• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Couples Who Make Love and War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Look regarding Kagome, ... She is a bowman,

She is a priestess, or at least she has the spiritual power of one. Her arrows can destroy a demon, break through a demonic barrier, and purify a demonic miasma, among other things.

Quote:
Yes its been a while since I saw it but from what little I remember

Apparently it is the things that you do not remember that are responsible for the difference of opinion.

Quote:
But all the fights with Sessomaru, the Band of 7, early Naruku fights, etc. I can't recall doing much.

This is true. She is not a physical fighter and definitely can not do the things that Sango and Miroku can. But she can fight with her spiritual power and can be very effective.
My dispute was with the earlier claim that she does not contribute at all. She does contribute and she does qualify for this list.

Quote:
Hey its fine if you like her,

I do like her, but that is not the issue.
I am talking about things that actually happened in the anime. Those are facts that are not changed by our opinion of the character.

Quote:
but to me a battle couple seems to imply at least some equality by the members, more so than how often they actually fight together. But hey thats just my opinion.

I think that how well the couple complements each other and works together is more important than equality but, yes, that is just an opinion.
It is also just my opinion that Inuyasha and Kagome do complement each other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Although I could see arguments being made for duos like Inuyasha and Kagome and a few others mentioned, in most cases the duos only sporadically fight in a coordinated fashion and/or are ambiguous as couples. That's why I think the ones chosen that I am familiar with (5/7) are all excellent choices. The two couples that I can think of that might be as worthy as those on the list would be Deunan and Briareos from the Appleseed franchise and Parn and Deedlit from Record of Lodoss War.

While I know that a fair number of people would like to see Fruits Basket and Claymore redone so that they could continue farther with the manga content, I disagree that either needs it. I honestly think the Claymore anime handles its material better than the manga did and thought that FB did a wonderful job with the storytelling that it had. (The animation and artistry? That's another story.) And I strenuously disagree with remaking Serial Experiment Lain, since I think any attempt to update it would harm the artistic style that is so important to what the series is and does.

Really, I think there's an awful lot of anime that just needs extensions rather than reboots.

Last edited by Key on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Really, I think there's an awful lot of anime that just needs extensions rather than reboots.

Oh yes, shows that did not finish or ended unresolved such as Trigun, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor(the TV series ended, true, but the OVA's did not) and Rurouni Kenshin. Why are they so afraid to do the Jinchu arc? Those are my top 3 that need concluding.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Honestly, I'd love a reboot of Marmalade Boy or Card Captor Sakura, where both are closer to the manga tellings and more fast-paced/less filler (though I haven't read the CCS manga yet).

Shoujo represent! Smile

I'd second both of those. The Marmalade Boy anime is just so ridiculously long and bad that I couldn't stand to finish it while the manga is among my top 10.

I do enjoy the Cardcaptor Sakura anime about as much as the manga, even with the "filler" because unlike most series in the genre, even the filler kept the story moving forward at a good pace. Still, I'd love to see an anime version more faithful to the manga. Like not spoiler[toning down the relationship between a certain student/teacher, wrongly making Li a potential candidate, adding in Meilin, and completely changing the awesome way Li and Sakura's relationship goes near the end.]

For the poll I voted for Fruits Basket, done closer to the manga and, more importantly, covering the whole series. Razz I think it would have to be reboot due to the "mistake" made with a certain character... Rurouni Kenshin was a close second for the mess that went on in the anime later in the series.

I'd also really love Kare Kano to be rebooted and done properly - without those absolutely stupid cardboard cut out episodes (WTF was with that?) and excessive comedy taking over from the darker elements of the story. And of course, like Fruits Basket, it needs to actually be finished. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
It's often a tricky business to reboot something, because it's possible to make it worse than before. I'm more in agreement with rheiders: I want more Twelve Kingdoms as it stands.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Exactly this. The majority of anime remakes I'm familiar with are unnecessary at best (the new LOGH remake comes to mind), ill-advised in the middle (those Berserk movies were pretty terrible by most accounts), and utter heresy at the worst (the thought of anyone touching Lain makes me shudder). There are so many adaptations out there whose source material has been done for years and are just begging to be finished off. Kenshin is a prime example of that...why bother redoing the Kyoto arc, something the original anime did very well, when there's a whole third of the manga that's never once been animated? That's not to say every single reboot is a bad idea; FMA: Brotherhood wound up being very solid, but even with that, the material it shared with the 2003 series was executed far better in the former, and it took almost a third of the way through for it to really start hitting its stride. (It probably doesn't help that I consider the Lab 5 backstory far more compelling in the 2003 series, but what can you do.)

