• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design our Icons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendomolena

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Nicole Peterson's icons are by far the best out of this set of entries. Her icons immediately convey their meaning, and her clear, simplistic design looks the best, especially in comparison to the other entries.

I was thinking that same exact thing. They definitely are the most efficient in terms of design and are easy to understand by just looking at them.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
Some excellent designs so far!

I like some of the 'professional' designs (RoninRune), but I'm really happy to see entries with a lot of personality as well (Rivelets). I would be happy to see either style win.

The competition is rough, I'm starting to doubt my own work now. Anime smile + sweatdrop
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Really nice designs there thus far - I love how diverse people can be going from the same general idea. It's a shame that when posted for preview like this that some of them look fuzzy though (mine included) - comes from shrinking the entry to fit the maximum size allowance of the space I'd gather. At least the ANN folks have the full-res presumably-extra-shiny versions!

I like rosiethorns88's - very pretty concept, though it'd be nice to see them do all the icons instead of just a few. They wouldn't mix and match well with others.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
I think I like rosiethorns88 and RoninRune's entries best, at least from a stylistic standpoint. They've got a little flair to them, without being over the top. Frankly, they're pretty, whereas most of the other ones seem to be too utilitarian by my tastes.

My thoughts excactly. I'd be very happy to be seeing either of those on the site every day. I like Ms. Reid's for the same reasons, but I find her set to be a bit 'blocky' for my tastes.

While Ms. Peterson's icons are quite clear, I find them to be simple to a fault... quite frankly, they bore me. (the same can be said for Kurochi's set.) Misscouzle's set strikes me as being very dark... considering I do most of my checking here about 5:30 am (before work), I don't think my barely-open eyes will want to focus on them very well. I like that Ashlee threw in some more colors and that Rivelets incorporated faces, but it makes the actual icon shapes a lot less clear. (Which is really too bad...)
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
I think it's a toss-up between RoninRune and Lissa's icons. I'd be happy with either.
misscouzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
This is my entrie in Original size: http://flowee.com/finale.png

And I don't think that my set looks too Dark (as DuelLadyS said). I take the Original Colors code for the back, as they tell us to do. However I Thank you for the comment. Thanks also to Sagess! This very appreciated.
Sorry for my poor english..
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite of the entries thus far has to be the set at the top-left, Nicole Peterson's, which offers multiple designs for the icons with small specific distinctions (like the 'dub', 'sub' ones).

I hope hers is the one that wins, though there are sure to be a lot more amazing entries. I wonder how ANN will choose?

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
myochan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Okay, here are some more specific critiques of the entries that have been posted so far.

Mugimaru904 -- Nice concept, but they are kind of imbalanced, with those gigantic letters dominating the space, and the rest of the letters crammed in and too much smaller. They kinda make my eyes hurt.

Nicole Peterson-- Nicely done, sharp work, clear and concise images. However, as others have pointed out, they're too simple, and rather dry. They're not fresh or new.

RoninRune-- his are super cool and he obviously has skills, but the pics he chose for videos, interest, reviews and convention don't seem fitting. Also, the icons are maybe a little too flashy.

Misscouzie--The icons are too dark. The cat face on Misc looks like Luna from Sailor Moon, and the symbol for Interest, which I'm guessing was supposed to be a heart, unfortunately looks more like someone's butt in the air.

Tess Reid-- Mostly cute, Miscellaneous and Interests being the weaker images, the others are good. The big problem with these is the image quality.

Seiko-- The best one is Encyclopedia.

aysn-- Cute, but a bit blocky. The boxes in Contests and Misc are bottomless, which makes them look odd. I don't understand what the image on Reviews is supposed to be. The News icon is too intricate for such a small size.

Lissa-- Really cute, though I can't quite tell what the image on Conventions is supposed to be. Other than that the only problem with this set is the image quality.

Ashlee-- Cute, but for some reason every time I look at them I feel like I'm back in Elementary school. I guess it's all the bright colors.

rivelets-- Though these are lacking in technical skills, I think they're very cute and I love the concept of putting cute anime-style characters on the icons.

rosiethons88-- These are beautiful, downright spectacular. Too bad she ran out of time before she could make a whole set, we'd have the winner right there. The only problem I see with these is that the symbols don't make it very clear what you're looking at. I had to read the tag below the dot and star to know what they were for, and I can't imagine what the red one means.
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Mark Rune's easily.
misscouzie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Myochan, wich entries is yours?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
myochan wrote:
Ashlee-- Cute, but for some reason every time I look at them I feel like I'm back in Elementary school. I guess it's all the bright colors.
Anime hyper I guess they do have that feel, don't they? Perhaps because I had too much fun with creating the elements that I felt would fit the theme of the icons (pencils, books, stars and balloons, etc.) and that fun extended into the icons. Also, since they are also vectorized the artwork looks cartoonized and, in turn, childlike and silly.

It kinda fits a lot of anime (and sometimes its fans) when placed into that perspective. Anime hyper
El_Digoblo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to go with Nicole Peterson's icons. They're very clear and seem like they would be easy to skim through to find the articles you are looking for.
myochan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
@Aura Ichadora~ Yeah, they're really cute! Anime catgrin

@misscouzie~ My entry hasn't been posted yet, but any hope I had of winning is officially crushed. My entry looks utterly craptastic compared to some of the others here, especially RoninRune's and rosiethorns88's. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The one by Nicole Peterson is excellent but...the hands for reviews look a little strange. I like RoninRune's too but as much as I love glossy-glowy, it's a little too glossy-glowy to match the site. Ashlee's is cute. Rivelets, I choose you! It is a little rough looking but that's why I love it! It reminds me of fanart and anime fans in general. And most of the meanings of the icons are really clearly conveyed. In other words, I want Rivelets to win the most.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I like Nicole Peterson's for the fact that they match the look of ANN, that being said, they resemble the ones that are being replaced....

RoninRune's are the most professional looking, and I wouldn't mind looking at them everyday....

Lissa's look a little grainy, but I don't know if that happened when they posted this, or if that's just how they are.... If they weren't so grainy, I would say those match ANN pretty well and aren't too boring....

Rosiethorn's are pretty nice to look at also, unfortunately, I don't think they would look well mix and matched....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9