• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gimme Cl'mores

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
For those not familiar with all the names, those are the bad guys who have these fleshy phalluses on their foreheads.

Rather fleshy than non-fleshy, I'll say.
Public holidays

Uhm...given the rest of this quote, I misread public for something else xD

Ikkitousen is amazingly bad. I mean, I KNEW what I was getting into, but I usually have a high tolerance for such things but I don't know. Ikkitousen just didn't work for me or something.

I feel the same about Dragon Ball Z. I don't hate it - not really, but I do prefer the movies. Its more like, the mythology is pretty good - the execution somewhat flawed. That being said, I have been collecting and watching through Dragon Ball Z (then on to GT) - partly my interest has also been (re)fueled by the recent (and much improved) Dragon Ball Kai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Aren't some of you sort of showing a double standard here? Oh sure, women (FICTIONAL women, I might add, we're not talking about real people here) getting clothing ripped off is apparently sexist, but a guy has his shirt rip off during a power-up (which is arguable even less logical) or another method, and no one complains. That's not even exclusive to anime, how many shirts do you think Samurai Jack had to pay for before the series ended?

Show me where I said anything pertaining to men removing their clothing. Don't put words into my mouth, please.

(facepalm)

Thanks for proving my point, it's because you didn't mention it that especially made it a double standard. You said that apparently Ikki Tousen's actions make the Japanese culture appear it's saying women are inferior to men, despite plenty of series where men have clothing ripped off. Surely you realize what's wrong about wagging your finger at one gender being exposed in a certain way, and not wagging your finger at the other gender being exposed in a certain way?
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Aw, maybe it's just me, but I ADORE Karin. I could watch it over and over. It's just so cute. The characters aren't "ugly" at all - I'm not sure why the reviewer thinks that!

The character designs are what first drew me to the show, I don't think they're "ugly" at all--the only one I didn't like was the main guy, whose design looked rather uninspired, but that seems to be typical of Shonen Romance male leads. One thing I really liked about the show was it was very fanservicey without being overly dirty or perverted, which I think helped maintain the show's cuteness.
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
When I noticed that this forum had 5 pages of posts in it I was like "?".
Is IT really that... debateable? Personally, I enjoy a couple of fan service shows. Maburaho is one of my all-time favorite anime series. Not only that, but the only reason why I watch Agent Aika in the first place is for the panty shots. I think it's so interesting how they manage to put a panty shot every two seconds in one way or another... While still having some sort of plot. (Reminds me of that distraction news show in HBO's "Crashbox".)
Now I am really interested in IT...

(And before anyone throws something at me I need to point out that I am a gay male.)

Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's so interesting how they manage to put a panty shot every two seconds in one way or another...

That's what cracked me up about Najica Blitz Tactics, too...waiting to see what new ways they'd come up with to include a gratuitous panty shot. My fav was when spoiler[a chick lands upside in the cockpit of a jet that Lila (I think) was piloting...do I need to add that the girl's exposed panties were placed mere inches from Lila's face? Now THAT'S writin', folks!]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
Aw, maybe it's just me, but I ADORE Karin. I could watch it over and over. It's just so cute. The characters aren't "ugly" at all - I'm not sure why the reviewer thinks that!

The character designs are what first drew me to the show, I don't think they're "ugly" at all--the only one I didn't like was the main guy, whose design looked rather uninspired, but that seems to be typical of Shonen Romance male leads. One thing I really liked about the show was it was very fanservicey without being overly dirty or perverted, which I think helped maintain the show's cuteness.

I agree with you. Although there was some fanservice, it wasn't overly perverted or creepy in anyway. Usui Kenta had a original character design and is character wasn't the typical sterotype one sees in some romance/comedy series.

Truthfully, I think this series is shelf worthly because its not the same formula used in most romance/comedy series. But I'll admit, the manga is better in some instances, but the anime is also great.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Aren't some of you sort of showing a double standard here? Oh sure, women (FICTIONAL women, I might add, we're not talking about real people here) getting clothing ripped off is apparently sexist, but a guy has his shirt rip off during a power-up (which is arguable even less logical) or another method, and no one complains. That's not even exclusive to anime, how many shirts do you think Samurai Jack had to pay for before the series ended?

Show me where I said anything pertaining to men removing their clothing. Don't put words into my mouth, please.

(facepalm)

Thanks for proving my point, it's because you didn't mention it that especially made it a double standard. You said that apparently Ikki Tousen's actions make the Japanese culture appear it's saying women are inferior to men, despite plenty of series where men have clothing ripped off. Surely you realize what's wrong about wagging your finger at one gender being exposed in a certain way, and not wagging your finger at the other gender being exposed in a certain way?

