• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Duke of Death and His Maid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 7:37 am Reply with quote
So I had a couple of thoughts watching the Duke of Death's latest episode.

- Walter's really come into his own.

- the situation is rife with time paradox questions. I stopped you from cursing me before you cursed me. Therefore, the events which led to me stopping you never occurred....which means I never stopped you? But if I didn't stop you....then you would have gone ahead and cursed me, which would have led to me stopping you...

- I really enjoyed how the show's OP has it saying that the Duke doesn't feel the slightest bit lonely...and instead of just referring to Alice, the panel opens up to show the entire supporting cast, which has really taken on some depth. It's a nice visual illustration of how the character has made real progress, not just in regards to his curse, but emotionally.

- Sade has become one of the most distinctive villains in a long time. Twisted, malicious, and powerful with a messed up back story. More scary, in a way, than some All For One type sociopath or a pure evil demon lord because the pointlessness and capriciousness (capricious can be a noun, right?) of her actions is both sad and infuriating.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 10:13 am Reply with quote
Caprice is the noun form. Capriciousness is also a noun. Capricious is an adjective. Smile

I'm not certain, but I think the current plan is to get her to come back with them and lift the curse in the present time? That would take care of the paradox, I think? The repercussions of her death would remain, but so would she by disappearing from that time and reappearing in the present. She would have to stay long enough to curse him first though. Maybe with having met how they all turned out, she might regret it once she does and agree to come back. I dunno, I'm just waiting to see how it plays out, expecting it to be great. Very Happy
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 5:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Caprice is the noun form. Capriciousness is also a noun. Capricious is an adjective. Smile

Hah hah, nice one Gina. But I know full well that Caprice is the name of a Chevrolet brand Smile

And however the time thing works out logically, at least it has the benefit of being a result of magic, so to a certain extent you can throw logic out the window. Not that I really need an excuse to throw logic out the window... anyway, I too, can't wait, but at the same time I'm not too impatient because Google confirmed that this is the final season, so I'm also kind of savoring each episode.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:37 am Reply with quote
This is not the type of show to think too hard about. Heck, even though it is pretty much the final fight the mood is pretty chill/calm with a few gags thrown in for good measure. As for said fight, it is actually going better than I expected. Sade is somewhat listening and did not go into action from the very start and past Daleth has been defeated. The only question is if Zain can hold off Sade for a bit.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:38 am Reply with quote
While Alice was talking about how Viktor had suffered, it occurred to me that Viktor has every right to feel rage and bitterness, but the main thing that drives him is compassion. And Walter has basically had everything handed to him because of Viktor's curse, but the main thing that drives him is rage. And yes, I get that Walter's rage is really because he feels typecast as the person who got handed stuff without doing anything to earn it and is also a rejection of the helpless guilt he feels. I just think it's interesting.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:53 am Reply with quote
That is kind of a big theme of the finale and the series in general. Many get dealt a shitty hand without any fault of their own and the big question is how you handle the situation emotions wise. Some stay strong despite all of the adversity they have to deal with and others like Sade are so afraid of getting hurt that they turn into monsters.

As for the finale (well, kind of), I like that every character of the team got their moment to shine and was part of succeeding in the end. As for Sade herself: her road to redemption will be a long one, she has probably killed a lot of people. The thing that makes me sympathetic is that the ability to read minds automatically is a horrible one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was not the final episode, yet it sure felt like one. We had Sade letting go off her fears/worries and choosing a better future for herself (literally). Both curses were broken and especially the moment of Alice and the duke finally being able to touch was something else after all this time. Even the dreaded what comes next with the noble line/heir stuff was handled rather swiflty thanks to the help of some magic friends. Victor and Sade also had a final goodbye.

So yeah, it felt really final, the final episode is probably one showing everyone being happy.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Smurky - maybe there'll be a wedding? Anyway, I got back from a trip this morning, exhausted in that weird way that sitting down for a long time while travelling and eating road fare can wear you out, and I crashed and started watching some of the near week's worth of anime that I missed. And this was the first anime I watched.

One thing that occurred to me was that Viktor should just not tell everyone that he's been cured. Walter wants to be the Duke, and he doesn't. Plus, after all those years getting used to being an introvert, Viktor probably wouldn't take to being the center of social activity for his entire region.

Either way, I was relieved to see that the show's not going to end at the moment the curse was broken, or even five minutes later. For me, this episode delivered.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:17 pm Reply with quote
They certainly got some tears from me when they hugged. Not that it takes much...

I'm kinda annoyed by the added drama at the end, which seems out of character for Alice. Not that I can't see her leaving if it were really the best thing for him, but to do it in such a melodramatic way so soon before anything had really been decided feels contrived. But it's not so bad that I can stay mad for very long. Smile

I still want to know how Rob lost his eye (if he did). Also wondering why we were denied Nico's true face. I suspect this series has a couple more surprises up its sleeve for the finale.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:47 am Reply with quote
There was an episode - I can't remember if it was season 1 or 2 now - where Alice sadly promised herself that she would leave for the Duke's own good if he ever got cured and Rob was kind of tacitly agreeing with her. It does feel like she should have gotten over it considering how much closer they've gotten since then, but at least the drama didn't come out of nowhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if the show did have a few more surprises up its sleeve. I'd kind of like to see Viktor's father, for example. Even if they completely screwed up the last episode - which I don't think they will -, I could pretty much just pretend it never happened and treat this episode as the end of the series at this point.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
I hope that they do not try to cram too much into the final episode. One or two surprises, sure, but I mostly just want everyone to hang out together one final time and see them end up happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4