• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf, Viki License The Rose of Versailles Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Words cannot describe how much I love Rightsuff. If you'll excuse me I belive I must drive down to their HQ & proceed to hug every single one of their employees!

Thank your Nozomi/Righstuff for continuing to be COMPLETELY AWESOME!!!! Anime exclamation
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Between this and Anohana, everything I've ever torrented under the "it'll never come out here" excuse is now coming out here. And like Anohana, I'll have to pre-order the day Right Stuf posts the actual product page.

Also: Yaaaaaaayyyyyyy…
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Haha that's what I get for posting this via my phone with crazy autocheck
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
OMG I didn't even put this on my wish list because I never thought it would happen in a million years.

I am crying tears of joy right now. Take all my money!
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Between this and Anohana, everything I've ever torrented under the "it'll never come out here" excuse is now coming out here.

Let's see how this works. Ahem.
"Yokohama Shopping Trip Log will never come out here."
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is great news. Rose of Versailles is considered a shojo classic, and I'm always curious to check out the legends of anime. Combined with DiscoTek's announcements/releases, it's been a good year so far for classic/old-school anime.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This is the shoujo holy grail, impressive get Nozomi/tRSI. (the (I don't want to say "shounen") "guy" holy grail is still "Legend of Galactic Heroes", its the one show that all the SciFi nerds hold with the same reverence and have (until now) had the same level of pessimism regarding ever seeing a US release)
brand wrote:
Is the show over-hyped? I don't think so but really that is opinion you would have try it yourself to see if you feel that way. It is if anything a hugely important work that influenced a number of titles to this day.

This actually raises an interesting point. There was an article regarding the reception received by "John Carter", the Disney movie based on the OLD books. The director loved those books and wanted to see that movie adapted as faithfully as possible. But since the books had never seen a movie version before and SO MANY movies since their original publication had borrowed heavily from it (because it was such a pivotal literary work to that fandom) many people thought it was incredibly cliched and derivative, even though the movies it was said to have "stolen" from in fact had borrowed heavily from it.

I'm just curious if Rose will see a similar reaction. Many fans will no doubt love it and some are probably already familiar with it. But I'm curious if people who go in "cold" will be unimpressed with the "pioneering" work, now that they've seen the refinements.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This is such a brilliant announcement. Thank you Nozomi & Viki ...

(... though just when my bank account will have recuperated from Utena, you're going to force me to damage it again. ...)

SpacemanHardy wrote:
... Is it at all possible for Nozomi to include one or some of these other language tracks on their release? In particular, the French dub, as it would go along well with the French setting the anime takes place in.

And that is a brilliant idea.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
oh....oh my god D: *pinches self*

really? this is for real?

I'm so happy

thank you rightstuf and Viki.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen this series so I'm really looking forward to this!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Looks like Zac and Justin are going to have something to talk about on the next ANNcast.

You would think they would, but when the Persona 4 dub fiasco happened, they did not even mention it.

While I never have watched the Rose of Versailles, I am happy for its fans. I will also watch it and I really hope I come to appreciate it as much as its established fans.

Congrats. Way to go Rightstuf/Nozomi!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
As for the series being overhyped, well it's one of my absolute favorites so I of course don't think so, however I warn first timers, the first half is melodramatic and soap operaish.

It's really the 2nd half where I think Rose of Versailles greatness shines through. This is the part directed by Osamu Dezaki.

However I think only after seeing the 2nd half do you understand the first half. The first half is necessary to show why events in the 2nd half transpire.

To me it does an incredible job of showing why the French Revolution took place and it does a good job of highlighting both the poor and the rich. Heck you know it must be good because Riyoko Ikeda was honored in France for it.

For me as far as fiction on this time period goes its up there with A Tale of Two Cities. That's how epic it is to me. So yes I think it deserves all the praise it gets. But you do have to be patient with it at first.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Hmm. I've heard of this anime quite often, but not much about it actually. Is it good, or just over-hyped? It looks super old, and somehow that makes me fear it doesn't have a happy ending.

It's pretty good but it's no Masterpiece (I rated it Very Good). The storytelling is great for a seventies Shoujo show, but people have hyped it up just a little (as in, a huge freaking amount). I personally am really happy it was licensed, not for the show itself but for the fact that companies are listening to fans. Rose of Versailles has been on many fans' wish lists since forever, and it remaining unlicensed has been a sore point for decades. Now, some clever and rational person decided that they would earn extra special brownie points with fans by licensing it.

I can't wait for one of the men involved to turn up to a convention and proclaim that he was involved in making this deal happen. He'd probably be swamped with appreciative fans and spend the rest of the convention in his hotel room (if you know what I mean . . . heh).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
OMG!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This is TOTALLY unexpected. This is GREAT NEWS!! Definitely have to recommend this.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Immense joy... overflowing love... OH MY GOODNESS.

Many thanks to the people at Nozomi, for your continual contributions of high importance to the American shoujo anime niche. You are a godsend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11