• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-01-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The last panel is the killer. I love Myoopi's "candy barf".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This kind of thing actually irritates, or rather peoples responses to it irritates me because it's such a double standard. I don't think many anime fans realize just how much anime out there uses sources outside of Japan and how much is changed to "animeize" (as opposed to "americanize") the content for the anime fanbase.

Heck, Gankutsuou and Howl's Moving Castle are immediate examples of this at work, where an anime was produced based on an already existing story from another medium but was significantly altered from that source. Highlander is another great example of an awful anime produced from a good domestic movie. Then you get Les Miserables and the Earthsea anime movie among others. It's no different than DBZ being made in to a US movie with obvious changes in place for the sake of that audience or film/cultural style.

Yeah, many anime fans will say "they were just reimagined for the anime audience" which is okay, but it's the same thing with the US movies. Like it or not, anime is a niche fanbase here, they obviously can't just market these movies to that fanbase and expect to earn much. Obviously when it's brought to another medium, there's going to be changes to make it more appealing to the audience that views that medium most. Just like people who find anime adaptations of other works don't have to watch those anime adaptations, neither do the anime fans who think US adaptations of anime to the big screen need to watch the movies released here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think that there isn't enough appreciation for what's being done for anime in the first place. Just imagine, the names are actually coming over here, and people will get exposure to it and then if they turn out super, they'll want more. And then they search for the titles and find the original anime versions. But I would love to see that Pokemon movie Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I don't think many anime fans realize just how much anime out there uses sources outside of Japan and how much is changed to "animeize" (as opposed to "americanize") the content for the anime fanbase.

For this reason I try to stay away from anime which adapt works from foreign sources. To be in a position where I can be accused of holding double standards is not a position I wish to be in for the sake of any argument that may arise.
Ultimately though, the broad-minded attitudes it may be reasonable for me to adopt are ones which I alas come to hold only after I've experienced any of my potentially irrational knee-jerk reactions, and although I may be fully aware that rationale suggests otherwise my honest opinion may never truly rest where it ought to. Such is the burden the fanboy must bear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I don't care if Hollywood makes more live-action version of popular Anime titles. while I don't doubt Hollywood's technical skill of VFX and production designs, I hope that they won't make poor story live action Anime movie as the same way as those video games movies.
becomedog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I would totally go see that movie. And I'd invite my friends...before it's too late Anime hyper

Love it. Keep up the good work Robin. Wink
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
vapwaazu wrote:
Not matter what "serious" role I see him in, I always have him pictured as Louis Stevens Laughing

Here, this should help you get over it. Laughing

hahahaha, somehow even though I did watch Lizzie Mcguire I can totally believe her doing something like that. But when it comes to Shia LaBeouf I can't get that image of him as Louis Stevens out of my head no matter what he does Anime hyper Maybe it'll change in a few years but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
O _ O Even Myoopi knows that the movie is going to be bad. Seriously Kevin is right. I went to the movies the other day and saw the Dragon Ball (Evolution) trailer and two kids said, "you killed it damnit!" - 3 - But if ever a Pokemon live action movie make pikachu look like....well pikachu? Cute and squishy not all scary O _ o
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stopher87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
That is the exact same thing that happened when me and my brother first heard of the Dragonball movie.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was a great comic. And its actually fairly close to how an average anime fan would react to seeing a favorite series get put through the wringer like that. I approve of this comic!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is just how I responded when I saw the Dragonball movie trailer!!

It's just like that! Just like the Dragonball movie trailer!! It's just like how I responded when I saw that!!

Ha ha this is like the Dragonball movie!!!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
I don't think many anime fans realize just how much anime out there uses sources outside of Japan and how much is changed to "animeize" (as opposed to "americanize") the content for the anime fanbase.

For this reason I try to stay away from anime which adapt works from foreign sources. To be in a position where I can be accused of holding double standards is not a position I wish to be in for the sake of any argument that may arise.
Ultimately though, the broad-minded attitudes it may be reasonable for me to adopt are ones which I alas come to hold only after I've experienced any of my potentially irrational knee-jerk reactions, and although I may be fully aware that rationale suggests otherwise my honest opinion may never truly rest where it ought to. Such is the burden the fanboy must bear.

It's to be expected, as it's all about perception. If you're an anime fan and you watch that more than anything, you already are attached to the style. So obviously you're going to be more forgiving for something that is "butchered" and adopted to that style because it's a style that you appreciate. Of course, when the road goes the other direction and something that is of the style that you most love is being changed to adapt to a style you don't enjoy as much, then obviously the response will be the opposite.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I actually like Shia Labeouf as an actor though... (In both serious and comical) I'd support him in such a role if he weren't too old. Anime hyper Someone younger is needed.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I haven't seen any of the other Malcolm in the Middle kids lately, I noticed.

Haha, where did that come from? Shia Labeouf wasn't in Malcolm in the Middle if thats what you meant by "any of the other".

I imagine he's referring to the kid who played Reese. He bears a striking resemblance to him. I mistook Shia Labeouf for him as well the first time I saw him. It's definitely not him though. You can tell because because Malcolm in the Middle is actually half decent.

Um, what? They don't look alike at all... the guy who played Reese has a skinny neck. But in all seriousness, no, just no.

I facepalmed when I read the "...before it's too late" part. Picard would have been proud!

Wow. I had absolutely no idea. Now I really feel like an asshole. My fault for not fact checking.

Just checked IMDB, you're all right. They just looked so similar, I just figured they were the same person. I'm really an idiot.

Apparently the real Reese hasn't done a thing lately either. Unless you count producing Blonde Ambition. Poor bastard.
Satiety

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, seriously... that was hilarious. Smile I kind of see your point on how movies are lacking ideas these days. It's like comparing original Japanese Horror movies that have been remade into English version of the Horror movies (Major changes of storyline, change of facts, and such).

And to Myoopi... there there... It's ok *pats head* Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6