• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. SyFy Channel Lists No More Anime After June 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
ZeroGee wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

ZeroGee wrote:
Why am I not surprised. Even satelite tv is a "vast wasteland".Rolling Eyes
And this is why most of my entertainment and information comes from the internet nowadays.

It becomes a circular logic. As more people get their entertainment from the internet, it becomes harder for TV channels to attract audiences, so they drop poor shows left and right in desperate search for those few shows that would actually get more than a few people to stick.

When their offerings consist of cookie cutter monster/alien of the week and other networks offer reality tv drivel and cartoon network delivers nothing but fart and poop toilet humor because all that is cheaper than showing something inovative and original, then yeah, the only alternative is to seek out what you can find on the internet.
It's called competition. TV refuses to compete for viewers by showing quality and instead opts for quantity for the almighty advertising dollars.
So SYFY and other networks are killing themselves, it's not the viewers fault.

I think that the concept of fault isn't useful here and is being used for something other than explaining things. I don't think that it makes sense to indignantly bemoan a network pursuing, "almighty advertising dollars." It's like castigating somebody for breathing too much air; it's what they survive on and sustains their ultimate purpose. Channels like SyFy are pursuing broader audiences, which alienates niche audiences, who then turn to alternative sources and provided that they gain more general viewers than they lose niche ones, it's an annoying state of affairs, but not an evil one.

I think that we would do well to being mindful that we are all thinking from perspectives without any personal risk to our livelihood or careers.

It's a matter of business. Not evil.
They want to maximize profit and reduce cost. When the cost of production increases, they maximize profit by minimizing production costs. This is why you see more reality shows on almost all networks because they cost little to produce. And why all SYFY's "original" movies consist of reused plots. It's cheaper for them. They get ad revenue, but in the long run lose viewers because their shit becomes incredibley boring as hell.
It's a vicious circle.
As far as anime goes, it costs money not only to produce and license, it costs even more to translate and pay voice actors. So if it doesnt get a lot of viewers, it doesnt make them money.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
greensoulreaper wrote:
Anime was never going to last on American television, or any other channel broadcasts outside of Japan. Even if it did, the little shows they had were either not that good, reruns, or only attracted a miniscule audience due to limited genres.

We're better off with internet streams and DVD/BD versions. Those are better quality and more "up to date" than what we see on cable t.v. anyways.

regarding anime shown outside of Japan, while relatively small, it's actually much more than the US. For example Italy gets the usual One Piece, Naruto, Beyblade, and older stuff like Golden Boy, but they also get most of the Pretty Cure franchise which is huge there (e.g. Pretty Cure 5 Gogo, dubbed songs and all) etc. France of course is a big market. Germany as well (which would also cover Austria and Switzerland). And when they get Kara no Kyoukai and King of Thorn already dubbed, that's got to say something about the market. Heck, even Russian TV showed Ikkitousen.
Starks

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
How is this news? This has been known for over a month.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess to be fair, Sci-Fy has come and gone on anime. Even before the Ani-Whateverday block, they aired late night anime all throughout the 90s. My first anime was on Sci-Fi(Armitage 3: Polymatrix). Sci-Fi was airing anime long before Adult Swim was born. Even if Ani-Whateverday is dead, maybe anime will come back, like how it's waxed and waned in the past before Ani-Whateverday ever started. So maybe there's hope.

And Starks, don't be a hater, we can't all be as omniscient as you. If you knew about this over a month ago, you should've reported it to ANN over a month ago. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually I've known that anime was most likely leaving SyFy for about two months, as well. SyFy has a backdoor trick on its schedule bot and the Anime went missing on the schedule at that point. The problem about reporting it was simple - there was no way to know if it was just going on break or not until this point. Personally, I've known it was leaving since Monday of this week but I couldn't pass that news on because my source was someone on a mailing list who has a friend who works at SyFy and got this persons friends information what happened. So while I have a good idea of what most likely is going on here, I still can't pass it on. It's hearsay, plain and simple, and this is a news site. While many news outlets don't mind posting rumors and hearsay these days, I personally believe in sticking to fact based news that has sources that are willing to be quoted. ANN is here to find out the actual facts, if they can, and give us the "official" reasons for why the block is leaving, if any will ever be announced.

So yes, this is news and it's news that needs to be reported on, and maybe even expanded on, my ANN. Just because some of us are more savy at backdoor TV schedules doesn't make it not newsworthy to the other 99% of people reading this site Neutral .
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see a long time Anime programming disappearing, but it doesn't have to be one specialty channel like SyFy to host anime. I prefer anime shown on other specialty channels outside of geek demographic. We can't count on Cartoon Network to broadcast Anime forever.

I think anime distributors in the US have to figure out how to introduce various anime genres to broader audience. Why not Lifetime or Food Network? There are some anime about cooking. There are plenty of Slice-of-life anime. It doesn't have to be giant robot space ship sci-fi show.
greensoulreaper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
greensoulreaper wrote:
Anime was never going to last on American television, or any other channel broadcasts outside of Japan. Even if it did, the little shows they had were either not that good, reruns, or only attracted a miniscule audience due to limited genres.

