• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Worst Anime Relationships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
bennyl wrote:
At this point, the NPC hate for Shield Hero is just funny.
I mean the romance is just all sorts of messy. She is a slave to him but instead of wanting to stand on equal footing with him she instead wants to remain his slave because she views that as love. I get it she really loves him and all but she doesn't have to keep the spell on her. It feels less like love and more like a dependency. And I'm willingly to overlook the father daughter type of relationship they had in the beginning.

Devotion and dependence are too different things. It doesn't matter however, the author destroyed her own premise when she said the list was only about bad romantic relationships, and Naofumi has never expressed any romantic interest in Raphtallia at all during the anime. So by her own admission this was click bait and nothing more than a long winded way to shout "Shield man bad!" again.
Naofumi may not express interest in Raphtalia but she expresses interest in him. Its a one sided romance that only makes it worst because it feels like codependency. I just hope the anime tries to make Naofumi address this because if they don't its not going to sit well with people.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
P.S i have a question? why is that when it comes to master and slave contract everyone talks about SH but no one mentions other titles that had a similiar thing if not worse? Like How Not To Summon a Demon Lord, The Familiar of Zero and even Death March in a parallel world? I feel like SH gets singled out a bit too much.

It's probably just that Shield Hero is currently more popular than those other shows. This article seems to have picked representative shows for different types of bad relationships to keep it more interesting (it would be boring if it was 5 yandere relationships or something). And the ones that were picked are some of the best known versions of those relationships. Love Hina is representative of the abusive comedy relationships from back in the day. Oreimo is representative of incest relationships, etc. When it comes to weird slave relationships, no show that has it is more well known than Shield Hero.

Last edited by Panoptican on Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:10 am Reply with quote
I've often wondered what would be my 1st post and, what would make me finally stop lurking after 7 or so years of lurking and now I know. Despite being tempted a bunch to create an account and respond to some people's posts and certain topics, this is the one, haha ha

Anyway, onto the sub at hand, 1st, I agree with the poll results but I put Tsubasa on hold early into S2 and haven't seen no. 4-5. (Mean while 1-2 I've seen fully)

As for the article itself... (Edit: Side note: The 5 on this list I've seen fully, so u know I know what am saying on em) I agree with no 5 and 4 on this list, but completely and wholeheartedly disagree with 3-1 on this list, and i DO MEAN completely. (sorta)
Lets start with why. 1st, just based on the article's name? these shouldn't be on the list, heck, i almost didn't read the intro to the article as I sometimes skip thsoe and on a whim read it, only then did it make more sense why Future Dairy was on here, yes, u should NOT do those things in a relationship, however, thats not the title of the article thus, this is invalid made more invalid becus the authors put their own personal feelings and beliefs into this which explains why No 3 & 1 r on this list. Look, regardless of how u feel about incest, its wrong to look down on someone, period. Ur not ok with sibling and or parent relationships with their siblings/children? (Children that r adults btw) Thats fine , but putting anyone who is in love with their sibling/parent and vice versa on this list as claiming it as "the worst Anime Relationships" is messed up and wrong. All ur doing is atking people irl and in anime form too. Not ok, not cool. I can think of PLENTY of anime with romanctic relationships that are wrong and deserve to be on this list than Oreimo and Shield Hero, and that bring me to no 1.

Ok, not gonna touch on this too much cus slavery is wrong but when u let ur feelings on that cloud ur judgement and ignore common sense, yeah u done goofed lol I don't see ANY prob with how Shield Hero pulls Noafumi & Raphtalia's relationship off with the whole "slave" thing. Yes its a crest, yes its a pact, yes there is some weight to it. Based on S1 alone however, he has never treated her like a slave and ANYONE who bothered to see the anime's 1st season in full would know that. Also, its not like the dozens of anime out there and i should know, I've seen well over 200 days worth of anime in my whole life. So, if anyone tells u its more the same old and Naofumi is OP they're wrong. (I mean, u may as well call any SJ char that worked their ass off to get where they are OP) But back on track here, the way this article is worded just ATKS the anime on this list, Shield hero tots didn't deserve the words spoken here cus they're lies (Sorry but they r, go watch the anime in full please)

