• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Tutu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
The climactic scene of episode 13 is not only my favorite sequence in the entire series, for my money it's one of the all-time great scenes in anime as a whole. The power of Tutu's dancing, Tchiakovsky's legendary score swelling in the background... gives me chills every time.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
No comment on Uzura yet, I see.

To anyone who's listening to Freya's voice in Japanese, yes, that is Mamiko Noto, just as her career was taking off -- she'd been Fujio in Ojamajo Doremi, Rin in Inuyasha, and Shinji Kazama in Full Metal Panic, and was about to debut what I thiiiink was her first starring role, Narue Nanase in The World of Narue.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the final episodes:

When the original single covering episodes 23-26 came out back in 2006, I gave it one of the most glowing reviews that I have ever written. Even 14 year later, I still feel that Princess Tutu has one of the strongest and most compelling finales of any anime series I've ever seen. (I wasn't the only one who thought so, either; the original DVD release included a video clip of Duck's English voice, Luci Christian, crying as she previewed the climactic scenes before recording them.)

Rebecca focused on the narrative aspects of these final episodes and how they interweave with fairy tales (which only reaffirms for me that she was the perfect person to do the reviews for this one), but I think these episodes are also triumphs in the visual and especially musical senses; this is, I believe, the only instance where I have ever given an A+ grade for music. The series has been using ballet themes for its whole run, but I feel that by its end it has actually become a ballet. The music is delivering the narrative as much as the writing is, and it is accompanied by some fantastic visuals. (Duck pirouetting as a duck is a visual I will always remember.)

For anyone who has even a passing fondness for the series, I highly recommend this award-winning AMV featuring content from throughout the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Rebecca. A great series of reviews --- they were real pleasures to read.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, it was nice to see all the references, and to remember that great anime. One think surprised me - Rebecca wrote
Quote:
We see this very clearly as the final credits roll, with Mytho (now reclaiming his name of Siegfried, a legendary German hero) and Rue dancing in what is clearly a performance – they aren't perfect, but they are themselves as they should have always been, before Drosselmeyer decided to pull people from Gold Crown Town into his world. The Prince and Princess have flown away on their magic swan-drawn sleigh; now only Siegfried and Rue are left.
I always understood it as a scene from their fairytale, not that they split in two (four?). Am I alone in that understanding?
I also found interesting that Drosselmeyer, when he notices he may be also a character in tale, decides to do "what he wants" anyway, though he tried to block that option for his characters. Did he change after this tale, or was he always a hypocrite?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nothing of much to add except my heartfelt thanks to Rebecca, as these were always a joy to read! And I cried at this episode, like I always do. Laughing Also, many years ago I attended Ushicon when Itou was invited as a guest. I think her panel interview lives on in a livejournal post somewhere, and it’s neat to read some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
The ending always bothered me to the point that I have a hard time liking the series. When Mytho cited that he was choosing Rue because the pain she had experienced proved her love for him, I kept thinking that this just reeked of an unhealthy relationship. It also seemed to invalidate everything Ahiru had done to help save Mytho and made me want to smack the crap out of Mytho. I didn't want Mytho to end up with Ahiru but at the same time I wanted him to at least acknowledge her efforts. It just seemed really callous on Mytho's part and made me really detest him as a character.

I also wanted a happy ending for both Fakir and Ahiru. I liked them and I felt like it needed another episode or season where their story could be expanded upon.

I saw Itoh at UshiCon 2019 and Tutu is the series that she holds the most dear. I get that, as this is her creation, whereas Sailor Moon, is not. I just really wish that Mytho's reason was a bit...better..?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The ending always bothered me to the point that I have a hard time liking the series. When Mytho cited that he was choosing Rue because the pain she had experienced proved her love for him, I kept thinking that this just reeked of an unhealthy relationship. It also seemed to invalidate everything Ahiru had done to help save Mytho and made me want to smack the crap out of Mytho. I didn't want Mytho to end up with Ahiru but at the same time I wanted him to at least acknowledge her efforts. It just seemed really callous on Mytho's part and made me really detest him as a character.

I also wanted a happy ending for both Fakir and Ahiru. I liked them and I felt like it needed another episode or season where their story could be expanded upon.

I saw Itoh at UshiCon 2019 and Tutu is the series that she holds the most dear. I get that, as this is her creation, whereas Sailor Moon, is not. I just really wish that Mytho's reason was a bit...better..?

For what it's worth, during the 2006 Ushicon, Itoh said she had wanted to include a speech Mytho gives thanking Duck and all that jazz but it was cut for time. If I'm not totally mistaken, I believe she even recited the speech for us, but it was in Japanese, and the translator didn't have time to delve into specifics and just let it be in it's native form. She also hinted that she thought it was entirely possible for Duck to become a girl permanently, and that this was probably what Fakir was working on in the ending shot.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:43 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

For what it's worth, during the 2006 Ushicon, Itoh said she had wanted to include a speech Mytho gives thanking Duck and all that jazz but it was cut for time. If I'm not totally mistaken, I believe she even recited the speech for us, but it was in Japanese, and the translator didn't have time to delve into specifics and just let it be in it's native form. She also hinted that she thought it was entirely possible for Duck to become a girl permanently, and that this was probably what Fakir was working on in the ending shot.

Yeah, I always understood that it was strongly implied Fakir will use his reality writing skill to give Duck another story (but without messing with other people) , which in my headcanon was clearly Ahiru getting to be a human and eventually hitching with Fakir (that one due to her choice, not his writing obviously).
As for Mytho, this powerful scene when he learns that his savior is one of those little, fragile beings he always tried to protect and then he - the Prince himself - immediately kneels before her duck form - was all the acknowledgement of her effort I needed.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:04 am Reply with quote
Definitely, a masterpiece of the genre.

Usually, I would say that an anime is great but here and there it is lacking something major, but watching this has mostly made me only wish it would be made in 30/60 FPS animation in a wide aspect ratio with richer animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4