• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Aaron Dismuke as Van

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
...but the Show itself was MANGLED...

And why would they? The original dub was a joke thanks to Fox Kids.

You do realize that a) there is a full, complete, uncut dub, that was released on the Bandai DVDs, and that that was edited to the Fox Kids version, and that b) the full series aired (mostly uncut) in Canada, right?

If you're basing your entire argument on the fact that the show aired on TV before the DVD release came out, and assuming that the DVD release is the exact same, you should reconsider your argument.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
He may not have been the lead director but he was still the assistant director for both the Full Metal Alchemist and Ouran Host Club dubs and both are widely regarded as being excellent. I haven't heard much of the Prison school dub as I'm waiting for the blurays but what little I've heard of it sounded fine enough to me outside of the controversial change that I understand why others may be upset but I also doubt Funi would let something like that happen again.

It doesn't necessarily matter who would get chosen; any attempt to redub something that's already been done is bound to be trashed by longtime fans of the original no matter what. I find it even more annoying when a lot of this is pre-determined beforehand.

I haven't heard much of Sonny's directing work, but if he also helmed FMA, then he at least deserves a chance, because that WAS indeed a great dub.

"Why are people upset? The Ocean dub was pretty much panned universally back in the day. Where is this love coming from?"

For the same reason that a lot of people suddenly scream out in favor of any title that receives a new dub: because that's the version they saw first, and so anything else is an aberration.

Now speaking for myself, I don't remember the Ocean dub being that universally panned; just mixed reaction. I don't think of the Ocean dub as a particularly outstanding dub, but it's not the worst I've ever heard, and frankly, if there are people who like that version, they like that version. No need to put down anyone for different preferences.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
XChampion wrote:
This proves the original voice actors will not return. Now Im kind of disappointed. Crying or Very sad

I'm not surprised to be honest. Chances are even if FUNimation wanted to, they wouldn't be able to get all the original voice actors back together again. And besides, I don't recall FUNimation outsourcing any of their recent acquisitions to Canada as of late. Though I could be mistaken.

no your not mistaken there would be no way funi would outsource any of their licenses to canada. and considering how long it was when bandai did the english dub, its a high chance that the old cast have retired. there was no way their was gonna do for this series what they did for tenchi muyo ryo-oki .

regardless, definitely a head scratcher on having dismuke as van. personally ayres would have been a better van, though i was kinda expecting byrce papenbrook to voice van. hell was expecting the entire AOT cast to be brought in to do the english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5