• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
For people that want a many-volume romcom/harem where the main guy is extremely devoted to the female lead but is still being a klutz or has sexual fantasies, Pastel would be nice to add to Crunchyroll. All the chapters.
Griffith91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
A few series i would like to see would be:

Beelzebub
Billy Bat
Reborn! (I hope someone finishes releases the English release to this)
Gintama (same as Reborn!)
Kingdom
Ravages of Time
Diamond no Ace
Hajime no Ippo
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd certainly would like to see the manga Yawara! licensed. I've enjoyed the anime.

I'd also like to see Polar Bear's Cafe, rest of Cyborg 009, Cyborg 009 vs Devilman manga (it's a different take than the OVA), Eikou no Napoleon ( this is by the author of Rose of Versailles), Glass Mask, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Young Black Jack.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I'd love to see Tough, Baki the Grappler, Baki son of ogre and Gigantomakhia published in English.

By Miura, right? Darkhorse's already licensed and published it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
something like manwha webtoons will probably never be released outside of Korea, and there are some fantastic works like Noblesse, Tower of God.
Korean but not web toons that really warrant a release are ID and Cavalier of the Abyss/Immortal Regis.

And if we go strictly manga, I would love to see Ubel blatt and all of Bastard.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Ubel Blatt is already licensed and a number of volumes are available from Yen.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I would like Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro to get an english release. I would also love for Narutaru to get an uncensored release.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I'd love to see Tough, Baki the Grappler, Baki son of ogre and Gigantomakhia published in English.

I see another man knows what the good shit is!

And thank you, Souther, the Holy Emperor himself, for telling us Dark Horse has already released Gigantomahkia. I had no idea, either. Apparently, DH spells it Giganto Maxia.

Break Xerxes wrote:
I would like Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro to get an english release.

I find it sad we got the anime on streaming by Viz themselves, but we have neither sight nor sound of the manga.

CrownKlown wrote:
something like manwha webtoons will probably never be released outside of Korea, and there are some fantastic works like Noblesse, Tower of God.
Korean but not web toons that really warrant a release are ID and Cavalier of the Abyss/Immortal Regis

Uh, LINE's been releasing both Noblesse and and Tower of God in English officially through their Webtoon website (http://www.webtoons.com/en/) and app, along with a TON more. There's even multiple translations available, thanks to the fact that they host fan translations for whatever languages people decide to use. They even host an English fan translation on their site that read far more smoothly than the official one for Noblesse. Now, if you're talking about physical releases, then yeah, we haven't got those. Then again, I don't think Tower of God has one yet.

EDIT: Really, the webtoon format has been exploding in English. Lezhin and Spottoon have been putting a TON of stuff out. I'm sure there's even more than the ones I've mentioned, too.

Quote:

Oh man, Bastard!! is fun. I hope it does make a comeback at some point, but with untranslated sound effects*. I have a feeling it will, but Bastard!! needs to start moving again in Japan first.

*I'm normally not a stickler about this stuff, but whoever handled redrawing the SFX for Viz's release would cover up half the panel sometimes. It might've had to do with what masters were available or something, but a lot was being cut off in the process.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Uh, LINE's been releasing both Noblesse and and Tower of God in English officially through their Webtoon website (http://www.webtoons.com/en/) and app, along with a TON more. There's even multiple translations available, thanks to the fact that they host fan translations for whatever languages people decide to use.

They also have Girls of the Wild's, which is one of my favorites, but I'd still be tempted to buy that if it was available in print simply because I'm just not a fan of reading manga/manhwa on a computer or e-reader unless there's no other choice, although I will admit that Webtoons posts their manhwa in the most reader-friendly format that I've seen so far.

Quote:
Oh man, Bastard!! is fun. I hope it does make a comeback at some point, but with untranslated sound effects*.

Seconded. If I'd thought of that series earlier I would've added it to my first post.

Last edited by WingKing on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Huh! I really like this list. Georgie! sounds really fun, as do a lot of other entries on this list.

One title I've always had my heart set on is Yokohama Kidaishi Kikou, but I've given up on it. It's been ages since people first started making waves over it, and I haven't had the money for manga since 2012 anyway. Crying or Very sad
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the shot outs to Holyland and my girl, Aya Shouto. Here are some others I'd like to see licensed...

