• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ouran High School Host Club DVD Part 01

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
No, the show parodies standard shojo plot tricks, but there is the depth Casey was complaining the title lacked. Yes, it is mass entertainment, but as a librarian you have to know a lot of the Required Reading List were books that stood the test of time, mass entertainment that contained something that kept people reading them over the years...All the well-written words in the world mean nothing if the reader can't grasp the concept. I always loved reading plays (like Shakespeare, The Lady's Not For Burning, etc), but I tried to talk a friend in Junior High into reading a play I'd just finished & she complained she didn't like plays because she couldn't understand them. So yeah, it's best to see it in the "high art" source, but if the "Illustrated Classics" breaks it down so the reader can understand it, at least the message has gotten across.

But what I'm saying is that the anime doesn't have that depth. I didn't say that because it is mass entertainment means it doesn't have depth (hence my reference to Shakespeare, who was widely loved by the "common folk" in his day). I'm saying people love it but not because it's got good technical merit.

It's true that when you read an Illustrated Classic or a modern take on Shakespeare, the overarching theme has gotten across. But there may have been deeper messages that can only be found in the original that these simplified stories lack. It's great that people who wouldn't read the original can read a version that appeals to them more, but the person watching Disney's Treasure Planet is getting a different story than someone reading the Illustrated Classic of Treasure Island, and both are seeing something different than the person who reads the original work.

Quote:
When one scratches beneath the surface of each of these characters, there is a story, a reason for why they are who they are & we are getting into the angst of teen life coupled with pressures. Americans maybe would have a harder time comprehending because so few of us ARE expected to "carry on the family business". It seems these rich boys have it easy, but they don't because they all have duties to their families. The twins, in particular, are undergoing an identity crisis because it has been "Us/not us" for them

But where is this told in the anime besides in passing? Where are we explicitly made to feel for the characters on these points?

Quote:
It was then I realized a review is just one person's opinion. A lot of critics really have little special training & many (particularly in rock music) were failures in that field (I swear at least half the critics in Cream mentioned having a band, none of which seemed to ever have made it past bar band status while too many movie critics seemed to mention having written a screenplay)

I disagree...somewhat. Yes, a review has biases like anything else. But you can't write off a review just on that. Good reviewers - any good writer - use facts or well-held truths to back up their arguments. Casey's review would have been a write-off opinion if she said, "Ouran is terrible because I don't like reverse harem anime." But she pointed out the technical merits and failings of the show, parts that are harder to argue with because either those techniques are present or they are not.

It's easy to discount a critic by labeling it as his/her opinion, but you have to agree with the facts. Whether you hold the same positive or negative view towards those facts is an entirely different matter.

Quote:
My issue was she claimed her issue was it lacked the stuff one reads shojo MANGA for, but she's not reviewing the manga.

Actually, that's not in her review. Maybe you're mistaking something I said?

Quote:
A manga IS ususally a more pure experience because it is the author putting his/her vision down on paper influenced only by the editor & maybe fanmail (though usually not) while the anime is the product of a director hired by a studio to make a popular title people will watch.

Once again, I don't get it. You're admitting the anime is lower quality because the director cared more about it being popular, something I pointed out as well in my post. Why is it not ok for Casey to point this failing out?
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
(all that s/he said, I'm too lazy to make separate quotes)

Would someone tell me how is the anime "lower quality" and "less deep" than the manga? No, really.

From a purely technical standpoint, Ouran the anime is beautiful, period. It may not be a visual orgy similar to KyoAni's or Shinkai's works, but the animation is very smooth and elaborate, the colors are vivid as they should be, the character designs are easy on the eyes (much more so than in the manga, IMO), the buildings/settings are crafted with much care, the music is very nice, the seiyuu do a wonderful job at bringing the characters at life, the writing and direction is pretty much impeccable, etc. Ouran at its worst is still as good as average mainstream shows at their best.

As for depth and intelligence - sure, the first 13 episodes are mostly just setup and fooling around, but even these episodes are wonderfully written, and even at this stage there's the very insightful and funny commentary on the genre and the fans. Sure, "funny" is up to a personal interpretation, but the insight and intelligence, the understanding of the genre and fandom is still there. I can only speak for myself, but from this aspect, Ouran was to me what Genshiken is to many other people - a commentary on me as a fan, something that I could connect with (unlike with Genshiken) because I see around myself everything that the anime points out and gently makes fun of, and even do a great deal of them. And then there's the 13th episode that transformed a silly fanservice chapter into one of the most creative and stylish flashbacks I've seen so far with appropriate commentary on the characters, and in the second half there's all the subtle (and not so subtle) character study and development done with more sensitivity than in the manga, but we're not talking about those right now.

