• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Offices Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Thought I let you know that Monica posted this update on her message boardlast night:

Quote:
Yes I am safe. I think we had maybe an inch of rain at best. No wind damage either. In fact, paper and card board signs on the side of the road still remain intact.

Just to clarify on Jeremy's post...I just meant that I would never make fun of Patton again. There's not really a story behind it. Smile He just tends to act on his emotions more than I do...usually...but this time it was different. Wink I didn't want Patton to read that and misinterpret it.

I've been home with my family checking in on everyone...including the folks at AWA. Unfortunately, I packed my laptop's power cords into my luggage which is currently in Atlanta with Greg. So...I can't get any work done or play my beloved Sims 2. Sad But it's all good. All of Houston ended up just dandy. There was minor wind damage if anything. I slept right through it actually. Of course, I can sleep through
anything so that's not saying much.

I just wanted to reiterate that I'm so sorry I missed AWA. I
definitely wanted to be there. I wasn't running in fear of the
storm...I simply couldn't handle the stress I was put under that day. I kind of look at it as a blessing. I've been forced to relax for the first time in almost 3 years. I've spent some quality time with my family that's been awesome.

I want to thank all of you for your support and good thoughts. I
really appreciate it.

The next few days are gonna be rough. There's is barely any gas in town and the stations that do have it have lines 3 city blocks long. The tankers that would alleviate these gas issues are stuck in traffic trying to get into the city. A small number of businesses are beginning to open but because of the mass exodus they are understaffed. There are a handfull of restaurants open but the waits are 2 + hours... Even at places like Schlotsky's. Most grocery stores don't have any food and are waiting for shipments which will most likely be traveling on the same roads as all of the people trying to get back into town. Miguel is out right now with some friends of ours trying to find a place that's open and doesn't have too long a wait. Tomorrow may be a better situation. However, we can't go to far because nobody has any gas. It's kinda like doomsday...only with less doom. Wink

I hope that all of the people that left can make it back into town safely. It's so sad that the fatalities of Rita occurred on our highways. I hope this shows people to take what the media says with a grain of salt. It's their job to make the news exciting. Sometimes they're too good at their jobs. This time their sensationalizsm killed people.

Again, thanks for all of your support and well wishes! I hope that you're all doing well! I'll keep in touch. I've got 'Rita' photos to post once I get organized. Smile

Much love!
-Monica-

After reading this, and comparing it to what she wrote a couple of days ago, it seems that Monica has some sort of vandetta against the media, and she's blaming the media for the bus explosion that happened near Dallas. She just doesn't understand how serious hurricanes are, and why it was necessary for the people to evacuate. It might not have been smooth, but it did work - as of this time there were no repoted storm-related fatalities in the hardest hit areas.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:14 am Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:
And man... what is Monica Rial ON? *eyebrow goes waaaay up*

I think what Monica wrote earlier about her ordeal at the airport reads more of frustraction on Monica's part that the airport was giving her the runaround about her flight. I don't blame her for being upset, but I do have a problem with her saying that:

Quote:
I've lost so much respect for my city and it's citizens.

If Monica Rial needs to apologize, she should apologize for disrespecting her city when all they were doing was fleeing from (at the time of the announced evacuation) a Category 5 storm that will go down as the 3rd most powerful strom on record. Fortunately, it hit land as a Cat 3, but considering what could have been if this storm continued to maintain its strength, now you know why the evacuation needed to be established.

Another thing that bothers me about her statement is this: If what Monica said is true and she did lose respect for Houston's citizens, does that mean that she also lost her respect for her fellow co-workers at ADV? If I was one of Monica’s co-workers and she said or wrote something that is both disrespectful and hurtful to both her city and its wonderful citizens, I would feel very uncomfortable working with someone like her - it gives me the impression that she's a very self-centered and arrogant person.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:19 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Another thing that bothers me about her statement is this: If what Monica said is true and she did lose respect for Houston's citizens, does that mean that she also lost her respect for her fellow co-workers at ADV? If I was one of Monica’s co-workers and she said or wrote something that is both disrespectful and hurtful to both her city and its wonderful citizens, I would feel very uncomfortable working with someone like her - it gives me the impression that she's a very self-centered and arrogant person.