We're better off with internet streams and DVD/BD versions. Those are better quality and more "up to date" than what we see on cable t.v. anyways.

regarding anime shown outside of Japan, while relatively small, it's actually much more than the US. For example Italy gets the usual One Piece, Naruto, Beyblade, and older stuff like Golden Boy, but they also get most of the Pretty Cure franchise which is huge there (e.g. Pretty Cure 5 Gogo, dubbed songs and all) etc. France of course is a big market. Germany as well (which would also cover Austria and Switzerland). And when they get Kara no Kyoukai and King of Thorn already dubbed, that's got to say something about the market. Heck, even Russian TV showed Ikkitousen.

Actually I did mention other countries outside of Japan, ( when I mentioned "other channel broadcasts outside of Japan") but I guess I wasn't clear enough. But wait....Europe has better anime than the U.S.? I should move. Anime hyper
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

I think anime distributors in the US have to figure out how to introduce various anime genres to broader audience. Why not Lifetime

Yeah, there's always anime out there where girls are raped, abused, and incest. Very Happy
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
reanimator wrote:

I think anime distributors in the US have to figure out how to introduce various anime genres to broader audience. Why not Lifetime

Yeah, there's always anime out there where girls are raped, abused, and incest. Very Happy

Aki-Sora would totally fit on Lifetime or We.... Or maybe Logos. Very Happy

They could double bill it on Logos with Skins.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
reanimator wrote:

School Days Twisted Evil
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Nayu wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
reanimator wrote:

School Days Twisted Evil

Next time on a Very Special Episode of School Days... I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry I'm Sorry....
kokoro1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Am I missing anything, or is that really going to be it now for anime on broadcast and cable?

Don't forget one of TBN's channels, Smile of a Child. Because they're showing 5 anime.

Flying House
SuperBook
Little Woman
Swiss Family Robinson.
Going Wild. (KTV only airs it also.)[/quote]

Sunday Silence wrote:
SyFy: Imagine Nothing.

That's a funny thing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, kokoro1. I don't keep up with TBN, so I didn't realize that they showed any anime. Guess you can learn something new every day. Smile

kokoro1 wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
Am I missing anything, or is that really going to be it now for anime on broadcast and cable?

Don't forget one of TBN's channels, Smile of a Child. Because they're showing 5 anime.

Flying House
SuperBook
Little Woman
Swiss Family Robinson.
Going Wild. (KTV only airs it also.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kokoro1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Thanks, kokoro1. I don't keep up with TBN, so I didn't realize that they showed any anime. Guess you can learn something new every day. Smile

kokoro1 wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

Flying House
SuperBook
Little Woman
Swiss Family Robinson.
Going Wild. (KTV only airs it also.)

You're welcome. You can even watch this channel online 24/7.

But ThisTV also used to air Wizard of Oz anime last year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Catseyetiger wrote:
Anime seems to have died on tv.
sad!

Can't say I'm mad; it was always either butchered severely due to American censors being so strict or edited for tons of commercials and shifted around a lot (SyFy)

Exactly. Either the anime has been butchered so badly due to ultra American censorship or has been edited so there plenty of time for commercials that usually aren't that interesting to start with. Or my personal favorite, the show is shifted around so much, you have a better chance guessing the weather for the next week.

Let's take a look at the channels that still show anime;

Cartoon Network. Well after Toonami was shut down and eradicated, CN has not been the same. To be honest, the finale version of Toonami was not the same Toonami I knew for several years, but they still had great shows none the less. It's little sad, but when Toonami ended, it felt like the good times ended as well. I am not sure how long they will continue to aire anime, but these days, it's so strictly edited, it's anyone's guess.

4kids: They are done for. I could go on more about them, but straight up, they likely will shut down very soon most likely.

Disney. I think when Naruto Shippuden ends, so will the Disney running anime. Frankly, although Disney is not like 4kids, some of the edits they have done with the series seemed a bit much. Let's also not forget how much censorship has been used in the Disney Naruto series as well. Honestly, I think Disney is relying on popularity and that type of trick usually only works once if your really lucky, and twice by pure chance.

Nickelodeon. Out of every company I listed, they have the best chance of actually maybe becoming the next anime station if they play their cards right and really think before they leap into action. Now, Nick still does edits, but at least they don't go super overboard and censor so much of the show it's unwatchable, so for that I give them some credit. Not a lot, but a tiny bit.

Now the only reason I say "might" is because they also air those kid shows as well. Some actually may be decent and some may be lacking in some degree or another, but they may or may not be remembered. Back in the late 80's, early 90's they had some pretty good shows. However, I've noticed those shows are great nostalgia material, but they aren't always noticed for the show it self. For example, I barely remember the show "Pete and Pete" and talked about it with a friend a while back. While I don't really remember the show, I mostly remember how great those days were and what not. But not really the show.

But with anime, usually you remember both the show and the how the times were back then. For example Dragon Ball Z. Even though it's been a very long time, I still remember most the fights, the characters and most of the story lines.

I don't know about today's generation, but there is a chance they might remember anime more than a kid show because there is much more going on (sometimes) in a anime than a live action kids show.

But times have changed and eventually, TV may be a thing of past and the internet may be the next generation TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6