• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy×Family Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Would they even allow her to quit? Usually, something like that is portrayed as a job you can never leave without consequences. Then again, when Yor thinks about quitting, it's based on realizing she doesn't need to do it, and I suppose if leaving was that hard, she would have been thinking more about the consequences.

Ah, I mean, I love Yor, but she's often shockingly naive, and a bit of a space case. Laughing I would not be at all shocked if it turned out the Garden was very, very not accepting of her choosing to leave, and yet she was totally taken aback by that. I doubt we'll get to find out, though, except maybe closer to the end of the series; it feels like too large a change to the comedy while-loop for them to go for it this early on.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
I do not want to meet someone whose favorite character is Yuri.

A sentiment I hope we all share. I'd be happier if Yuri were written out of the show myself, but I can't see that happening. The manga-ka has a fascination with the Stasi that I don't understand. The East German secret police were known to be among the worst in Communist eastern Europe. I fail to see the humor.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

A sentiment I hope we all share. I'd be happier if Yuri were written out of the show myself, but I can't see that happening. The manga-ka has a fascination with the Stasi that I don't understand. The East German secret police were known to be among the worst in Communist eastern Europe. I fail to see the humor.

In the same way that Ostania has little resemblance to the real GDR/DDR, the SSS it's a version very very very watered down of the Stasi. They torture their prisoners yes (but the mangaka let us know that they are -most of them- all bad people). In the same way that the people killed by Yoru are mostly nasty criminals or more assassins. And we can be sure that Loid has killed more than once (probably more criminals or bad people) for Westalis.

So, yes, Yuri is a torturer, Yor a cold-bloded assassin and Loid a liar and probably also a killer. Or you can remember this is a comedy manga -most of the times- and laugh at the siscon brother, the klutz wife and the straightman husband with stomach ulcers from stress.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Would they even allow her to quit? Usually, something like that is portrayed as a job you can never leave without consequences. Then again, when Yor thinks about quitting, it's based on realizing she doesn't need to do it, and I suppose if leaving was that hard, she would have been thinking more about the consequences.

Ah, I mean, I love Yor, but she's often shockingly naive, and a bit of a space case. Laughing I would not be at all shocked if it turned out the Garden was very, very not accepting of her choosing to leave, and yet she was totally taken aback by that. I doubt we'll get to find out, though, except maybe closer to the end of the series; it feels like too large a change to the comedy while-loop for them to go for it this early on.

Yeah, I'm sure Yor thinks quitting Garden would be just as easy as quitting any other job, she'll just be in for a rude awakening later. Or maybe we'll all be in for a real twist way later down the line when/if she does finally quit and they'll just go "alright, don't snitch, have a nice life". Given how long she's been working for them, they probably know she's naive and trusting enough to never tell anyone about them.

yuna49 wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

I understand the idea of the humor. It's adding just one more level to all the double lives around the Forger family (and everyone around them) by making Yuri also have a job he can't tell anyone about and making him and Loid be directly opposing forces. And the mangaka clearly doesn't like reusing ideas, or Yuri could just be another spy, so stasi is just where the chip falls. But that's not the problem with Yuri (though to be sure, it is a problem). The real problem with Yuri is that his central gag isn't his double life like the rest of the main characters, it's his sister complex and boy is it not a gag that works. I mean hell, you can still do a lot of the same jokes if you tone it down a notch or 10. After all, most siblings are at least somewhat protective of each other and care about who their partners are, so you can still do all the bits where he hates Loid and plots against him. Or make jokes like the one in this episode about how Yor's bizarre upbringing warped him into being a total weirdo who loves disgusting food. But, y'know, WITHOUT making me cringe every time he shows up in a frame with the rest of the Forgers...
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:45 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
But that's not the problem with Yuri (though to be sure, it is a problem). The real problem with Yuri is that his central gag isn't his double life like the rest of the main characters, it's his sister complex and boy is it not a gag that works. I mean hell, you can still do a lot of the same jokes if you tone it down a notch or 10. After all, most siblings are at least somewhat protective of each other and care about who their partners are, so you can still do all the bits where he hates Loid and plots against him. Or make jokes like the one in this episode about how Yor's bizarre upbringing warped him into being a total weirdo who loves disgusting food. But, y'know, WITHOUT making me cringe every time he shows up in a frame with the rest of the Forgers...

