• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Detective Conan: Episode One, Love Hina Again, S-CRY-ed Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:56 am Reply with quote
another pointless conan special release.. I need the entire series. btw I'm surprised that some conan fans watch it dubbed.

snake-eyes wrote:
I have not seen...Combattler V, but have wanted to see it Ever Since reading Marvel Comics Shogun Warriors as a pre teen.

don't get your hopes high.. there is no story here unlike Voltes/Daimos..
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Old shoujo stuff in particular definitely deserves more love. Stuff like Fancy Lala, Wedding Peach, and many other shows deserve a re-release, and shows like Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Sally the Witch, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Tokyo Mew Mew, and definitely Lady Lady deserve to be put on Blu-Ray here.'.

Try and vote with your wallet whenever you can. I got Creamy Mami, The Little Mermaid, Rose of Versailles, Dear Brother, Glass Mask, Princess Knight, Cutey Honey, and just about any others that came out along the way. I'm trying to show my love here, licensors... give me more ladies. The saving of Marmalade Boy and Hana Yori Dango has made me hopeful that it’s finally helping get this stuff out the door again.

*crosses fingers* Pleeeeeaaaase give me Aim for the Ace.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:30 am Reply with quote
Banjo, I Love military Hardware focused shows. Airwolf, Blue Thunder, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, Super Robot Anime. Heroes protecting Earth from EEEEEvil Aliens? I Love that Storyline! Grendizer, Gaiking, Getter Robo G! Story is less important than exciting Action! My Favorite War Of The Worlds Adaption is...Marvel Comics Killraven! I did see Voltes V and Daimon Compilation Movie On tv long before Discotek got the Voltes V complete series!
DQBunny

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:48 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Hate to seeing people, especially English speakers, still called "Case Closed" instead original title "Detective Conan". It's kinda blasphemy. It's 2020 not 2000.

Isn't there a whole copyright thing involved with the Conan the Barbarian franchise, though? That's why the series name changed to begin with. Considering that's still an active franchise, I highly doubt Discotek wants a lawsuit on their hands, especially now.
Coco-girl

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
Dang, sentai really dropped the ball on Scryed, didn't they? And I don't think we will ever get the girl who leapt through space, either.
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:32 am Reply with quote
DQBunny wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Hate to seeing people, especially English speakers, still called "Case Closed" instead original title "Detective Conan". It's kinda blasphemy. It's 2020 not 2000.

Isn't there a whole copyright thing involved with the Conan the Barbarian franchise, though? That's why the series name changed to begin with. Considering that's still an active franchise, I highly doubt Discotek wants a lawsuit on their hands, especially now.

The title change didn't make sense when Funi did it, and it still doesn't make sense 17 years later. The only thing the two series have in common is the normal everyday given name Conan. That is not enough to justify a lawsuit. Discotek proved this when they released the Conan vs Lupin crossovers with the original name couple years ago. Thus, I'm guessing it must have been a demand by TMS to use the Case Closed name. But still awesome we are finally getting more of the anime. All hail Discotek!

Last edited by vanishingblood on Mon May 04, 2020 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
Discotek really seems to be on a roll! How are the quality of their blu rays? Do they stream?
I would LOVE them to pick up GiTS: SAC and bring that on Blu-ray! Very Happy
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
DQBunny wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Same happen with Jojo's Bizzare Adventure with stand names in English subs and dubs.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
Discotek really seems to be on a roll! How are the quality of their blu rays? Do they stream?
I would LOVE them to pick up GiTS: SAC and bring that on Blu-ray! Very Happy

Discotek's blu ray releases are always top notch - with a lot of extra leg work that goes into making them the definitive releases (especially when it comes to older series including as many extras as possible, old dubs, etc.). A bunch of their stuff steams on Crunchyroll, and some more will be featured on RetroCrush in the future.

https://www.retrocrush.tv/

https://www.crunchyroll.com/publisher/discotek
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
You guys might want to check your article again. You said that:

Quote:
the series is region-blocked in countries including the United States and Japan.

I'm pretty sure that Combattler V (pronounced like the letter V) wouldn't be region-blocked in its home country of Japan...

In any case, it would have to explain why it is region-locked in the U.S., along with Voltes V (pronounced like the number 5), Daimos, Daltanious (the YouTube channel's spelling), and Laserion.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
You guys might want to check your article again. You said that:

Quote:
the series is region-blocked in countries including the United States and Japan.

I'm pretty sure that Combattler V (pronounced like the letter V) wouldn't be region-blocked in its home country of Japan...

Actually it is blocked in Japan, everything on that channel is and was acknowledged in the original source of that news (as seen here and here).

Full list of what's blocked and where in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/toku_gami/status/1246986616553590785
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
"Kazumaaaaaaaaa!"
"Ryuhoooooooooo!"

"Hammmmmerrrrrrr!"

I love that show.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

Care to explain why every time Case Closed is brought up, you show up with this comment? I am curious to why you think it is wrong calling it "Case Closed" in English?
EricMontreal22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Old shoujo stuff in particular definitely deserves more love. Stuff like Fancy Lala, Wedding Peach, and many other shows deserve a re-release, and shows like Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Sally the Witch, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Tokyo Mew Mew, and definitely Lady Lady deserve to be put on Blu-Ray here.'.

Try and vote with your wallet whenever you can. I got Creamy Mami, The Little Mermaid, Rose of Versailles, Dear Brother, Glass Mask, Princess Knight, Cutey Honey, and just about any others that came out along the way. I'm trying to show my love here, licensors... give me more ladies. The saving of Marmalade Boy and Hana Yori Dango has made me hopeful that it’s finally helping get this stuff out the door again.

*crosses fingers* Pleeeeeaaaase give me Aim for the Ace.

Dezaki's Aim for the Ace is wonderful--and really shows the beginnings of his style he used for the second half of Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother. Speaking of... while I did get Rose of Versailles' on DVD back when it was easy to find, I didn't even know Dear Brother had a release (despite being perhaps my all time fave TV anime) until it became virtually impossible to find (I still look every so often).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4