• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Anime Moves to Disney XD in U.S. With Pokémon Sun & Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
The late Satoshi Iwata also referred to the red lizard thing as "Charizard".

You meant to say Satoru Iwata?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
The late Satoshi Iwata also referred to the red lizard thing as "Charizard".

You meant to say Satoru Iwata?

Please excuse me!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Disney X.D. is getting "Pokemon." For a long time,Cartoon Network's had "Pokemon." Hopefully,they'll do better with it next time.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Yeah, that's NOT going to happen. The English names of the Pokemon are set in stone. In Japan, they had a "Lizardon" figure and underneath in English, it had "Charizard". The late Satoshi Iwata also referred to the red lizard thing as "Charizard". The English names are the least of one's worries. At least for the anime. Name changes, aside, the dubs are pathetic.

You wouldn't happen to know which figure it is would you? I have the D-Arts and the G.E.M and there's no English name on it, just Hitokage and Lizardon.

Still, I don't think he's trying to say the English names aren't official, but only bad companies use dub names in subs. Even Gyakuten Saiban on Crunchyroll used the Japanese names in the sub.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Oh man, that's a good way to put it. On a related note, a short while back, elsewhere where dubs were being talked about, I saw someone post "Ugh DUBS! I'd rather watch an episode of MLP."

Yeah. It'd be funny if it weren't so sad

Also, yeah, people are REALLY missing out not watching Steven Universe. It definitely goes into territory as dark as any shonen/all-ages Anime.

Something I feel I should say is that whenever something becomes popular that one doesn't like, one should always ask, "Why did this become popular? What are people liking about it that I'm not?" And not in a condescending "Because they're idiots" way, but with an open mind, with understandable, sympathetic reasons, because there will always be at least one.

That's what I always do, and that goes for everything from anime and western animated shows I don't like (or don't understand) to presidential candidates (but let's not open that can of worms).

Whoever said that comment has likely never seen an episode of Friendship Is Magic, or they'd know that most of the voice actors in that show have done plenty of anime dubs in the past (and are still doing it, with Andrea Libman being the only one I can think of who hasn't). And I do watch and enjoy that show.

michaeltanzer wrote:
I think Funimation is better off licensing it instead...but without the Localized trainer and Pokemon names

Except that won't fly because they'll have to follow the video games. I'm certain it's in the contract.

I also like the English names.

(Where did this come from anyway? Anime News Network is the ONLY place I go to where people insist on using the Japanese names only and expect everyone to understand them. I go to other Pokémon sites like Pokébeach and Serebii and everyone universally uses the names of the Pokémon of their own country's games and anime.)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

(Where did this come from anyway? Anime News Network is the ONLY place I go to where people insist on using the Japanese names only and expect everyone to understand them. I go to other Pokémon sites like Pokébeach and Serebii and everyone universally uses the names of the Pokémon of their own country's games and anime.)

Don't those sites primarily focus on the video games? I would imagine anime boards would be more likely to use Japanese names since the fansubs use Japanese names.

-Stuart Smith
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 am Reply with quote
Not that the Pokemon Anime is even worth watching. Come on guys.
It's literally the same shit on recycle over and over. Ash can't even win a champsionship.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder the ratings would be like if the 4Kids cast was still dubbing it and it was still on Cartoon Network.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
4Kids voices? You mean, like Veronica Taylor unable to differentiate between voicing Ash and May? Or Eric Stuart constantly destroying the character of James? Thanks, but no, thanks.
Besides, kids doesn't care about voices. Here in my country, they totally changed the cast of Max Steel cartoon (2013 version) halfway through season 2 and I don't think it had any effect on its ratings. Kids simply don't care, as long as it airs and it's dubbed. That's sad fact.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but how I understand how some kids cartoons work specially the action ones is that they pay networks to air their shows because the show them selves is basically a big toy ad. This is why rating for these kind of shows don't matter as much.

Example, a couple shows that Cartoon Network treats just as bad as Pokémon, Sonic Boom and Transformers. You'd think a network would go crazy over the fact they have Transformers, more or less the same with Sonic. But they aren't you know why, Cartoon Network has not a damn thing to do with, Pokémon, Sonic Boom or Transformers.

Sega one day decided lets make a Sonic Boom cartoon series, in their infinite wisdom made a TV series with out a network backing, I assume Transformers the same and the Pokémon dub is floating out there the same. This is why these shows air one very different channels in different countries, One place it's Cartoon Network, another Nick, another Disney, someplaces a network you never heard of

Basically SEGA pays Cartoon Network to treat Sonic Boom like crap,

Hasbro pays Cartoon Network to treat Transformers like crap,

Pokémon pays Cartoon Network to treat their show like crap,
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Don't those sites primarily focus on the video games? I would imagine anime boards would be more likely to use Japanese names since the fansubs use Japanese names.

