• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
It is a good image.

Izanagi009 wrote:
Well, looks like we are about to hit an absurd scale for Index's power battles. Accelerator vs Kakine in theory should be restrained compared to what this will be. I just hope the animation for this fight will be better than the disappointing Accelerator vs Kakine fight (long story short, issues with editing, visual effects and general feel of impact)

Oh god... I was so pissed at that fight. Accel just shoves him into the concrete... How in the hell is that suppose to stop Kakine? I'd at least understand if they were trying to tone down how graphic the series was, but they had absolutely no problem showing spoiler[Fre/nda.]

I don't feel like this is actually that high on the absurd power level scale compared to some of the WW3 arc stuff from Index season 3. I do really, really hope that it at least looks visually absurdly strong compared to WW3 anime stuff because that looked weak.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Am i the only one who has to keep looking up names of characters who haven't appeared in awhile in order to remember who we're talking about?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Am i the only one who has to keep looking up names of characters who haven't appeared in awhile in order to remember who we're talking about?

I think it's understandable when you have a franchise that has been going on so long that there are over spoiler[two dozen] (non-clone) characters who share the same last name. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 am Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

Um, I use the franchise's Wiki page extensively nearly every time I write a franchise episode review. Have to, partly because there are too many names spelled rather similarly. (Misaki vs. Misaka, for instance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Welp, that new episode felt like set up for bigger action set pieces but it's serviceable for that type of thing.

That said, i still find Touma a bit off putting in this episode. I don't know, I got tired of him after Index III's stuff and I feel odd about him taking some of the spotlight of Misaka.

That said, Sugita is a bit fun, it's like Touma if the self righteousness was replaced with over the top bluster
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

Um, I use the franchise's Wiki page extensively nearly every time I write a franchise episode review. Have to, partly because there are too many names spelled rather similarly. (Misaki vs. Misaka, for instance.)

It varies for me, some character names are easier to remember than others, if I like the character I'll remember their name, if I don't then I don't bother looking it up unless there super important to the plot or there's something really complex going on that was referenced in prior episodes. Most of the times I don't let it bother me, and looking it up is sometimes fun.

Misaki and Misaka are the worst, I don't know what their names look like in Japanese but I constantly confuse them when I read too fast. I'll be 2 or 3 paragraphs in and think wtf when or why did Misaki/Misaka do this or do that until I realize the paragraph was referring to the other level 5.

This episode did not disappoint, when touma and Sogiita teamed up I was 'ecstatic' and had to stop myself from constantly checking the runtime, a pity they cut to other events but that's just how it goes. No idea what his power is but his personality is so fun, I'm glad he overshadowed Touma and I hope he continues to do so, I don't hate the main character but... he's so incredibly boring especially when he says the same thing every time to every villain of the week er arc but in a different way. It's like he doesn't develop as a character and is used solely as a plot device, wink wink nudge nudge.

Shade against Touma aside as they're being zoned by Mikoto I thought to myself, huh Sogiita seems like the kinda person who'll solve things in a comically simple way. When Touma mentions getting closer I thought, hm I bet if you threw Touma at her that would solve your spacing issue. Then it happened. And I was satisfied. The princess carry was the icing. Though I say it's sexist that they didn't make touma blush as he was in his arms. That would have been one of the most memorable scenes in the franchise(and a source of endless doujins) and we all know that if it was any female character in that position they'd be beet red.
Jokes aside there's a huge continuity error here that fans of index s3 should have picked up on. Distances like this are nothing to Touma, he once leapt several meters in a single jump and managed to double jump backward against Fiamma. Or could this be where he unlocks this animation saving inconsistent ability?
Ok, that was the last jab.

I'm actually surprised by Mikoto's 2% output as it seems kinda weak. At least by my impression of how hyped up a Lv6 is supposed to be. By that estimation, 100% would be 20 times bigger and while that's certainly huge I'd always imagined Lv6 to be this sort of divine level of strength. The whole reason accelerator wanted to become a Lv6 was because he'd be so insanely strong that no one would be stupid enough to consider fighting him. To do that he'd need to have an incomprehensible and overwhelming power, which what I envisioned lv 6 as. I suppose my imagination of what a lv6 could do made me underwhelmed by the reality. Ah well, I'll temper my expectations and see what she can do next week. I'd be even more disappointed if this is all Mikoto can do since the more powerful the individual the more creative they get with their powers.
Except for Touma.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

I'm actually surprised by Mikoto's 2% output as it seems kinda weak. At least by my impression of how hyped up a Lv6 is supposed to be. By that estimation, 100% would be 20 times bigger and while that's certainly huge I'd always imagined Lv6 to be this sort of divine level of strength. The whole reason accelerator wanted to become a Lv6 was because he'd be so insanely strong that no one would be stupid enough to consider fighting him. To do that he'd need to have an incomprehensible and overwhelming power, which what I envisioned lv 6 as. I suppose my imagination of what a lv6 could do made me underwhelmed by the reality. Ah well, I'll temper my expectations and see what she can do next week. I'd be even more disappointed if this is all Mikoto can do since the more powerful the individual the more creative they get with their powers.
Except for Touma.

But...that's kinda the point though.Currently she only has 2% power output of what a Lv6 is supposed to have,so imagine her power when she fully achieves Lv6.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Misaki and Misaka are the worst, I don't know what their names look like in Japanese but I constantly confuse them when I read too fast. I'll be 2 or 3 paragraphs in and think wtf when or why did Misaki/Misaka do this or do that until I realize the paragraph was referring to the other level 5.

Well, Misaka is a family name. Misaki is a first name so that already I'm sure makes it easier. I usually call her Mikoto to differentiate from the clones and from Misaki who would otherwise only be 1 letter different. I'm kind of confused why she seems to be the one character that is frequently referred to by the fans by their family name.