IMO Ouran the anime is not only notlower quality and less "deep" than the manga (fact that the manga doesn't have much depth itself aside), it's better than manga in every possible way. Unless of course you're the kind of shipper who needs to see spoiler[Tamaki and Haruhi together by the end], and/or spoiler[require a definite resolution for the story.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
But, was it funny and entertaining?
Sure it was shallow and chock full of one dimensional characters, but were they really trying for something more?
I thought they hit the mark they were aiming for, and expecting anything greater or deeper from this story is asking for a slight reinterpretation of a drama/comedy that has probably been done before (I assume).

I am relatively new to anime, so I missed most of the hype of this series, and took a chance on the cheap set based on the fan hype that I had come across so far.

I thought it met and exceeded expectations (I take fan hype lightly, though I do consider it).

While this did not make me laugh out loud like Dokuro-chan or Punie-chan, it did leave me amused and onboard for a rewatch at a later time.

*Wonders how this thread will turn out?*

Well it definately will be interesting,however once again i disagree with some of this review. the review is fine but saying about Vic's role is another story.Just be glad JYB didn't get that role cause that was the rumor and it would've been hell,fire and brimstone and if it was confirmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Barciad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked Ouran. Though nothing more than fluff, it was good fluff and proud of being so. Haruhi was a surprisingly good lead and for that matter so was Tamaki. Yes everyone and everything was one-dimensional, but that is why you call it fluff. It is not meant to be studied as if it had been Van Gogh drawing it. Every now and then we all need something brainless, even the best of us.
I might also hasten to add that anyone who did enjoy Tamaki's upperclass buffoonery should try reading 'Jeeves and Wooster' by P.G. Woodhouse. They also made it into a drama series with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (you might know him as House) starring.
AJMkarate717

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of you. I found Ouran to be hillarious (and actually somewhat deep, in its own special way).

But I must point out that I did not find Vic Mignogna miscast. I think he fits the role perfectly and did a fantastic job...
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
konkonsn wrote:
(all that s/he said, I'm too lazy to make separate quotes)

Would someone tell me how is the anime "lower quality" and "less deep" than the manga? No, really.

I'd love to know the answer to this too. The first couple of episodes (at least the first seven or eight; it's been I while since I bothered with the manga) are pretty much carbon copies of their respective chapters if I'm not mistaken. Having read the first forty or so chapters and watched the whole series,I can't say that I ever thought that the manga really had any kind of one up on the anime in any respect. If anything seeing Hatori's hazy exaggerated art style cleaned up by BONES made the anime alot more enjoyable <.<
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:32 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

But what I'm saying is that the anime doesn't have that depth. I didn't say that because it is mass entertainment means it doesn't have depth (hence my reference to Shakespeare, who was widely loved by the "common folk" in his day). I'm saying people love it but not because it's got good technical merit.

It's true that when you read an Illustrated Classic or a modern take on Shakespeare, the overarching theme has gotten across. But there may have been deeper messages that can only be found in the original that these simplified stories lack. It's great that people who wouldn't read the original can read a version that appeals to them more, but the person watching Disney's Treasure Planet is getting a different story than someone reading the Illustrated Classic of Treasure Island, and both are seeing something different than the person who reads the original work.

Each work is also colored by the author adapting it which is why we see multiple translations of titles such as Dante's works. The problem with an anime is we are seeing as much, if not more, the director's vision. This anime is the director's vision of Ouran & thus not a pure take on the story as if one read the manga which is the work of a single author. of course, this is also diluted with manga licensed in the states because we are seeing a translation which means that person is reading the original Japanese, translating it into English, & then putting his/her spin on it to make the story enjoyable while retaining the original story.

konkonsn wrote:

But where is this told in the anime besides in passing? Where are we explicitly made to feel for the characters on these points?

We're also only at the half-way point.
One can't really read half a book & write a review, can one? So at this point we can't really say how fluffy or not this anime is. It has touched on Haruhi's feelings about her mother & not wanting to be a burden on her single-parent father. The twins' ep also touched on their attitude toward others, although we didn't get the full story until the next major story on the twins in the manga involving their maid. Kyoya already seems to be the one in power, though he is subservient to Tamaki.
The trace is there.

konkonsn wrote:

I disagree...somewhat. Yes, a review has biases like anything else. But you can't write off a review just on that. Good reviewers - any good writer - use facts or well-held truths to back up their arguments.

