• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noragami Soundtrack 2 Cancelled Due to Islamic Sound Samples

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Sacred Blood wrote:
it still baffles me as to how little research some artists do for their work.

You must be new around here, as someone else said, Japanese manage to misinterpret english on a regular basis (we call it "engrish") and that is a language they are teach at school, so I bet there is no one with comprehension of arabic or farsi lives within several a hundred kilometer radius from OST author of Noragami. Also, this is not limited to islam, as any christian who saw Fate/Stay Night; nor limited to Japan, as we have seen in several hollywood blockbusters (like the last Indiana Jones flick).

Yeah, that's what I talked about.

It is realy doubtful to me that anyone at all, including the composer or producer committee was intentionally aware that they're using the religious prayer as the voice sample. And I'm confident that this incident would gone unnoticed by the creators - if it had not received (and quite justified) complaints from people who heard the track and heard a certain religious text in it.

At least, I am sure in this scenario - the soundtrack itself went on sale in the 25th of November, so it's about the two weeks since the release of the soundtrack for to do this message. Don't you find it a bit... slow?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
so when if someone finds something offensive to islam, we gotta pull it immediately. But if something is offensive to christianity, we can just mock it all we want, right?

Double standards much?

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. If the intent wasn't actually to be offensive, I don't see the big deal. Some people probably liked the track, and it is already out there now so whatever just move on.

It isn't like that potentially offending some people was going to really effect sales. I mean sure, now that it has been pointed out that they 'shouldn't do it,' they might want to keep that in mind. However, I don't see a point in them going back to censor it.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Also where were the outrage of Christians when Yuki Kajiura put a religious themed song in Noir. Or for that matter where the outage of the Bulgarians and Roma when the anime Kiba and Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa used Bulgarian and Roma songs respectively.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Also where were the outrage of Christians when Yuki Kajiura put a religious themed song in Noir. Or for that matter where the outage of the Bulgarians and Roma when the anime Kiba and Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa used Bulgarian and Roma songs respectively.

In the same place where are the Germans complaints about the use of piece of the GDR national anthem in the one of the main themes of some famous hentai game series.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Nacirema wrote:

In the same place where are the Germans complaints about the use of piece of the GDR national anthem in the one of the main themes of some famous hentai game series.

Well, East Germany is non existent nowadays, and modern Germany probably doesn't have fond memories of that place. But your point still stands for the most part.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:
Some adhans sound really beautiful but they are still not music.

Sacred or not, it is by definition music.

Source: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/music
Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/music
vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

Intent of the creator doesn't determine whether or not something is music.
martinic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to art nothing is sacred. If you don't like it don't listen to it, don't take that right away from others. I would probably have ignored this track if no one complained now I will spread it wherever I can. LONG LIVE FREE SPEECH.

Edit: This track is ironically called Push buttons... I guess it pushed some muslim buttons.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:
Some adhans sound really beautiful but they are still not music.

Sacred or not, it is by definition music.

Intent of the creator doesn't determine whether or not something is music.

Adhan isn't a music even by that terminology - it's the prayer call. If we're talking about Islamic vocal music, there is nasheed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Adhan isn't a music even by that terminology - it's the prayer call. If we're talking about Islamic vocal music, there is nasheed.

That doesn't say anything about it not being music. So I don't think it says what you think it says.

Whether you like it or not, something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBNUdeWw-wE

Is music by definition. Neither intent or message is relevant to something being music or not.

Now sure, if I read off those lines in a normal speaking voice, that isn't music. These beautiful sounding ones like the poster I quoted was referring to or the one I linked are by definition music.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm suddenly reminded of Yoko Takahashi's songs. Cruel Angel's Thesis, Shibashi sora ni Ironite, and Shinjitsu no Moshirioku all have some kind of chanting (in Latin or German?)

I cannot tell if it is some type of religious verse or just plain gibberish.

Last edited by wonderwomanhero on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous. Muslims shouldn't be receiving special treatment over any other religion or culture.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
My two cents is that religion needs to stay out of many things, particularly anime - I know that there are quite a lot of anime that promotes Buddhism or Shinto, thats obvious since its the two main religions of Japan and honestly, they can get away with that since that is the audience they are catering for, the rest of us in the world dont' have any say in that.

However, for problems like this - honestly, it was a mistake to put anything that could have some implications, and for I'm not being nasty here, but Muslims and Islam have the lowest tolerance levels possible, and are quick to rant and riot over things that should be 'tolerated' but condemned as being insulting but nothing more than that, but this hardly happens with Islam and thats why so many 'westerners' have a problem with that, and thats why Islam has a publicity problem in trying to be a peaceful religion.

How many Muslim anime fans would watch an anime that was based on Christianity? How many Christians would get insulted by it? I think we can all agree that religion is a touchy subject for everyone, even Atheists like myself. I think for anime in general, its best to avoid anything that could potentially cause problems - but that being said, double standards exist in religion and thats a problem.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
... all have some kind of chanting (in Latin or German?)

I cannot tell if it is some type of religious verse or just plain gibberish.

Let's not forget Elfen Leid for pseudo-christian imagery/chanting.

p.s. Someone else in this thread said "Hey, why there is not enough jewish references in anime". Heck, I also wish there were more references to my culture in anime. But if any muslim ever says "Hey, why there are not any references to islam in modern animes/manga", well, I will point them to this and the jojo incidents, heck, if Araraki had made Jojo nowadays, I bet Muhammad Avdol would be a Coptic Orthodox.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope that they don't also take it down from youtube. The music is really trippy and I've already seen reactions to similar music.

If it were done to Christians then they would've been told to suck it up. I don't agree with this kind of censorship.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
CycloneSP wrote:
so when if someone finds something offensive to islam, we gotta pull it immediately. But if something is offensive to christianity, we can just mock it all we want, right?

Double standards much?

Considering how little certain parts of the world thinks of Muslims do to the actions of few stupid and irrational people not really.

Mature-Kun wrote:
This is ridiculous. Muslims shouldn't be receiving special treatment over any other religion or culture.

And people like yourself shouldn't be making comments like this which border on offensive and seems to largely disregard the actual issue of Islamophobia.

TsukasaHiiragi wrote:

However, for problems like this - honestly, it was a mistake to put anything that could have some implications, and for I'm not being nasty here, but Muslims and Islam have the lowest tolerance levels possible, and are quick to rant and riot over things that should be 'tolerated'

Gee I sure hope you're not actually insinuating that all Muslims practicing a variation of Islam are easily offended by everything since that'd actually be wrong. And seems to disregard that Muslims in certain countries aren't as easily offended at certain things as Muslims in other places.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10