• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Closet Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You'll have noticed it doesn't say "from her parent's apartment"? What "tween" has her own apartment? What "tween" can afford her own place to live in on her own without some sort of trust fund to operate out of?

You must be new to anime for this to be a problem. Pretty much every anime featuring middle school students in the past 30 years has at least one who lives alone in a spacious apartment. Here's a couple of examples: Makoto Kino from Sailor Moon and Hayate Yagami of Lyrical Nanoha. Oh, and the entire cast of Madoka Magica... except Madoka of course....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
You'll have noticed it doesn't say "from her parent's apartment"? What "tween" has her own apartment? What "tween" can afford her own place to live in on her own without some sort of trust fund to operate out of?

You must be new to anime for this to be a problem. Pretty much every anime featuring middle school students in the past 30 years has at least one who lives alone in a spacious apartment. Here's a couple of examples: Makoto Kino from Sailor Moon and Hayate Yagami of Lyrical Nanoha. Oh, and the entire cast of Madoka Magica... except Madoka of course....
So you are saying that because it is a common anime trope, it actually happens that a "tween" (I presume you do know what that is, yeah?) can live on his or her own with no guardianship what so ever, basically feral orphans? This a social norm, is that correct? I'll also state that just because it is a common trope used for "30 years", I've never accepted it as endearing. It made me uneasy when watching Panda-Go-Panda, and it still irks me today.
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

So you are saying that because it is a common anime trope, it actually happens that a "tween" (I presume you do know what that is, yeah?) can live on his or her own with no guardianship what so ever, basically feral orphans? This a social norm, is that correct? I'll also state that just because it is a common trope used for "30 years", I've never accepted it as endearing. It made me uneasy when watching Panda-Go-Panda, and it still irks me today.

Its just such a minor, common thing to get "irked" over that it seems like you're grasping at straws. Does every single minor detail not being explained make the show less enjoyable? If so, you probably have a problem.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

As for the Fafner movie.....I love my mechs and explosions. I however did not get into the series. I only gave it an average rating myself on MAL. I suppose part of the problem was I had been soured by watching Gundam Seed BEFORE Fafner. I know they have 0 to do with each other really but the same character animation coupled with both shows involving mechs more then likely had me go into Fafner with a sour note. It's been long enough I should probably re-watch Fafner and give it a real chance.

The SEED-like character designs initially turned me off to FAFNER, but I ended up liking the show because it kinda reminded me of BLUE GENDER, though FAFNER was more of a conventional mecha show. I think the NEET/hikkikomori "vogue" in anime is similar to the slacker/stoner "vogue" in American shows/movies.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
誤称 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Its just such a minor, common thing to get "irked" over that it seems like you're grasping at straws. Does every single minor detail not being explained make the show less enjoyable? If so, you probably have a problem.
If you feel that way about it perhaps it's not me who has the problem. Your atitude also tells me your not as old as me and certainly never been a parent. Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
What "tween" can afford her own place to live in on her own without some sort of trust fund to operate out of?

she is living in a room on the third floor of Min's ramen shop and, like Mikeski said, sponging off of Min

Apparently this post got overlooked.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
getchman wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
What "tween" can afford her own place to live in on her own without some sort of trust fund to operate out of?

she is living in a room on the third floor of Min's ramen shop and, like Mikeski said, sponging off of Min

No it wasn't, but labeled irrelevant, if she isn't a loli, but only looks and acts like one. Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, even in Western cartoons, parents or guardians are often absent or nonexistant. Even when they're portrayed in the show, they often not around whenever the kid protagonists go on wild adventures. Of course, it's expected that we will suspend disbelief, since most parents would never allow real kids to do what cartoon kids do. I don't think anyone would argue that it should be a real-life societal norm but most people seem to accept such things in anime and cartoons because it's not real.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Even if her age is unknown, Alice is most likely not supposed to be an adult (I'd expect her to be younger than or same age as her love interest). Apparently she also ran away from home. But dunno, given that she's a computer prodigy who never went to school, lives only on dr pepper, doesn't sleep more than one hour every night and can't take a bath on her own (?), etc., being a runaway teenage girl living in a room in a friend's house seems like the least unrealistic thing about her character.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Well, to be fair, even in Western cartoons, parents or guardians are often absent or nonexistant. Even when they're portrayed in the show, they often not around whenever the kid protagonists go on wild adventures. Of course, it's expected that we will suspend disbelief, since most parents would never allow real kids to do what cartoon kids do. I don't think anyone would argue that it should be a real-life societal norm but most people seem to accept such things in anime and cartoons because it's not real.
Point taken, but in all the Western animations with such a situation, it is usually implied that a parent is involved and contactable, if even vaguely. HNP seems to be implying she's not a kid, but only acts like one. Which I can accept as I have one of those living in my house. But I can't help but chuckle at so many trying to convince me she is actually an orphan "tween" living on her own. However if that is the case, HNP could be in the skip with the rest of such ilk no matter how compelling the story.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Heaven's Note Pad will have to be exceptionally good to get me to ignore the I-know-I-look-and-act-like-I'm-13-but-I'm-really-21 bollox. Also for the record one can not be a NEET if one is self-employed running one's own small business. Just saying. Wink