I agree partly that maybe there was TOO MUCH coverage on television at least. But just because there is news coverage does not mean that you have to panic because of it. The media has no power to "sensationalize" anything. It's left to each individual brain to process the information and act or not act on it. So I don't buy Monica's "it's the media's fault she missed her plane". The traffic problem was caused not by the evacuation itself, but by people leaving areas that were NOT under mandatory evacuation. It's a free country so what were you supposed to do, declare martial law and say people could not leave the city of Houston or other areas!!?? The state of Texas was supposed to have gas tankers along the freeway BEFORE the evacuation started. They weren't there. While some of the government officials say they don't want to point fingers, and they learned from that mistake....people died because of it. Compared to what went on in New Orleans, Texas did really well at least in my mind. I can't believe that today, the mayor of New Orleans is telling people to come back again!! After parts of his city have flooded again. Our federal goverment is even more inept than the locals. Bureaucrats are useless, but I guess the only other alternative is a dictatorship and that doesn't work too well either. Witness Emperor Palpatine.

As for Monica and ADV, I've almost just had enough of that company. I'm sick of hearing the same 4 people on every ADV dub release. Their crappy handling of their manga line and the consequent banishment to limbo of a number of titles I really liked. Their rip-off shrinking NewType Magazine whose price goes up and pages go down. Their inconsistent release of anime titles and termination of others....and are there rumblings about the Anime Network channel going off? I just feel like the whole company is becoming a joke.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
biliano wrote:

I agree partly that maybe there was TOO MUCH coverage on television at least. But just because there is news coverage does not mean that you have to panic because of it. The media has no power to "sensationalize" anything. It's left to each individual brain to process the information and act or not act on it. So I don't buy Monica's "it's the media's fault she missed her plane". The traffic problem was caused not by the evacuation itself, but by people leaving areas that were NOT under mandatory evacuation. It's a free country so what were you supposed to do, declare martial law and say people could not leave the city of Houston or other areas!!?? The state of Texas was supposed to have gas tankers along the freeway BEFORE the evacuation started. They weren't there. While some of the government officials say they don't want to point fingers, and they learned from that mistake....people died because of it. Compared to what went on in New Orleans, Texas did really well at least in my mind. I can't believe that today, the mayor of New Orleans is telling people to come back again!! After parts of his city have flooded again. Our federal goverment is even more inept than the locals. Bureaucrats are useless, but I guess the only other alternative is a dictatorship and that doesn't work too well either. Witness Emperor Palpatine.

As for Monica and ADV, I've almost just had enough of that company. I'm sick of hearing the same 4 people on every ADV dub release. Their crappy handling of their manga line and the consequent banishment to limbo of a number of titles I really liked. Their rip-off shrinking NewType Magazine whose price goes up and pages go down. Their inconsistent release of anime titles and termination of others....and are there rumblings about the Anime Network channel going off? I just feel like the whole company is becoming a joke.

Someone needs to cool down. And ADV is doing well, although they do have some problems. However, they're not as bad as you think.

And did you ever think that maybe the reason you hear about them all the time is because they're the #1 company in the US and UK?

tlsmith1963 wrote:
Something I am just wondering about. It's no big deal, but...my Anime Network VOD hasn't been updated with new anime episodes for several days. Is this because my cable company gets the eps. directly from ADV, & they are closed? I don't know how the VOD thing works.

Tammy

There's another thread for that.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
It just sounds like Ms. Rial let go of her frustration in a forum (no pun intended) that probably wasn't the best. People say a lot of wrong things when angry. These things happen.

Although, this does bring up the massive and sometimes unnecessary panic that comes with bad weather. I can't tell you how many times people rush to the store to buy bread, milk, and eggs anytime the forecast calls for any amount of snow. (They may buy salt, too, but that would be smart Wink )
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
Other than power outages and tree branches and trash all over, my area is just fine. My home has no power right now, but the next block, my church (which is about 1/2 a mile from my house) and my friends' house (where I'm at right now) have power. I wish the people that left would listen to the news and stay home so we could get some gas.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

After reading this, and comparing it to what she wrote a couple of days ago, it seems that Monica has some sort of vandetta against the media, and she's blaming the media for the bus explosion that happened near Dallas.

While it's a tragedy, the only people to blame for it are the ones responsible for the maintenance of that bus. It seems the company that owns it has been in trouble before.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The bus, which exploded south of Dallas, killing 24 residents, is one of perhaps thousands of vehicles used in the evacuation under a Sept. 20 emergency order issued by Gov. Rick Perry.

That order suspended some requirements for motor carriers so that every available vehicle could operate during the emergency evacuation, said Mark Cross, spokesman for the Texas Department of Transportation.

But since Perry's white and Republican, he did the best job he could.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

But since Perry's white and Republican, he did the best job he could.

I'd be willing to bet the order relaxed restrictions on registration and inspections, but I doubt it extended to poor maintenance or condition. I personally could care less what color or party someone is affiliated with when an emergency arises. I never said Perry did the best job he could. He fumbled quite a bit. He said the gas tankers would be stationed, and they weren't. He did get the contraflow going, which is a good thing. Most of the great work I saw done (at least around here) came from Mayor White and Judge Eckels. White is a democrat, and I didn't vote for him, (He used to be married to one of my cousins, but that's a different story) but he did a damn fine job getting things done around here. Both him and Eckels will have my vote for any office they want in the future.

