• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Details G Gundam, Gundam Wing Anime Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. I still stands that you wouldn't have to bother with a redub if it you just watched it subbed. You can toss in "Cheapos gonna be cheap" as another reason.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
That G Gundam release can't come soon enough! After watching the first couple of episodes of the show on BD, it's become exceedingly difficult to go back to those old washed-out, LD-sourced Bandai DVDs-- it's like a blind man being given eyesight with all that color and detail.

And the dub's memed it's way into the annals of dub and English-speaking Gundam fandom history (and not in a bad way like the GunDAMN movie trilogy), and Sunrise seems well aware of that fact, so I never expected them to even consider a new one in the first place.
miraclekid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought RightStuf weren't going to release future titles on DVD anymore...

https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/status/881282475770744833
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
G Gundam's dub is popular because of Mark Gatha. Not only was he an incredible voice for Domon, but he was completely outstanding as Mega Man X for Command Mission and X8.

Also for the last X game, Maverick Hunter X on PSP, which included the Day of Sigma OVA.

Quote:
It's a shame he quit voice acting so long ago because we needed him to be X again for Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (the new voice for X is okay, but he's not that great either).

It is a shame but even if he was still voice acting, he wouldn't come back because Capcom hasn't had any of their games dubbed in Canada for a long time and they don't care about characters with the same voice actor anymore (see Alyson Court.who was replaced for Resident Evil Revelations 2 after voicing Claire for years in both Canadian & LA-dubbed RE material Evil or Very Mad ).

Quote:
The game won't have Japanese voices like MvC3 did either, so Takahiro Sakurai will not be an alternative.

If that's true then that really sucks to hear, yet another thing that's killing the hype for Infinite along with the crappy character designs, the lack of certain characters both main & DLC and both Bamco/Arcsys & Arika announcing what are likely to be much better games in comparison (like SNK's King of Fighters XIV turned out in comparison to Street Fighter V).

miraclekid wrote:

That's for the non-Gundam releases, the other Gundams have and will still get DVD releases with the only exception so far being G-Reco which had it's Blu-ray release authored by Anime Limited in Europe (hence the subs on that release being different and also locked unlike the other Gundam BDs Nozomi has done).

With that said, I do wonder about Seed & Seed Destiny. If that gets a DVD re-release, will it be a downscale of the HD remaster with the new dub or the old master with the original dub?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Also for the last X game, Maverick Hunter X on PSP, which included the Day of Sigma OVA.

That too. I didn't forget.

Quote:
It is a shame but even if he was still voice acting, he wouldn't come back because Capcom hasn't had any of their games dubbed in Canada for a long time and they don't care about characters with the same voice actor anymore

That's true. That is their practice nowadays, isn't it.

Quote:
If that's true then that really sucks to hear, yet another thing that's killing the hype for Infinite along with the crappy character designs, the lack of certain characters both main & DLC and both Bamco/Arcsys & Arika announcing what are likely to be much better games in comparison (like SNK's King of Fighters XIV turned out in comparison to Street Fighter V).

They're likely doing it this way because MvCI has a story mode with cutscenes and Marvel characters speaking Japanese would be a giant no-no for everyone. However, if they did a language mix option (Capcom characters speaking Japanese, Marvel characters speaking English) like what was done with Godzilla Final Wars, maybe that could work.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
G Gundam is one of the few series I would prefer not to watch in English, mostly because I like to see the original names as it is the only dub to rename several gundams.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
lilcrazy07 wrote:
Chronological order for UC Gundam,
1. Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin [ongoing]
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
3. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt [ongoing]
4. Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
5. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - The Hidden One Year War (PART 1) [OPTIONAL]
6. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO 2 - The Gravity Front (PART 2) [OPTIONAL]
7. Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO - Apocalypse 0079 (PART 3) [OPTIONAL]
8. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In The Pocket
9. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
10. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
11. Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
13. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn || Alternative Version: Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096[ongoing]
14. Mobile Suit Gundam F91
15. Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Look here for the release order.

