• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Gets New Anime Film as Sequel to 2013 Rebellion Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
You need to chill out uno111. You've had several posts removed for being unnecessarily rude. People can in fact have a different opinion than your own without you being rude and belligerent towards them. I already sent you a PM on this matter so I suggest you read it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
uno111 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

That's not the ending I saw; Madoka's wish changed everything because it was strong enough to rewrite the laws of Entropy itself, rather than just being powered by it. The fate of every Magical Girl was to die from a witch or become one. Madoka's wish changed that, end of story.

My point is that Madoka barely changed anything aside from the thing that her fellow magical girls are fighting. The wraiths aren't that different from witches, essentially turning everything back to square one

In the ending of the original TV series, Magical Girls no longer become Witches, they no longer destroy everything they fought so hard for. That is the main thing.

Yes, they died fighting Witches, and now they will die fighting Wraiths, but it is a clean death. They don't become monsters, full of regret and self loathing.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

In the ending of the original TV series, Magical Girls no longer become Witches, they no longer destroy everything they fought so hard for. That is the main thing.

Yes, they died fighting Witches, and now they will die fighting Wraiths, but it is a clean death. They don't become monsters, full of regret and self loathing.

I don't think we know much regarding how "clean" their deaths were before (when they became witches) or after. The only change here is a relatively minor one: witchdom becomes "taken into the void". Both are rather vague. Witches don't appear to be self-aware so it's difficult to say what witchdom is like for the witch. "Taken into the void" is also fairly vague and it doesn't sound very pleasant to me. The only thing we can say for sure is that the act of transforming into a witch seems painful while the act of being taken by the law of cycles seems calm. There is of course the ideological difference too, but all that seems rather insignificant when compared against the problems in the world: QB is back and up to no good, the girls are still putting themselves in mortal danger, and humanity is still being attacked by supernatural monsters, etc.
The TV could easily have been written to have an entirely different ending--one in which there simply were no more monsters, no more incubators, no more girls having to fight eldritch abominations. But instead the end situation was deliberately written to be so nearly identical to the beginning situation that I can't help but see it as a message of futility. The message is that nobody, not even God(ess) or a complete reboot of the universe, can save humanity from its fate.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm in, in love with the characters and universe with a dose of fans going at it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
I think it’s made pretty clear that losing all hope, becoming a witch and killing or being killed by your friends is supposed to be a more horrific fate than whatever god-mode-Madoka does to them, and in the new world Kyubey no longer needs to specifically set up situations where he can feed on their despair making the whole setup less based upon cruelty, but it’s certainly far from a happy ending. Magical girls are still fighting and dying and Madoka is eternally stuck in a sugar-coated version of the position of spoiler[Archer] from the Fate series.

As far as I interpreted it, Rebellion was basically Urobuchi writing a storybook ending where everyone is wished back with the dragonballs and lives happily ever after, and then tricking the audience into seeing it as some sort of chilling tragedy by having Homura do some moustache-twirling while creepy music plays in the background. Homura did the same thing for half the original series — acting ambiguously evil while failing to resolve associated misunderstandings is her shtick — but this time the audience is fooled in addition to the other characters. Pretty clever.

There are plenty of ways her makeshift perfect world might turn out to be unviable long-term, though, so a new movie seems quite reasonable to me.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
(I get why people still dislike it, though, especially since it's pretty common knowledge that the ending of it was specifically rewritten in order to allow for future installments in the franchise.)

I already mentioned this, but that seems to be a misunderstanding of paratext. The ending was never rewritten. The whole movie's script and outline was still in the works when Shinbo indicated he spoiler[wanted all the characters alive and together by the end.] Urobuchi didn't tack on anything. He took it as advice when he was in the process of writing the story. I think the misunderstanding came about because Urobuchi said the original plan was spoiler[to end the story with Homura being taken away by Madoka.] Due to some criticism by fans and staff, statements by Iwakami, and Shinbo's open-ended suggestion, he changed his mind and then incorporated it into the final script.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5