My experience during the first 48 yrs of my life is well over half, probably more like 75-90% of reviews in popular media reviewing popular media are reviews, not critiques. A critique such as one is expected to submit in a writing class DOES require what you say, but I can't say I've read too many critiques in my life--mostly reviews, often negative as though the "critic" believes because s/he is a "critic", they need to be critical. I cannot count the number of times I've seen the words "confusing" or "hard to follow" in a review of a movie I've understood completely. (PotC3 got a lot of "hard to follow" comments, particularly over the betrayals, but I had no trouble understanding who was betraying which party). I've come to believe "confusing" & "hard to follow" means the critic spent too much time in line buying popcorn or in the bathroom.

konkonsn wrote:

Casey's review would have been a write-off opinion if she said, "Ouran is terrible because I don't like reverse harem anime." But she pointed out the technical merits and failings of the show, parts that are harder to argue with because either those techniques are present or they are not.

It's easy to discount a critic by labeling it as his/her opinion, but you have to agree with the facts. Whether you hold the same positive or negative view towards those facts is an entirely different matter.

And the FACTS are I have heard mostly rave comments about this title since it aired in Japan.
FROM THE VERY FIRST MOMENTS OF THE TITLE, when the arrow KEPT FLASHING AT THE VASE, anyone should be able to see this title's tongue is FIRMLY implanted in its cheek. Comedy can speak many truths, though those truths sometimes take longer to appear, or aren't beat into the audience's head with a brick.

Quote:
Since Osamu Tezuka's Ribon no Kishi, cross-dressing girls have had a long and storied career as series heroines.

Except the interesting twist is Haruhi ISN'T really cross-dressing. I always liked loose clothes in school. My teen lived in men's t-shirts 2 sizes too big because they're comfortable. Haruhi is refreshing in her lack of fashion sense when compared to other shojo titles where fashion is a big deal. It was Tamaki who assumed she was a boy & then continuing with his mistake allows her to pay off her debt. She does dress as a girl at times.

Quote:
Yet whereas in Utena these cinematic techniques are deployed to naughty, even sinister, ends, in Ouran you can forget any deeper meaning; it's just supposed to be silly. The series bursts at the seams with sustained parodies of otaku culture, and the mood is typically that of the tongue-in-cheek titter.

Quote:
All of these parodies are pitch-perfect, postmodern playfulness.

So wouldn't that suggest the title IS successful in being the shojo parody that it is?
I personally have way more issues with Utena

Quote:
The cast, as the show itself loves to point out, are just one-dimensional types, and save for the expected fact that they all seem to fall in love with the heroine, nothing about them changes.

No, the boys are PLAYING one-dimensional characters in the Host Club. All of them are rich boys with family obligations. If they were one-dimensional, why would Kyoya take it on himself to keep Ranka updated in Haruhi's interactions with the club? If they were one-dimensional, why would they have helped Nekozawa? If they were one-dimensional, why would they have banish that gal that harassed Haruhi in the first ep? Why would Kyoya's family make amends to Hunny for his misfortune in the resort with buckets of sea critters if not for Hunny's position?

Quote:
The boys, particularly Tamaki, are furious at her for her irresponsible behavior and demand she apologize to them. This sentiment does not translate well across cultures; Westerners in general are less inclined to punish their friends for making them worry, especially ones with as much self-possession as Haruhi.

She's obviously never witnessed my teen & her friends. I've seen many friends upset when they friends make them worry needlessly thru some casual action that caused the friend to worry (most common version? "You should have called! I was worried!" at which point most of the people I've known do apologize.)

konkonsn wrote:

Quote:
My issue was she claimed her issue was it lacked the stuff one reads shojo MANGA for, but she's not reviewing the manga.

Actually, that's not in her review. Maybe you're mistaking something I said?

Quote:
Although Bisco Hatori's breakout hit does surprisingly well in its animated adaptation, it spends far too much time on slickly styled, postmodern play and not nearly enough on the human side of the story. If the guts of a great shoujo manga is about the social and psychological complexities of adolescence, then Ouran is a pretty, bishounen-laden package that, once unwrapped, proves disturbingly hollow.

The way I read this is Casey is stating the Ouran anime is hollow & lacking when compared to the social & psychological complexities discussed in great shojo titles.
However, she is reviewing an anime, not a manga.

Quote:
But so indeed the twins and Haruhi did not know each other before they met in the host club - which makes a lot more sense as well ... was this only changed in the anime or is it the same in the manga?

Vol 2 Episode 4 middle frame about 17 pgs in.
Hikaru-
Quote:
Come to think of it, guys noticed her in middle school.