-Stuart Smith

Actually, your explanation makes a lot of sense, and if that's what some fansubs use, I can see that phenomenon happening.

Pokébeach primarily focuses on the card game, by the way. Since the Japanese cards have a different back than cards in any other language, almost no one uses the Japanese cards on that site, and so Japanese Pokémon names are almost never used there.

peno wrote:
4Kids voices? You mean, like Veronica Taylor unable to differentiate between voicing Ash and May? Or Eric Stuart constantly destroying the character of James? Thanks, but no, thanks.

At no point did I ever confuse Ash's voice or May's voice, even when I wasn't looking at the screen, so I don't really see the problem there. As for James, his character had deteriorated into a laughingstock in short order anyway, so Eric Stuart's performance reflected that.

Shows like Now and Then, Here and There, as well as some of the Sonic games made between 2007 and 2012, show that the 4Kids voice actors can do really good performances.

ReifuTD wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but how I understand how some kids cartoons work specially the action ones is that they pay networks to air their shows because the show them selves is basically a big toy ad. This is why rating for these kind of shows don't matter as much.

Example, a couple shows that Cartoon Network treats just as bad as Pokémon, Sonic Boom and Transformers. You'd think a network would go crazy over the fact they have Transformers, more or less the same with Sonic. But they aren't you know why, Cartoon Network has not a damn thing to do with, Pokémon, Sonic Boom or Transformers.

Sega one day decided lets make a Sonic Boom cartoon series, in their infinite wisdom made a TV series with out a network backing, I assume Transformers the same and the Pokémon dub is floating out there the same. This is why these shows air one very different channels in different countries, One place it's Cartoon Network, another Nick, another Disney, someplaces a network you never heard of

Regarding Transformers: Hasbro DOES have its own network, currently known as Discovery Family. They tried to play the vertical integration game, but it flopped.

Toy companies like Hasbro and LEGO know very well how to negotiate with TV channels as to how to distribute money gained from merchandise. 80's animated programming was all about that. The problem is that if the TV channel is no longer interested, then the toy company is left high and dry.

Considering there is comparatively little merchandise for any Cartoon Network show right now, focusing mainly on hobby shops and collector goods (maybe except The Powerpuff Girls), my impression is that either Cartoon Network is not that interested in merchandise sales, or children's merchandise has moved away from TV shows and towards general multimedia franchises (like Star Wars or Monster High). Talking Tom, of all things, just had a Happy Meal line this year, for instance. That being said, the mere existence of a show can keep a franchise in the public consciousness and help perpetuate selling toys. This is Disney's approach with the Tinkerbell franchise, everything being released on video or put up for streaming, and it's doing wonderfully. It's also why, despite lower ratings ever since the Hub switched to Discovery Family, I believe Friendship Is Magic is staying put where it is.

Either of these explanations would coincide with the dropoff in action shows made and aired in North America. Action shows are more expensive to make than comedy shows, as they can't just rely on talking-heads dialogue and constant limited animation. As a result, they often cannot make back the money gained through advertisements, so have to rely on merchandise sales to compensate. The Transformers cartoons, actually have been doing very well with that, at least up to Transformers Prime. (Then again, The Amazing World of Gumball looks like a remarkably expensive show to make too, and it's doing fine.)
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

ReifuTD wrote:

Regarding Transformers: Hasbro DOES have its own network, currently known as Discovery Family. They tried to play the vertical integration game, but it flopped.

Toy companies like Hasbro and LEGO know very well how to negotiate with TV channels as to how to distribute money gained from merchandise. 80's animated programming was all about that. The problem is that if the TV channel is no longer interested, then the toy company is left high and dry.

Considering there is comparatively little merchandise for any Cartoon Network show right now, focusing mainly on hobby shops and collector goods (maybe except The Powerpuff Girls), my impression is that either Cartoon Network is not that interested in merchandise sales, or children's merchandise has moved away from TV shows and towards general multimedia franchises (like Star Wars or Monster High). Talking Tom, of all things, just had a Happy Meal line this year, for instance. That being said, the mere existence of a show can keep a franchise in the public consciousness and help perpetuate selling toys. This is Disney's approach with the Tinkerbell franchise, everything being released on video or put up for streaming, and it's doing wonderfully. It's also why, despite lower ratings ever since the Hub switched to Discovery Family, I believe Friendship Is Magic is staying put where it is.

