• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psyco13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I lost interest in this show fairly quickly just too much at once it's like they are trying to add everything thing possible into like 13 episodes i just can't take it lol
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I dropped this around episode 11, I couldn't take it anymore. Rather than focusing on a few key characters, they brought in characters who don't really matter (read: Yayoi, Mana, Misaki). This series has been and should be about, if anything, Haruka, Rina, and Yuki.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It's 26 now actually, probabally because they realized they couldn't write themselves out of the hole they dug with just 13. Anyhow, aside from some annoying elements and characters whose heads I'd like to cave in with a hatchet, it's been an entertaining trip so far.

It seems that with episode 13 spoiler[Toya has fallen for Yuki all over again after seeing how amazing she was in concert.] However, spoiler[his old man had some type of accident though] and we have have to wait until season 2 to find out what will happen. Mad

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Here's my rant from another forum, if anyone cares, how I find it sad that people are unwilling to take the show for what it is, and blame it for actually avoiding major harem-series pitfalls:

Ausdoerrt wrote:

I think it's really sad that this show turns away so many people, particularly because it does things differently. Never thought it'd be a bad thing. Maybe it attracts the wrong people? Most complaints I hear about it is that it does not follow the beaten path of harem game adaptations - it's as if people are unhappy it's not another School Days or another Shuffle!. Like here, where you see lack of attention on your "favourite" characters, I see good writing, because none of the characters are supposed to be overly cute, or moe, or perfect, just human, and not necessarily positive. Neither does the show give us much hindsight, we mostly follow the protagonist around, which really creates the connection with the character, and the feelings of wonder, surprise, confusion, sadness, cold do not go wasted. It's almost like the otaku culture has become so indulged in the usual setup of the harem show that the people will bash it if it does not offer it the same thing over and over, topped with a bunch of fanservice. And, one of the biggest things I LOVE about the show is the relative LACK thereof. I could care less if they give me pantyshots, or explore the females' cute sides; I'd rather see the more evil and selfish characters. In that sense, Yuki actually needs much less development, because her character is supposed to be "pure". Then again, I may be spreading my praises prematurely, but thus far W.A. did not disappoint me. Never once did I thus far feel that the show lost its "train of thought", and every episode managed to hold the suspense, and my attention, better than anything else this season, or anything I have seen in the genre.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:08 pm Reply with quote
An interesting point, audio, but I don't think anyone here has complained about those particular aspects, except the "lack of attention" thing, but the way you define seems different from how I do. Lack of attention on my favorite characters to me means they don't get enough screen time to advance their plot threads, and you say seem to imply realistic portrayal is the lack of attention being complained about. The realistic portrayal is fine by me, except when it becomes excessively annoying, like with Fuuji's wavering attitude.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
^Well, it was a bit off-topic, since it's a reply to a slightly different opinion - people were complaining it was "too slow" - but I didn't feel like editing it. But, my whole point is that Fuji's "wavering attitude" is part of makes it interesting, and realistic; it makes him, if anything, appear human, and fits the overall atmosphere well. He's a regular young, weak-willed, confused man, as opposed to the typical anime male protagonist. And the story does not let him get away with it either. What would YOU do in his position?

I do realize that the excitement from the series is akin to watching a well-done soap opera, but the mood, and the fact that it's so rare in anime format is what makes me appreciate it more. All the sidetracks the story takes are not only necessary to build the main character, but also create a unique atmosphere. And I like how the W.A. world is full of twisted, twisted people Twisted Evil

Finally, IMO, if someone is not getting the screen time, they either do not have much of a role, or will play their role later. Otherwise, the complaint is a fairly common one, akin to the "he didn't pick my favourite girl in the end" complaint that is typical to such shows. My point is that it may not be important in the end, and the original statement of "criticism for doing things a bit differently" still holds.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
But, my whole point is that Fuji's "wavering attitude" is part of makes it interesting, and realistic

"Wavering" between six girls?

Ausdoerrt wrote:

it makes him, if anything, appear human, and fits the overall atmosphere well. He's a regular young, weak-willed, confused man, as opposed to the typical anime male protagonist.

Isn't this "typical anime male protagonist" you speak of known precisely for being indecisive? No, a rarity would be if he actually chose someone and stayed with them. Or if he was with someone, and then switched to someone else, rather than leaving everything like loose threads in the air.

