• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Dub Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Release Gundam Build Fighters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why are we talking about accents again? It's a non-issue, first of all. Secondly, even if it was an issue, it's kind of stupid not to expect such a thing. I mean, gasp! American dubs for American audiences with American accents! Wow! My mind is now blown! Next you'll say that shows made for Belfast denizens have Belfast accents!

It's a non-issue. You're not even the target audience. If "accents" bother you so much, why don't you watch something "without" accents? In other words, you have no right to listen or watch anything.

Only American and Anglo-Canadian opinions on North-American English dubs matter. Hell, the overwhelming majority, if not all British anime dub fans prefer dubs from North America. That's a fact, not an opinion. No-one in Britain likes British VAs above American VAs. They don't give a shit about the accents.

If you don't like the overwhelming majority of English dubs based of a non-factor, then you're not really a dub fan and in that case, why are commenting on this issue? If you don't like dubs, then don't talk about them.

The target audience is "English speakers", most US companies now acquire content for multiple regions and so are not just dubbing it for their domestic audience, but also the international markets they have brought. And actually, most shows in Belfast have English accents, TV is way more networked in the UK, so unless it's news or the few hours of regional programming they have, the accent is likely to be a neutral English accent...

It's not accents, it's not general American accents, it's not LA accents, it's not NY accents, it's not Texas accents, it is that single accent that is used, that single annoying affectation that nobody uses in real life, yet seemingly is the only accent anybody ever uses in anime dubbing. What is so difficult to understand about that? And it's something Bang Zoom and others are specifically doing, because FUNimation's are never that grating.

That's not really a fair comparison, as to my knowledge, the only company that dubs anything in the UK any more is Anime Ltd. and I've yet to hear a single complaint about any of their dubs.

Also, we had this discussion on a British forum a while back, the general consensus was that most American accents are done in the accent and overly cheery "my father's just died, but I can't stop smiling" manner I talked about, but that it's up to the individual whether they find that annoying or not.

I will say again, I have no problem with dubs, but unfortunately only FUNi seem to able to do it without using that annoying put on accent. I think we should move on now.

Just-another-face wrote:
Second, what part of that video are you referring to exactly? Give me an exact minutes-and-seconds segment.

The entire opening prologue is doing it. I don't think there's a single line that doesn't have it in the first 30 seconds.

Maybe you're used to it as an American, but that's not an accent normal people have, it's this weird put-on accent that's only used in VO and children's advertising. I find it annoying (although FCB just about gets away with it), clearly others don't.

I think we should just move on now, before this gets any more heated than it is already (and I wasn't intentionally being smarmy, so sorry if I offended you Sad)...
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
Sunrise. I'm watching you bro.

RnG and Build fighters are new shows.

Either we will get insanely priced versions with no translated extras. (The Origin BDs since they are simultaneous releases. Costing as much as twice as much as the Japanese version)

Inferior Video quality. (If they give us BDs, yes I am THAT skeptical)

Or DVD only. (Why else do you think we only got Turn-A on DVD? They are still trying to scam Japanese users into buying their overpriced releases) (please, gtfo Sunrise)

Why not re-release Unicorn in a single BD collection for 70$?

You've already got my pre-orders for both 0079 sets. Since they are actually, you know. Reasonable.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Sunrise. I'm watching you bro.

Or DVD only. (Why else do you think we only got Turn-A on DVD? They are still trying to scam Japanese users into buying their overpriced releases) (please, gtfo Sunrise)

From what I've heard, the Turn A ball was in RightStuf's court and they chose DVD-only. UK distributor Anime Limited asked about a blu-ray and were told they had to match the US as much as possible.

So your paranoia is at least partially justified...
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

Maybe you're used to it as an American, but that's not an accent normal people have, it's this weird put-on accent that's only used in VO and children's advertising. I find it annoying (although FCB just about gets away with it), clearly others don't.

I have actually never heard of such a dub complaint before, that is whats weird to me. I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds more like your talking about the way the actors perform, not an accent so I don't know why you kept saying that. Yes voices in anime usually never sound like normal people, that is nothing new and its the same for the Japanese. If you think the Japanese normally talk like they do in most anime then your crazy.

Buzz201 wrote:
That's not really a fair comparison, as to my knowledge, the only company that dubs anything in the UK any more is Anime Ltd. and I've yet to hear a single complaint about any of their dubs.

Anime Ltd. doesn't dub do they? I haven't heard of a UK anime dub since the 90's...
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Buzz201 wrote:

I have actually never heard of such a dub complaint before, that is whats weird to me. I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds more like your talking about the way the actors perform, not an accent so I don't know why you kept saying that. Yes voices in anime usually never sound like normal people, that is nothing new and its the same for the Japanese. If you think the Japanese normally talk like they do in most anime then your crazy.

Buzz201 wrote:

Anime Ltd. doesn't dub do they? I haven't heard of a UK anime dub since the 90's...

It's a particular style/accent they put on for the work and it really annoys me, maybe it is the performance style, but FUNi's directors seem to avoid it well if it is . And I don't expect the Japanese VAs to use their normal voice, but it's significantly less annoying when they perform, because they don't use the specific style that annoys me.

I believe Anime Limited have done one or two of the films they Kickstarted ultimate releases of, but nothing major.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

It's a particular style/accent they put on for the work and it really annoys me, maybe it is the performance style, but FUNi's directors seem to avoid it well if it is . And I don't expect the Japanese VAs to use their normal voice, but it's significantly less annoying when they perform, because they don't use the specific style that annoys me.

You think all the actors always change and adjust an accent and that its always part of the production? I never heard of such a thing. It really just sounds like your talking about anime voice performances here, not accents.

