• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Begin One Piece with Episode 207 on May 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
At least let them take season breaks like American TV shows!

They'd probably only be on Water 7 currently if they did that.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Well, why the hell must it take so goddamn long to wrap things up? Enough is enough, Oda!

Padding: The cancer that is killing shounen anime.

Why do you think a series going on for so long is always a bad thing?

The One Piece world wouldn't be as complex and vast as it is now if it had ended at Volume 20 or earlier. There wouldn't be as many diverse and interesting characters also.
Oda even mentioned before that there's still a lot of things he plans on doing with One Piece. Which is one of the main reasons why it's going to be his only long-running manga series.

Let the man write his story for as long as he wants to.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

If Nicktoons wanted to air One Piece, it would be the original 4Kids English dub version, not this Funimation dub. 1 of the issues people had with the 4Kids version was all of the censors they made to the series like a lollipop instead of a cigarette. My guess is, it's better to show it uncensored on Adult Swim's Toonami than just basically bringing back the 4Kids version which is something that would have been impossible to show on Toonami when it was just part of the normal portion of Cartoon Network.

Um no it wouldn't. Did they dig up the saban version of DBZ no. Kai was pretty much left intact. One Piece would of been fine with Funimation's dub.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. They certainly dug up the 2004 original dub of DBGT, complete with the so-called "rap" music and all. How the 2008 dub with the original music DIDN'T wind up in their hands is a bit baffling to me, but I suppose a number of things factored into it. Oh, and there's also the edited 4Kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh which they're airing (not that there's really any other dub...). And editing One Piece for Nickelodeon, all those episodes, would indeed have cost a damn fortune, I'm sure.

Regarding OP not being over yet, I figure it's at least good that Oda's going to stick with the original ending he outlined long ago, rather than changing it around and developing it into something else as OP goes on and on and on and on...I suppose it suggests that despite its length, it's not spiraling out of control and getting weak, etc. It's still speeding along towards the same resolution, no matter how long it takes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Kutsu wrote:
That's not Oda's fault though. It's Japan's idiotic policy regarding long running shonen anime.

At least let them take season breaks like American TV shows!

Thats not how Japanese TV works. If you forfeit your timeslot, you can't get it back until whatever takes it is finished... and for a really high demand timeslot like One Piece has, it probably wouldn't be able to get its timeslot back. So best it could do is getting a less desireable timeslot down the line... and thats not really worth it just to put in less fillers.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
I wouldn't be too sure about that. They certainly dug up the 2004 original dub of DBGT, complete with the so-called "rap" music and all. How the 2008 dub with the original music DIDN'T wind up in their hands is a bit baffling to me, but I suppose a number of things factored into it. Oh, and there's also the edited 4Kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh which they're airing (not that there's really any other dub...). And editing One Piece for Nickelodeon, all those episodes, would indeed have cost a damn fortune, I'm sure.

Given how much is edited out of Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal and Dragonball Kai, I doubt One Piece would fair much better on Nickelodeon. I mean, they don't even let Kotori wear a skirt in Zexal, I can't imagine what they'd do to post-timeskip Nami who waltzes around in a bikini top all the time. About the only difference between a new Funi dub on Nick and the 4Kids one would probably be them keeping the original music.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
I think Toonami is trying to appeal to the average fans, while appeasing the hardcore fans, who have seen these episodes (and the dub) backwards and forwards and have no reason to watch on TV. While I can see where they're coming from, I would've rather them find a way to run through the first several uncut story arcs quickly (maybe two episodes a week?).

BTW, the "2008 dub" of DBGT is not a whole new dub. It's the 2004 dub of the show with the original music and English versions of the Japanese themes. That's it. No new voices were recorded for it. But I suppose I see where you're coming from. I'm sure they'd air the FUNi dub of One Piece though for consistency with the rest of the series. Like with DBZ Kai though (and Toonami with DB, DBZ, DBGT, Tenchi, YYH, Naruto, many others), a few profane lines here and there might be re-recorded. Nicktoons is probably running the Toonami version of DBGT because that's the only edited version available.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
TheGameNinja wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This show needs to be shown more than once a week for it to work. Toonami, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD expand! Plus, 1am is way too late to watch something that most haven't seen in years. Besides, the first several story arcs have never been shown on US TV, unless you count the 4Kids version, but that hardly counts.

