• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kemono Jihen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:46 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Yeah but no amount of reading will leave you able to conduct your own business at the age of eight. And outperforming even adults who do have experience (I guess being able to sweat elixirs helps but...).
Oh, yeah, that. I didn't really take that part seriously, but I'm hoping it's just so that she can stop appearing entirely without it seeming like Shiki abandoned his family to poverty or something.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Oh, yeah, that. I didn't really take that part seriously, but I'm hoping it's just so that she can stop appearing entirely without it seeming like Shiki abandoned his family to poverty or something.

Honestly I was looking forward to her getting added to the main cast because the process of healing her wounds as she adapts to a new kinder environment (which theoretically is what happens with Kabane but he's just too composed and adaptable) while Shiki slowly grows into his newly found role as an older brother seemed like an endearing arc.
But instead she instantly turns into a savvy mesugaki more interested in her business than her family... disappointing, but there's still room for the more interesting elements.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
Aya isn't going into business for herself. She's going to work with Oba-san who looks like a pretty canny operator. I think people are going a bit far with the "she's only eight, how can she know about business?" line.

And, really, how can you not find this scene just adorable? They're both so clueless. "How can I become your number one?" "I have no idea."

wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
And, really, how can you not find this scene just adorable? They're both so clueless. "How can I become your number one?" "I have no idea."
Ehhhhhh, I have a fair number of problems with "boy meets girl" tropes, especially when it's either person's first same-age opposite-sex contact ever, so I've mostly been enjoying their relationship for the comical subversions. They make cute almost-siblings, though.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for my precious half-zombie son to be aro/ace. He's still trying to make sense of basic empathy and personhood.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But let me end on the most important thing: did you notice the names of some of the stores in the Harajuku scenes? Égg and Jesus Crêpes are hands-down my favorite weird anime store names since Tomato House in Nazca.

First, yay! Someone else has watched Nazca!

I agree those are great names, though Doors and Cute Box are fun too. But what I thought was interestingly weird was the blink and you'll miss it detail of what seemed to be Jesus Crepes' slogan or something, in English:

I was born long ago
I am the chosen, I'm the one.
I have come to save the day
And I won't leave until I'm done.

I guess Jesus Crepes wants to be your number one!
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
I was skimming that section again and also noticed pixel-art graffiti of a Mario ? block on one of the walls. Truly a haven for subculture.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
it was nice that the story acknowledged that they weren’t just monsters just because they weren’t recognizably human.

I get what you mean, and I agree with the sentiment, but in fact they're not human at all (unless good ol' uncle was playing with multi-species recombinants, which, after rethinking my last comment, I wouldn't put past him). Neither is Aya, though she can apparently make herself appear human, just as she did for the kemono in the shopping district. Maybe if they'd been spared, she could've done the same for them, but that raises different issues on the theme you're detecting about who and what needs to be "fixed."

Yeah, Aya sure did a 180 in mid-episode. Rolling Eyes ::sigh::

Aya is probably half-human, or at least partially human, (and Uncle is probably her father,..ew). Most of the other kemono in the series have not been human, but most portrayed as human-like and sentient, so I should have wrote “recognizably human-like”. Point is, they couldn’t help the way they were born, any more than Aya could, and they weren’t inherently “bad”. They didn’t deserve to be killed. They didn’t need to be “fixed”, either, they could have just been allowed to live peacefully in the woods or something, but Inari doesn’t like aberrations or, I’m guessing, anyone but her doing experiments.

I love the relationship between Kabane and Kon, and they’re young and clueless, so I wouldn’t call it a romance, just two kids with hard family situations learning how to be friends. It’s heartwarming and sweet! <3
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
So I was the only one who noticed Aya and her mother have the same cowlick? The only difference in the two is that in place of hair, Aya would seem to have spider silk. So her mother is her mother, her father, well, "he" is the spider silk, I thought that would be obvious at this point. If it was a human, any form of a human, that society would have been silk based healthcare at that point so its genesis has to be very, very unique.

"Aya certainly acts like no 8 year old that I know of!"

And clearly I was wrong.
DracoInduperator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I love how in episode 8 we see Kabane really display emotions for one of the first times. In fact IIRC the is the only time we have seen him genuinely angry. Most of the time he's pretty flat and accepting of everything, even getting decapitated and stuffed into a box didn't really bother him that much. But Shiki's situation here has made him truly angry.
Then in episode 9 we get to see him and Kon be truly precious cinnamon buns. The change is just adorable, and I can't help but want to protect the two of them. Very Happy
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am Reply with quote
Just posting this one little note for the squeamish ahead of the review: content warning. Nothing is outright shown or stated, yet, but the very clear implications are so much worse than anything in Shiki's arc.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Just posting this one little note for the squeamish ahead of the review: content warning. Nothing is outright shown or stated, yet, but the very clear implications are so much worse than anything in Shiki's arc.

You are not kidding. Wow. Great job with letting our minds fill in the horrible, horrible blanks all on their own, though!
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The "one male is born every 100 years" thing always makes me think of Gerudo, but I really didn't expect the yuki onna to be snow Gerudo.

wolf10 wrote:

Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
Can someone please license this Manga already in the US. It’s bad enough when you don’t know if a series you like will get a second season. But it’s worse when you don’t even know if you will be able to find out what happens next.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Noooo. Oh, noooooo. This is Kemono Jihen. You don't ask for more, you beg, "please don't make my boys suffer anymore." And an apathetic God denies your plea for salvation.

Yeah, so I have since discovered that Akira's flashback this week was anime-original, kind of. The full flashback from Yui's perspective will most likely happen later, and leaves only enough to the imagination to stay in Jump SQ. Good news first: there weren't (literal) chains involved. Bad news is... well, uh, gee. Um.

I think I now know why Viz refuses to touch this series with a ten foot pole, in spite of otherwise being Shueisha's localizer of choice for their certified hits. It dives headfirst into some really ugly, stigmatized (but important!) shit, tackling the underlying horror of a situation many, many authors have played for titillation (even just this season: see Redo of Healer, episode 1). Probably the heaviest few chapters of shounen manga I have ever read, and not in that clean-cut and dare-I-say "cool" edgy way like certain other hit Jump properties. At the same time, it deserves to be animated, needs to, even, so I'm hoping they don't cut too much.

That sure was a good looking episode, though. The detailed cross-section of the castle as it was being built was a nice touch. And oh, those storyboards! Such art.

Crying or Very sad
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What we didn't know, or at least didn't realize, was that yuki-onoko are only born once every hundred years, which makes the twins very special.

Actually, we did know. Because of that Ganondorf has been on the back of my mind for a long time.
Although that same situation made me not realize that these yuki onna might not be able to do with some random male... I assumed the imprisoned male was a random hiker that may not have been around for long (since apparently they aren't properly feeding him). There's also the weird detail that giving birth to males kills the yuki onna. Still horrifying but slightly less so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8