• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Fourth update is live and it's the last day to vote in the poll!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Favorites

1. Laid-Back Camp season 2
2. Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
3. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! X
4. Fruits Basket the Final
5. Re:Zero season 2, part 2
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Refreshing to see that none of the review staff did would have been the obvious pandering and brain-dead move of proclaiming Mugen Train as the Movie of the Year...And in this season of good wishes I appreciate that Lynzee and I agree on at least one thing Zombieland Rules Idol Anime!!
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Refreshing to see that none of the review staff did would have been the obvious pandering and brain-dead move of proclaiming Mugen Train as the Movie of the Year...And in this season of good wishes I appreciate that Lynzee and I agree on at least one thing Zombieland Rules Idol Anime!!

I skipped doing best movie because the only one I had seen was Mugen Train and I didn't think it deserved the title.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well uh I can't say I'm surprised at least about EVA being each critic's top choice for Film of the Year (or at least each critic that decided to write a blurb for that section).

I know I definitely saw plenty of anime films this year with Belle, Pompo the Cinephile, Josee the Tiger & the Fish, Stranger by the Shore, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, Mugen Train, MHA: World Heroes Mission, Given, Sailor Moon Eternal, the finale films for both F/SN Heaven's Feel and Violet Evergarden. And while it might have been nice to read about more than just EVA... I can't deny I would have probably placed it first too. Although that being said, shout out to the Bang Dream HM even though I haven't seen any of the franchise!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:39 pm Reply with quote
With all the staff picks now in, here's the summary list. 34 different titles are represented (out of a possible 55), with 10 getting multiple mentions.

The first number indicates total Top 5 appearances and the number in parenthesis indicates first place votes. Tiebreakers went to most #1 placings first, highest average placing second, and alphabetical order after that.

ODDTAXI - 6 (2)
The Ranking of Kings - 3 (2)
SSSS.Dynazenon - 3 (2)
Megalobox 2: Nomad - 3 (1)
The Heike Stort - 3 (1)
Sk8 The Infinity - 3 (1)
Kageki Shoujo!! - 3
BEASTARS s2 - 3
Sonny Boy - 2 (1)
The Case Study of Vanitas - 2
Fruits Basket the Final - 1 (1)
Idoly Pride - 1 (1)
Evangelion 3.0+1.0 - 1*
Kemono Jihen - 1
Super Cub - 1
Vivy -Flourite Eye's Song- - 1
86 - 1
Attack on Titan Final Season - 1
Jujustu Kaisen - 1
My Hero Academia s5 - 1
The aquatope on white sand - 1
Those Snow White Notes - 1
Usa Musume Pretty Derby s2 - 1
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun - 1
Love Live! Superstar!! - 1
Otherside Picnic - 1
Shadows House - 1
Star Wars: Visions - 1
Zombie Land Saga Revenge - 1
Backflip!! - 1
IDOLISH7 Third Beat! - 1
Mieruko-chan - 1
Pui Pui Molcar - 1
Tropical-Rouge! Precure - 1

I put an asterisk by Evangelion 3.0+1.0 because while it only appeared on one Top 5 list, it swept the Best Movie list. Hence I have to wonder if its standing might have been skewed by people not putting it in their Top 5 because it was already in their Movie slot.

Anyway, ODDTAXI seems to be the overwhelming critical winner, with double the mentions of any other title and none of those six mentions being lower than 2nd. Will be a bit surprised if that holds true for the Mega-Poll (where popularity tends to be a bigger factor), but I've been surprised on the results of the Mega-Poll before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Refreshing to see that none of the review staff did would have been the obvious pandering and brain-dead move of proclaiming Mugen Train as the Movie of the Year...

Even though it debuted in the U.S. in 2021, Mugen Train is a 2020 title. (In fact, it was the highest-grossing movie in the world in 2020, IIRC.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I voted for:

Mushoku Tensei
To Your Eternity
Re:zero S2 Part 2
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun S2
Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town

Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town was a pleasant surprise and I might be about the only person to vote for it in the megapoll. It was simply hilarious. Not much to say about Iruma-kun, it was more of Iruma-kun. Re:zero S2 Part 2 was probably to me the weakest part of Re:zero (not counting the OVAs). My memory of why is already getting a bit fuzzy but I feel like the whole of that 2nd cour was spend in like flashbacks, tying loose ends and slowly doing all the necessary stuff to bring the story arc to a climax. All the cool shit and the plot twists happened in the first half. To Your Eternity was fantastic, but the last arc started suffering from weaker writing. The story kinda started using shortcuts and plot conveniences to move the story along.

