• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Banned Around the Globe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the way I worded that sentence wasn't particular clear. This can sometimes be the case when I'm trying to condense 7 related things into the column and will gladly edit the sentence to better represent the correct terminology.

What I was trying to say was that Allah is the term/word used for the god worshiped by Muslims. I am aware that Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah/El/etc. are one in the same in origin as they are Abrahamic religions. I really don't feel specialized enough in religious studies to say much beyond that because all three holy books deviate at a certain point (the Torah, Bible, and Qu'ran) from one another, they aren't identical, obviously.

However, I'm also attempting to write from a third party standpoint, and I think that's where some of the confusion is. I'm not comfortable writing "Allah is the word used by Muslims to refer to God." Because it immediately assumes that all readers of the column, myself included, adhere to the idea that there is a god, or that there is only one deity, or that the only deity is Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah/El/etc.

If there is a better way to word the sentence that takes all of that into account, I'm all ears.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sun May 03, 2015 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:
Anyone else see this glitch, when accessing survey that way?

It's not a glitch. It's something I started doing after other surveys got a lot of jokey or sexual fill-in answers. Ever since, I've only allowed registered users to add their answers to cut back on spammy ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

That's what leads to handwringing over things like Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, etc. For whatever reason, there's a small but noisy subset of people who just don't get fantasy, and can't seem to make a distinction between a harmless, imaginative adventure and a work that genuinely encourages dabbling in the occult. I think what happens in most of these cases is that they never look into the works themselves, and just believe whatever they hear about them from whatever sources they follow regularly. Some people who hate on Christianity are likely doing something similar.

It amazes me how many people twist themselves inside out to find the devil in everything.

I grew up in a small town that had, and still does, 3 churches. Our Halloween celebrations were/are HUGE! Everyone gets involved: A church throws a big bash downtown; The 2 schools, elementary and JH, have parties for their kids; You can count on one hand the houses that don't decorate, let alone not hand out candy. The whole affair is seen as a warm fun time for the entire community. We've never had one person see Satan in kids dressing up and having a good time compliments of their equally joy-filled neighbors.

On the subject of banning published works, Yeeech: That could fill up pages of how wrong and regressive that is, especially when it seems to be perpetually done for stupid and ignorant reasons by stupid and ignorant people. Especially if it's done for kids. The stoopid-est reasons seem to rear their ugly heads when children are involved, and idiot parents are unaware of the world around them, and.... See, those pages. Bottom line: Don't do it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
@vonPeterhof

I see. But don't all the names begin with Ar-, As-, An- etc anyway? It's just that when I was taught them as a kid that was how they were taught to me and "Allah" was the first one.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
While I'm a fan of a number of series listed in the poll (Steins;Gate, Nozaki-kun, Chaika, Noragami, Gosick...the list could go on), I'm going with the Monogatari Series. It's not my favourite, but there's so much of it...would be nice to have a series on TV for a long time. Laughing

As for the list, had no idea about a number of these. But, I do wonder why number 1 was banned. Well, not exactly why (as that is said), but what was in the content that made it fall on the wrong side of the law.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@octopodpie Personally I would just replace "name" with "term" or "word". I don't think saying that Allah is a term for the Muslim god is inaccurate, regardless of whether or not he is the same deity as the one in Judaism and Christianity (a common, but not universally shared view). Otherwise I don't see any way of avoiding going deeper into specialized terminology like "Abrahamic God" or "monotheistic supreme being".

@Somer-_- The Names do all start with the definite article (some consonants in Arabic assimilate the l, which is why it isn't always pronounced "Al-"), but still, as far as I know even most of the Muslim scholars and communities who do consider Allah to be a name don't include it in the list of the 99. But then, even though I grew up in a Muslim-majority country most of my knowledge about Islam comes from the Internet, so for all I know your interpretation could be more common than I assumed.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but notice some of the options in this week's pole were not done within the last five years. Haruhi is one of the listed options I'm using for example. Even if you were counting the Haruhi renewal that came out in 2009 which means it just barely missed the five year window but missed it none the less. Why is it on the list?
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The Poll: I added Yowamushi Pedal.

