• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bodacious Space Pirates (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Excellent first episode. Probably wouldn't have watched it based on the character design and title, but looks can be deceiving. Slow pace, but with a sharp hook at the end. While I can tell we will be in for some silliness and moe; I do like how more serious sci-fi prospects look. It's been a while since we have gone this route, and I hope for another spiritual succession to Outlaw Star, but of course updated for a new generation of fans.

While subtle, a few glimmers of good writing and show don't tell are demonstrated. I forgive the opening exposition with the few times where all they do is show an expressive face to convey a multitude of meaning. From the first episode, this show is terribly promising but could easily falter with such a slow and ambiguous start. I for welcome the change of pace. No need to throw us in the middle of things and slowly catch us up to speed to make sense of things.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood-chan wrote:
*Contrived, over-the-top bull#%^* reaction*

Blood-chan, I noticed that even though you quoted and bolded the part where I stated that the pacing was superb, you still ignored it, and committed the logical fallacies of, not only cherry picking, but contending with a straw man.

I, actually, suggested that if one chose to, they could argue that the show's pacing was a BIT rigorous; there was no cliffhanger shrouded in mystery in the first episode, no questions regarding Marika's future as it relates to her father's past, no mysteries concerning the pirates, and none concerning Marika's mother.

I never said that they revealed the main characters' names too quickly, like your exaggeration asserts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. You said you found the pacing superb, if not a bit too fast. Let me remind you of what you wrote (there is no cherry-picking involved as I'm quoting your entire post):

504NOSON2 wrote:
Well, I've only seen episode 1. So, forgive me if I'm somewhat nescient to any recent revelations or changes. However, I think the pacing was superb, if not a bit too fast.

The first episode revealed that Marika was the daughter of some late, famous and revered space pirate captain, and that she was required to assume his position. All of that, including her mother being a pirate, as well, was thrown at you in the very first installment. The animation and art were crisp, and I love Marika's character design.

I'm hoping for this one to maintain its level of quality and perfect execution of an unoriginal concept until episode 13.

Your wording - leaving aside the horribly pretentious use of "nescient" when "ignorant" would have done quite nicely - does not in any way convey the sense that you were "suggesting" if one chose to, etc, etc. You flat out said you found the pacing superb, IF NOT A BIT TOO FAST. Considering that I - and others - have found the pace to be not unlike molasses running uphill in winter, I found that perspective ... odd.

I have no idea what you mean by my "exaggeration" asserting that they revealed the main characters' names too quickly. Jesus, talk about a straw man. My only point was how ridiculous I found the notion that anybody could have found the pacing in Bodacious Space Pirates "a bit too fast."
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I have nothing to say about this argument except I'm kinda reeling he called you Blood chan. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
Aw, 504NOSON2 is a dude? I was hoping the poster was a chick because I was going to start flirting outrageously with "her."
Sebow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to watch this, but only because I want to visually confirm what can be created by someone who had the balls to name a show "Bodacious Space Pirates".
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Got into this because I thought it looked like a fun series. I was actually expecting this to go the route of fan service and am actually glad (and surprised) that it didn't.

Like many of you, I'm loving the animation quality for the backgrounds and just the general detail of the world in which they live. It's little things like her browsing a magazine and then popping the model out of it that make this show enjoyable.

The plot is ok. I loved episode one other than the spoiler[total lack of surprise at her father's identity and that he was alive...] but I couldn't stand episode two. Could it have been any more boring? Yes, it's pretty. Yes, the music is nice. But cyber warfare? Really? They lost me a bit at the end of ep 2, but I'm still down for more. Hope the pacing improves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. You said you found the pacing superb, if not a bit too fast.

Wow... um, the point:

Me, myself wrote:
there was no cliffhanger shrouded in mystery in the first episode, no questions regarding Marika's future as it relates to her father's past, no mysteries concerning the pirates, and none concerning Marika's mother.

Did you actually read the entire response post? Because that was the point; that I found the first episode to have a steady, if not rigorous, pace. (I see now that bolding will be required when addressing points with you).

Blood- wrote:
Your wording - leaving aside the horribly pretentious use of "nescient" when "ignorant" would have done quite nicely - does not in any way convey the sense that you were "suggesting" if one chose to, etc, etc. You flat out said you found the pacing superb, IF NOT A BIT TOO FAST. Considering that I - and others - have found the pace to be not unlike molasses running uphill in winter, I found that perspective ... odd.

And leaving aside your completely irrelevant and, quite frankly, embarrassing repugnance of my usage of what you deem as an uncommon word, you can see the post above, in which I quoted myself, describing exactly why I said the pacing could be considered "a bit too fast"; I intentionally use the words "if not...". That should make my sentiment, that it could be CONSIDERED, somewhat apparent. You missed that... oh, well.

