• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - If 'JRPG' is a Dirty Word, It's America's Fault

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:51 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I'm talking about Japanese dismissing Western games, and Westerners dismissing JRPGs. Regardless if it's AAA or not, doesn't matter

This just sounds like you're doing a whataboutism to justify what exactly?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Maybe consider there's a difference between being critical of the flaws of the AAA gaming industry made by mostly privileged white devs versus American journalists dismissing RPG games solely because of the country they're from, particularly where most people in said country are BIPOC.

I mean, enurtsol is correct. If you need it worded different, then look at this way: How many people dismiss western cartoons, games, and comics for being 'woke'? The irony of using Japan being BIPOC is ironic since 1) Asians are generally not considered BIPOC and 2) people use Japanese media as an example of media free from 'woke' ideology aka black people and LGBT stuff. There's definately people who judge media made in Japan and the West based on principles alone. People call Japanese media sexist, racist, backwards, and dont like it as a result. Conversely, you have those who complain about American games having ugly characters, LGBT stuff, and other traits that get lumped onto western games.

So let's not act like people don't still do the whole 'weird, primitive Japan' take in 2023. It's just done under the guise of social justice now where we berate Japan for not having western sensibilities. Case in point: this very article "side-eying" YoshiP's comments about diversity. Do we need to bring up all the times people here have told Japan they need to 'get with the times'? Is that not a form of judging Japan with a blanket statement? We have the recipts to back it up, so hopefully people don't pull an Adam Sessler and try to double down rather than admitting to the fact they roll their eyes everytime a new Dragon Quest comes out and it makes a puff-puff joke or a Fire Emblem game sexualizes a 7000 dragon who looks like a 6 year old girl.

Although, hot take, I think that's completely fine to do that. If you dont like Japanese/American games for having basic traits, styles, and approaches you don't like thats your opinion and you're free to have it. People can hate American games for the ugly characters and focus on the shooter genre or cinematic style like Last of Us. People can hate Japanese games for the way they design female characters and the lack of diversity or the anime art style. Don't see a problem with that, personally.

There's a massive aspect you're forgetting in all of this. See, it's one thing if "yo-ge kusoge" was around--and it's a fair sentiment because a lot of the shovelware on NES or SNES was American-made, or older PC games having the worst interfaces (case in point: the original Fallout). It's another thing if, like, Shinji Mikami got invited to E3, got put on a stage, and said something along the lines of, "Jeez, American games are so awful! Maybe if American gamers stopped eating hamburgers long enough to play a good game like Dino Crisis, they could make something decent for a change!", and then got widespread applause across the entire industry for it.

That's basically the power dynamic we're looking at here. A lot of Japanese developers actually had a lot of pointed respect for American games, and we've seen that for a while. But you couldn't get an American developer to say anything decent about a game from Japan.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:25 pm Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:

I mean, enurtsol is correct. If you need it worded different, then look at this way: How many people dismiss western cartoons, games, and comics for being 'woke'? The irony of using Japan being BIPOC is ironic since 1) Asians are generally not considered BIPOC and 2) people use Japanese media as an example of media free from 'woke' ideology aka black people and LGBT stuff. There's definately people who judge media made in Japan and the West based on principles alone. People call Japanese media sexist, racist, backwards, and dont like it as a result. Conversely, you have those who complain about American games having ugly characters, LGBT stuff, and other traits that get lumped onto western games.

The Japanese press never had a moment where it used Pearl Harbor as a joke against American games, unlike the Western press which frequently Orientalized and othered Japanese games, as shown by a bunch of old X Play clips cropping up where the hostility toward Japan can be seen from space.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Western games being laid into for quality definitely feels like a textbook case of "whataboutism", especially when the contrast is years of X-Play being full-on racist to the point writers of the show are claiming Sessler ad-libbed the racist remarks. The quality of a product is one thing, the video clips from X-Play going around are something else.