Now, Future Dairy on the other hand, yeah i can TOTS see why its on this list, but, someone clearly didn't see the anime's ova ep (Sequel that ended it) and also prolly dropped the anime early on by the looks of it. As someone else said, Yuki ALSO uses and does things that r messed up just as Yuno does, that includes to Yno herself, sure not as messed up as Yuno, but hey, he still does. And as for their romance? They both spoiler[come to love each other in the end] and spoiler[Yuno sees how twisted she became and repents and they both end up together and r better people by the end of it]

Anyway, this is all i have to say on this, if anyone disagrees or agree with me thats fine, but I still say this article is wrong becus the authors let their own personal feelings and beliefs cloud their judgement and thus ranking and also, most likely dropped 2 of these anime thus also affecting the list
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
You forget Super Lovers Haru and Ren in the list. Probably it would be number one.
And if you go after Shield Hero because of the slave crest, you forget that years before there was a anime that also have a crest and the one with it suffers allot, what doesn't happens with Raphtalia. Don't you remembers Zero no Tsukaima? Saito was really treated like a slave by Louise.

Slow day at the office (or at home) I see...
With most anime on hold, noting better to dig up and dust up some old skeletons to spice things up.

Well, with Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaosh (Redo of Healer) coming up in the near future, and with so many LN and manga that will probably be animated in the future to make some peoples heads blow-up, the anime future will be very bright in therms of discussion.

For now, stay safe, ANN staff and ANN forum posters.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon May 18, 2020 10:07 am; edited 5 times in total
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
I knew I'd hate this list. But oddly enough I think you missed some truly toxic relationships in anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 am Reply with quote
Consider this the only warning you will get Hiroki not Takuya. This also applies for everyone else. The List is a fun interest piece-esque column. There are always many more choices that could be put on. It's a top 5 or 10 list, not top 100. If your personal picks Hiroki not Takuya did not make it on, too bad. People can have differing opinions without others being condescending and insulting about it. Claiming the columnists have no intelligence or lack depth is not accepted. It's also not the first time you have done this. If you do it again you will be placed on moderation.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
NisaRF

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Who are we, trying to judge other people's (or character's) relationships?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't put Shield Hero here, and for the record, this isn't me trying to defend the series (I've barely seen it). Yes, the slave angle is extremely discomforting, and there's also the age gap that I'm surprised the article didn't mention considering how it's the anime's biggest meme. But there's one crucial detail: Raphtalia likes Naofumi, but Naofumi doesn't feel the same way. At the most, he sees her only as an adoptive daughter, not at all a romantic partner. Considering the kind of show Shield Hero is, I wouldn't be surprised if it DID become romantic, but as of now, we can't really put something that isn't mutual here.

I have three others to give shout-outs to:

First, Saito and Louise from The Familiar of Zero. There aren't that many taboos involved here, but everything that can go wrong in a normal relationship DOES go wrong here. For starters, there is literally no precedent for the characters to like each other other than that they are main characters who spend a lot of time together. At least most other shows with main characters quickly falling in love have a catalyst moment - this show does not. Meanwhile, neither partner is a good one. Louise has all the trademarks of an abuser: she constantly beats up Saito, refuses to let him see other girls, and is always belittling him for being human - and poor. Saito, meanwhile, is a massive player who is always thinking about the bodies of women other than Louise and, while not actively seeking to cheat on her, ALWAYS does so when other women make a move on him. And in the end, spoiler[he's also basically married to Louise and Tiffania at the same time, and polygamy is a big no-no regardless of context].

