• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - If 'JRPG' is a Dirty Word, It's America's Fault

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:23 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

First of all, I would not say the West turned up it's nose at the DS. 3DS maybe, but that was a worldwide issue. Second, I would say handhelds and handhelds alone hard carrying Japanese companies through that generation was a clear example of the issue. Especially considering this was industry-wide

The Western press and industry absolutely turned its nose up at handhelds, trying (and usually) failing to bash them. So many people whined when mainline entries in franchises like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest went to handhelds, they cried about graphics and performance and were stunned, STUNNED, when they were successful. And let's not even get into how Western publishers had basically a non-existent presence on them with indies being the only ones releasing.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this topic. Please excuse me while my head explodes.

What is an RPG these days, anyway? Game developers--almost exclusively western game developers--have diluted the term to the point where it's meaningless.

It started with "action RPGs," and it's snowballed from there.

First-person shooters are called RPGs.

Side-scrolling platformers are called RPGs.

Hack and slash button-mashers are called RPGs.

An RPG--an actual RPG--is a game with statistical character measurements and growth, and where the primary game mechanic is player choice. If you lose, it's because you made a poor decision, not because your thumb slipped.

JRPGs? These days, that's shorthand for the real thing, as opposed to the souped-up cinematic blobs that have saturated the market ever since FF VII actually made RPGs more than a niche.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Can't be any worse than what Megaman creator Keiji Inafune had said about Japanese games Laughing

Plus, let's not forget that for awhile, Japan had its term for Western games too: yo-ge kuso-ge ("west game, shit game")

Wired Japan: Why Japan hate "Western games":

Quote:
「日本は外国のゲームに寛容であったことがない」と、東京の大手ゲーム・パブリッシャーで働くグウェン・キャンベルは話す。同氏は、他の外国人たちと、ゲームに関するポッドキャストのホストも務めている。「『洋ゲー』という用語は、伝統的に侮辱の言葉で、『質が低い』ことを意味している」

Rough translation: "Japan has never been tolerant of foreign games," says Gwen Campbell, who works for a major game publisher in Tokyo. He also hosts a podcast about gaming with other foreigners. "The term 'Western game' is traditionally an insult and means 'low quality.'"

1Up: "Why Japanese Games are Breaking Up With the West":

Quote:
As Japanese gamers lost interest in console games, production dipped. At the same time, market forces prompted western PC heavy hitting developers to change their focus to consoles. Suddenly the console market was dominated by the west, and Japanese audiences have never liked western games. There's an old Japanese gaming proverb, yo-ge kuso-ge: literally, "western games are shit."

Gaming Xenophobia

The state of affairs slowly changed, but Japanese perceptions of western games hasn't. While there's a small group of hardcore gamers who import the latest titles from America, and designers like Suda 51 have acted as champions of foreign games, there are still many gamers and members of the industry who still cling to their old beliefs. One designer at a high-profile JRPG maker told us of the time he brought Bioshock into the office. While the younger members of the company were impressed, a high-ranking and well known producer played the game for thirty seconds, declared, "This game feels cheap," dropped the controller on the desk and walk away without another word.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Quote:

One designer at a high-profile JRPG maker told us of the time he brought Bioshock into the office. While the younger members of the company were impressed, a high-ranking and well known producer played the game for thirty seconds, declared, "This game feels cheap," dropped the controller on the desk and walk away without another word.

I mean... So? I live in the west and I hate the "triple A gaming" genre too, though it's more like AAA games are "too expensive" rather than "too cheap". They are the James Cameron's Avatar of games. Ugly colour pallettes, obsession with frame rates and photorealism, no understand of basic principals of animation like "visual appeal". If I'm going to play a game, I want something with a visually appealing, nostalgic or charmingly minimalist art style. I'd rather play club penguin than the doom reboot.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:50 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Quote:

One designer at a high-profile JRPG maker told us of the time he brought Bioshock into the office. While the younger members of the company were impressed, a high-ranking and well known producer played the game for thirty seconds, declared, "This game feels cheap," dropped the controller on the desk and walk away without another word.

I mean... So? I live in the west and I hate the "triple A gaming" genre too, though it's more like AAA games are "too expensive" rather than "too cheap". They are the James Cameron's Avatar of games. Ugly colour pallettes, obsession with frame rates and photorealism, no understand of basic principals of animation like "visual appeal". If I'm going to play a game, I want something with a visually appealing, nostalgic or charmingly minimalist art style. I'd rather play club penguin than the doom reboot.

It's especially weird for people to be banking on Bioshock because we have the benefit of hindsight and Bioshock hasn't aged well. So the article feels less like "Japanese devs discriminate against American games!" and more like "Look at these weird, backwards Japanese devs who don't like our awesome games!"
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:14 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

I would also like to take this time to state that in my experience, the one single word in gaming literacy that from day one was absolutely 200% derogatory in every sense.... was mobile.

More derogatory than DLC?

Beatdigga wrote:

It honestly makes a lot of Adam Sessler's later statements really suspect, and sort of explains why so many game players...don't like game journalists.

I thought that was due to having opinions good & bad just like the people hating them?

Beatdigga wrote:
This can assuredly be a situation where both are accurate. Japanese developers had issues focusing on consoles in the 360/PS3 generation which weren't fully righted until the PS4/One generation, and X-Play was full of racist, xenophobic, passive-aggressive garbage like when they reviewed an Eyeshield 21 game (that they didn't know how to play so they said it sucked, it's really just an arcade footballer in the vein of Tecmo Bowl)

To be fair when people think of “Arcade Football game” NFL Blitz and NFL Street are the games that come to mind.