Toonami can't just expand. They have the timeslot they've got and they have to work with it. If people want it to expand, they have to support it and tell Adult Swim they want more.

Not just [adult swim], but Cartoon Network in general. I much preferred it when Toonami came on 3-4pm (the exact time varied). Besides, anime doesn't necessarily "need" the Toonami brand to be on Cartoon Network. Shows like One Piece got good ratings in their 8pm Saturday night broadcast. I wonder how they'd be when shown in normal hours (though shows like Naruto would get even BETTER ratings), and Pokemon does well for Cartoon Network (granted it's on early Saturday mornings with the rest of CN's action programming). Thank god for Nick (the real Nick) showing Digimon Fusion.

LandStander wrote:
This is exactly what I mean. Naruto gets a restart because it is uncut, but uncut One Piece has never aired in the U.S.

I guess it's because Cartoon Network showed all of the original Naruto (except for the last 9 episodes), and they're just going to the beginning. This would still confuse the heck out of the people unfamiliar with One Piece, as well as those whose only experience of the first several story arcs being the botched 4Kids version.

Titan_XL wrote:
Like it or not, they count. Granted they should start back at 167 since that was the last episode aired on US TV (according to wiki), but that's in the middle of the Skypeia arc so I guess they figure the start of the next arc (sorta) is the next best place.

I mostly want people I know to experience the "true" One Piece. I'm tired of hearing from people "I liked One Piece until the voices changed" without knowing they were watching an incredibly botched version with little connection to the original show.

Adult Swim isn't part of Cartoon Network, they function as separate channels. Toonami will never be back on Cartoon Network, CN cancelled it. Naruto was still pulling in some of CN's best ratings when they killed Toonami, its not a matter of anime doing well on the channel its just that CN does not want it.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
Why is it airing a 1 AM?! °_°
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Landstander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
TheGameNinja wrote:
Adult Swim isn't part of Cartoon Network, they function as separate channels. Toonami will never be back on Cartoon Network, CN cancelled it. Naruto was still pulling in some of CN's best ratings when they killed Toonami, its not a matter of anime doing well on the channel its just that CN does not want it.

Of course it is part of Cartoon Network. It airs in the evening on the same physical place as Cartoon Network and we have seen them share properties (Toonami, Symbionic Titan, Thundercats, etc.).

Just because there are different people in charge of programming does not mean Cartoon Network doesn't 100% own Adult Swim.

CN can take back Toonami any time they feel it is in the interest of the company. They can add or reduce hours from Adult Swim any time they want.

A few years back there was talk of Adult Swim actually being broken off to it's own channel and running 24 hours, and even then it would still be owned by Cartoon Network.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Toonami is a 12-3 AM block
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Toonami is a 12-3 AM block

Actually, it's a 12-6 AM block. Has been since October.

And 1 AM is not a horrible timeslot for something like this. Bleach once broke ratings records (for 2009) in that timeslot!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
So I guess anime can't expand on that CN/AS channel any further than their Saturday night/Sunday morning constraints. AS won't give up their Sunday night or likely any of the weekdays, why would they when all of their other shows still bring in ratings? Guess the Toonami block is just a consolation.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Landstander wrote:
TheGameNinja wrote:

Of course it is part of Cartoon Network. It airs in the evening on the same physical place as Cartoon Network and we have seen them share properties (Toonami, Symbionic Titan, Thundercats, etc.).

Just because there are different people in charge of programming does not mean Cartoon Network doesn't 100% own Adult Swim.

CN can take back Toonami any time they feel it is in the interest of the company. They can add or reduce hours from Adult Swim any time they want.

A few years back there was talk of Adult Swim actually being broken off to it's own channel and running 24 hours, and even then it would still be owned by Cartoon Network.

CN doesn't own Adult Swim. Turner owns both of them. TNT can technically air anything from CN too, but they don't. Cartoon Network could bring back Toonami. But they won't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5