They interviewed the Louisiana governor, and some state rep last night. They were both taking potshots about our evacuation. The governor was gushing about how well the Katrina evac went before hand, getting 1 million out of NO before it hit. Sorry, but it didn't seem to go that well to me, with the convention center and Superdome fiasco, and the thousands of rooftop rescues. Not to mention we were moving more than 2.5 million people just out of the Houston area. Certainly, the state side of things could use improvement, and I hope they've learned from this for the next time.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
They were playing the weather channel on the Walmart TVs all day the last two days (they stopped today). All they were doing was covering Rita. It was like watching a football game. There was too much coverage. I'm sure the Texans didn't like to be conastantly reminded of it.

Now, I just want to express my gratitude and undying love for my home; the Hurricane-free Wisconsin, where the most we have to worry about is rain and crappy winter roads. God Bless the Midwest.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
It just sounds like Ms. Rial let go of her frustration in a forum (no pun intended) that probably wasn't the best. People say a lot of wrong things when angry. These things happen.

I agree with you. I read Ms. Rial's original statment as coming from a person who was stressed out to the point of melting down (maybe past it) and she even admitted to it. As for her being upset at her fellow Houstonians, well I'm not sure how she thinks they should have acted but I do know a lot of people from the Southern U.S. have a belief drilled into them that they and their fellow citizens are suppose to act a certain way (kind, courteous, "civilized" etc Rolling Eyes ). Unfortunately, that just isn't a realistic view of how humans act when the going gets tough and Monica may have had a rude awaking to that at the airport. Btw, just how old is she anyway (in general age bracket if she doesn't like her age to be passed around)? She seems rather young by her reaction but she may not be (I'm not the best judge of peoples ages on or off line Embarassed ).

Anyway, as to her rant about the media it may have mattered what media she was watching. I know that I didn't feel that CNN got that hysterical with their coverage. On the other hand, some of the people CNN interviewed stuck on the Interstates made me wonder about the local Houston media, since several mentioned they were just doing what they'd been told to do and that all of Houston was suppose to evacuate. I remember going "huh?" in my head about that because I don't remember the national news saying that North Houston was suppose to evacuate since they were thought to be far enough North (uphill) to be in better shape. So maybe the local news coverage was crazier than the national news or maybe I wasn't watching the right channel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, I do hope someone can take Monica over to New Orleans or to a place that's just had a tornado someday so she can see what a real disaster looks like. Because I think that's what she needs - to really see what it is like when things go bad and maybe she'd not be so quick to judge those who panic at things like this Sad.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
I actually agree with her and think it is a major issue that the media sensationalized almost everything these days. They often blow things out of proportion for the sake of the story, being that my brother is a police officer I know what the media reports and the full story are generally 2 different things.

Many people are well aware of how powerful hurricanes are, especially those down by the coasts. With the non-stop coverage of Katrina there should be no question in anyways mind just how destructive they can be. None the less, the media was playing up Rita big time. Reporting and assessing its effects well before any professional could truly even give more than a guess as to its effects and in the end the media ended up being dead wrong on just about all counts. If you want accurate reporting on hurricanes that doesn't make uneducated guesses and blow these things out of proportion you are far better off keeping track of these things through NOAA rather than clueless reporters and analysts from CNN or FOX who want you to stay glued to their channels.

I can understand her frustrations, and she is only human. Sitting back and judging without having been in her shoes isn't the right thing to do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, I just want to express my gratitude and undying love for my home; the Hurricane-free Wisconsin, where the most we have to worry about is rain and crappy winter roads. God Bless the Midwest.

Ah, but you can still get tornadoes, can't you? And there's nothing to do in the midwest.

Laughing AZ is where it's at. No chances of Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or anything else. (Well, except for forest fires..) And only a day's drive away from Soul Cal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Quote:

Ah, but you can still get tornadoes, can't you? And there's nothing to do in the midwest.

Laughing AZ is where it's at. No chances of Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or anything else. (Well, except for forest fires..) And only a day's drive away from Soul Cal.

What about those bloodthirsty Illegal Immigrants?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Quote:

What about those bloodthirsty Illegal Immigrants?

You get those everywhere. *shrug*

True, Wisconsin does get Tornadoes. In *our* particular neck of the woods though, we hardly get any, and if we do, they're not enough to wipe a whole city off the map. At most they may knock a tree or two over. The winters are what I hate, though. But again, we get by.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6