• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't Licensed Anime T-Shirts Nicer?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violynne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The bootleg "fan-made" T-shirt emporiums online (which I shall not name) do have some better diversity of designs, unfortunately. I definitely don't like or endorse those sites, but the disparity is enough that it's really tempting.

Anime fans spend enough on content as it is, so I see no problem with buying after market items simply because it is advertising.

Two of my favorite t-shirts (rest in piece, one of them) were awesome designs licensed shirts didn't even come close to making.

One was a Suzumiya Haruhi tshirt which showed Haruhi "appear" when lighting on the shirt changed. The less light, the more she showed up. It wasn't glow-in-the-dark, but the effect was still cool.

Sadly, I hooked the shirt on a nail and shredded it to pieces (hence rest in pieces) on accident.

My other is of Cowboy Bepop which shows the 4 crew members in the upper left part of the shirt, and the back had each of the crew's personal crafts in the same position as their faces on the front (except for Ed, who had Ein instead).

Exceptionally well designed shirt which only CB fans would pick up on.

Even after 20 years, the shirt looks as good as the day I bought it. Thank goodness I got it two sizes larger (which honestly, was the only size available and I didn't want to miss out) as it fits quite well today.

Damn cupcakes.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Quote:
The bootleg "fan-made" T-shirt emporiums online (which I shall not name) do have some better diversity of designs, unfortunately. I definitely don't like or endorse those sites, but the disparity is enough that it's really tempting.

Anime fans spend enough on content as it is, so I see no problem with buying after market items simply because it is advertising.

I understand what you're saying, although I don't agree with the logic. But I would also say that many of the better designs, the subtle ones, are not actually working too well as advertising. So the only reason to wear them is either for your friends and you to get a kick out of it, or to support whoever designed the T-shirt. If a cool subtle shirt design was official, on the other hand,you would also be supporting the franchise you purport to be a fan of, which is always a good feeling.
ulyssesjoyce89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say about the Yuri on ice shirt with the sexy on it.At least it not say Jesus is blank blank on the back.

Have a parent allow that kid to wear it or and adult go out in public and get arrested with that shirt.Laughing

anyway I saw a man in his twice Justin age and was wearing a Strom truper on his chest going out in public.I also saw a man in his sixties wore a large picture of a old QB and it just has the QB name.All were old and grey hair.
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I understand what you're saying, although I don't agree with the logic.

I suppose there was a misunderstood logic to my post, but I didn't get the shirts to advertise the shows, I got them because they were well done and of good quality.

Quote:
But I would also say that many of the better designs, the subtle ones, are not actually working too well as advertising.

I don't disagree here as there have been some I've purchased many years ago that, quite literally, had the design come off in the wash.

But here's the thing: those who black market stuff know that in order to get returning customers, stepping up quality ensures their return.

I don't make it a habit to go out of my way to buy black market items, but unlike Justin, I do give in to temptation when the product is good.

Quote:
So the only reason to wear them is either for your friends and you to get a kick out of it, or to support whoever designed the T-shirt.

Nope, just me. I said "advertising" because those who saw the shirts instantly recognized them (if they were anime fans) while others would ask about the purpose of the shirt (potential anime fans?).

Even today, the CB shirt still draws attention.

Quote:
If a cool subtle shirt design was official, on the other hand,you would also be supporting the franchise you purport to be a fan of, which is always a good feeling.

Please don't be "that guy" who spews rhetoric of "supporting the anime". This idiocy needs to die a quick death because, let's face it, most of those who actually make the work aren't getting the financial support they need.

I won't go into a diatribe of the dead horse topic, but I see no reason why both black market and legit products can't be enjoyed when the latter refuses to improve their quality.

After all, that's the issue of this Answerman article.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:

Quote:
If a cool subtle shirt design was official, on the other hand,you would also be supporting the franchise you purport to be a fan of, which is always a good feeling.

Please don't be "that guy" who spews rhetoric of "supporting the anime". This idiocy needs to die a quick death because, let's face it, most of those who actually make the work aren't getting the financial support they need.

I won't go into a diatribe of the dead horse topic, but I see no reason why both black market and legit products can't be enjoyed when the latter refuses to improve their quality.

After all, that's the issue of this Answerman article.

You are the one who dragged it here. I'm surprised you're so offended by people expressing interest and good will toward supporting official merchandise. Crying or Very sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wear anime shirts all the time but usually just around the house or on the weekends (or to conventions). I definitely wouldn’t wear them to work.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Rather than licensing issues i believe the reason comes down to the much simpler "it's bad business" genetic t-shirt are about the only thing a company can commission on relatively small numbers for a niche market that's gonna treat it as a disposable piece of apparel. Think about it, if an investor was willing to take the risk and spend the money needed to hire a designer and reserve a production line in a factory to mass produce their own line of fashion products, why would they make it about anime at all? It would be far safer to aim it to a less niche sector. The other option would be to keep the Numbers small but charge more per piece but as Justin explained in his articles about the prices of anime discs in Japan vs the West, Americans just aren't willing to see their anime goods as luxury products, they want them cheap and plenty, as i do my ice cream.

Personally i don't see the point of wearing a anime's clothes at all, i really like anime... On my monitor screen, i don't feel anymore of a fan or as an accomplished human being by wearing something related to a series, but that's just me, i am also the kind of guy that likes wearing mono coloured slim fit or Taylor fit clothes, pretty much what you would find at the more serious corner of an H&M. Of course a more subtle reference or callback would be preferable to a logo or piece of promotional art, like come on. Whether it is hero academia or Adidas. Why would some one pay to be a company's walking billboard?
ulyssesjoyce89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Rather than licensing issues i believe the reason comes down to the much simpler "it's bad business" genetic t-shirt are about the only thing a company can commission on relatively small numbers for a niche market that's gonna treat it as a disposable piece of apparel. Think about it, if an investor was willing to take the risk and spend the money needed to hire a designer and reserve a production line in a factory to mass produce their own line of fashion products, why would they make it about anime at all? It would be far safer to aim it to a less niche sector. The other option would be to keep the Numbers small but charge more per piece but as Justin explained in his articles about the prices of anime discs in Japan vs the West, Americans just aren't willing to see their anime goods as luxury products, they want them cheap and plenty, as i do my ice cream.

Personally i don't see the point of wearing a anime's clothes at all, i really like anime... On my monitor screen, i don't feel anymore of a fan or as an accomplished human being by wearing something related to a series, but that's just me, i am also the kind of guy that likes wearing mono coloured slim fit or Taylor fit clothes, pretty much what you would find at the more serious corner of an H&M. Of course a more subtle reference or callback would be preferable to a logo or piece of promotional art, like come on. Whether it is hero academia or Adidas. Why would some one pay to be a company's walking billboard?

Smile tell that to someone going around wearing a Tommy Hilfiger jacket with his logo on it or D&C t-shirt that are sold and you see people buying it.
But I also like to support the series I enjoy by buying the product so the Anime t-shits are awesome to walk around in public(in my humble opinion).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Whether it is hero academia or Adidas. Why would some one pay to be a company's walking billboard?

Because it's fun?

Because you want to show your support for the series?

Because you're not ashamed to display what you like to others?

Because you like the character's face and wanna wear their face all day?

There are so many reasons. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4