Calsolum wrote:
Except for Touma.

Couple of things. First, don't take the fact that it didn't damage the building to mean much. Accelerator hit it with the kinetic energy generated by 2 seconds of the Earth rotating for it to remained undamaged (in the anime version Accel just threw a building at the Windowless Building). Some fans calculated how much that would be, and it was utterly insane.

Second, a speed of light attack with a diameter large enough to cover that whole building is pretty broken. If you mean her attacks on Touma and Gunha, she wasn't seriously addressing them. She was focused on the building the whole time. Every attack she used on Touma and Gunha should be doable by her in level 5 state easily.

Third, Accel only had in his mind what the scientists told him. I don't think any of them know the point of any of this besides Aliester.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

Well, Misaka is a family name. Misaki is a first name so that already I'm sure makes it easier. I usually call her Mikoto to differentiate from the clones and from Misaki who would otherwise only be 1 letter different. I'm kind of confused why she seems to be the one character that is frequently referred to by the fans by their family name.

Because that's how she is called by the majority of the characters in-universe.I mean,isn't that usually the case?Doesn't matter what a character's actual name is,as long as the fans have known her by a particular name,that's what they're gonna remember her by.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
Because that's how she is called by the majority of the characters in-universe.I mean,isn't that usually the case?Doesn't matter what a character's actual name is,as long as the fans have known her by a particular name,that's what they're gonna remember her by.

But then isn't Misaki usually called by Shokuhou in universe?
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
pikrodafni wrote:

But then isn't Misaki usually called by Shokuhou in universe?

Rather than Shokuhou,most of the times she is called by her full name(especially by Misaka)and since the Misaki part sounds more like a first name,that's what stuck.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
That's why we should all call her Biribiri. No confusion there.

Yeah best Railgun episode yet. Y'all should take Gensei's word as that - his word. There's nothing to say Level 6 is even an actual thing, much less %. The levels don't even mean "raw output" anyway.
micah007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Great episodespoiler[. Next episode or two should cement how ethereal, celestial, and almost incomprehensible a "near" Level 6 is supposed to be. As Misaka gets stronger and stronger the gap between the prior levels is at best severely exponential if not infinite.] On a character note Gunha and Touma definitely make an entertaining team, I enjoyed the synergy they had between each other and as the reviewer said it was interesting to see Touma somewhat subdued by a character with a presence grander than his.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
This is probably going to be the best three episode stretch (11-13) of the whole season, so enjoy it.

After so many years we finally get to see the number seven animated in all his gutsy glory. Touma finally getting back into the spotlight and teaming up with Gunha cements this as one of the best Railgun episodes to date, easily overshadowing some of the better moments of the expanded SIster's arc.

Railgun is definitely at its best when it's focused on the Index plot.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I think it's understandable when you have a franchise that has been going on so long that there are over spoiler[two dozen] (non-clone) characters who share the same last name. Laughing

For a second, I had trouble figuring out who you were talking about. Then I remembered spoiler[the entire Kihara Family]...
Stiles wrote:
This is probably going to be the best three episode stretch (11-13) of the whole season, so enjoy it.

After so many years we finally get to see the number seven animated in all his gutsy glory. Touma finally getting back into the spotlight and teaming up with Gunha cements this as one of the best Railgun episodes to date, easily overshadowing some of the better moments of the expanded Sister's arc.

This is hands down the best portion of the entire Railgun manga. Kamijou teaming up with Sogiita is one of the best pairings in the entire franchise due to how exceedingly rare Sogiita is used and how well they play off each other. Sogiita is quite literally Index's 'comic-book superhero' character in terms of physical feats but Kamijou encapsulates the comic-book superhero's mentality better than any other character in the franchise. Also worth mentioning is that Kamijou is the only character in the franchise that has met with, interacted or worked with all of the revealed Level 5s.

While this entire event is one of the highlights of Index as a whole, at the time it was being serialized, it was eclipsed by the sheer jaw-dropping Kamijou focused events occurring in the simultaneously published light novels (New Testament Volumes 8-10 for those interested).
Stiles wrote:
Railgun is definitely at its best when it's focused on the Index plot.

I'll go one step further and state that the objective best episodes of the entire Railgun anime are the ones where the titular hyper-competent female MC is the damsel-in-distress and the "boring" MC that everyone loves to hate on steals the leading role. Truth hurts sometimes. Razz

Back on topic, the question that should always be asked when going through the Index side story manga arcs is: How does this lead back to the main plot and characters in Index?

One of the reasons why Accelerator's Necromancer Arc was such a tough slog was because the answer to that question was that it doesn't; unless you have a very thorough understanding of who the main players are in the final arc of the New Testament LN series and how they operate as well as some of the concepts of Thelema which are described in detail during that phase.

Railgun arcs are far more transparent in how they lead back to the main story. Because every major arc leads in some way back to Kamijou Touma (as well as some of the core principles regarding esper powers greatly expanded on in the light novels). Take the low-key stand out scene from this episode with Shokuhou Misaki and Kamijou. This entire season has been building up that she's a character with severe trust issues due to her ability. Even the people in her clique who are her closest friends, she nonchalantly takes control of. And yet, despite all of this characterization towards how cynical she is to the point of being antagonistic to Misaka Mikoto, the one person in Academy City she has 100% trust in is Kamijou Touma. That's how significant of an existence he is to her. When this moment happened during the manga serialization we still had no idea what that relationship was; it wasn't until after this arc concluded did Kamachi reveal the story in the light novels (New Testament Volume 11).

Last edited by OH&S on Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14