No, Alice is supposed to be 12 or 13 years old according to what I read about it.
Mohawk52 wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Point taken, but in all the Western animations with such a situation, it is usually implied that a parent is involved and contactable, if even vaguely. HNP seems to be implying she's not a kid, but only acts like one. Which I can accept as I have one of those living in my house. But I can't help but chuckle at so many trying to convince me she is actually an orphan "tween" living on her own. However if that is the case, HNP could be in the skip with the rest of such ilk no matter how compelling the story.

Yep, like in Scooby Doo, where you have a group of high school kids that travel around the world in a VW Microbus and their parents... Wait... Their parents aren't there at all, are they? Hmmm....

maaya wrote:
Even if her age is unknown, Alice is most likely not supposed to be an adult (I'd expect her to be younger than or same age as her love interest). Apparently she also ran away from home. But dunno, given that she's a computer prodigy who never went to school, lives only on dr pepper, doesn't sleep more than one hour every night and can't take a bath on her own (?), etc., being a runaway teenage girl living in a room in a friend's house seems like the least unrealistic thing about her character.

But Alice has no love interest. The main character is her assistant, that is all. If there is a love interest, it is the girl from the gardening club that works in the ramen shop.

Last edited by zensunni on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Nah, Alice is not an orphan, she just broke ties with her family. And she's not really living alone, with Min who is friend and mother replacement. Well, not sure about the rent ... but again, the whole situation is pretty unrealistic either way.

Dunno, maybe it's not in the anime, but she seems to develop romantic feelings for Narumi.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Changing the voices in the Fafner dub? NO, NO, NO! ONLY JOHNNY YONG BOSCH CAN EVER TRULY BE KAZUKI!
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
getchman wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

No it wasn't, but labeled irrelevant, if she isn't a loli, but only looks and acts like one. Wink

She's physically, chronologically, and emotionally 12 or 13-ish. Intellectually, 40-ish. Not sure which of the four are part of being "a loli" in your mind.

Sort of like the 11-year-old MIT-graduate teacher in Pani Poni Dash, except Alice doesn't have a real job and isn't in a wacky comedy show.

And yes, it's unrealistic that such a person would be living "alone" (not really, since Min and the other NEETs take care of her) with no legal guardian and not going to a (mandatory-in-Japan-until-16) public school of some sort. IIRC, one of the male NEETs hangs a lampshade on it at one point, saying something along the lines of "it's a sign of a well-developed society that people like us can get by on the support of others."
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
" the resolution of it… was not ideal. For such a tragic event like choosing to end one's life, the end “motive” ended up being so fluffy in comparison that I felt the writer did the subject matter a disservice. Granted, as readers of the light novels know (and as the last few seconds of the series imply), the story doesn't quite end there..."

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for the ending. In fact, it sounds like the description of an all-too-common, incompetently written Anime series ending: unsatisfying closure (or none at all) with a suggestion that "the story continues" - because the writers simply don't know how to finish the story.

So they don't finish the story. Problem solved. Paychecks received on time.

In the case of an Anime based on a Manga series that continues beyond the Anime's story arc, such a "story continues" ending amounts to an insincere suggestion that a second Anime season will fix the loose ends - when in fact the writers have no idea if a second season will ever air.

Sometimes this practice by authors is called "audience baiting". I don't dignify what the authors of Anime sometimes do with any kind of pre-planned agenda like "audience baiting." I think that writers who botch endings this way are just plain incompetent: they have no clue how to finish the story they started.

I'll give Heaven's Memo Pad the pass it deserves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6