• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Assassination Classroom season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
but I got the impression that the audience was supposed to take it seriously.

Clearly this was the most surreal episode we have seen. What is interesting is that even if you don't take it seriously it still winds up a fair amount of emotional energy in the viewer. The best part was when Asano confronts Class E.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I disagree intensely regarding the assessment of the way this episode handled the tests. I thought it was really cool, and easily one of my favorite parts of this episode. And realistically, how would they have done the visual representation better? I welcome the break from the routine way of depicting situations like this in anime. I've always found it an inspired visual metaphor, especially when the monster designs are this good-looking.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
I, personally, enjoy when this show embraces its crazy side. It's not like the premise is exactly 'normal' in the first place, so why should it care to make everything 'normal' when it can just cast that aside and do awesome stuff like this? This show's refusal to do the norm is its best trait.

Plus, the monsters looked amazing.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Karma's answer is technically incorrect as an FYI. He's on the right track (far more so than whatever garbage Asano was using), but it fails to account for the fact that in a Face Centered Cube crystalline structure, there is empty space and not just atoms. So the answer is actually a bit less than half the cube. (You can look up the exact answer pretty easily. I can't remember the exact solution off the top of my head though)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Karma's answer is technically incorrect as an FYI.

I was wondering that myself and I had the wrong answer before they revealed Karma's (a^3)/2. My problem was the wording of the question and I wonder if there was a translation problem. To me it sounded like a trick that resolved to just the volume of the cube of six points around the atom, or simply a^3. I would appreciate a link to what you think the answer is because I don't see how it can be a non-intergal ratio to a^3.

Above that I was pretty impressed that the Principal picked out Terasaka the Big Lunk to solve the odds problem which I also got wrong! In a way I think that was more impressive than Karma's win. (was he being tested to see if he deserved his grade?)

Oh. And Rio got #3. Win.

Now,

Review wrote:
Rating: B

Paul's lukewarm regard seems to hinge mostly that they finished one arc and started another at the eye-catch and the new arc didn't start out with a big enough heft or something. I just don't see it that way and in fact it puts the characters in a much more complex situation than we have ever seen previously.

Principal Asano is being outrageously unfair with his play-or-be-fired setup and I kind of wonder why the government isn't objecting. But then again it looks like this is just turning into a very credible and highest-ever-odds-of-succeeding assassination attempt. Since that's what everyone (maybe even Koro-sensei) wants then so why not just watch?

Also something not remarked upon much is that clearly the Class E students are very much on Koro-sensei's "side" in everything. For a teacher who has taken them so far so well why wouldn't they? That end-of-the-world business is still remote in their scale of thinking but it can't be forever. Yet when it is mentioned it seems that they now think of murder as little more than a very difficult pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game.

So I don't see why this episode wouldn't be higher rated -- it seems to have far more assets than the review would give it credit for.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
The backstory for the principal is appreciated and improves his character. The one issue I had was that you could do what he did in response to one of his students committing suicide or you could, I don't know, start an anti-bullying campaign/foundation. Name it after the dead kid (Ikeda if I'm not mistaken). He certainly has the money. Not saying resilience in the face of bullying shouldn't be encouraged but bullying should be discouraged as well. Dead kid is certainly an effective way to say yes this is a problem. It is almost as if bullying is taken as a given, and not an issue to be addressed. You might not be able eliminate the problem but you can certainly decrease it significantly. He actually sort of changes the basis of bullying into academic skill. So he doesn't eliminate the problem just who gets bullied and why.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13/35 review wrote:
The problem is that it's just not all that funny.

The thing is I don't think it was meant to be all that funny. It was supposed to be a drama piece not a comedy skit. What I liked about it is the great use of stagecraft -- the lights, the glittering fall, the projections. It all felt like something very good JKers would come up with. And I get the feeling that someone in the art department had some sort of sentimental attachment to this.

I have a bigger problem with Principal Asano. His idea of making "better students" is to make sure they don't succumb to pressures and commit suicide. So the solution is to crush all joy out of life for every student to the point that no weak thoughts can possibly be left. It is stupid and makes no sense. He wants to sacrifice students to avoid students being sacrificed.

But I still enjoyed the episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
A slice-of-life series chronicling Gakuho's cram school days is something I'd gladly watch.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It is almost as if bullying is taken as a given, and not an issue to be addressed.

It is taken as a given. Heavy bullying has been a problem in Japan for years and it's pretty much ingrained in their schools, with even teachers being somewhat accomplices to it. Add to it that asking for help or accusing the bullies is implicitly frowned upon because that would be "causing a scene". Note that even at the funeral, someone said that "the kid should've stood up for himself". I wish someone had made any comment about the disgusting victim blaming
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:00 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Note that even at the funeral, someone said that "the kid should've stood up for himself". I wish someone had made any comment about the disgusting victim blaming
Asano did. It was called Kunugigaoka Academy. You're supposed to be disgusted when background characters say stuff like that. It's trashy and insensitive, but also pretty clear that everyone on he anime staff agreed that it was trashy and insensitive.

After this episode, I'm really wishing they had adapted Maehara's story in season 1. Sure it was appallingly juvenile and borderline OOC for Koro-sensei to delight in the suffering of anyone, but it was still a pretty good look at how Koro-sensei enables his class to deal with bullies.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed both halves of the episode, but I can't help but feel how mismatched they were. It seems pretty obvious they didn't want to stretch out the first story, so they added the second simply to fill time, making it feel tacked on as a result. As much as I enjoyed the stage play (I enjoyed how surreal and unusual it was), I actually would have preferred it if the first part was expanded to take up the whole episode in order to gain a greater emotional attachment to the characters in the flashback and explain the backstory a bit. But as it stands, I think it was good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
oh snap, I didn't realize this was going on for another season, which means they will actually be finishing this series (the manga is complete). Expect some amazing stuff to be coming up, along with a ton of feels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
ep 14,

it's hereeeeeeee!

Been waiting since the beginning of season 2 for the Kayano reveal. It was pretty well done although she looked way creepier (in a cool sexy way) in the manga, but manga/anime comparisons will always be a bit bias.

I was a little disappointed that they mixed up the events in this episode. In the manga scene where the masked guy is talking comes first, and he mentions that he noticed there was a monster in Class E, however all the scenes show Nagisa (with Kayano in the background) so it looks like he's talking about Nagisa. Then the Kayano reveal is right after that, it was really well done. the effect felt a lot lessened in the anime since they pulled the reveal right off the bat, I thought they would save it for the end of the episode but I think they are rushing to fit the rest of the series into this season so they are hurrying things up a bit.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
"While the lack of any significant foreshadowing helps to preserve the element of surprise, it also makes it more difficult to buy into what's going on."

Sorry, but you are wrong. There were MANY things foreshadowing this particular twist.
spoiler[Love of sweets. Obsession with boobs. Inability to swim. The fact that she got thrown in class E on purpose by breaking Asano's stuff. Her comment about how a hidden blade must be kept hidden even from her allies.Shiro's comment about a true monster in the class. Asano's comment about how nobody in class is aware of the greatest danger.]
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
http://microlm.tumblr.com/post/111593001543/regarding-chapter-128

Foreshadowing was there, but a lot of it was subtle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10