Might have been a mistake on the author's part, but it suggests the twins knew Haruhi before she walked into the club. Hunny has known the twins since kindergarten
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Quote:
Parody doesn't necessarily mean profundity, and Ouran is lacking in basic story and character development.

This sums of my option of the show, except for the fact this show looks like the typical shojo show. Everyone looks sparkling, but the characters lack development.

Agree with this, agree with the review. I think the proof in the lack of depth and development is that the show does not do well in multiple viewings. I had to watch the show a second time and several episodes multiple times, and the show is really flat in the second viewing. There is no substance behind the impressive and witty little moments that can only jump out at you one time to make the show even remotely enjoyable in multiple viewings.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Vol 2 Episode 4 middle frame about 17 pgs in.
Hikaru-
Quote:
Come to think of it, guys noticed her in middle school.

Might have been a mistake on the author's part, but it suggests the twins knew Haruhi before she walked into the club. Hunny has known the twins since kindergarten

Okay, I can see why the line would make you question that. But if you look at the next line, it talks about them having sources who gave them this information (though I'd say it's more likely that Kyoya has sources and the twins just read what he found out or something like that).

It does not make sense in ANY way for the twins to have known Haruhi back in middle school. There is no reason for them to have met, since she didn't start going to the same school as them until high school.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, when I went back over it, I'm thinking it's a poor translation choice ("come to think of it" isn't a phrase one uses referring to research. "It says here"-yeah. "Come to think of it" is a memory) plus their comments about knowing her better because they were in her class that made me assume they knew her in middle school.

But going back over it has also made me realize how far the story's come. It did move slower(more fluffy?) on the characters, but also the little bits were in there. Tamaki helping the dr with the address to his daughter's school, picking up the shouta boy saying pleasing an individual woman is a whole different situation from what they were doing as hosts, but then crash-course teaching the boy a number on the piano, the comments the twins were far more withdrawn before Tamaki came along, Kaoru accusing Hikoru of likeing to touch Haruhi during the fight which becomes a full-blown plot thread later, the twins also noticing Tamaki is hiding his desire for Haruhi under his guise of "Daddy" & not wanting her in a bikini because other guys would see her.
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
OHHC is confection but I think it's a wonderful piece of confection. I think the story has plenty of depth and character development particularly as things progress. When I watch this (and I've seen it several times) I laugh out loud and feel very good after I've seen it. Any anime, movie or book that can do that for me is tops in my opinion. I think it's just a delightful show.

I do agree that Vic Mignogna (as much as I like him) was not the right choice for Tamaki. I also think Haruhi's voice is to low or to deadpan or something.

I'm looking forward to the last half.

B. Very Happy
dAngel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the review, it doesn't strike me as off base at all. The first half is mostly tongue-in-cheek humor. As a parody it's incredibly funny, then in the later half it begins to shift gears a little and explore the characters. Is it the most intellectual anime out there? No. But it's a lot of fun and does have some human warmth and depth to it. For the first volume though, this is a fairly accurate review. The characters do start off rather one dimensional (intentionally so) and had it continued with just the straight parody without ever delving into the characters, I think it would have run out of steam by 26 episodes. Fortunately it doesn't do that.

Personally, I haven't read the manga, but I felt the anime ending was satisfying. It's very funny, dramatic, and sweet. It leaves some things to your imagination as far as what the future holds, but gives you the impression that things are going to work out somehow - and leaves you with plenty of warm fuzzies.

Minor quibble about the English dub so far. The twins are a little less funny during their "brotherly love" bits. For instance Kaoru's dramatic "Hikaru!" was missing in the first ep (instead he says something like "I forgive you"). I thought that was a really funny running gag, which shows up several times throughout the series. It's so yaoi romance novely. Laughing
lovelyphantom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree on the english voice cast. The moment I started watching this was the moment I wanted to just plan drop it. The voice casting was terrible... I hated the scratchy, and dulled Brina P. I hated Tamaki's voice, and Tantum J. Michael.. horrid. Just.. urgh.. not a good way for someone to start watching the dub. I am surprised my eardrums didn't blow up (like I was hoping to) by the time I was able to finish part one.. 'shivers' Just no.

Casey the english dub deserves something far much lower than a B. I will agree with most of the stuff you said, but Funimations voice casting skills are just terrible. I would suggest you listen more carefully to the english dub next time.

I swear if someone says that the english dub of Kuroshitsuji is good and it is not I am going to be seriously ticked off.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, this discussion has pretty much been dead for almost 2 years now, so don't expect much in the way of a response. Plus, dub quality is all opinion so you can't really tell someone to listen closer to a dub simply because their score doesn't line up with yours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4