• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Virtue of Curiosity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) of the initial Japanese video releases is at a fixed rate after their initial television run, and has been mentioned, a low episode count per set (I have volumes 1 and 2 of Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince from Japan purely for the extras, which are completely missing from the western release).

Perhaps for the Japanese a dvd/blu-ray every 2 weeks with 2 episodes on it gives optimal returns to publisher whilst not leaving so much of a gap between releases that the buyers drop out of the habit of buying them?
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
katscradle wrote:
Quote:
And I have a hard time believing adults that don't have some sort of positive experience with Anime in their youth will be likely to try either an animated film or series from Japan.

Sorry to have to contradict you. The very first anime I ever saw was a couple of blind buy VHS tapes when I was 52. That was several years ago and I'm still watching anime. It is possible.

Touma wrote:
^
I was even older than that when I started.
When I was in my youth I doubt that I was even aware that there was such a thing as anime.

A positive experience when young is definitely not necessary, but I am sure that it does not hurt either.
I actually wish that I had been exposed to anime when I was much younger.

Both of you are awesome. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm New, Does anyone know the name of the anime used for the cover picture? I've looked all over for it and haven't found it and could really appreciate the help.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"}

Live action serial TV? Too easily undone by aging actors and real life situations but Angel and Fringe came to closest to actually doing something with it. I've hated Game of Thrones right from the first season {and the book series since Feast for Crows} and I only made it through the first season of Walking Dead. Hey, guess where that story will go? People, zombies, locations... ha, wait. Vampires? Aliens? Come on, surprise me.

Dragons. Ben Linus from Lost. Anything. Something. And this is from a fan of George Romero zombie films but he had brains, I mean, wit.[/quote]

As a fan of Walking Dead, i can tell you it's just zombies but the focus is on the survivors the whole time. And yes, like GoT, they often kill off major characters. Also, there is a unique twist to the series: spoiler[It's revealed that everyone is infected with the zombie virus so that when someone dies (unless if was from serious head trauma) they turn into a zombie!] But Game of Thrones I don't watch because I don't get HBO and I'm reluctant to try it because HBO has a tendency to overboard with the whole nudity (mostly) and violence thing.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
#831193 wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the anime used for the cover picture?

Ultraviolet: Code 44
The only reason that I know is because I saw it somewhere else in the forums recently, but I cannot remember where.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
#831193 wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the anime used for the cover picture?

Ultraviolet: Code 44
The only reason that I know is because I saw it somewhere else in the forums recently, but I cannot remember where.

Thanks I appreciate it. Smile
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Airing reruns in random order has always been confusing to me, as it sounds like it's more work to produce less.

It's probably more work to look up production codes rather than just slapping in a random episode to play, especially since they're pretty episodic.

Animegomaniac wrote:
TV's "Let keep this going as long as we can" serial format is not even close to anime's classic "We got 26 episodes, let's tell a story" serial format. It's more like WSJ's long runners with a lot less creative oversight and an even more forgiving fanbase.

I used to watch 24 back in the day and this is what killed it for me. So many of these shows just don't know when to end, and generally only end once the ratings dry up. Supernatural was supposed to end after 5 seasons. They're now going into their 11th season. And unlike your WSJ shows, they're not based on a source material that's written by one guy with a main storyline which makes them far less consistent. Legend of Korra's writers pretty much accommodated for the threat of random cancellation by writing each season as a stand-alone, so when they got cancelled it wouldn't be nearly as bad as if they were doing one main plotline and then got cancelled before they could end it. That's why there's no real central plot to the show. Season-by-season seems to be how a lot of American TV is written, at least the smarter ones who realize it'd be a huge risk to try to make your entire series one storyline when a network can axe you whenever it feels like.

Another issue with live-action shows that go on that long is casting issues which is why certain characters just dropped from the series with no real explanation. Unlike drawings, real actors can decide to move on from a show, get into contract disputes, or die. Voice-actors are easily replaced, but try to replace live-action actors and you get situations like Darren in Bewitched, Aunt Vivian in Fresh Prince, or Becky in Roseanne where it's awkward and can ruin a show for some people.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Perhaps for the Japanese a dvd/blu-ray every 2 weeks with 2 episodes on it gives optimal returns to publisher whilst not leaving so much of a gap between releases that the buyers drop out of the habit of buying them?

