show. It's a group of one gender in a club acting cute, the gender it's aimed at is irrelevant. Kyoani can make one show well apparently, and the show they can make is the lowest common denominator.

Youth is a byword for romance usually - but who knows.

@Sunny Milk

Every and all Idol and cute girls doing cute things (or guys, see above) is targeted at otaku/fujoshi. KyoAni pretty much exclusively caters to that demographic so I really don't know what you're watching.

If anything the shounen demographic is the least 'otaku' one since it's so widespread. KyoAni's recent series have been on the border of shounen but always bounced back into moeblob and otaku territory.

Kyoukai no Kanata had a clumsy/cutesy Main character and had an idol scene for god sake - it was a butchering of a potentially serious, deep world.

Tamako market was moeblob - it was also shit and the sales reflected that.

Amagi Brilliant park started okay...then they introduced creepily perverted stuffed animals, a fair amount of fanservice and generic otaku character. All to cater to otaku.

Free was made to cater to Fujoushi...so it's no better than otaku-pandering.

Chuunibyou was at least okay, with a semi coherent plot and characters.

Hyouka was great - because they changed about 4 words from the book and just threw money at it.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
"Every and all Idol and cute girls doing cute things (or guys, see above) is targeted at otaku/fujoshi. KyoAni pretty much exclusively caters to that demographic so I really don't know what you're watching."

Except, you know, KyoAni isn't doing idol shows, and don't focus on cute girls being cute. Exclusively caters to that demographic? Please, tell me what catered to them in the recent years?
Even Chuuni Ren became casual catering, while otaku were left in the dark with it becoming syrupy and the lewd angles gone, etc. Tamako Market was a retarded whole family cuteness, nothing more. Not remotely otaku catering.
We have to go back to Chuuni (first)/K-On to get to a title that even remotely was targeted towards them.

You're saying they bounced back to otaku targeting, when that is not true. KnK was 100% shounen (the idol episode was the only shoutout to otaku, but really, it was just a parody), and everything else didn't even try. The mascots' humor is infantile/teen pandering, and the only female character that was worth/shown at all is Sento (aside from one episode for the fairies). Don't even mention the princess.
The fact that the mascots got more screentime than the girls is already a pretty solid evidence the otaku wasn't the target demographic. And obviously, they thought Latifa's bath scene should be cut out - you can be ure not because they thought otaku would be offended.

Say what you want, KyoAni is among the most open-to-casual studios now, and the furthest away from otaku, maybe only second to studios like Madhouse.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
With the staff comprising of people that have worked on KyoAni shows that I have strongly liked and with the "nice-looking" PV, I should be more excited, but I'm not sure how much trust I should place in the studio, given how much they seem to have given themselves into repeating particular themes/characteristics and tropes.

At face value, it looks like another grab at doing something K-ON-esque (too much so here) and otaku-grabbing, but on the other hand, it harkens back a little to the old "classic" KyoAni days with the first season of Haruhi. Hopefully it will be more of that than what has been put out lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I love these haters, they waste their time trying to convince other people about their superior taste while kyoani is counting their money all the way to the bank.

Kyoani is the best studio in Japan kids, just get over it. Amagi was animated by the younger generation and was still pretty [expletive] good, hahaha.

K-on is a masterpiece in comparison with the garbage that Oshii and Tomino are doing now. Yamada has more talent in one finger that all those overrated guys and you know it.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I find the premise pretty meh, but dang did the music of the PV grab my attention. I'll definitely be giving this anime a shot when it airs. I could never get into K-On, so hopefully the show will be as interesting and entertaining as its music and keep my attention for the long run.
king 47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
All this Kyoani talk reminds me of every season's ANN preview guide comment section. Every season has people bitching about the same stuff, usually the same people. You'd think would people stop complaining about the same stuff after ten or so times. I'm sure we'll see that next week.

There is no one that hates the hardcore otaku and fanservice/otaku-pandering than myself. But even I can't complain about a studio's decisions. If I don't like what a studio, or person does, I'll refrain from watching. But I can't dislike a studio for doing something that isn't exactly what I want.

What I like about Kyoani is that their shows tend to be clean. So I don't want them to be like the other studios, I'd rather have some variety. No cheap panty shots, no cheap 'he fell and his hands accidentally touched her boobs' and that stuff. And if it happened I don't recall it.
Granted, I dropped Amagi pretty early on because it was a steaming pile of hot sh*t. So I don't know what happened in that show.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Say what you want, KyoAni is among the most open-to-casual studios now, and the furthest away from otaku, maybe only second to studios like Madhouse.