As for Anime Limited, they Kickstarted Patema Inverted(dubbed by NYAV) which uses many of the same actors that Bang Zoom does.Even when the UK kickstarts an anime they hire from North America because I don't think there is any anime dubbing studio in the UK.

Last edited by levonr on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

I believe Anime Limited have done one or two of the films they Kickstarted ultimate releases of, but nothing major.

Anime Limited dubs with American studios. I believe they tend towards NYAV Post.

Also, the whole accent thing is kind of a weird thing to be arguing about from my perspective. Dub something in America and you're going to get an American accent. Also American accents exist in extremely wide varieties across the country; ask any linguist worth their salt.

I would be interested to here from someone fully fluent in spoken Japanese on how they hear the differences between accents or dialects used in anime. I bet over in Japan, there is the same thing where there is a "main accent" used pronouncing the one or two dialects that you tend to hear spoken in media like anime. Just like in the U.S. where it's apparently some kind of Midwest accent that is accepted as "newsworthy".
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
Anime Limited dubs with American studios. I believe they tend towards NYAV Post.

Also, the whole accent thing is kind of a weird thing to be arguing about from my perspective. Dub something in America and you're going to get an American accent. Also American accents exist in extremely wide varieties across the country; ask any linguist worth their salt.

It's not any American accent, I don't have a problem with normal American accents, it's a specific type/style of delivery that's used. If they used a normal American accent I'd be fine, but they don't, they use this weird one.

Maybe my hearing's just super-sensitive, or more likely I'm just weird Smile...
levonr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

It's not any American accent, I don't have a problem with normal American accents, it's a specific type/style of delivery that's used. If they used a normal American accent I'd be fine, but they don't, they use this weird one.

Maybe my hearing's just super-sensitive, or more likely I'm just weird Smile...

What specific accent change are you even talking about? When the ADR director tells the actor to do what you think they do what is it called? They aren't changing their accent to begin with. Anime dubbing these days usually stay far away from doing any accent adjustments, its actually rare because its so hard to do.

Its the acting style. That is where I notice a difference, its nothing to do with accents.

(This conversation is getting weird Razz Probably best to stop and get back to Gundam)

Last edited by levonr on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
What specific accent change are you even talking about? When the ADR director tells the actor to do what you think they do what is it called? They aren't changing their accent to begin with. Anime dubbing these days usually stay far away from doing any accent adjustments, its actually rare because its so hard to do.

Its the acting style. That is where I notice a difference, its nothing to do with accents.

That's exactly it.

What Buzz201 is talking about is indicative of the new crowd of VAs that have recently joined LA dubs of anime. Christina Vee, Christine Marie Cabanos (who is the grade-A offender of this), The three Ericas, Max Mittelman, Kenji Tang, Lucien Dodge, Kira Buckland, etc.

All of these VAs were amateurs at one point, doing fandubs and such. They are anime fans, and they trained themselves to pitch-match the Japanese VAs and try to sound as close as an American can sound like the original Japanese VA. Now that they have gone professional, that type of performance is ingrained in them. Aniplex, who personally approves all of BZ's casting, loves these new VAs because they can sound like the Japanese VAs speaking English. This has also caused some veteran VAs like Michelle Ruff to adjust their own styles to do the same in order to keep getting roles. This type of disconnect is evident in the final episodes of Bleach where some of the newcomers to the scene got roles and they had a much different inflection in their voices compared to the Bleach veterans.

FUNimation tends to not go for this, that's why their dubs tend to sound increasingly different from the BZ dubs we've been hearing in general since Madoka's dub (which was the first BZ dub to have this going on in spades). Even when a higher pitch is being used FUNi directors prefer a more "American" inflection than an "anime" inflection like what a lot of the new crowd in LA do. Sentai, similarly, also prefers a more "American" than "anime" inflection.

I'm am not necessarily saying any of this is bad or good, but I believe this is what Buzz201 is talking about.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for Wing BD, 00 BD, Seed HD BD, Destiny HD BD and G BD

Also I am bummed out that Vancouver isn't dubbing IBO, they had the best gundam dubs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
If they were literally to have dubbed all the Gundam series before this new series and released all on BD/DVD (using the prices you'd pay in the US), that would definitely be pushing $1000+.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
That's like saying the Spanish (Latino) dub of Frozen was intended for U.S audiences, Buzz. No it wasn't. You are not the main target audience for NA English dubs, Buzz. Canada and the US are. You only get those dubs by default. The anime industry is dead in the UK, so it's a non-factor. Accents don't matter, you weirdo. It's a non-factor. It's not even a nitpick. The point you're making is beyond stupid. Like I said, stop watching media if accents annoy you. Stop watching entertainment if you want "standardized" language, because NO-ONE and I repeat NO-ONE in Japan talks like they do in most anime. Your opinion means nothing to us.

@Ambimuch No they didn't. Ocean Studios sucked as a whole. A few good dubs does not erase their list of terribad dubs. Oceans couldn't be consistent if their lives depended on it. For every Death Note, you had a Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Escaflowne. These are some of the worst dubs of all time. The anti-Animaze/Bang-Zoom for sure. The SEED dubs were a bit better, but they still had awkward Kira, high pitched Lacus, stiff Shinn, etc., etc. Only a handful of mains sounded good.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1, there's a difference between expressing your opinion and stating it likes it's a fact (which you are doing). I think that this is a fact: Every dubbing studio that Sunrise has used here and in Canada for the Gundam dubs has had their good/bad dubs. When those are is subjective.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I wonder if Sunrise will commission dubs for Victory and X, since they're doing it for their other titles?

These two titles are not set to be dubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5