I am glad that people realize that X-Play was racist thanks to the clips circulating Twitter and that it was wrong to judge things through that xenophobic lens, rather than quality. I mean, you can go "Yeah, it's a licensed game and those always have issues, regardless of the side of the ocean" and most people would find that fine. It's the truth, there are a lot of bad games on both sides of the ocean and there are a lot of specific genres that won't appeal to everyone. The comments that "It's Japanese so it must be bad and weird" were echoed by a lot of people in gaming journalism, and that led to a lot of bad feelings, and a lot of bad games desperately trying to be more Western because they only heard from these journalists and assumed that was what the entire audience thought.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Western games being laid into for quality definitely feels like a textbook case of "whataboutism", especially when the contrast is years of X-Play being full-on racist to the point writers of the show are claiming Sessler ad-libbed the racist remarks.

Guess he ad-libbed Morgan Webb’s comment about Cooking Mama for the Wii where she mentioned due to Mama’s dialog not being dubbed in English “Sounding like she stepped off the sushi-boat”.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm probably going to be treading on some lines here, but we didn't get into anime simply because it was Japanese, did we? Same with how Japanese video game predominately dominated back in the 1990s and early 2000s because they were actually fun and entertaining?

The history of sequential art in the United States since the 1950s is an atrocious one, and it's a bitter horsey pill that goes beyond merely a "political thing." There are many intertwined, nasty intersectioning things too that goes into this history, like how censorship and devaluing of modern art in America by overly obsessed historic romanticists, cultural ethnocentrists, racial supremacists, greedy tyrants, warhawk jingoists, and religious fundamentalists (many of them with these overlapped traits btw) played a huge part in directing American society and what it values. The Video Game Crash of 1983 is one thing; the fact that many shovelware and barely trying game devs in the 1980s and 1990s never valuing pixel art and 2D "because cartoons and animation are silly kiddy garbage" and getting angry that "other people from another country value this garbage" is another.

Also, I'd be extra careful of using that "honorary whites" garbage. If your values mean anything, you'll find it within, not the color of their skin, btw.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I'm talking about Japanese dismissing Western games, and Westerners dismissing JRPGs. Regardless if it's AAA or not, doesn't matter

That Naoki Yoshida is complaining about something that they've been doing for something even earlier?

It's ingrained on both sides now since there weren't people to change things when it started, so as language is alive, we're just gonna let play itself out
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That Naoki Yoshida is complaining about something that they've been doing for something even earlier?

It's ingrained on both sides now since there weren't people to change things when it started, so as language is alive, we're just gonna let play itself out

Missing the point as usual.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:14 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

My point is pretty concise and clear. Maybe ya guys are making a point about something else?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:40 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

My point is pretty concise and clear. Maybe ya guys are making a point about something else?

Yeah, that using whataboutism of this article is dumb.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:47 am Reply with quote
I remember back in the day when people used CRPG to describe western RPGs specifically because RPG usually meant console RPGS which were usually Japanese like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger and the western ones were exclusively on PC due to the complex controls and menus you had to go through. But CRPGs kind of died off in favor of the more action oriented stuff that are basically just shooters or hack and slash games with skill trees.
I think the difference between Dragon Age 1, to 2, and to 3 is pretty damning of how the genre died off and shifted over the years. Now only the indie studios are making CRPGs since they're niche these days. I guess things swapped during the 2000s when we got things like Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls that took over the term RPG and regulated Japanese games into the subgenre of "JRPG".

But yeah, I do notice a lot of animosity towards Japanese stuff. Especially in odd places like Nintendo YouTubers or Smash Bros players who get so heated over seeing Fire Emblem and Xenoblade stuff in Nintendo Directs. Even games like Metroid and Kirby can get them a bit tilted if they seem too 'cutsey' or 'animeish'
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:59 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, that using whataboutism of this article is dumb.

Yet both are going to end the same way. People didn't do anything about the previous time (in Japan); people aren't gonna go out of their way now. It's ingrained for awhile, just facing the reality of the situation. Time will just have to work itself out
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
If you're including non-humanoid races in that definition of diversity then maybe I could see that, but if we're talking strictly real world diversity then I don't think that's true at all.

I'm definitely including nonhuman characters, yes. In a fantasy setting, I think fantastical diversity is kinda important too, ya' know? But even in terms of real-world representation, the Squaresoft games -- at least since IV -- tended to have fairly diverse parties by real-world standards, too, with multiple genders, skin tones and ages represented. The SE-produced FF games have been getting progressively less diverse in every respect, and their justifications for this shift have been getting increasingly skeevy.

Like, how many JRPGs even had black NPCs, let alone party members, prior to Barret Wallace?

