• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club: Amazon Delists Some Light Novels, Manga on Kindle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenimLS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/jnovelclub/status/1283148942297968640

Amazon is also blocking from sale Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Volume 1 and Infinite Stratos Volume 3.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Comic LO is available for purchase on Amazon.co.jp, so I'm getting a kick out of this nonsense.

That's why Amazon uses seperate per-country accounts and not a global single user accounts and why they have separate policies including export restrictions in each country.

Anyways, they had already banned graphic novels and text books as a form of pure censorship for both sexual reasons and politically ideological reasons and now Yen Press just issued a statement on twitter confirming Amazon's total banning of No Game No Life. The banning is final and Yen Press even suggests you buy their books frrom other retailers, so this implies that it wasn't some fluke or automated triggering, but a human reviewer just like the censorship of other titles before this.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
The big problem with this is that publishers make a huge percentage of their sales through Amazon. As we've seen in this very thread, there are a good number of readers for whom the choice is either Amazon or piracy. This won't help other retailers; it just hurts the publisher/customer.

You'll see this with Steam as well. Steam makes up a ridiculous percentage of the sales for all PC games. It's why the people who publish adult games are so desperate to get them onto Steam, even if they have to censor most of the game and create a decensorship patch - if it's not on Steam, it won't make a profit.

More or less the issue. Reminds me when Borders was the top dog in the book market and they refused to carry certain series. It was more or less a death sentence and gave the company insane amounts of control and influence in the market to decide which series succeeded and which didn't. Getting your book in a smaller Mom & Pop store didn't mean a thing but was often the excuse used why it's okay if "one outlet" not to carry it and you had "many other opportunities" to sell your work. Legally, sure, they're in the right to do whatever they want and sell whatever they want in their business, but the issue has never been one of legality, it's just a nice little cover for people to use to justify it Laughing At least until it happens to them, then suddenly it's an issue
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
This is quite possibly unrelated to these delistings or to anything other than Canadian distribution issues but I've noticed that many North American physical media releases of perfectly innocuous anime like the Non Non Biyori: Vacation movie aren't even being listed on Amazon Canada anymore.

I've had to order anime from the States for the first time in about a decade or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
These events sadden me since I like digital for new series since I am trying to cut back on clutter and I don't want buy another reader just to read few series that get removed from Amazon
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I was worried they would have yoinked them back from my kindle app, but thankfully I still have How Not to Summon a Demon Lord through volume 12 on there! PHEW ... it's my favorite dumb isekai series!

This is infuriating. I know Amazon can do whatever they want, but I'm getting really tired of the sanitization efforts in every internet space that gets big/popular - why does everything have to be so G rated or even just vanilla / mainstream?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright folks let's stop with the soapboxing and social grandstanding. Some posts are now gone. This is not a discussion on social issues, censorship, or making cultural stereotypes. That's all getting OT. Let's also reel in the censorship internet rage posts please. If you have an opinion that is on topic then post it with some actual thoughts. Not just rage comments. I also suggest some of you watch the insults towards each other.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
This is just plain ridiculous.

I didn't know about I Shall Survive Using Potions! banning. Now How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord is banned.

If I wanted my service to be family friendly I'd be on Apple. Amazon shouldn't be pulling this crap.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
is there anything we can do about Amazon's book banning actions? Like Twitter hashtags or other stuff?
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
That's why I stick with RightStuf when it comes to the physical anime/manga.

Heck, they even sell hentai anime/manga!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Amazon has made their choice about what they want to sell, and it's theirs to make (I have to admit that some of the illustrations of No game, no life, of underage Shiro and Izuna are pretty skeevy).

Buy physical media from RightStuf, and ebooks from Bookwalker. Bookwalker gives you the advantage of being able to buy Japanese books as well.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:41 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I didn't know about I Shall Survive Using Potions! banning. Now How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord is banned.

If I wanted my service to be family friendly I'd be on Apple. Amazon shouldn't be pulling this crap.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the Apple Books app on my iPhone, and both Grimgar and Potions are being sold on there. Looks like most JNC stuff as well as a ton of other manga and LNs are on here actually. Never really noticed until now as I didn’t think much about Apple and eBooks.

Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
That's why I stick with RightStuf when it comes to the physical anime/manga.

Heck, they even sell hentai anime/manga!

I think the last time I ordered anime from the United States (probably Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens), I ordered from Right Stuf but this time (over a decade later), I thought I'd give Robert's Anime Corner Store a try since Non Non Biyori: Vacation on Blu-Ray was sub-$20.

Until recently, I had a local place I could buy anime from or, if it wasn't in stock, I could order it but they got rid of all (video) physical media and now just sell manga and merchandise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Someone said this above, but Apple sells all of our ebooks with the only exception JK Haru.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:15 am Reply with quote
Rightstuf and other options are well and good for physical copies, but the Kindle / kindle app is super convenient and where I've been reading most light novels. Granted, there are still a lot available out there, but this is definitely frustrating. I have 1-12 of How Not to Summon a Demon Lord on the kindle app, but I guess I'll have to switch over to iBooks for the rest when they're released? Will I be forced to buy physical copies eventually (which are twice as expensive). Such a disorganized pain! The books are still available on apple books, so this isn't an apple thing (for now) just an Amazon thing.

It's also annoying because I love using the no rush shipping rewards for kindle books!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7