• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Trips to the Anime Underworld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
A supposedly definitive list and 43 posts and not one mention of Hell Girl?
Maltaotaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I did mention hell girl, check again in page 2
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Viz has never let go of the licenses for any of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. The only anime of hers they didn't have was Urusei Yatsura. They had the manga for that and couldn't sell it.

On Maison Ikkoku, it sold very poorly. I remember having to scramble to find a place to even buy the last couple of sets. It would be nice if they put out a Bluray version following Ranma 1/2, but don't count on it.

Viz was a manga company that didn't really get into the anime thing until the popularity of Maison and Ranma--
Aside from the characters, the UY "Lum" manga stank, and the translation was worse, but the whole issue was that AnimEigo was already into the college-club fan scene and snapped up the anime in a miracle deal.
Unfortunately, AnimEigo remained a garage company while Viz, ADV and Pioneer became corporate empires, and UY was as trapped there as Maison was at Viz. Sad

Right now, we can pin all our hopes on Viz--we're still waiting for that last Ranma OVA/Movie set to be announced--but they're probably going to go through all their existing dubs of Maison before they get to anything else, and....oh, bad things always happen. It may be jinxed.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Maltaotaku wrote:
I did mention hell girl, check again in page 2

Well I guess you did and I missed it, but you were writing about title lifecycle and not recommending it for inclusion on this list, of which it should be near the top. So in this context it still seems like it is a neglected anime.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Viz has never let go of the licenses for any of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff. The only anime of hers they didn't have was Urusei Yatsura. They had the manga for that and couldn't sell it.

Urusei Yatsura manga from Viz was last released it in 1998. How many people were into anime/manga then? Compared to now

Manga sales didn't really break out until 2003 shortly after Shonen Jump launched and Tokyopop and Viz resized books and made them $9.99 msrp.

Anime hadn't even really broke out yet.
Dragon Ball Z started getting popular when the series was picked up in 1999 with more episodes released then the original 53 (67 Japanese episodes)

And in 2000 more so with Gundam Wing on TV and other shows and more anime DVDs coming out at the time and some new licenses like Rurouni Kenshin,Trigun,Escaflowne Cowboy Bebop etc...

Just because something wasn't a seller before the boom and in a time where only Sci Fi,action,bloody and gory stuff sold doesn't mean it can't potentially sell now.

Gundam Origin was a failure to Viz but it's a big success for Vertical Inc.

I would think if Viz did give Urusei Yatsura another go another chance with a 2 in 1 release like Ranma is getting now it would do good enough to justify 17 books to come out.

As for Rumiko Takahashi anime any one can get them.
Sentai or Funimation could get Rinne.

Anyone is welcome to get Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku.

Years ago Central Park Media had the anime of One Pound Gospel,Mermaid OVAs,and Rumic World OVAs.

It's manga from Shogakukan that no one else can get.
Well supposedly no one can license Shogakukan manga titles except Viz which is a travesty since Shogakukan seems to have the most variety and interesting stories.

Last edited by 1thought on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Um why is InuYasha listed in the "anime licenses that need rescuing" poll? I am pretty sure InuYasha is doing fine with VIZMedia for both animes and the manga.
1thought

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes for.

1.Aura Battler Dunbine -the last volumes disappeared ASAP never got a full collection release,thinpack etc.. like everything else ADV put out.

2. Hajime No Ippo (Fighting Spirit) a sports show that could really break out sports anime but all copies disappeared or sold as soon as Geneon went under.

3. Lupin III TV series 2. it would be nice to see episode 80-155.
If Geneon stuck around it might have happened. Although I do think Discotek is going to do it just won't have a dub. I do know some people liked the dub.

Last edited by 1thought on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I had to go with Monster - at least Higurashi had a full season released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Jigoku - Hell
Shoujou - Girl
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
By the way, I'm pretty amused to see milk chocolate being the top pick for the poll. I sometimes find myself surrounded by some pretty big fans of dark chocolate and I feel like the odd one out for not liking dark chocolate. (I get adverse effects from dark chocolate anyway, as I'm caffeine-sensitive.)

I also like white chocolate, but that is a dodgy topic when you're hanging out with chefs and/or foodies and/or food snobs, as some of them will have my head if I tell them I like white chocolate but dislike the taste of dark chocolate.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I would love for xxxHolic Kei and the OVAs to finally be licensed in the US. Sadly, I have a feeling the only way that'll happen is if Funimation can get the license for super cheap (since the first season wasn't very profitable, and Tsubasa doesn't seem like a big seller either), or Sentai picks it up like they did with series like Hell Girl.

My personal vote for a "rescue" would be Glass Mask. Yes, I know Sentai has the license for it, but obviously we'll never get the second half, so I rather a company like Discotek or Nozomi pick it up from them and finally release the second half. Although if I'm going to have to pick an actual rescue, I would say CLAMP School Detectives as I wasn't able to pick it up when Bandai had the license. Maybe also Magic Knight Rayearth, if Media Blasters no longer has the license?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
@EricJ2
AmimEigo may be a garage company, but they managed to put out all of Yursai Yatsura and keep it available until the license expired. That is more than Viz did with Maison Ikkoku. The last couple of MI box sets were hard to find from the beginning. I forget the details but I think I had to order online or by mail. The whole thing went out of print almost immediately.

I'll have to disagree with you on the quality of the Lum manga. I enjoyed it but opinions can differ. Viz really tried with Lum, possibly too hard. The first run was square bound with stiff covers and a higher cover price. They also tried running episodes in Animerica Magazine. They tried again under the title The Return of Lum and still couldn't make it go. The only other title I can remember Viz or any other manga company trying twice was Silent Mobius. They managed to finish that one on the second try.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
They really need to reword the poll title better, because when I read it, I thought it meant "which anime needs to be remade", with me putting down Negima as an option (not realizing it meant for shows that need a license rescue).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45,

AnimEigo's management loved UY, and even struggled two years to get the license back after some issues in '99-'01, but Viz infamously had it in for Maison from the beginning.
They wouldn't release the disks because the tapes didn't sell, and they wouldn't sell the boxsets because the first one "didn't sell". Viz is a company that needs to be protected from itself.

(And while I'm sure there are some Lum-manga fans that started with the print version and stayed loyal to Takahashi print-manga, the first season of the TV series is proof enough to why other people could tell her stories better.
You just DON'T expect the print version to generate the same kind of love as the cult that Oshii's TV version had, and whatever novelty the manga had has either transferred to the TV version, or been swept up by the fact that we have other romantic-comedy mangas now.
And again, try telling that to Viz, who still believe that anime is "manga titles that talk".)
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
....Not sure why "Highschool of the Dead" is on the list. Didn't it just get some big fancy release or something on DVD? I remember seeing it advertised at least twice in the anime mags I read at Barnes & Noble.

Inuyasha doesn't make sense either: It's readily and easily available in a few formats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7