Other Stand-alone Gundam Series:
* After War Gundam X
* Gundam Reconguista in G
* Mobile Fighter-G Gundam
* Mobile Suit Gundam 00
* Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
* Mobile Suit Gundam Build Fighters
* Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans
* Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
* Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
* Mobile Suit Turn A Gundam (should be watched after all of UC Gundam)

actually reconguista in g isnt stand alone. while it did takes place in the reguild century, its without a doubt related to the UC timeline since its took place 1000 years after the events of victory gundam. its more or less a sequel to the UC timeline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
SrkSano wrote:
Subs and dubs are case by case with me, but if you don't have a preference for Gundam I would stick with subs.

Two reasons . A lot of the actors remain throughout from production to production and even reprise their roles for video games. That doesn't happen in English. We already have like 3 to 4 Chars while Shuichi Ikeda has been voicing him in everything since 1979, even voicing Full Frontal in Unicorn..

The other reason is there is still a lot of Gundam that was done during the "dark age of dubbing." Names.get mispronounced in Wing, 8th MS Team and others. Some of the dubs are so bad that Seed and Seed Destiny are getting re-dubbed. Something you wouldn't even have to bother with if you just watched it subbed.

Now if you put a gun to my head and asked me which production you should watch in English if any I would say Thunderbolt. Only because that was clearly made for English speaking audiences. Yeah, you have to hear Johnny Yong Bosch for the bajillionth time, but he gets a lot of work because he's good. He recorded all of his lines for Thunderbolt in two hours which is just insane.

I would say Char's voice differences is the big reason the Gundam series kind of stays subbed when I watched it. Also Amuro as well. And no Seed and Seed Destiny's being re-dubbed for a new version.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
Wing's BD release certainly offers more than the other Gundam shows. I'm very much looking to get it.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
G Gundam probably isn't popular enough to merit the special edition treatment but I much rather would have gotten a deluxe box set of that than Wing. Can't always get what you want though. Such is life.

I'll consider this, as there have been many such requests.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Great to get some dates. I'll definitely be picking up the Wing CE. It's not my favorite, but I'll still pick up G at some point down the road so I'm not missing any series =)
Too bad they're not using the Japanese Limited Edition artwork though

You'll find it in the set, it was used.

Zeino wrote:

There is also the matter of Gundam 0080 still not being on Blu-ray.

It's coming out this month in Japan, so hopefully we'll (finally) see it next year.

We still haven't heard anything about IBO coming over and it'd be great to see Gundam-San too.[/quote]

IBO will be coming this fall, November if I remember.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
GundamZX wrote:
Man, I'm not a crazy fan of Wing but thought I would get it when it said limited edition if it was under $100. I almost spit my drink out when I saw it was $175

Keep in mind, it contains Wing, Endless Waltz, the OVA version of Waltz, Operation Meteor, Frozen Teardrop, and a giant book as well as other things. It's a very heavy set of stuff plus there will be extras as well on a separate BD.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
miraclekid wrote:

We will be releasing the Gundam series on DVD. Our mainline releases we likely will not in the future.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
G Gundam probably isn't popular enough to merit the special edition treatment but I much rather would have gotten a deluxe box set of that than Wing. Can't always get what you want though. Such is life.

I'll consider this, as there have been many such requests.

I also hope you consider this for the future SEED release as well. If you guys make one that's anything like the Wing CE set you got a sale from me.
GundamZX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
GundamZX wrote:
Man, I'm not a crazy fan of Wing but thought I would get it when it said limited edition if it was under $100. I almost spit my drink out when I saw it was $175

Keep in mind, it contains Wing, Endless Waltz, the OVA version of Waltz, Operation Meteor, Frozen Teardrop, and a giant book as well as other things. It's a very heavy set of stuff plus there will be extras as well on a separate BD.

Releasing just Wing and the OVA/movie for around $100 with a limited box would be enough to make me happy as a casual Wing fan. Half of the extras just seem like stationary that I remember seeing in stores back in the early 2000s. Its okay I guess if you're a really big fan of Wing but really wish you guys put more love in the other Gundam series as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5