• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
WEEEeeee Anime catgrin *giggles like a little school girl*

I must say I love the way Haruhi has/is being handled; from the 404 page to this new one.

The detail they put into everything related to the show just blows my mind, is this someone's sole job or something? Having to come up with all this stuff. It both keeps the raving lunatic fans such as myself interested in the base fanatic aspect, and the cerebral complicated references aspect. I'm want to say that I am nearly frothing at the mouth from being teased for so long about who is going to/who did liscense it, but that may give them the impression I'll buy the DVDs irregardless of price and/or episode count (which is only partially true).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I honestly can't believe that there already 60 post already for this, and it's only 2 hours old.....is nobody watching Monday Night Football?
Hmm, football or Haruhi? Tough choice. Wink

If this is being brought over by Kadokawa USA, that would be fine by me, although I'm most interested in which studio will be contracted for the dubbing. (Sub lover or dub lover or somewhere in between, you have to admit that from a business standpoint, if the dub sucks your sales will be hurt.)

The release of FMP!: TSR is great (although a few extras aimed at dub fans would be nice) so Kadokawa seems fairly competent. They showed themselves to be quite creative.

I just hope Haruhi won't be brought down by bad sales. If you bought the fansubs, buy the legal product people. It would be very bad if whomever licenses it loses a lot of money, especially since there is supposedly going to be a second series. (Fingers crossed!)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'd speculate that Kadokawa Pictures USA is involved, just like what they did for Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid -- IF the website is official and not a prank.

I thought the same thing and had been wondering if that would be the way this series would be handled even before today. The licensing costs for this series would probably be huge and higher than individual companies could pay for and expect to make much (if any) profit.

If it is Kadokawa, the question is: will they go with the Funi/ADV combo again or will they do something different?

bayoab wrote:

Sam Murai wrote:
Anime News Serviceactually posted about the possiblity of a big Haruhi announcement two weeks ago:

Quote:
12-6-06 (3:47PM EST)---- Haruhi Suzumiya Surprise Announcement Brewing

News out of the Japanese Language SOS email magazine indicates an unspecified
announcement regarding the franchise will be made at year's end.

This is something different and which is probably inaccessable at this time since the haruhi page vanished today (purposely). There is a page on the haruhi site which isn't going live until 12/29.

The Japanese website page would more likely be an announcement about a new season (which has already been mentioned on MoonPhase). I highly doubt that the series being licensed for U.S. release would be big news for Japanese fans and worth making a big fuss about like that.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Also if the 404 site was for real, it would be in English here, not in Japanese.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
dormcat wrote:
I'd speculate that Kadokawa Pictures USA is involved, just like what they did for Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid -- IF the website is official and not a prank.

I thought the same thing and had been wondering if that would be the way this series would be handled even before today. The licensing costs for this series would probably be huge and higher than individual companies could pay for and expect to make much (if any) profit.

If it is Kadokawa, the question is: will they go with the Funi/ADV combo again or will they do something different?

bayoab wrote:

Sam Murai wrote:
Anime News Serviceactually posted about the possiblity of a big Haruhi announcement two weeks ago:

Quote:
12-6-06 (3:47PM EST)---- Haruhi Suzumiya Surprise Announcement Brewing

News out of the Japanese Language SOS email magazine indicates an unspecified
announcement regarding the franchise will be made at year's end.

This is something different and which is probably inaccessable at this time since the haruhi page vanished today (purposely). There is a page on the haruhi site which isn't going live until 12/29.

The Japanese website page would more likely be an announcement about a new season (which has already been mentioned on MoonPhase). I highly doubt that the series being licensed for U.S. release would be big news for Japanese fans and worth making a big fuss about like that.

there will be much rejoycing (and exploding) of worshipers of Haruhiism's heads if the license to the series and the announcement of a sequel came within a week of each other.

I've already changed the opening music for my podcast on saturday from japanese holiday music to haruhi suzumiya music in the seemingly eminent announcement of MHS's license lol.
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I just hope Haruhi won't be brought down by bad sales. If you bought the fansubs, buy the legal product people. It would be very bad if whomever licenses it loses a lot of money, especially since there is supposedly going to be a second series. (Fingers crossed!)