While a few shows have had a release schedule like this, about 99% of them release monthly.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
That's always been one of the big appeals of anime to me, just how character driven it is, it's all about the characters, from the headiest stuff to the most lowbrow fanservice show, every anime tries to create characters that you'll love and remember, even if they fail at it.
Maokun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Iñárritu is definitely being curmudgeonly. Just think about movies from the 80's. Robocop, Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future, Rambo, Rocky, Predator, Ghostbusters, Short Circuit, etc., etc. They set out to elicit the same kind of emotions that modern superhero movies do. I'd even argue that modern superhero movies are superior in that they spend more time in character development, go out of their way to show the protagonist as a somewhat flawed and definitely not invincible human beings and that they try to create a more relatable frame of reference.

It's the age old complaint from people who prefer things being slow, cerebral and artsy and believe that anything that is not, is contemptible "junk food" by default.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Not to say there haven't been near hits. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes came close in the first season undone by one producer who thought the idea of the serial show was wrong. Season 2? Stand alone episodes!

A good chunk of season 2's episodes tied into episodes from the first season, arcs from within the same season, and to future arcs that ultimately never happened. If season 2 was nothing but standalone episodes that's certainly news to me.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Maokun wrote:
Iñárritu is definitely being curmudgeonly. Just think about movies from the 80's. Robocop, Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future, Rambo, Rocky, Predator, Ghostbusters, Short Circuit, etc., etc. They set out to elicit the same kind of emotions that modern superhero movies do. I'd even argue that modern superhero movies are superior in that they spend more time in character development, go out of their way to show the protagonist as a somewhat flawed and definitely not invincible human beings and that they try to create a more relatable frame of reference.

Implying that the likes of Alex Murphy, Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Marty McFly, John Rambo, Rocky Balboa, Dutch Schaefer, and Peter Venkman somehow aren't flawed, fallible, and/or relatable is itself a flawed argument, but that's neither here nor there.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
And I have a hard time believing adults that don't have some sort of positive experience with Anime in their youth will be likely to try either an animated film or series from Japan.

I was 39 when I saw Evangelion on SBS in Oz, which I watched because I've been an SF fan since my youth. When I came back from a decade of working in Oz and was underemployed, which would have been my mid-40's, I looked up the series from a Signal list of top 10 SF anime. That was back in the days when Netflix by mail was a way to have a running supply of content, so I watched a bunch of stuff from the 90's and early Aughties on a three disk subscription, with one disk in the DVD player, one disk on the way, and one disk on the way back.

A couple of years later Crunchyroll went legit, and that was pretty much that.

Quote:
I was just at a dinner party last week (and I'm not even sure how the topic arose) but, one of the men commented on the Japanese being really pedophilic in their animation.

That gentleman would not strike me as part of the ideal target market. If targeting potential new viewers among 35+, you'd not be focusing on those who jump to conclusions like that. You'd rather be targeting a more cosmopolitan and open-minded segment of that demo.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised anyone doesn't like bloopers. I love them! It's so much fun to hear something ridiculous from the actors in what usually would be a serious show. Or at least not like the show itself. Yes much of them are "staged" but I think there's something more to that. Many of the lower paid overseas VAs are friends. They will actually plant ridiculous and funny lines that aren't used in the actual show for the next actor to come in and hear which throws them off. Then they will make up their own lines for the next actor and so on. I think that's how most of the blooper reels are formed. It also is worth noting that in Japan, everyone is in the same booth while recording but over here everyone takes separate turns. Without that dynamic I can imagine there are less outtakes in Japan. Even so, I would LOVE to see some of these "NGs" in anime. I hope one day they release some!
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
katscradle wrote:

I was 39 when I saw Evangelion on SBS in Oz, which I watched because I've been an SF fan since my youth. When I came back from a decade of working in Oz and was underemployed, which would have been my mid-40's, I looked up the series from a Signal list of top 10 SF anime. That was back in the days when Netflix by mail was a way to have a running supply of content, so I watched a bunch of stuff from the 90's and early Aughties on a three disk subscription, with one disk in the DVD player, one disk on the way, and one disk on the way back.

A couple of years later Crunchyroll went legit, and that was pretty much that.

Quote:
I was just at a dinner party last week (and I'm not even sure how the topic arose) but, one of the men commented on the Japanese being really pedophilic in their animation.

That gentleman would not strike me as part of the ideal target market. If targeting potential new viewers among 35+, you'd not be focusing on those who jump to conclusions like that. You'd rather be targeting a more cosmopolitan and open-minded segment of that demo.

No, probably not ideal. I was being harsh when I wrote what I did, so I'm glad you and other forum users shared getting into Anime later.

I'm usually not so pessimistic. I've lived in many different places and know or have met people sharing similar negative opinions about anime here or there. So while the opinion doesn't surprise me, it also seldom merits a lot of consideration. However, he was the third person to say something like that in the last few weeks. Unfortunately the unusual frequency led me to give it more credence than normal. (Still, wish I knew what prompted it or, didn't think it was impolite conversation.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5