And now we're told that black people are too "unrealistic" in a fantasy game with whole nations specifically modeled on historical African cultures.

garfield15 wrote:
That's realistically never gonna catch on because the number of people who play games not from Japan, but also from the eastern sphere is not that high.

I think the real reason it won't catch on is because prescriptivism never works. The term "JRPG" is already too ubiquitous and widespread an appelation. It ain't going away any time soon.

garfield15, cont'd wrote:
This part of your post is actually a perfect example of my previous one about how this was actually an industry wide issue that many people spoke about but many forget to acknowledge. Do you really think Squeenix is the only one who had this problem? In a world where Capcom did this "shit, we need to pivot to the West NOW" push? In a time when studios skipped the PS360 consoles entirely? Where they actually spoke about the troubles of game development as a whole?

In fact do you remember why this mentality began to exist in the first place? There were two parts to it. Yes, there was the trouble with HD development but also at that same time, Western games and particularly Western RPGs began to actually sell well, games that were in many ways the opposite of Japanese ones. The combination of the two led to some serious downturn in the wider Japanese and even devs speaking in that time say they suffered an identity crisis because of it.

Yeah, I don't think it is a "perfect example." Not at all. Japanese games were absolute held in disdain for quite a while during that generation, for a number of reasons. But the term "JRPG" specifically? Not as much. Japanese games, in general, may have been held in low esteem by some, but I don't recall ever seeing the JRPG level, specifically, being used a pejorative. Have you?

I also remember a lot of that low esteem for Japanese games coming from Japanese developers. Like Square-Enix. And Capcom. And Konami.

Anyway, you're spot-on w/ some of the reasons why this happened, but I think you missed a few big ones. I don't think it can be overstated just how much the post-9/11 played into things -- this was a console generation characterized by the "American" console finally usurping the "foreign" console as king of the console space, at least among "gamer" subculture (where the Wii was only ever a footnote); where the most successful games were jingoistic military shooters.

And then there were a bunch of other factors at play, too, like HD game development being so expensive that it pushed many smaller developers out of home console platforms and to handheld or mobile platforms instead. And we really cannot underestimate just how big of an affect the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake had on Japan's games industry -- something they've really only managed to fully recover from in the past few years.

Consider also that the reason "JRPG" crystalized as a name for the genre in the first place was because Japanese developers were, essentially, the only ones routinely developing RPGs for consoles. You might thing that "CRPG" for "console roleplaying game" might be a more appropriate moniker, but "CRPG" had already been in use for computer roleplaying games since the 1980s. There were fundamental differences in how RPGs were built for the two platforms, and that informed how the two genres evolved.

And this PS3/360 console generation ALSO marked the beginning of Western developers developing RPGs for consoles first and foremost. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Divinity 2, the Fables, Dragon Ages and Mass Effects, and so on. This put the two genres in much more direct competition, even as PC players were lamenting the "consolification" of the genre.

TL;DR I'm not denying the (very prevalent) racism of that era. Nor claiming that it no longer exists (it does not). What I'm saying is that I do not think this phenomena was one-sided, nor do I think it was uniquely oriented around the JRPG moniker.

Hm... well, I think that clarified everything I was trying to say. I think.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This whole topic is giving me vivid flashbacks to watching X-Play. Seeing some of the clips now, it's shocking how racist some of the stuff Sessler said was. Back in the day, I didn't even realize it...and apparently Sessler still thinks what he said was OK.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
This whole topic is giving me vivid flashbacks to watching X-Play. Seeing some of the clips now, it's shocking how racist some of the stuff Sessler said was. Back in the day, I didn't even realize it...and apparently Sessler still thinks what he said was OK.

I'm not sure where his true feelings lie since he was defending the updated sensibilities of G4 to the death but now he's defending the old jokes as well that he should be against them now if he was true to his word. Maybe he was just pretending to defend the reboot's updated sensibilities to get big again and now that it's failed he can stop pretending and be his true self. Either way Adam Sessler is a tool and I like seeing him getting dragged after the embarrassment that was the G4 revival but I would agree with him on that particular part. I guess any kind of humor with an edge to it would cause a shock today like most modern people who go back and watch movies and shows older than 10 years old but that's nothing new for the internet. Roger the Stan Lee Experience was the best XPlay skit though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6