My first choice personally is Hunter x Hunter. I'd love to see what a dub of this series would sound like, and it would give me another excuse to watch it again. Also Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Log Horizon, Gintama, K, Kids on the Slope, any of several others, because they are good shows that deserve a wider audience. If they were on broadcast TV, I'd get to see more cosplayers representing them at conventions. Very Happy

The reason I voted for Yowamushi Pedal - this is a really good show for all ages. I'd love to be able to watch this with my 7-year-old nephew, who can't keep up with subtitles yet. A show like this could be one that gives rise to the next generation of anime fans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

That's what leads to handwringing over things like Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, etc. For whatever reason, there's a small but noisy subset of people who just don't get fantasy,

Well considering the outrage that has actually erupted from labeling a work such as the bible itself fantasy that's wholly understandable.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Hunter x Hunter dubbed and placed on Toonami or a more lenient kids channel. It has hit potential.

Realistically we're probably going to get Psycho-Pass, Durarara season 2 and Death Parade on Toonami in the future.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
MajinAkuma wrote:
"Pikachu's name is Japanese for 'I am Jewish'."
Erm no. Pikachu is just a name. Yudawano is Japanese for Jewish.

That MajinAkuma's post was evidently ironic from the context has since been pointed out, so I'll just say that Pikachu means (as far as it does mean anything, being, as you say, just a name) 'sparkly mouse'. It's formed from the onomatopoeia for "sparkling; crackling" (as in lightning) and the sound a mouse makes. As Japanese Pokémon names are generally puns or otherwise based on real meaning, you could easily have one that means "I am Jewish".

For the current poll, I wasn't sure what advantage a show being on TV held for me full stop, let alone one I'd seen already, but I added Usagi Drop as the best show in the past five years that isn't a sequel to the first season of Mushishi.

Regarding the previous poll, "Masato Katsuragi" never got changed to "Misato".
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
While "Allah" is the Muslim equivalent of "God" and I doubt anyone would have a problem with "Christian God", Hope's usage certainly seems nonstandard in not treating Allah like a named deity.
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well considering the outrage that has actually erupted from labeling a work such as the bible itself fantasy that's wholly understandable.
How is that even remotely similar? That's the sort of assholish "I'm an atheist and therefore oh-so-holier-than-thou" nonsense that deserves a good (metaphorical)beatdown, anyway. Constantly calling folks delusional is not how you make friends and influence people.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Also, I know Bulma's technically underage at that point in the story (she's 16), but why is there now an issue with her being (partially) naked, yet 12-year-old Goku can run around completely naked, and they don't do a thing about it? It's weird and almost a little creepy to be honest.

I only saw the early DragonBall episodes, but I always thought Goku was a lot younger.

But it is only creepy now, in today's cultural climate. Thirty years ago we weren't so ultra conservative when it came to children.

I thought he was about 5 myself, but it's revealed in the second arc that he's actually 12. It's confusing because Gohan and Goten were drawn similarly when they were 5 and 7 respectively, and Gohan looks much more mature when he's 9. It's a bit of an inconsistency in the character designs.

I don't have a problem with nudity overall, but I always thought it was weird that they were so open about showing Goku and Gohan fully naked as children, especially since nudity for adult characters (male or female) was almost non-existent in the series. I know it's supposed to be innocent, but it's always been a bit awkward, and yes, a little creepy. Apparently in Japan, they're not as "loose" about it anymore, since it's censored in Dragon Ball Z Kai, even in the unedited Japanese broadcast.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Voted for Parasyte. I loved the manga, the show was great (had some flaws but was overall a decent adaptation) and I'd love to see it dubbed on Toonami. But I won't, because Sentai shows never get on Toonami for some reason.

Nothing wrong with parents sheltering their own kids. I appreciate that it's not an easy thing to do, and kind of feel bad for parents these days. But that's what parochial schools are for.
Banning Barefoot Gen in Japanese schools for dubious reasons bothers me the most out of the list, because if it's really a push for right wingers to push their agenda to whitewash WWII, it should definitely spark a debate against it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
While "Allah" is the Muslim equivalent of "God" and I doubt anyone would have a problem with "Christian God", Hope's usage certainly seems nonstandard in not treating Allah like a named deity.

...I'm not Hope.

vonPeterhof wrote:
@octopodpie Personally I would just replace "name" with "term" or "word". I don't think saying that Allah is a term for the Muslim god is inaccurate, regardless of whether or not he is the same deity as the one in Judaism and Christianity (a common, but not universally shared view). Otherwise I don't see any way of avoiding going deeper into specialized terminology like "Abrahamic God" or "monotheistic supreme being".

Okay, thanks! I'll make that edit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9