Now, despite the fact that all they've really done is create a nice atmosphere and give the harem members more depth than usual, I was initially drawn to this series for the same reasons you are. I liked Touya's fallibility too. I don't mind a good love triangle or even a square, as long as it seems justified-and I don't get upset if "my girl" isn't picked as long as the reasoning feels sound. But six girls is spreading it thin.

If this show had maximized its potential, it would look something like the awesome, awesome True Tears.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I did not read "wavering" the same way you did. Also, thus far in the show, Tohya had absolutely no romantic involvement with anyone except Yuki. It's pretty one-sided for the rest of the characters, and I'll predict that it'll end like that too. There's no reason for it to not to.

Tohya is not indecisive, he's weak-willed, and that's a different thing - he's in love with Yuki, but can't find the strength to fix the relationship; in addition, he lets himself be manipulated. It's not the same thing. This is precisely why I said that people are trying too hard to make the show fit the standard harem anime template.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
That's one way to see it I suppose. I don't make enough of a distinction between emotionally malleable and indecisive to agree with you, though, so I guess I'm out of things to say on the issue.

Ausdoerrt wrote:
What would YOU do in his position?

I wouldn't spoiler[make out with Yayoi,] at least. *zing*
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, spoiler[free sex is free sex. Although, Ryuuji being as he is, he probably didn't even enjoy it.] Poor thing.

And, that specific scene is the most radical example of what I mean by "weak-willed" spoiler[I mean, she's been asking for it for a while, so eventually Tohya ran out of strength of will to resist.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
So the first couple of episodes of season 2 is out now. Anyone pick it back up besides me?

Looks like spoiler[Toya and Yuki got to spend time together finally and even kissed. The jerk really needs to break it off with the manipulative manager though.

What exactly does the director mean by his comment "They know" though? Who is they and what exactly do they supposedly know? He better not have done anything to poor Yuki when he was smashed.]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer said:
Quote:
So the first couple of episodes of season 2 is out now. Anyone pick it back up besides me?

Looks like spoiler[[Toya and Yuki got to spend time together finally and even kissed. The jerk really needs to break it off with the manipulative manager though.]

spoiler[What exactly does the director mean by his comment "They know" though? Who is they and what exactly do they supposedly know? He better not have done anything to poor Yuki when he was smashed.]

I would like to know what is meant by in your second spoiler tag. Kruszer, to be honest, I believe this was the fall anime I was looking forward to the most. I was hoping CrunchyRoll or someone would pick it up and they did.

How do I feel about it? Being an otaku who really likes harem shows (depending), I am enjoying it so far. Unlike a majority of harems that have fair to strong amounts of fan service/ecchi stuff, this one is rather clean cut. Also, I like the fact that it is set up like a college drama: Singer wanting to be with the man she loves and he isn't exactly being faithful to her. I like the slow paced setting it is going at and the classical music played at the preview for the next episode.

Perhaps why I enjoy it so much is because it deals with a more mature and serious yet sad look to the harem genre.
Alas, the stereotypical harem protagonist being a perv/jerk/loser/emo/wimp/outcast is really reflecting of Touya. He is learning he has to be be there for his girl and realize how he is hurting himself and Yuki by acting the way he is.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would like to know what is meant by in your second spoiler tag. Kruszer, to be honest, I believe this was the fall anime I was looking forward to the most. I was hoping CrunchyRoll or someone would pick it up and they did.

Well, near the end of 15, you see the director looking out the window and sees spoiler[Toya get into Yayoi's car. Then he ducks out of sight and looks very concerned and says "They Know". Earlier he was drunk and talking with Yuki and I speculated maybe something happened between them after he grabbed her and it cut away.

Or is he commenting on the guy across the street? Confused ]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I understand now, Kruszer. I believe it's one of those plot twists that only very perceptive viewers have figured or guessed at. It's also one of those plot twists that hopefully will be explained later. I wish Touya was not so much of a stereotypical harem protagonist that is a loser/jerk. I like these stereotypes but also like when there are harems where the lead male steps out of the stereotype.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
This thread has been quiet for too long. Surprising given the utter train-wreck scenario that's going on right now. I would have thought there'd be lots of traffic complaining about how spoiler[Fuji's turned into a complete womanizing bastard and basically screwed or at least kissed most of the girls in the series by now.] Or maybe everyone's just had enough of it and dropped it. Laughing

I would like to request a spoiler[School Days] ending for this show. I think certain people getting murdered is the only way to fix it. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6