• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I always appreciate the depth of history and knowledge about things Rebecca Silverman brings to her reviews. Always a fun and informative time. Smile
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:48 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
I always appreciate the depth of history and knowledge about things Rebecca Silverman brings to her reviews. Always a fun and informative time. Smile

Very Happy Thank you! That is a bright spot in what was a not-great day.

I also forgot to mention that while one meaning of the name "Roy" is "king" (from the Medieval French spelling of "roi," the modern French word for "king"), it also has origins in the Gaelic name Ruadh, which means "red."
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I only have one request for Cells at Work! Season 2, since it's confirmed the second season only has 8 episodes total (from its BD information) , and the last manga chapter is about COVID-19, please adapt that chapter and make it the last anime episodes as well! I personally need all the spiritual cheer possible, plus I can use that episode to convince all the non-mask-wearers in my graduate school to follow the guidelines (yes, you would be surprised how many graduate students here in CA refuse to put a mask on during lab time)
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I only have one request for Cells at Work! Season 2, since it's confirmed the second season only has 8 episodes total (from its BD information) , and the last manga chapter is about COVID-19, please adapt that chapter and make it the last anime episodes as well! I personally need all the spiritual cheer possible, plus I can use that episode to convince all the non-mask-wearers in my graduate school to follow the guidelines (yes, you would be surprised how many graduate students here in CA refuse to put a mask on during lab time)

Depending on what they work with, it sometime a good idea not to wear a mask while working with chemical since they can accumulate in the mask and you end up breathing them over time (although using a disposable mask does the job just fine, but you go trough a lot in a day that way so if you work in a lab with no one else it might be preferable not to wear one).
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does the link to 2.43 Volleyball just go to Cells at Work S2 again? Please fix, staff, I wanna read your thoughts on Haikyuu: Stars Align edition!
Axbox360

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Anime Binge-Watcher wrote:
Is it just me, or does the link to 2.43 Volleyball just go to Cells at Work S2 again? Please fix, staff, I wanna read your thoughts on Haikyuu: Stars Align edition!

Yeah the link is not working for me too.

Also is the volleyball light novel a BL/Yaoi?
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, they kind of fixed it. It's not linking to Cells at Work anymore. Instead it's a dead link to Ex-Arm now. Well, at least they tried Laughing

[EDIT: This link has been fixed and is now working properly. - Key]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed Howan and Himeko becoming an item beyond just teasing like was done with Retoree's more obvious affection of Cyan.
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:00 am Reply with quote
"I love you and I want to be with you forever" seemed pretty unambiguous to me. There are plenty of heterosexual romances that never get that clear.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
In 2.43 MC's mother is dead (this is like 100th or more mom dies in anime for no reason) but (abandoned) dad is alive and well. Not again. While in Haikyu (original volleyball anime) the MC's mother is, ironically, alive and well. What a difference from volleyball animes.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
by the end I found myself convinced that it might work just as well (if not better) as a 7-8 minute short.

Gotta agree, design team would be much stronger if it was shorter, keep the same content just remove a lot of the fluff between joke. Also I can't help but compare it to the twitter meme/joke about God drunkenly making animal, those were generally just as funny, if not better, except they took 5 second to read. The snake section also felt like a animal tier list video.

The info slideshow makes it educational (much better than cell at work), but they really could integrated those segment into the actual story. They're designing the animal, why not have those feature be part of the design process?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:21 am Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode of Volleybois 2.0, but the review blurb confused the hell out of me. "The two grow as an ace duo but clash at their final middle school prefectural tournament and went on to their local Seiin High School without speaking to each other." This did not happen in the episode, as they haven't even played any matches yet, let alone a tournament. But I can forgive that because the way the episode was laid out confused me too.

Other than that, it looks like it could be pretty good. I don't think I'll have a problem forgiving Chika's "bullying" unless they show us something more egregious than him yelling at a teammate. He wasn't any more abusive in what we were shown than Kageyama was with his middle school team, or what I've seen in countless sports anime before. Hell, coaches are usually more abusive and it's presented as just as par for the course (unless they hit a student). He does seem to regret it, so as long as he stays on that course, I don't see him as irredeemable.

Heaven's Evo-Devo Team has potential, and was kinda fun and interesting, but it didn't really click with me, even though it should be right in my wheelhouse. But they basically got things right, as far as how nature designs things and reuses things that work, or arrives as the same solutions from completely different starting points. I think the guy who wants to eat everything could get really old really fast. He was wearing out his welcome even before the episode ended.

Office Lady and Salaryman Cells were fine. Maybe I'm jaded already, but while I enjoyed both versions, I wasn't as gung ho for either this time around. Not sure why all the Black WBCs are busty women, but ok. I did like the nod to cell recognition in the training film, but then they threw that idea out the window, so I dunno if that was even the original intent, or just to show the contrast between friendly ideal and impersonal reality.

The other problem I had with Black was they made it sound like existence was different for the unhealthy-body cells than for healthy-body cells, but in reality, the job is the same for the cells either way: work till you die, doing the same thing over and over, no breaks. Just a riskier, shorter life span for a lot of the Black cells.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He does seem to regret it, so as long as he stays on that course, I don't see him as irredeemable.

You're probably right. Bullying is my major button (thanks, middle and high school), so it's always a turn-off for me in a more extreme way than other story elements I may take issue with.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode of Back Arrow, so I'm sticking my tongue out at the grouchiness detected around certain parts. Razz

That said, I know it's not a show for people who don't like a fairly fast paced introduction and a rather lighthearted atmosphere with a ton of silliness and some admittedly juvenile naughty humor.

Nakashima often writes like that, so that was exactly what I expected. There's still some interesting material, however, and the action was quite good. I also don't mind seeing new terminology being introduced. It's not supposed to be a realistic, down-to-earth setting.

Of course the pacing will eventually slow down, the stakes will be raised, at least a few characters will be developed. All of that will come in due time. For now, I was pleased.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Heaven's Design Team is the only one interesting me so far, and it sounds like it's really funny. Vladlove looks beyond crap, and LBX Girls looks/sounds like a poorly made Symphogear or Strike Witches knock-off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22