• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This toolbar in the forums is REALLY starting to annoy me...

I don't want it moved to the side. I don't want it moved to the bottom.

I want it *GONE*. As in NOT THERE.

And I want the full-sized forums back, as well. These white spaces on the side are hella annoying. Evil or Very Mad

Got to "account settings" and then "preferences". Select "200" and the white space is mostly gone.
And you can change the white to a different colour skin in [My ANN] [Personal] [Change skin]. I've selected Haibane Renmei, but there are others. I've asked for Hatsune Miku and friends as well. Very Happy
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I am absolutely loving this new design. One of the reasons I hardly checked up on ANN (compared to other news sites) was because of the mass of words and a lack of pictures, making it exceedingly straining to the eye and difficult to navigate.

Having pictures makes it far easier to spot what's new and what might interest you at a single glance. Unlike those YouTube updates, this is one that I can definitely get behind.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the new layout is pretty good. The images for each article really can make people interested to read more. But, for someone with slow internet connection like me, it's quite annoying because it'll take a while to load all the images. So, I guess overall I hate it. I still prefer the old one. It was a better news site for me.

And yeah, the sidebar is really annoying, taking 30% of the monitor in each page. But TBH I almost never had any interest with the articles in the sidebar, but now that it's rubbing on my face in every single page, I must admit it does catch my interest. Though probably in not a good way.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The ANN forum seems significant better optimized for tablet reading. Thanks!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The main page looks good, but since I spend so much time in the forums, it was really bugging me that so much of the screen is just a big white spot. Managed to change the width to 200 characters so that it is mostly like it was, although seems to keep wanting to adjust when I scroll, maybe because I use 115% magnification.

The bar at the top of the screen seems good too. It took me a while before I realized that My ANN was in clear view there, it seems easy to use, although a bit bland in the drop down windows.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the new layout;
My main issue is the necessity of scrolling down on the front page, it sounds weird but because of how much space each square takes up I really have to scroll down to find a story that interests me. I can of course tinker with the settings but this feature is not explained well and unless I make everything quite tiny I still run into the issue.

The front banner is way too big, unless over 50% of your site clicks are coming from the banner itself (of the 4-5 rotating stories to boot) I'd get rid of it.

Honestly the rest of my issues are just nit picky, the article labels (INTEREST, NEWS, ect) as well as the comments bar can be moved to below the picture since categories are just not that important to driving clicks. I would like to see some variation in text size, mainly on the daily briefs.

So yes, in the end my main issues could be resolved by taking out the main banner (it just takes up too much prime real estate on the front page), and making a more concise list format on the right side so I can see 5-10 stories without having to scroll down.

And that's it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed a bug, and that is that the site no longer lists the users browsing the site or a particular forum. It always says that there are zero users.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I just took the poll and I'm just popping in here to drop a few comments. First, I'm kind of meh on the new design. I hate the default grid with images view. It just looks like a mass of images that makes everything too busy looking to my eyes and difficult to find some place to rest my eyes upon. Since everything is roughly the same size it doesn't emphasize anything which makes it feel kind of disorganized to me. I tend to prefer the list view with images. Columns and features are listed along the side, but they are larger than the regular news, which emphasizes their importance as regular features. My eyes find this view less busy while offering enough visual variety to the news and briefs to make it fresh looking.

Don't care for Press Releases being buried in the News Menu. I will hardly ever use the menu, so I won't be seeing them there. I think I would instead put it into the row above the news and briefs probably last next to Live-Action heading. That's my initial response right now. I haven't looked at others comments, so I maybe repeating what's already been said.

Oh, and it wouldn't let me take the poll telling me that I needed cookies active. Cookies were active and it still wouldn't accept poll until I logged in, then I guess it recognized the cookies. Weirdness.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
This is a downgrade.

I liked ANN's compact but easy to read news titles. Now the main page seems like 50% blank space. Not every site needs to look like a cross between Instagram and Facebook. Why is this a thing?

The forums look good, but that's mostly because they look the same. I haven't checked yet, but it would be nice if forum threads could have more than 15 messages per page. That's an improvement that actually needed to be made.

Seriously, the main banner takes up over 80% of the space on the main page? That is atrocious. Please reduce the size of the banner. I know a lot of people have high resolution screens these days but I think my 1366 x 768 is still reasonable.

The news articles at the bottom of each page? Unnecessary and a waste of bandwidth.

Is it just me or do the skins not work on the main page? I dont want a bunch of white space.

If ANN is going to have a rotating banner why not allow viewers to tab through it instead of using arrows?

So far I am disappointed.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The 'around the web' section is pretty generic. Why is it all about video game? Better mix it with lifestyle, latest news, entertainment buzz, etc

The login option is a plus for this new layout.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The old site worked really well for me, but this new version seems much better organized. I am cool with any changes done to the site as long it is organized and performs (loads faster, does not go down) better.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I logged into My ANN to make some changes. When I went into "Account Settings" and tried to add a second email address to my account, I would get a webpage saying:

"The website cannot display the page"

I'm not sure if this was a bug introduced with ANN 5.0, but I thought I would go ahead and mention it in this thread, just in case it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought the unnecessary interest articles were bad enough but the new layout designs managed to one-up them...if it's going to be like this from now on I doubt I'll be visiting this site for anime/manga news anymore.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, I can finally read ANN easily on my iPhone... Thank you!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
I thought the unnecessary interest articles were bad enough but the new layout designs managed to one-up them

With the new design you can actually toggle off those unnecessary interest articles. Shouldn't that make you happy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 18