Next, Chise and Elias from The Ancient Magus' Bride. I still remember when this series was first coming out, the anime fanbase was basically split into two camps: one where they were heavily anticipating the series more than any other that season because of Wit Studio, and the other where they just could not get behind the series for committing pretty much every taboo in the book. Massive age difference involving a teenager and an adult? Check. Different species? Check. Stockholm syndrome slave angle? Check. spoiler[Trying to murder an innocent girl just because you fiance is spending a lot of time with her]? CHECK. But what really irked me about the romance in this series is not the taboos, but that this series did not need romance to work. You could literally take away everything about the bride angle, and not only would you lift most of the taboos, but NOTHING about the story would change. Aside from a few jokes in the second episode, one scene around the midway point, and the final scene, this series could easily be seen as a decidedly more wholesome story about a master helping his apprentice overcome severe depression. You don't need romance to tell that story, and what was already put on paper would remain 95% intact.

And finally, Daikichi and Rin from Usagi Drop. We all know what happened, I don't even feel comfortable thinking about it, so... yeah, I'll just leave it at that.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly it's been a very long time since I've seen it, but honestly I thought the relationship in Love Hina sort of standard-bad instead of stand-out-bad. The guy being the punching bag for comedy was super standard. It also didn't come off like it was attempting in any way to be reality to me. The series also featured a flying turtle, so...

Though surely there's tons of extremely bad anime relationships to choose from, the one I thought of is Golden Time. Kouko is a literal stalker, though not to yandere levels. I started out hating her for her being a stalker, thought maybe she was getting better, and then nooope she went back to her awful ways.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I wouldn't put Shield Hero here, and for the record, this isn't me trying to defend the series (I've barely seen it). Yes, the slave angle is extremely discomforting, and there's also the age gap that I'm surprised the article didn't mention considering how it's the anime's biggest meme. But there's one crucial detail: Raphtalia likes Naofumi, but Naofumi doesn't feel the same way. At the most, he sees her only as an adoptive daughter, not at all a romantic partner. Considering the kind of show Shield Hero is, I wouldn't be surprised if it DID become romantic, but as of now, we can't really put something that isn't mutual here.

I have three others to give shout-outs to:

First, Saito and Louise from The Familiar of Zero. There aren't that many taboos involved here, but everything that can go wrong in a normal relationship DOES go wrong here. For starters, there is literally no precedent for the characters to like each other other than that they are main characters who spend a lot of time together. At least most other shows with main characters quickly falling in love have a catalyst moment - this show does not. Meanwhile, neither partner is a good one. Louise has all the trademarks of an abuser: she constantly beats up Saito, refuses to let him see other girls, and is always belittling him for being human - and poor. Saito, meanwhile, is a massive player who is always thinking about the bodies of women other than Louise and, while not actively seeking to cheat on her, ALWAYS does so when other women make a move on him. And in the end, spoiler[he's also basically married to Louise and Tiffania at the same time, and polygamy is a big no-no regardless of context].

Next, Chise and Elias from The Ancient Magus' Bride. I still remember when this series was first coming out, the anime fanbase was basically split into two camps: one where they were heavily anticipating the series more than any other that season because of Wit Studio, and the other where they just could not get behind the series for committing pretty much every taboo in the book. Massive age difference involving a teenager and an adult? Check. Different species? Check. Stockholm syndrome slave angle? Check. spoiler[Trying to murder an innocent girl just because you fiance is spending a lot of time with her]? CHECK. But what really irked me about the romance in this series is not the taboos, but that this series did not need romance to work. You could literally take away everything about the bride angle, and not only would you lift most of the taboos, but NOTHING about the story would change. Aside from a few jokes in the second episode, one scene around the midway point, and the final scene, this series could easily be seen as a decidedly more wholesome story about a master helping his apprentice overcome severe depression. You don't need romance to tell that story, and what was already put on paper would remain 95% intact.

And finally, Daikichi and Rin from Usagi Drop. We all know what happened, I don't even feel comfortable thinking about it, so... yeah, I'll just leave it at that.