Just wondering, what is your definition for otaku? To me, it seems like when you say otaku, you're talking about people who would only be satisfied by shows like Highschool DxD and To Love Ru. Am I wrong?

You've mentioned stuff like this a few times when talking about otaku:
Sunny milk wrote:
Even Chuuni Ren became casual catering, while otaku were left in the dark with it becoming syrupy and the lewd angles gone

So, I'm just wondering if, when you say otaku, you're basically saying perverts. Laughing

Anyway, all the mentions of older KyoAni series hurts me. Mainly because of Hyouka...not only do I believe that we won't be seeing more anime made for that series, but no English licensor has picked it up. Sad
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
I love these haters, they waste their time trying to convince other people about their superior taste while kyoani is counting their money all the way to the bank.

Kyoani is the best studio in Japan kids, just get over it. Amagi was animated by the younger generation and was still pretty [expletive] good, hahaha.

K-on is a masterpiece in comparison with the garbage that Oshii and Tomino are doing now. Yamada has more talent in one finger that all those overrated guys and you know it.

Are you kidding me. Please show me all the deep meaningful plotlines that Kyoani have made in the last 5 years - what was that, there are none. It's got nothing to do with tastes - it's about waste of talent on shows which could literally be made by any other studio. Let's do a comparison - my favourite studio is Shaft - yet I will [expletive] slate them when they trot out garbage like Graffiti cooking.

I don't think that all anime have to have deep plots or be amazing - having harems, cheap gag series, etc are fine. The problem is you don't NEED such a large animation budget to make those series, every studio makes them and usually on the cheap.

Sure Kyoani are good - at animating. Are they technically the best? Hard to say, but they certainly don't make badly animated series ever. They can't tell a story for shit though and like to make the same anime over and over again.

Amagi was nothing short of okay. Vaguely funny series which felt like it had fanservice shoved in for no reason, it'd have been fine without it and it wasn't funny. Just to stop you raging that I don't like fan service, see my favorite studio - I also keep up To-Love-Ru. Fanservice is fine in the right series and in the right place - when out of place it can easily cheapen a series.

I don't hate KyoAni - but I don't have to like their series either. I can also appreciate their animation without liking them - so I do. Back in the day they had a nice mix of genre's - now they have slice of life with various clubs and with new paintjobs.

Also for the above poster about Hyouka; You can find the first and second novel if you look around and of the 5 novels, the anime covers 4. So there's no more material to be animated and I'd rather castrate myself than KyoAni try to make an anime original series.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

Um, otaku are obsessionists. Be it military, doll, anime etc.
That is not something to be proud of, or not something that an average anime fan is.

It depends on degree - I think that most worthwhile inventions/discoveries/projects depend on some degree of obsession (and being able to switch away from that when necessary also).

I've been asked if I was a train fan while in Japan (visited 8 times so far) and I've answered yes, but I'd also try to see and experience many other kinds of things while over there - not being one to exclusively follow one interest.
sburstall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to find either the novels and/or that manga and get a feel for the series. The cover of the novel (I'm assume #1) did have guys on it, so I don't see it being in the same vein of K-ON!
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Thanks for going so much in length about how you use the western definition of the word.
Go to japan, tell people you are an otaku, and see the disgusted looks in their eyes. It is by no means as mild as "a person who enjoys watching anime".
Not that I mind. The fact remains, all recent series from them are targeted to shounen, or more casual watchers.

I also don't mean "ecchi and harem". Some of them fall in the catergory, but some doesn't. For example many SOL series are indeed made with otaku in mind. It's just that KyoAni doesn't mean any shows for them. Not any longer.
And obviously this one is being made for "more refined and mature" people, and lovers of romance as well probably.

It is not within my control what others think of the otaku fanbase, and I am fine with that. As long as I myself is satisfied with whatever I am doing, it does not concern me what others think. I apologize if my previous post was a bit too critical. I go over my head sometimes when I am in the mood.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk, I don't get why you feel like Kyoto Animation is swearing off the direction they've been going in before 2015. Before this show it was, what, Tamako Market? You're making it out as if Kyo Ani is like a born again Christian, breaking ties with the friends that led them down a bad road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Brass band is cool! Awesome!
alf_lying

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Granted, I dropped Amagi pretty early on because it was a steaming pile of hot sh*t. So I don't know what happened in that show.

The first two episodes aren't like the rest of the show.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Also for the above poster about Hyouka; You can find the first and second novel if you look around and of the 5 novels, the anime covers 4.

Ah, so only one book left. I don't read digitally, just out of preference, so I'll never end up reading the novels. Oh well, it was a nice series. Just disappointed no one has licensed the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5