The reason why there is a difference, in some cases, between a bare-torso-ed male homo sapien and a bare torso-ed female homo sapien, is that generally, when a woman has their clothing be ripped off, it is intended to be fanservice, particularly as such women generally do not suddenly become more muscular, but merely less clothed, where as with male power-ups, it is often (though not always) a Hulk-type thing, where their shirt is ripped because they have become larger in size in a way that is recognizably related to incresed physical strength (women getting bigger breasts is nothing to do with getting physically stronger so that's not analagous), I am not excusing instances when there is tons of male-objectifying fanservice in a show/comic, such as in many shojo and yaoi manga, but there is that difference, in addition to which, the perception of male nudity is a lot less sexualised in the first place, as men can go topless in a wide range of public places while women are accused of indecency even when breastfeeding babies, an act which is not sexual, and breasts in general are viewed as sexual body parts in a way that the male chest and torso are not.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
I'm also a feminist and I love silly fan-service shows.

That's right! I forgot! We're living in the age where feminism means supporting voting rights and equal wage, but also thinking it's totally cool to have shows where women are turned into nothing but sex objects for fanboys to ogle! Because it's funny!

You've never heard of sex-positive feminism, I take it. Read much Dworkin ?
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Ikki Tousen:
A main story theme is free will vs. predetermined fate.
This features strong female characters.
The manga is way better than the anime.
Fan-service can be non-sexual.
Example of non-sexual fanservice: The anime also caters to fans of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Regarding Battle club
The art is as good as Ikki Tousen/Battle Vixens but...
This is less appealing to me 'cause it doesn't have the Three Kingdoms fanservice

Regarding Claymore
The chicks aren't hot.(just my opinion)
Saber from Fate/Stay Night is the hotness amongst female knight characters.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I think it's so interesting how they manage to put a panty shot every two seconds in one way or another...

That's what cracked me up about Najica Blitz Tactics, too...waiting to see what new ways they'd come up with to include a gratuitous panty shot. My favorite was when spoiler[a chick lands upside in the cockpit of a jet that Lila (I think) was piloting...do I need to add that the girl's exposed panties were placed mere inches from Lila's face? Now THAT'S writin', folks!]

Oh God, Najica Blitz Tactics. My boyfriend bought the thinpack that came with the underwear, and we watched the first episode together. Halfway through the first episode, I was starting to feel grossed out, and by the end of it, I told him that if I saw another pair of animated underpants, I was going to ralph. That show is a prime example of too much of a good thing.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:10 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

(facepalm)

What shows, exactly, does this nakedness from power up occur in? Presumably Dragonball, but I haven't watched those, so I have no basis for such complaints. Nor have I seen Samurai Jack.

Also, the cause of nakedness is reversed in that situation. Whereas the men lose their clothes because it is a symbol of how macho they are, the women lose their clothes because they are being defeated. The destruction of clothing has opposite meanings, and thus does not draw similar complaints.

Shit. You know what, I wasn't even trying to get into this argument, I was just pissed that somebody tried to go: "Hey, we're not allowed to judge the panty shots as bad because Japan has a different culture." It's not a [expletive] get out of jail free card. Hell, I enjoyed Koihime Musou, so it's not like I'm somehow above fanservice, but I don't try to excuse it through the exotic culture of a strange and mysterious land. I excuse it because it's fun. Ikki Tousen wasn't fun for me. It was ugly, just in the visual sense even, before venturing into the implied gender inequities that the violence and wardrobe distruction represent.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Quote:

That's what cracked me up about Najica Blitz Tactics, too...waiting to see what new ways they'd come up with to include a gratuitous panty shot. My favorite was when spoiler[a chick lands upside in the cockpit of a jet that Lila (I think) was piloting...do I need to add that the girl's exposed panties were placed mere inches from Lila's face? Now THAT'S writin', folks!]

Oh God, Najica Blitz Tactics. My boyfriend bought the thinpack that came with the underwear, and we watched the first episode together. Halfway through the first episode, I was starting to feel grossed out, and by the end of it, I told him that if I saw another pair of animated underpants, I was going to ralph. That show is a prime example of too much of a good thing.

Then you wouldn't want to see the Funimation boxset of Shuffle, which includes Sia's panties... As uncomfortable as this sounds, I really do wonder what male otaku do with them. But you know, something tells me I really don't want to know.

I've thought of watching Najica Blitz Tactics ( fanserivce with adult women is the only fanservice I will ever watch.) But there are several other shows I want to watch first before I watch that.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Regarding Ikki Tousen:
A main story theme is free will vs. predetermined fate.
This features strong female characters.
The manga is way better than the anime.
Fan-service can be non-sexual.
Example of non-sexual fanservice: The anime also caters to fans of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Physically, yes, but those females were plain dumb. In fact, that whole cast was irritatingly stupid. Most of what Boobie-Bombs did made no sense, hell, none of it made any sense.
And Dorcas is right, everything about the visuals is just butt-ugly. I like fanservice romps myself, but IT failed on all levels including the pantsu.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while I'm no above fanservice, sometimes even enjoying it (or at least not being annoyed by it), Ikki Tousen was not enjoyable for me. Go figure.

Wow, so now I need to add Shuffle to my list of Anime that, along with Najica Blitz Tactics, I need to get for the weird collector value of having an Anime box set that comes with underpants.

xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5