• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unsympathetic Illustration of Refugee Sparks Uproar in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Incidentally, there's a whole lot of conservative people who identify as Christian that are also very much against many of these charity related issues, such as helping illegal immigrants or the migrants, increasing money spent on welfare and so forth. Enough I think to disprove your supposition that Christianity has something to do with it.

There's quite a lot of scholarly analysis linking overall lack of charitable giving in Japan to lack of historical judeo-christian influence. It's not a particularly controversial theory.

See for example:

Matsubara, A. and Todoroki, H. (2003), Japan's "Culture of Giving" and Nonprofit Organizations, Tokyo, Japan, Coalition for Legislation to Support Citizens' Organizations (C's).
or
Tucker, M.E. (1998), "A view of philanthropy in Japan: Confusion ethics and education in Warren F. Ilchman, Stanley N. Katz, & Edward L Queen II (eds.), Philanthropy in the World's Traditions, Bloomington, IN, Indiana University Press, pp.169–193.

I'm talking about long-term historic influence here, not about the religion as it stands and operates today influencing these people's opinions one way or the other. You could barely even form a non-profit corporation here in this country until the 2000s because of the way the laws were written. There have been structural and cultural barriers in Japan to charitable giving until really just the past 10 years or so, and it influences how people here think about issues like these.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

That isn't really fair nor are you onto anything with your religion comment. In terms of foreign aid, Japan was 5th in 2012 (http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-doners-of-foreigner-aid-map.html) it is pretty much on the level of comparable Christian majority nations. That is really closer to the kind of statistic you should be looking at because it is about helping people aside from citizens of your country.

I'm guessing you're talking about the World Giving Index which isn't actually based on how much anyone gave. France is also basically right there with Japan.

The whole christian morality reasoning is a load of crap.

I suppose I should have said "a cultural history of western philanthropy". The foreign aid list is mostly about how much the government gives, it's not a reflection of individuals citizen's charitable activity as compared to the world giving index. As for why france is low, that's another interesting question people can argue about.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
What has being an Refugee to do something with Religion? Are they not Humans? Do they do not have a right of Dignity? Are these Refugees just a Number in someone Report? Are they Subhumans to us?

Do we forget that there are Humans behind the name "Refugee"?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I suppose I should have said "a cultural history of western philanthropy". The foreign aid list is mostly about how much the government gives, it's not a reflection of individuals citizen's charitable activity as compared to the world giving index. As for why france is low, that's another interesting question people can argue about.

You could have, but then that becomes pretty trivial. Non-western countries not having a history of western philanthropy? So? What should matter is that they are giving. Does it really matter if they give in a particular way? I would say it doesn't. Aid doesn't help some one in need more or less because of the way it was gathered.

France being low means that no, you can't really trace it back to Christian morality teachings. Could that be a contributing factor? Maybe. Saying you can trace it back is a dishonest and misleading way to say it at best.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Believing there's a cultural trend or force tied up with Christianity is pretty different from saying "you can trace it all back to the lack of Christian morality teachings."

But also, for any "research" relating to sociology, culture, and so forth, it all must be viewed with a cynical eye, because absolutely none of it is provable. You can quote statistics and such, but ultimately those will never prove the cause. Also just because a sociological paper has been published on the topic, it does not mean the person who wrote it is particularly trusted either, and I do not have the means to determine how respected those authors even are. But even if they are the truth, I think it's not good to use them to apply generalizations on a specific issue.

Last edited by meruru on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Look, most of those immigrants are economic refugees. They have 5000$ to give to guides, and they have spending money once they reach Germany. The real helpless people are stuck back home. I don't understand why Merkel is dumb enough to allow this invasion in Germany. So yeah, this illustration is spot on.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Gotta hurry up and kill all that ISIS so they can go back to their homelands in peace. And then also "appropriate" their antiquities to European and American museums for safekeeping, indefinitely. Sorry Egypt/Dr. Hawass, Nefertiti's bust is safer in Germany.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
@Utsuro no Hako: Yeah, because the corruption in Latin-America, the crime and the poor economy of Venezuela is *all* our fault. Wait a minute. No it isn't. It's the fault of these countries. Whatever the US has done in the past or even now, it is merely a symptom.