I wouldn't put Usagi Drop on the list solely because the creepy parts are only in the manga. The anime comes across as rather wholesome - I'd recommend it to nearly anyone with the caveat to NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances follow up be even so much as reading a plot summary of the manga.

I agree with the other two entirely - especially with Familiar of Zero. If it wasn't for being magically bound to her, Saito had more chemistry and healthier relationships with pretty much every female character in the cast - even the villainous ones.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
One typo:

Quote:
Much of Love Hina's comedy is built around Keitaro's relationship Naru,

Shouldn't it be written "relationship with Naru,"?
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:36 pm Reply with quote
So it doesn't look like this point has been brought up yet but I want to start by saying that a slave/romance relationship IS absolutely terrible, I agree with that sentiment.

That said, in Shield Hero Raphtalia and Naofumi aren't in a relationship yet by the end of the anime. And of course the plot contrivance of "No, I want to remain a slave" exists, but another plot contrivance is before Naofumi is even aware of Raphtalia's feelings in the novel, spoiler[she has already been forcibly removed from being a slave and does not go back to being one continuing as another hero and Naofumi's equal before her feelings are revealed to him.]

I understand wanting to highlight a horrible dynamic to people in a current popular work, but this is leaning a bit into misinformation. All the love to ANN and all it's writers, you guys do a wonderful job and apologies for adding to the heap of difficult forum posts.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
You forget Super Lovers Haru and Ren in the list. Probably it would be number one.
And if you go after Shield Hero because of the slave crest, you forget that years before there was a anime that also have a crest and the one with it suffers allot, what doesn't happens with Raphtalia. Don't you remembers Zero no Tsukaima? Saito was really treated like a slave by Louise.

With most anime on hold, noting better to dig up and dust up some old skeletons to spice things up.

Well, with Kaifuku Jutsushi no Yarinaosh (Redo of Healer) coming up in the near future, and with so many LN and manga that will probably be animated in the future to make some peoples heads blow-up, the anime future will be very bright in therms of discussion.

The difference is Saito is given a crest that gives him unbelievable power, while Raphtalia's slave crest only benefits the owner. I don't like Saito and Louise's relationship either and I found Raphtalia and Naofumi to be above there (Inuyasha and Kagome is also bad)

It doesn't look bright since the discussion was manly a few people on the site didn't like the show and the discussion become ANN attacks Shield Hero. People should step back and realize sometimes people will have a bad reaction to a show you like. If people learned that, I think the anime community would be a lot better
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

The difference is Saito is given a crest that gives him unbelievable power, while Raphtalia's slave crest only benefits the owner. I don't like Saito and Louise's relationship either and I found Raphtalia and Naofumi to be above there (Inuyasha and Kagome is also bad)

It doesn't look bright since the discussion was manly a few people on the site didn't like the show and the discussion become ANN attacks Shield Hero. People should step back and realize sometimes people will have a bad reaction to a show you like. If people learned that, I think the anime community would be a lot better

I don't think ANN did themselves any favors when they posted an initial review of "Kill It With Fire" when Shield Hero started (rather than the usual 0-5 stars). There are now a lot of people who will be unwilling to see any statement this site makes about that show as being fair - even if it is.

I'm not claiming that the post from "The List" is fair or not, that column has always been subjective, perhaps even more so than the typical anime/manga review.

I watched several episodes myself and didn't find it exceptionally good or bad, although my suspension of disbelief was permanently broken in the pope fight. That the 4 of them could argue like that in such a situation and not all die is one of the biggest plot holes I have ever witnessed.
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Bzzt. The slave crest does benefit Raphtalia. Aside from the political and social protections it provides her, there is the fact that any slave of the Shield Hero gains a substantial boost to the rate at which they level up/gain power.

She may not have been thinking of that when she returned to being his slave. But it is still there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9