Who knows, I got high hopes spoiler[for Chloe straightening him up]… even if it takes a looooong time, given the manga's pace.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

Not my favourite character obviously, but I really like him and I always find his gags funny. Having him being Loid's nemesis is a great idea and his crazy sister complex works well with someone as airheaded as Yor. He's way overhated and serves his comedic purpose perfectly well; I also didn't mind this episode's ending as it's thematically consistent with what comes immediately before.

A bit weird to find slightly incest-based jokes uncomfortable yet being totally fine with murder-related ones. Honestly, what I expected more from was Yor's fight with its questionable transitions and her final reflection that I didn't find particularly convincing, at least not as much as previous similar moments this series consistently executed surprisingly well for a comedy. Also, I hope Anya gets to do something more this arc.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I had completely forgotten about Anya unintentionally taking down 2 guys with Yor's "stabby thing" after her throw. Great gag in the middle of all the action.
pip25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately common issue with comedies. Easy to find a repeatable, effective schtick and want to stick to it

That's the thing, though. Yor's current role in the story doesn't really work. It never did. She's an assassin of a shady organization who doesn't pick her targets, and unsurprisingly the author is not really comfortable with showcasing that all too much. This arc was awesome and I truly enjoyed that they finally gave Yor something to do, but it also highlighted how much circumstances have to conspire for that to be possible (her getting an atypical assignment that's not about killing). I fear we're not going to see Yor in such a spotlight again anytime soon for this exact reason.
From this angle, I do believe shaking up the status quo when it comes to the true job of the Thorn Princess would very much benefit Spy×Family as a whole. I'm not holding my breath of course.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:40 am Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately common issue with comedies. Easy to find a repeatable, effective schtick and want to stick to it

That's the thing, though. Yor's current role in the story doesn't really work. It never did. She's an assassin of a shady organization who doesn't pick her targets, and unsurprisingly the author is not really comfortable with showcasing that all too much. This arc was awesome and I truly enjoyed that they finally gave Yor something to do, but it also highlighted how much circumstances have to conspire for that to be possible (her getting an atypical assignment that's not about killing). I fear we're not going to see Yor in such a spotlight again anytime soon for this exact reason.
From this angle, I do believe shaking up the status quo when it comes to the true job of the Thorn Princess would very much benefit Spy×Family as a whole. I'm not holding my breath of course.

Doing that would risk upending the whole premise of the series, something I don't think is gonna happen until we approach the endgame. Series is a comedy first and foremost and a drama second.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Did the studio state if this season might have another cour like season 1?
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Despite what her co-workers tend to say, Yor is basically always incredibly fashionable whenever she goes out. Her vacation outfit? Incredible, loved it, even though I am not a hat fan. Artist can't bear to make his leading lady unattractive I suppose?
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I've kind of fallen out of following the show the past few weeks, should get caught up. Though having so much of the talk in the thread be about Yuri doesn't exactly fill me with desire to do so.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuri's been a bit player lately, thankfully. I agree with pip25 that Yor's profession (and Yuri's) can make it hard to write effective comedy; it's too easy for it to come off as sadistic, nationalistic, a variety of other unpleasant '"istics". But, I thought they really pulled it off with this arc; the last 2-3 episodes have been my favorite episodes since the show first wow'd me somewhere in the beginning of the first season.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Forgers were able to enjoy a true vacation (before their movie vacation in Code White) together and Yor was able to be with her family...even if half the time it came at her expense.

We were also denied Yor in a bikini but I'm glad she found a way to be in the water with Anya and Loid got to show off his surfing skills.

Poor Anya trying to impress the rich kids but falling so far and just digging herself deeper. But hey, at least Damian paid attention to her story and never seemed to take his eyes off of her!

When you're in a family of liars, and the only one who fully understands you're in a family of liars, you understand how stressful it can be.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anya's desperate bid to impress her classmates is the strongest part, reminding us of her devotion to “Plan B” and how young she is, possibly even in comparison with them. (There's a pretty big developmental gap between five and six, if we assume she is at least a year younger.)

I read somewhere (a wiki maybe?) that said she was 4, and I've actually been thinking a lot on that lately. So much of this show's humor falls on "Anya is bad at school" it's really easy to forget that she's younger! I have a 3.5 year old myself, and if Anya is really 4, she's actually very intelligent and self-disciplined to be able to pass as a 6 year old, mind reading abilities or not. 4 year old school expectations are basically: can sit still for up to 10 minutes, can tell the difference between a lower and uppercase letter, can write their name and some letters. And this girl is completing written exams! (even if she isn't passing them)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5