• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Boyfriends [2016-06-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Takumi is the reason I quit watching the Nana Anime I now tell people the second he shows up just quit watching. When Shinichi punched Takumi out in the club I cheered.
I think plenty of others who saw that anime cheered as well, and I think they were supposed to. I never thought that Takumi's treatment of Hachi was meant to be sympathetic.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
Takumi is the reason I quit watching the Nana Anime I now tell people the second he shows up just quit watching. When Shinichi punched Takumi out in the club I cheered.
I think plenty of others who saw that anime cheered as well, and I think they were supposed to. I never thought that Takumi's treatment of Hachi was meant to be sympathetic.

You're right, it wasn't. That whole storyline is about making a choice based on ideals in your head instead of reality, and how you end up having to live with it until you wake up. Takumi was only meant to be a romantic figure in so far as to make readers initially see what Hachi thought she was seeing. Why on earth would you tell people to quit watching a show because an uncomfortable lesson is about to be taught? The readers are supposed to be able to figure this out long before Hachi does and get that. Nana is mature enough to show the truth of relationships and partners like that.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
No Makoto from School Days? Surprising.

I'm happy this article didn't, he may be a wimp and open to sex, but he knows where his heart is and it isn't his fault the girl that trained him for coitus was a jealous lunatic.

As for this article I was going to say "Wow, listing Akio from Utena, how generic to just go with general sleaze", then I realized I know literally nobody else on this list because I haven't seen anything else.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Toma is the best boyfriend! How could you say such awful things about him?! /sarcasm. In all honesty, Toma was my favorite route in Amnesia. I like the yanderes cause they're just interesting to watch play out. Not sure why, just something I like.

As for the poll:

Fujoshi-Targeted Sports - 12.9%. I was one of the dudes who made up that percentage. Go my fellow brethren~
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
No Makoto from School Days? Surprising.

I'm happy this article didn't, he may be a wimp and open to sex, but he knows where his heart is and it isn't his fault the girl that trained him for coitus was a jealous lunatic.

As for this article I was going to say "Wow, listing Akio from Utena, how generic to just go with general sleaze", then I realized I know literally nobody else on this list because I haven't seen anything else.

Honestly this I agree. I find the reaction to him extreme, and especially how many people think its good that he is brutally murdered odd.

Its been a while since I saw the show, but he is never a particularly bad guy, and he never hides anything thing, he is just a teenager that has a lot of chances to sleep around, and he does. But he not abusive or anything like that.

Also its implied the other girls don't have clean hands either, as the kid in the end that met an untimely fate might not even been his but from his friend that slept with the girl.

Also it should be pointed out that the School Days anime adapts what is considered the bad ending of the game, there are actually endings where everyone turns out okay. And its the same thing with other ergoge and gal games, there are plenty of games that have pretty lousy endings luckily enough the anime producer rarely use them.

But I have to agree with Doumon from Hana Yori Dango being on this list if you put arima and naoki on here, I actually feel like Doumon is a crappier version of Naoki.

I would be curious at the bad girlfriends list, I have feeling is going to be comprised of a bunch of shana clones.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The only show that I've seen on this list is Amnesia. Looks like the other shows on the list would be a waste of my time.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Odd how it's basically just shojo. :/

Especially with choices like Naoki and Arima. Naoki is a jerk, but to a lot of people, and looking at his character from a number of angles at least makes sense (especially because he improves so much as a person).

Poor Arima has a horrible background though that isn't resolved for a very long time and isn't really a bad boyfriend/partner.

I always feel pretty concerned and frustrated with cases like this when male characters are judged so harshly, but I feel like tsundere girls and he sort are let off the hook for so much more crap and as long as they're woobied in the least, we should pity them. Whereas with the male love interest in shojo, we should never forgive him because he was a jerk and screw whatever tragedy or trauma was in his past. (Of course trauma excuses nothing, but an effort to change plus growing over that accounts for something; which is what they're not given.)

Could have been a better list but I feel like some of these choices are a little cheap. ^u^;
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
The only show that I've seen on this list is Amnesia. Looks like the other shows on the list would be a waste of my time.

No. If you somehow haven't heard of Utena, it's a classic and a near-undisputed masterpiece. It's not a melodramatic shoujo romcom; it's a genre-bending theatrical fantasy. If you haven't seen it, it should be on your list.
Soval

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
To add to the list, there's Touma form Sakura Tsuushin. spoiler[He repeatedly cheats on his girlfriend, gets addicted to drugs, and at one points vandalizes Urara's school and has her take the blame for it. No wonder her dad tried to have him killed.]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:43 am Reply with quote
Sheesh! What a bunch of lowlifes! If I were a girl,I'd avoid them like the plague. These are the type of guys that make it difficult for more decent guys to get dates. Next week,we'll probably get eight horrible girlfriends. And that wouldn't surprise me at all.
Namu12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Toma is definitely a Psycho.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:

what?! if i remember correctly it's consensual sex

It was, actually.

Yukino spoiler[was fully accepting of it, she just wanted him to wait a minute since they were going to do it in the school. So it wasn't rape, at least to her. Arima, on the other hand, really thought he raped her and it drove him further off the deep end.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
only shoujo there ?

well as for shounen tehre is an obvious winner by miles, goku is the worse boyfriend/husband/father ever.

uh not at the slightest. just because he is kinda dense and oblivious dont make him the worst. especially compared to the lights of saskue which should be on the list of sorts. not to mentioned light yagami.

however what really surprised me is that makoto from school days aint even on this list and that prick is ten times worse than akio , tamuki and arima combined. my only guess is probably due to that seriously crazy ending which is considered to be the most infamous ending ever due to how up close and personal it is in real life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Since the only show on the list that I have seen all of is Revolutionary Girl Utena (I do own a copy of His and Her Circumstances so I will watch that someday) the list wasn't that interesting to me, though it looks like it inspired a lot of comments.

As for the new poll, I hadn't really started thinking about the new anime season yet as I am constantly playing catch-up with the shows I am watching from the current season, but I guess July is not that far off. When I first went through the list the new Berserk series was the only one I knew I would be watching, but after going through the list of upcoming anime I added votes for 91 Days and Orange, though the latter seems rather similar to Erased. It also looks like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress will run over into July a bit; then again, since season 6 of Game of Thrones will end soon I will have a bit more time for watching anime.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Lol I dunno why "Male Idols" are surprisingly disliked by many while we know we only have 1-2% of those animes and 98% female Idol animes... This is why Huge brands like Sony, Apple etc. funds the Hallyu wave of Kpoop instead of Japan, those male Kpop Idols alone earns billions + most of them are topping on the Oricon itself and Billboard, whilst the influence of Japan is catered on those type of limited otakus.

And I dunno are animes sexist nowadays? When a sport anime comes out they always think that it's gay when its actually NOT(thats only free!) compared to those stereotypical harem ecchi fanservice crap that we always see nowadays but we dont see anybody complaining about them?

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5