Of course in all of this the anime world is just following the same path is Hollywood, particularly when it comes to superhero movies. "What do you mean there hasn't been a Fantastic Four this decade? Fund it!"
hafizadam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I thought I would see Kira Yamato - Athrun Zala here sobs
Zump

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
Most of the shows listed wouldn't need reboots so much as extensions. I have no idea why nobody's bothered to adapt Kenshin's third arc.

I thought about putting down Outlaw Star or Trigun for show to reboot, but in the end I went with Getter Robo. I'd love to see a manga-faithful adaptation of that story, especially Getter Robo Go.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What would I like to see a reboot of? World Trigger.

If recent disasters are accepted as possible reboots, add Magical Warfare.

How could I forget that series?!?!?! While I don't really like it when a series is open ended, there are some that are fine that way. The way that Magical Warfare ended just left me feeling hollow...and it's not like I enjoyed all of that series either. There was some decent aspects, but feel like it was poor overall.

But, to end it with spoiler[the MC having somehow traveled back in time...with no idea how it happened or how he'd get home (it seemed like he was invisible to all but one of the villains)], it just takes the cake as the worst thing I've seen.

Key wrote:

Agreed. The aspect of anime being used as advertisements for their source material (if they are based on something) means that the list I have of series I'd like to see get sequels will be an ever growing one. Laughing
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Voted Trigun for reboot, there are so many awesome scenes in the source material and considering what animation is capable of today I'd love to see it. Though the animated adaption does handle Milly and Meyrl and the final fight MUCH better.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, what about Kirika and Mireille from Noir. Of course Kirika and Chloe were cut from a different cloth, the former had more of a connection. The should have made this list, but it would have been repetitive as they were on a previous list.

I will admit that Shakugan no Shana deserves my attention at some point. I had started watching the show some time ago when it started. I thought the premise was pretty interesting. I later dropped the show after the first season. Now there are like 2 more seasons and a host of extra features continuing the story. My reason for dropping it wasn't because it was bad it was because I had lost interest. Over the last year I had been following some YT vlogs, doing their top anime lists. Shakugan no Shana had been one of those titles recommended as a top viewing pick after S3 became available. I had been surprised by how far the show and the main characters' relationship to each other had developed. It's one that transcends the conventional relationship. So I may have to one day have to revisit the series to it's completion. I also want to revisit and finish SoAO as well because it seems to be getting lots of praise despite some shaky ground through the S1.

I wonder if we could put Katanagatari on the list? I'd go so much to put Appleseed's Deunan and Briareos on that list.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Soul Eater might be fun because you could see how the manga ended.

The exact same way the anime did, actually. Worse, actually. Read the ending, and immediately canceled my order for volume 11 & 12 and put up my 01-10 up for sale. Yes, THAT BAD.

wrong. I'm watched the whole anime series on toonami and is up to Vol 22 on the manga side. its completely different so believe me, its definitely not gonna end like the anime version let alone being "that bad".

Let's just say that the last two volumes probably will change your opinion.

Definitely agreeing with the people who say the Soul Eater manga ending was terrible. If I knew how the manga was going to end in hindsight I would have definitely not waste my money on buying the manga volumes. Unfortunately I already bought so many volumes that at this point I mind as well just complete the series.

As for what series I'd like to get a reboot, I voted for Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro. I know the series is definitely not popular enough to ever warrant a reboot but dang I would love to see an anime that stuck with the manga plot. With the rising popularity of Assassination Classroom maybe MTNN is getting a bit more popular but it's still unlikely a reboot will be made.
tehyar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
What, no Pai? Couple combatants always takes me back to my first, from 3x3 Eyes.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
tehyar wrote:
What, no Pai? Couple combatants always takes me back to my first, from 3x3 Eyes.

Yeah. I'm surprised I didn't think of that. But I've been stumped these days.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
I don't want a reboot of Twelve Kingdoms, I just want more of it!

I expect at this point in time, a remake is likely the only way we could see more of it, since the original series ended in 2003. That's 3 years older than the original Mushi-shi series. (Mush-shi also tends to have episodes that can be viewed standalone, while one of the strengths of Twelve Kingdoms is how it builds its characters, story, and mythology).

A big question about a remake would be if it would also go the "more faithful" route, which would mean dropping the anime-only characters of Asano and Sugimoto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6