• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bikini Warriors Fantasy Figure Series Gets TV Anime Project in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I'm more perturbed that the animation character designs are more homogolized now and lack the distinctions of their originals…

I keep reading here and in another forum the same comment, but I prefer this homogenization to having the original character designs and levels of (in)animation similar to Sailor Moon Crystal (where they insisted in having the more complex designs from the manga even if they knew their budget was not in the level of Rage of Bahamut).
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
maybe they are really macho about protection being for wimps (the zero fighter planes did embody this mantra in WWII, so it is not so unrealistic as it seems) and hindering their movements.
This was definitely a thing seen in many societies: warriors tended not to be heavily armored and went into battled dressed to impress(hence things like warpaint). A lot of complaints about practical armor seem to base their ideas on the armor worn by heavy infantry(or even heavy cavalry), a concept missing from even great empires and distinctly at odds with the roles played by the criticized characters, which tend to be at the light infantry/skirmisher level. It's not realistic, but it's more so than the "realistic" armor often called for as its replacement.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, at the very least, this show seems to be honest and upfront. It's not pretending to be something else or trying to appear classier than it actually is.

Fronzel wrote:

I agree. This kind of show is about sex appeal so offering some varieties of body to appreciate would make sense, but they just rely on costume and hair to differentiate character design. Seems kind of lazy. Plus if it's going to focus on boobs, like a lot of these shows do, why are they all the same size? What's the point?

A true breast-lover loves all breasts, regardless of size...

I always had the impression that otaku are frightened by women with athletic or physically strong appearances. They're the antithesis to moe.

As for the boobs, I'm going to guess that the designs were modified by someone else later on or the artists were given strict guidelines to adhere to.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
I kind of concur that it's just not helping the anime scenes image and continues to make it harder for me to defend from it's critics by the season. It's just kind of looking more and more like the kind of low grade entertainment for fetishists that conservative critics and what not accuse it of being. Hell lately I feel like I've kind of wanted to join the critics of the anime scene if only out of a wish for some sort of change in direction albeit realizing that there's not much I can do or say that will change anything other than lament.

Money talks. If you want to try to change these trends, hit them where they hurt: Their ledgers. I wouldn't know how to do that though.

That being said, if my university's business majors and art majors (as well as other universities I've observed) were indicative of society as a whole, people in an industry to get rich and people in an industry to tell a message will always be at odds with each other. Not that it's impossible to make something both critically acclaimed AND a money-maker, but you'll have to make something that will satisfy two groups of people with entirely different (and sometimes mutually exclusive) intents.

mangamuscle wrote:
Even for a fantasy setting that is going too far. In medieval Japan they did not use metal armor or shields because the humid weather would turn them to rust in no time. or maybe Rust Monsters are as common as cows on the countryside. or maybe they are really macho about protection being for wimps (the zero fighter planes did embody this mantra in WWII, so it is not so unrealistic as it seems) and hindering their movements.

There were also those Scottish warriors of old who would step into the battlefield completely naked as an intimidation tactic.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I will at least check it out, but this looks pretty trashy so far. Still, sometimes these kind of series will surprise you. (Blade and Soul actually eventually turned out to be better than what it looked like it would be, for instance.)

Can't be any worse than Triage X. At least this show seems to be upfront about what it's about. Much like Queen's Blade. As the song goes, it's all about the nookie. *looks at his 5 QB PVC figures silently* Embarassed
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Triage X is a great action that solely focus on entertainment. The only downside is the censorship but it's fun to watch.

Anyways bikini armor is not as unrealistic as North Star Fist guys like Kenshiro who fight with no shirt on and somehow their muscles are more durable than steel. Anime and realism just don't go together.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
but who knows, maybe they'll go meta and it will be a critic about ecchi shows, like Princess Robot Bubblegum. [NSFW] Laughing Embarassed

"Hey, you got your Powerpuff Girls in my Grand Theft Auto!"
"Yeah, well you got your Grand Theft Auto in my Powerpuff Girls!"

Rolling Eyes

(Are they seriously asking me to give up five minutes of playing GTA5 just to watch more bad imitations of CN passive-hostility?)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I always had the impression that otaku are frightened by women with athletic or physically strong appearances. They're the antithesis to moe.

Draw a line you have kawaii (cute) in one extreme and kakkoi (cool) on the other. On the far side of kawaii you will have moe, on the other extreme you will have these physically strong women, which are nothing new, jump to minute three of Wanna Be's from 1986. I enjoy moe (i.e. K-ON and Hanayamata) but also like strong females. The problem is that many insecure males feel their very existence is called into question when such a character appears and attack them under the flimsiest pretense, so they must be played as cameos, for comedy (i.e. Project A-KO) or as villains Heck, even here in america (the continent) most of the time your manliness is called into question if you are upfront about it. I am the don't give a damn kind of person, but I have read about people who (before the internet became popular) stole the latest issue of women's physique world because it was too embarrassing to buy it at the counter. So I have no doubt of anime's like wannabe's had low sales due to these factor. But nowadays with the advent of the internet you can buy this kind of series over the internet, I think that is the reason Witchcraft Works had sales above expected, you had a tough looking female as the main character. They toned her physique down from the manga (she was taller and had a more imposing figure), but IMO they would have sold more if they had toned her UP. By the amount of drawings of strong females flowing every day in pixiv I can say there are many otaku interested, inside and outside japan.

I do not expect Bikini Warriors to have any strong females (although even Senran Kagura had Daidoji-senpai), heck, I have set the bar at having competent female (but even Walkure Romanze came short) fighters.
Nayre

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
My junior is ready Mr. Green
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The problem is that many insecure males feel their very existence is called into question when such a character appears and attack them under the flimsiest pretense, so they must be played as cameos, for comedy (i.e. Project A-KO) or as villains

Which Project A-Ko cameo?
If you mean Mari, that was a Fist of the North Star parody (they even left in a head explosion, if you don't blink), and if you mean spoiler[D's sudden donning of bikini-warrior armor], that was a crossdresser joke.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Muscle fetish. Queen's Blade had a good amount of it, hope to see some here too. You can't lump all otaku tastes into wanting meek KyoAni-esque prepubescent girls; some of us like what Chinbotsu has on offer and would kill to get some anime with that stuff.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
Look, I love my anime with actual artistic value as much as the next guy, but sometimes chicks in bikinis with swords is all you need....or want.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You can't lump all otaku tastes into wanting meek KyoAni-esque prepubescent girls

KyoAni isn't exactly known for featuring prepubescent girls...
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
These designs look really gross. I mean come itd be like for you guys if they drew these super ripped dudes with their packages hanging out.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I mean come itd be like for you guys if they drew these super ripped dudes with their packages hanging out.

You mean Free?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
These designs look really gross. I mean come itd be like for you guys if they drew these super ripped dudes with their packages hanging out.

That is a false equivalency since the character designs do not show camel toe, heck, not even nipples, you could use any drawing program to change the skin color to the same color of the bikini, remove the belly button and voila, instant spandex outfit as since in your average superhero comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6