Caste Heaven - Too many vanilla yaoi titles are licensed in the US. I'd like to see this one licensed.

Azumi - Abandoned children raised to become the ultimate assassin, Azumi is the only one who survived. She's targeted by several parties in feudal Japan, all of whom want her dead for various reasons...yet, Azumi is still very out going and kind.

Nobunaga's Chef - Ken, a modern day Japanese chef suffering from a severe case of amnesia, is transported back to Nobunaga's era. He meets up with Nobunaga and becomes his personal chef, traveling along with Nobunaga as he slowly conquers and unites Japan. The only thing Ken can remember is how to cook, so he talks about the origin of dishes, what they mean, and how things were introduced to Japanese cooking. Good manga for those who like history and cooking.

Song of the Long March (manhua) - Half Chinese, half Slavic princess is the only survivor after her uncle wiped out her family for the throne. Raised to be a strong tactician, she uses her ability to help the Huns in a bid to eventually kill her uncle as revenge.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
The biggest one I want in my grabby hands is Adekan. I had a brief hope for reading it legally when Jmanga was a thing, but alas, Jmanga went under, and Adekan is probably in licensing purgatory now.

I'd love someone to license and release it physically - the art is so gorgeous I want to see it in real life!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I've heard nothing but good about Gisele Alain. I should really get around to checking it out at some point.

As for my own most desired licenses...

It was said earlier in the thread, but I feel like it bears repeating...Silver Spoon. Silver Spoon, Silver Spoon, Silver Spoon. Seriously Viz. Why is this not licensed. Why are volumes of this series not on my bookshelf at this very moment. Just slap "by the creator of Fullmetal Alchemist" on the front and you're good to go. Is licensing a manga about an agriculture high school that risky? Even when it's sold amazingly in Japan? (It just breaks my heart that as a Shogakukan title, only Viz has the right to license it. And it's so good...)

I'd also really like to see some of Kaitani Shinobu's work brought over. At the very least, One Outs and Liar Game. (Of course...All of his works except his most recent series are published by Shueisha...And are thus also Viz-exclusive...*shakes tear-stained fist*)

Okay, I can't really get too mad at Viz, they're giving me Yona...But still.

I'd like to see Bokura no Kiseki licensed. This manga is so addictive, it's absurd. When I first happened across it, I just thought "A princess reincarnated as a guy? Meh, doesn't sound that great." But the second time I came across it I was in advanced procrastination mode, where anything is better than doing what I'm supposed to be doing, so I decided I'd read just a few chapters...And then suddenly it was the next morning, and I'd read it all. Once the plot steps on the gas, it just never lets up, a really great fantasy mystery. The only downside is the deep, abiding emptiness I feel whenever I get caught up...

Shoukoku no Altair would also be really nice. We get Middle Eastern fantasy rarely enough as it is, and this is a really good one. Lots of international politics and nation-building, it's really cool stuff. (Also, the covers are pretty. I want to have more manga with pretty covers on my shelf. That...counts as a good reason to want something licensed, right?)

Aura Ichadora wrote:
I also want to see the release of The Sleepy Residents of Birdcage Manor in English. It's a really short series, but it's one of my favorites. I love the art and characters, although there are some confusing elements to the manga as there's also a light novel that it's based on. Still, it doesn't distract too much from the story and you can infer some of those elements as you read it. I have my doubts the novels will be released in English, but I'd love it if the manga would.

Preach. Takarai Rihito's art is just gorgeous. (It's just a shame I hear such sketchy things about her current work, Ten Count...I suppose I should judge for myself rather going by what other people say, but time is limited...)
EastN3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
This article made me very aware that I am male and have very different tastes from women.
Cool

Edit: Dang, almost forgot my picks. My license wish list is Ichi the Killer (Heck, any Hideo Yamamoto manga would satisfy me), Ore ga Doutei o Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite, and Historie.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
I think this list is kind of boring. I think shoujo and Yuri is nice but some other titles do deserve coming over to the U.S..
Arachnid
To Love ru-let's admit it. This book would sell like hotcakes over in the U.S
Bungo Stray Dogs-the story has nice links to famous auhors so it would also be good!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7