Blood- wrote:
Considering that I - and others - have found the pace to be not unlike molasses running uphill in winter, I found that perspective ... odd.

Logical Fallacy Alert!!

This, folks, is what's called Argumentum ad populum.

While I didn't get that impression at all while reading the first couple of pages, noting that a significant body of people hold a particular opinion bears not a shred of merit. This isn't an expert consensus based on empirical data you're talking about. There's a difference.

Blood- wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by my "exaggeration" asserting that they revealed the main characters' names too quickly. Jesus, talk about a straw man. My only point was how ridiculous I found the notion that anybody could have found the pacing in Bodacious Space Pirates "a bit too fast."

Yeah, now you're just playing oblivious. That was obviously a comparison of your initial reaction to my comment concerning the pacing. It wasn't a direct quote from you. Rolling Eyes For the rest of this bit See Above.

Since this is redundant, pointless, and I'm quite aware of what to expect from you, I'm afraid we're done here.

Kirkdawg wrote:
except I'm kinda reeling he called you Blood chan.

The King of Harts called him that, and I found it hilarious.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Your writing is incoherent to me. You also suffer from a strain of bad writing generally exhibited by people who suffer from confidence issues related to their intelligence and/or education. Namely, five-dollar-itis; the sad delusion that substituting an obscure word for a more common one somehow makes them sound smart. As you say, we are done here - at least until you somehow find a way to make yourself intelligible to me.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sebow wrote:
I'm definitely going to watch this, but only because I want to visually confirm what can be created by someone who had the balls to name a show "Bodacious Space Pirates".

The name of the show is Mourestu Pirates. I don't know exactly when people started referring to it as "Bodacious" but I wish they'd stop, especially the ones that find "Bodacious " to be ill-fitting.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Somebody make an argumentum ad verecundiam. I just like that word. I mean... VERECUNDIAM!

I really have enjoyed the first two episodes of Best Title Ever Space Pirates. The pacing has, I believe, much to do with that. It's moving at a somewhat patient rate; as if the series wants to get a good look at itself as it passes. This is hardly the notorious lugubriousness of Kōichi Mashimo, whom I remind you all I rather like, but it feels very measured. It has, for me, found a balanced point between sluggishness and haste that makes it easy to become invested in and absorbed by. I find it to be endearingly straightforward; perhaps like an old-fashioned science fiction adventure story, which it certainly evokes in other ways.

I can't quite figure out just all of why I like this series, although I admit that it is benefiting from a sort of 'unexpectedness premium' for defeating the expectations that its title created. Nonetheless, given that I've watched the first two episodes twice with a slight grin on my face and hints of giddiness rising in me, I have no doubt that I do.

Mariko's subdued response to learning that he father had died was one of my favorite parts. It felt atypical, but very believable to me. I'm more interested in Mariko because of it. That atypicality is a bit strange, or at least conspicuous, because the series has otherwise played many things is a rather usual manner, but has played those standards very well and in a slightly subdued way that makes them palatable rather than obnoxious.

Bodacioius Space Pirates doesn't do much overtly to grab and excite audiences, but instead I see enough in it that I want to be excited by it, so I'm willing to do that for it, which I realize sounds like it could be a flaw, but I see it as as a way of making people watching it interested and invested without resorting to tacky tricks to do so.

Whatever the case, I'm enjoying it and I'm keen to see the next episodes. I just hope that it doesn't start living down to what I thought it would. I do see some possible missteps coming. I'm interested to see how the this electronic warfare plays out, but I could see it resolving in a way that makes Mariko a less appealing character. I'm also worried by the way that the opening sequence and some events within the series suggest that students from Mariko's class will become part of her pirate crew; if those characters are kept in the background or portrayed well, it could be fine, but filling a spaceship with bubbly high school girls sounds like a good way to irritate me. Chiaki concerns me too; I think that she'll be tolerable, but I want to see more more characterization for her; especially adding more emotional detail than 'bonkers for chocolate parfait'... although that was, in fairness, a pretty awesome looking parfait. I also see a possible awkward tension between trying to portray things with some attention to realistic physics while having other things operate on the 'rule of cool' principle. If the series keeps me entertained and interested, I can forgive a lot of that thoughtlessly, but if it lets me down, my eyes will turn to the inconsistencies out of boredom and maybe a little malice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Sebow wrote:

The name of the show is Mourestu Pirates. I don't know exactly when people started referring to it as "Bodacious" but I wish they'd stop, especially the ones that find "Bodacious " to be ill-fitting.

Right there in the OP sequence. Deal with it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

There I dealt with it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It's just another case of the creators using an English title that differs from the literal translation of the Japanese title.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The word "Bodacious" was never mean boobs. It's 1980's slang like "Awesome" or "Radical".

Considering this anime is a tribute to old space opera anime in the 1970's/1980's, i think the anime staff knew what the word means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 27