I'd certainly hope nobody bought the fansubs, as that would mean someone paid for a bootleg version of a product, and that's just plain dumb!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
So, it is starting to make it's descent upon American soil, which could be anywhere from six months to six years.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote
This is great news that I've been anticipating. I'm hoping for two things: 1) ADR by Bang Zoom, and 2) a proper chronological ordering of the episodes. It would be a pain to have to change DVDs to watch a linear progression of the story and of events.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
The article says it's being advertised on ANN as well, but exactly WHERE is this advertising on the site at? I couldn't see any anywhere. Confused

animenewsnetwork.com/?now_testing_banner_id=7714

It was actually supposed to go up this morning, but I'm out of town on business, so I just got the ad up a few minutes ago.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
This is great news that I've been anticipating. I'm hoping for two things: 1) ADR by Bang Zoom, and 2) a proper chronological ordering of the episodes. It would be a pain to have to change DVDs to watch a linear progression of the story and of events.

I think they should keep the episodes the same as to what air on TV because that's how it was also based in the novels. They can give like an insert or something to tell you the chronological order, but it's best that they should leave it as it, because it's how they directed it to be, as well as keep the originality of the show entact.

Other than that, looking at the website, what I think it would say is that they will announce offically the 2nd season of Haruhi AND an announcement of a U.S license, and when we can expect the first (rough estimation) R1 DVD to come to the states.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
I love the banner. It's perfect. For people that haven't seen it, they will likely think "WTF?" and perhaps see what the fuss is about. For those of us that have seen it.....it makes so much sense.

Quote:
I think they should keep the episodes the same as to what air on TV because that's how it was also based in the novels.

Actually, the novels are in chronological order. Sort of. Apparently, later novels involve spoiler[time travel] but that's a bit different.. It's not like the anime though. The novels show things as they happen to Kyon.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Nebs wrote:
The article says it's being advertised on ANN as well, but exactly WHERE is this advertising on the site at? I couldn't see any anywhere. Confused

animenewsnetwork.com/?now_testing_banner_id=7714

It was actually supposed to go up this morning, but I'm out of town on business, so I just got the ad up a few minutes ago.

Thank goodness! You had me convinced I was going nuts because I couldn't see it Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
LordOfPie wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
If you bought the fansubs,

I'd certainly hope nobody bought the fansubs, as that would mean someone paid for a bootleg version of a product, and that's just plain dumb!
Crap, I meant to say downloaded.

I'd bet good money that the bootlegs sold well though. I was just thinking about what happened with Azumanga Daioh, where there was a lot of good internet buzz and fans going "bring it over! Hurry!" and then ADV puts it out and the sales were underwhelming. (At least, this is what I've read on here in the past.)

There are a lot of people who give fans a bad name by refusing to buy any official products. I just hope Haruhi will be the hit that deserves to be.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
Something of interest from a blog:

Quote:
A quick traceroute and whois revealed nothing interesting. A quick look at the HTML reveals:

<DOCTYPE>

This line matches the DOCTYPE declaration for Funimation.com whereas ADVFilms.com uses a different DOCTYPE assertion. Random speculation is fun… i love bees…
fxg97873

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I think I can say:

Not ADV

The TraceRoute finger prints do not match up.

Every single one of ADV's "official" property sites have the exact same traceroute fingerprints and all lead to Houston.

The asosbrigade.com is being hosted somewhere in Fremont, CA according to its traceroute fingerprint.

So far, I have tried making a finger print match with the following companies' "official" sites:
Geneon Entertainment (USA), Inc.
Bandai Visual USA, Inc.
ADV Films
Funimation
Manga
Right Stuf
Media Blasters
Viz

So far no match.

Of course, Kadokawa Pictures USA is located in Sherman Oaks, CA near L.A. and this Fremont is not so far away in San Jose so who knows...

Of interest, Kadokawa's @kadokawapicturesusa.com mail server is hosted on mail.maccius.com...which traceroutes to San Jose (basically next to Fremont).

Also, asosbrigade.com is hosted by "Hurricane Electric Internet Services" (which has a confirmed address in Fremont, CA).
http://www.he.net/

mk2000
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 27