The original Tecmo Bowl especially compared to it’s later sequels was not a good game.

AsleepBySunset wrote:
obsession with frame rates

Not for nothing but this isn’t really a bad thing if your game can’t run at a consistent frame rate without dipping well below it’s given frame rate. Or can only run 30 by default that’s going to be legit dealbreaker for many people.

AsleepBySunset wrote:
I'd rather play club penguin than the doom reboot.

But the Doom Reboot is good certainly better than Doom 3.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:33 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Quote:

Now, turn that around, and what people say about JRPGs.

So there's no difference when Westerners use JRPG as a derogatory term, and when Japanese had been using yo-ge as a derogatory term.

That's my point - Japan had been using a derogatory term for Western games for a long time, even before JRPG became a derogatory term. So complaining about that now is hypocritical.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

So there's no difference when Westerners use JRPG as a derogatory term, and when Japanese had been using yo-ge as a derogatory term.

That's my point - Japan had been using a derogatory term for Western games for a long time, even before JRPG became a derogatory term. So complaining about that now is hypocritical.

And here I was thinking this east-west beef was squashed decades ago Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:49 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And here I was thinking this east-west beef was squashed decades ago Wink

I mean, where were the people complaining when those derogatory terms were being used all these years - at this point, who cares? :

The terms will change when they change. Like "Yankee" was a derogatory term for Americans by the British too. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Maybe consider there's a difference between being critical of the flaws of the AAA gaming industry made by mostly privileged white devs versus American journalists dismissing RPG games solely because of the country they're from, particularly where most people in said country are BIPOC.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Maybe consider there's a difference between being critical of the flaws of the AAA gaming industry made by mostly privileged white devs versus American journalists dismissing RPG games solely because of the country they're from, particularly where most people in said country are BIPOC.

Wait, who are these mostly privileged white devs being critical of the flaws of the AAA gaming industry? Where's that coming from?

I thought we're discussing Japanese (gamers, devs, etc.) dismissing yo-ge (Western games) solely because of the region they're from vs. American journalists dismissing RPG games solely because of the country they're from?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:36 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

It's especially weird for people to be banking on Bioshock because we have the benefit of hindsight and Bioshock hasn't aged well. So the article feels less like "Japanese devs discriminate against American games!" and more like "Look at these weird, backwards Japanese devs who don't like our awesome games!"

It's also kind of funny how the week this happens is the ten year anniversary of Bioshock Infinite, a game once lauded as the next level in gaming...and is now lambasted as one of the most overrated games of all time with a sloppy script and design that shows the obvious scars of a troubled development cycle. This has been an eye-opening few days to say the least, making a lot of people reflect on how stupid a lot of gaming coverage was back then
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Wait, who are these mostly privileged white devs being critical of the flaws of the AAA gaming industry? Where's that coming from?

I thought we're discussing Japanese (gamers, devs, etc.) dismissing yo-ge (Western games) solely because of the region they're from vs. American journalists dismissing RPG games solely because of the country they're from?
You're missing my point. American journalists dismissed JRPGs because they're racist hacks making broad stereotyped generalizations about Japanese people and the power dynamic is entirely different than AAA games.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You're completely missing my point so I'll put it in blunter terms. American journalists dismissed JRPGs because they're racist hacks making broad stereotyped generalizations about Japanese people and the power dynamic is entirely different than AAA games.

OK? But I don't mind if people dismiss AAA games - they can have that opinion.

But I'm not talking about AAA games. Ghost of Tsushima is AAA game. Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are AAA series. Heck, Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. AAA can be Japanese or Western

I'm talking about Japanese dismissing Western games, and Westerners dismissing JRPGs. Regardless if it's AAA or not, doesn't matter

The person who inserted AAA games into the discussion is AsleepBySunset. Maybe ya should talk with that person
medicinodestiny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I mean, enurtsol is correct. If you need it worded different, then look at this way: How many people dismiss western cartoons, games, and comics for being 'woke'? The irony of using Japan being BIPOC is ironic since 1) Asians are generally not considered BIPOC and 2) people use Japanese media as an example of media free from 'woke' ideology aka black people and LGBT stuff. There's definately people who judge media made in Japan and the West based on principles alone. People call Japanese media sexist, racist, backwards, and dont like it as a result. Conversely, you have those who complain about American games having ugly characters, LGBT stuff, and other traits that get lumped onto western games.

So let's not act like people don't still do the whole 'weird, primitive Japan' take in 2023. It's just done under the guise of social justice now where we berate Japan for not having western sensibilities. Case in point: this very article "side-eying" YoshiP's comments about diversity. Do we need to bring up all the times people here have told Japan they need to 'get with the times'? Is that not a form of judging Japan with a blanket statement? We have the recipts to back it up, so hopefully people don't pull an Adam Sessler and try to double down rather than admitting to the fact they roll their eyes everytime a new Dragon Quest comes out and it makes a puff-puff joke or a Fire Emblem game sexualizes a 7000 dragon who looks like a 6 year old girl.

Although, hot take, I think that's completely fine to do that. If you dont like Japanese/American games for having basic traits, styles, and approaches you don't like thats your opinion and you're free to have it. People can hate American games for the ugly characters and focus on the shooter genre or cinematic style like Last of Us. People can hate Japanese games for the way they design female characters and the lack of diversity or the anime art style. Don't see a problem with that, personally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6