I haven't seen 86 yet, it was one of my most anticipated titles this year. It's unfortunate it has suffered from production issues. Attack on Titan Final Season and Jujutsu Kaisen's 2nd half would replace two titles from my list if they were eligible.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Will be a bit surprised if that holds true for the Mega-Poll (where popularity tends to be a bigger factor), but I've been surprised on the results of the Mega-Poll before.

Odd Taxi is fairly popular, I definitely expect it to be in the top 5 at least
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Will the Mega Poll show the scores for all shows or just the top ten like last year's Mega Poll?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
With all the staff picks now in, here's the summary list. 34 different titles are represented (out of a possible 55), with 10 getting multiple mentions.

ODDTAXI - 6 (2)
The Ranking of Kings - 3 (2)
SSSS.Dynazenon - 3 (2)
Megalobox 2: Nomad - 3 (1)
The Heike Story - 3 (1)
Sk8 The Infinity - 3 (1)
Kageki Shoujo!! - 3
BEASTARS s2 - 3
Sonny Boy - 2 (1)
The Case Study of Vanitas - 2

Funny enough - sub out Beastars S2 for Fruits Basket, and this is literally my top ten, albeit in a different order
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Well uh I can't say I'm surprised at least about EVA being each critic's top choice for Film of the Year (or at least each critic that decided to write a blurb for that section). I know I definitely saw plenty of anime films this year with Belle, Pompo the Cinephile, Josee the Tiger & the Fish, Stranger by the Shore, Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop, Mugen Train, MHA: World Heroes Mission, Given, Sailor Moon Eternal, the finale films for both F/SN Heaven's Feel and Violet Evergarden....
Thanks for the list. Holy cow, I think you saw all the movies that were possible this year! I highlighted your understatement and those titles I saw. Not being an EVA fan that one was missing but fans seem to have really appreciated it so I can only say "well done, I guess". Sorry Demon Slayer fans, Mugen Train I though was a little lower than midrange OK. Violet Evergarden being dear to me, I thought it was wonderful, something I had been hoping to see for years but still hard to rank as the Best of 2021 without the proviso "* that I saw". Stranger on the Shore I appreciated but as I'm not really "in the fandom" I thought it was Not Too Shabby.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Chris, for mentioning BanG Dream! FILM LIVE 2nd Stage, and not just for breaking up the clean sweep of the category by Evangelion. Concert movies are unusual things, and hard to really do successfully; only a few like Stop Making Sense and The Last Waltz have ever been popular outside their artists’ fanbases. Even then, much as I like Green Day and My Chemical Romance, I’ve never been able to sit through Bullet in a Bible or The Black Parade Is Dead!. So credit indeed to Sanzigen for being able to create a completely fictional concert venue, and then populate it with these bands for over an hour. For that reason, I had 2nd Stage in my own top 5 when voting the mega poll.

Another nice thing about this concert is that it gives time to new BanG Dream band Morfonica, as well as the three bands that were slighted by the third season of the anime: Afterglow, Pastel*Palettes, and Hello Happy World! If anything, the Palettes might be my favorite part of this concert, as it will never not be funny to me that the one band in this franchise to enjoy professional management is such a shambling train wreck on stage. When a errant fog machine buries the band in smoke, and the drummer uses the cover to put in the contact lenses she forgot backstage, you realize that PasuPare is forever one gaffe away from realizing their true potential as Spinal Täp in frilly skirts and thigh-highs.

When the first FILM LIVE came out on Blu-Ray from Sentai, I noted on Twitter that it might well be the first anime-adjacent concert movie we’d gotten here since Aniplex’s MIKUNOPOLIS. And having driven hundreds of miles and spent $30 a ticket to see delayed screenings of concerts by the real-life Aqours and Roselia, I don’t get why we don’t see more of these. If Funimation and Sentai can somehow recoup their costs on yet another crappy isekai thing that’ll sell like 500 copies (ditto for Discotek and super robot shows from the 70s that only Daryl Surat and Mike Toole have ever heard of), I don’t get why none of them will take a swing with an actual concert Blu-Ray for these idol groups’ devoted fans. Animated BanG Dream is fine for what it is, but I’d love to have access to the genuine article too.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
#1 is easily Megalobox 2. No contest. Watching that show week-to-week was such an experience. It hits almost every note perfectly, and does the rare thing of being a sequel that may not have been warranted but was as equal in quality and story as the original. Both shows were crafted well, and it shows.

Alongside it are going to be 86, Dynazenon, and Zombieland Saga Revenge, and ODDTAXI, in no particular order.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
What I winded up voting for:

Beastars Season 2
Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song
Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop
Megalobox 2: Nomad
Kageki Shoujo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9