• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Orders Halt on Fansub Links for 11 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
maybe they come out here but not likely
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Or...learn the language if you want to see it and it's not over here. Also, save up like I'm doing. I buy R2 Clannad.

This sort of thing happens. Get used to it.

*snaps fingers* OH MY GOD! How simple! That's so easy! I'll run out today and learn a WHOLE new and extremely different language from the one I already speak!

Now why didn't I think of that before...... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

This is [this is a bittorrent site]'s fault, they should have know one day they would have been caught.

Edit: No I wasn't being saracastic, just for the record.

C&Ds are sent to AS all the time. It's a matter of expected business now. The title is taken off the site and it's back to business as usual. AS also takes down announced titles for R1. It's not a big deal at all to that site nor negatively impacts their reputation.

Toshirodragon wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Or...learn the language if you want to see it and it's not over here. Also, save up like I'm doing. I buy R2 Clannad.

This sort of thing happens. Get used to it.

*snaps fingers* OH MY GOD! How simple! That's so easy! I'll run out today and learn a WHOLE new and extremely different language from the one I already speak!

And Rosetta Stone is available in most malls. I even heard that a few libraries carry this. Isn't that convenient?

You can thank me later. Laughing
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
And Rosetta Stone is available in most malls. I even heard that a few libraries carry this. Isn't that convenient?

Riiight. Because you can easily learn a language like Japanese by using Rosetta Stone, without wasting time and money on language schools and teachers. (Btw, I tried Rosetta Stone for other languages and found it to be pretty useless.)

And once you're magically fluent in Japanese, you can spend irrational amounts of money for DVDs with two episodes, that even Japanese otaku are less and less willing to buy. Good luck!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Toshirodragon wrote:

Yes, how horrible for someone to suggest you put effort into enjoying something you love.

How terrible for someone to suggest you educate yourselves.

If the lot of you spent half the time you spend whining on anime forums into learning Japanese I'd wager you would all be happier people.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Toshirodragon wrote:

Yes, how horrible for someone to suggest you put effort into enjoying something you love.

If the lot of you spent half the time you spend whining on anime forums into learning Japanese I'd wager you would all be happier people.

Bite me you know where. I spend a LOT of money every year on purchasing way overpriced anime and manga. I've spent over 300 in the last 2 months alone, chickenfeed for you I'm sure but I'd like to keep my house and my family fed as well.

As for learning a language and so educating myself? Not so easy, I can read French reasonably well, it uses the same letters I learned at 5 and I can follow a french film fairly well, however kanji confuses me horribly. If learning a language was so damned easy we'd never need interpretors.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Well this is odd, they send a C&D to a group that doesn't even fansub, and then announce that some, but not all, of these shows are going to be avaliable for free for a limited time in Japan only. That's just weird, are they in the process of getting these licensed or what?
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Meaning you can't criticize questionable actions that don't bring anything good to the end user?
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Unless Kadokawa is going to license these for release, they are only shooting their own feet off...

Oh well, Wagaya no Oinarisama is the only one I am watching now... That sucks...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Spoken from a person who truly knows his boots from his buttons.
And how much Japanese have you learned during your long career as an anime commentator?
<- have studied Japanese for 6 years and counting in order to read the end of Narutaru (among other more important reasons)Smile
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Unless these titles are slated for an online distribution channel like the one we've recently seen utilized (meagerly) by GDH, then it's a little bit like sticking no barcodes or prices on food and then complaining when hungry people run out off with it. A little effort does wonders for cooperation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Unless these titles are slated for an online distribution channel like the one we've recently seen utilized (meagerly) by GDH, then it's a little bit like sticking no barcodes or prices on food and then complaining when hungry people run out off with it. A little effort does wonders for cooperation.

But people who shoplift from stores are jailed whether they are hungry or not. Anime is a business and not a free lunch buffet or the Salvation Army.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Hexon.Arq wrote:

But people who shoplift from stores are jailed whether they are hungry or not. Anime is a business and not a free lunch buffet or the Salvation Army.

Yes, but anime is sadly now slated with any other media that can be digitized like movies, music, books. It's information, and it can easily be spread because it's turned into 1's and 0's. Anime doesn't have an RIAA/MPAA backing it financially, and even they can't stop most of the people.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Protectionism isn't the answer as well. And your analogy doesn't work. Fansubs are copyright infrigement, not theft.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:

Spoken from a person who truly knows his boots from his buttons.
And how much Japanese have you learned during your long career as an anime commentator?
<- have studied Japanese for 6 years and counting in order to read the end of Narutaru (among other more important reasons)Smile

I took 3 years in college and try to avoid getting rusty by doing a little studying now and then.

My point was that it's kind of repellent to get all uppity and act like it's completely impossible to learn another language or educate yourself. As though everything involved with your hobby has to be completely effortless. That concept is kind of baffling to me; people should want to educate themselves. Intellectual curiosity and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7