Yes, if only democratically elected governments in Latin-America hadn't pursued policies counter to US business interests, we never would've had to support military coup d'etats and death squads. Clearly it's all their fault, and we have no responsibility for the long term ramifications of our actions.

Quote:
Also, the Middle-East has been unstable since the emergence of Islam, more than 1000 years before the existence of any country called the United States of America and more than 1000 years before most modern European sovereign states. Just saying.

And Europe was unstable for rough abouts 1500 years between the collapse of the Western Roman Empire and the end of the Cold War -- and you'd be hard pressed to find anything in Islamic history as devastating as the Thirty Years and Napoleonic Wars, let alone the two World Wars; only the Crusades and the Mongol invasions come close, and those were both external threats.

But hey, let's keep pretending that Muslims are all bloody savages unlike enlightened Europeans.

samuelp wrote:

One problem with numbers on charitable donations is that giving to a church is often counted regardless of how much of that money actually goes to charity as opposed to upkeep on church property and paying the pastor.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seska1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
These Lines that create the Fire. Who wrote them? Are they really from a pre-teen Girl? How much seriousness is inside them? So, is it not more that someone put this Words in her Mouth?

Oh, nevermind. Religion Shitstorms is better, you just needed a spark. Go on. blame Islam and Christianity.
Botan_TM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

But hey, let's keep pretending that Muslims are all bloody savages unlike enlightened Europeans.

Did Muslims ever said sorry for centuries of abducting Africans as slaves and Europeans Christian women as sex slaves? Centuries of piracy in Mediterranean? Capturing Christian child and training them as a fanatic soldiers? Bloody conquests in India? Eradication and humiliation of Christians in North Africa, Spain, Middle East, Byzantium and Balkans? Destroying today almost forgotten religions in Iraq and Persia?

Do you really want to play a game who did more evil things? Are you sure throwing blame on one side is a good idea and it will solve anything?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Humans of New York is currently interviewing refugees in Greece to tell their experience of coming over. I think the "rich people with thousands to spend coming for economic gain" is a wide brush to sweep this situation with.

http://www.humansofnewyork.com/post/130085731641/my-husband-and-i-sold-everything-we-had-to-afford
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Welp, the comments on this one are quickly eroding my faith in humanity. I never thought ANN would have this high a concentration of people buying into the nonsensical anti-refugee BS doing the rounds.

As far as I'm concerned, refugees are welcome in my own country. For generations the rest of the world took in the Irish when we were poor and desperate, it's time to return the favour.

DmonHiro wrote:
Look, most of those immigrants are economic refugees. They have 5000$ to give to guides, and they have spending money once they reach Germany. The real helpless people are stuck back home. I don't understand why Merkel is dumb enough to allow this invasion in Germany. So yeah, this illustration is spot on.

They're fleeing war, not poverty. How much money they have is irrelevant, because money doesn't prevent you from getting blown to pieces or pressed into fighting.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
If we begin to Hate each other because of this "Refugees". How do you think will win? They ones that created this mess... And while we are beating the crap out of our selfs, they are laughing and fill their bellies with Stuff this Refugees had to left behind and Womans that could not run away... Oh.. i begin to drive offtopic...
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
the wanna be pacifists often like to be vocal

i would love to see them help these people using their own money and resources instead just leaving them to the system
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Could that be a contributing factor? Maybe. Saying you can trace it back is a dishonest and misleading way to say it at best.
Please tell me how many Eastern religions are dedicated to charity in the same way Christianity is. How many Eastern religions inspire people to leave everything behind and dedicate their lives to the poor?

Name me any other religion which exalted the poor/disenfranchised as much as Christianity has, to the point that the Supreme Being chose to be born as a peasant and live among them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6