Either of these explanations would coincide with the dropoff in action shows made and aired in North America. Action shows are more expensive to make than comedy shows, as they can't just rely on talking-heads dialogue and constant limited animation. As a result, they often cannot make back the money gained through advertisements, so have to rely on merchandise sales to compensate. The Transformers cartoons, actually have been doing very well with that, at least up to Transformers Prime. (Then again, The Amazing World of Gumball looks like a remarkably expensive show to make too, and it's doing fine.)

Well regarding Transformers the current series is Robots in Disguise,It was put onto Cartoon Network after the Hub changed into Discovery Family, I don't think most people knew that was a thing that existed intelligent open Netflix after the end the first season. Honestly I'm shocked that Hasbro hadn't moved all there shows the Netflix yet. I get the impression that Discovery Finally must've made a deal to keep showing some of Hasbro's shows they had airing when the network was the Hub. Hasbro didn't even premiere the latest Equestria Girls movie opting to put it on Netflix instead. So I'm sure that Hasbro has plans are completely backing out of Discovery Family.

Side note, I also get the impression that Saban Entertainment is all a bit frustrated having Nickelodeon back Power Rangers, but that's mostly due to production reasons like limiting how many episodes they can have per season/year. Saban Entertainment seems to have a good relationship with Netflix, I'm pretty sure that Netflix was a bigger thing when the production contract for Power Ranger was up they'd be making the show instead Nickelodeon. I'm a little shocked that they hadn't switched to Netflix by now.
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
Extremely unfitting music.

That is nothing new at all. The most bizarre thing is they have the rights to the original music but choose to replace it anyway.

The move to another Network indicates to me that it's just another nail in the coffin for anime on American television. Some people might see that as a bad thing, but I think it's a good thing. Crunchyroll seems to be picking up a few more kids shows every season like Time Bokan 24, Monster Hunter, and Hey Bot. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever get subbed Pocket Monsters so long as the license is in their hands, much like Digimon with Saban and Yu-Gi-Oh with Konami. Only newer franchises will benefit from this

ReifuTD wrote:
I'm shocked how many people here seemed to have Pokemon the only thing they watch on CN, unless they are exaggerating or something, I thought people would at least be watching Steven Universe or something witch is basally the CN's Avertar The last Air bender.

I don't even like Avatar but I find that comparison to be pretty flimsy. Steven Universe only seems to be popular with Tumblr-crowd. Avatar actually had appeal beyond those people since it came out before Tumblr was a thing. That's probably why Legend of Korra was so ill received by comparison. I don't personally find Steven Universe worth watching and I don't really think it's really comparable to Pokemon to begin with. They're two different types of shows.

-Stuart Smith
I want Aikatsu, PriPara and Pretty Cure on Crunchyroll.......
peno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

At no point did I ever confuse Ash's voice or May's voice, even when I wasn't looking at the screen, so I don't really see the problem there.

Well, unfortunately, I did, a lot of time. Not to mention Veronica Taylor gave May pretty much just higher pitched version of Ash's voice. 4Kids had a lot of VAs and I simply don't understand why they chose a VA who had problem to differentiate two voices in one show to do two roles. It was obviously beyond her abilities as a VA. That's my opinion.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for James, his character had deteriorated into a laughingstock in short order anyway, so Eric Stuart's performance reflected that.

If it sounded like I blame Eric Stuart for James' bad voice in 4Kids dub, then I am sorry. I know he can do much better, as he clearly showed in the role of Brock. In the case of James, he obviously just followed instructions from someone in 4Kids. But that wouldn't make it any better. They did not just made him laughing stock, they made him laughing stock gay stereotype, That's what was so wrong with that voice. That and the fact he couldn't pull serious acting if needed. The episode where James is freeing Weezing is the best example of that. I am really glad both of these things are now past and TPCI made James more closer to his Japanese counterpart.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
If it sounded like I blame Eric Stuart for James' bad voice in 4Kids dub, then I am sorry. I know he can do much better, as he clearly showed in the role of Brock. In the case of James, he obviously just followed instructions from someone in 4Kids. But that wouldn't make it any better. They did not just made him laughing stock, they made him laughing stock gay stereotype, That's what was so wrong with that voice. That and the fact he couldn't pull serious acting if needed. The episode where James is freeing Weezing is the best example of that. I am really glad both of these things are now past and TPCI made James more closer to his Japanese counterpart.

Looking back at the more serious episodes of 4Kids Pokémon's earlier seasons...James did sound a bit awkward on some moments, although I did get quite a few laughs from some hilarious episodes. In any case, I'm satisfied that in addition to James' English voice sounding more like that of the Japanese, the storyline of the English version is closer to the Japanese version under TPCI's domain (aside from the use of in-house music).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6