• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Speed Racer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Are you kidding? That Highlander anime was on par with the second movie; my god, it was an atrocity. Who are you hearing this from? Anime fans by chance?

I only heard it from IGN myself. I'm not sure what the general anime/highlander fans say.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

So it didn't make money? What's your point? Many great films don't make money and many crappy ones top the box office, those numbers reflect the mainstream. Using that as your basis is silly considering that if those standards meant anything to you, then you would have to view anime in an equally negative light considering the poor showing anime makes at the box office and DVD sales.

Ugh.

I'm getting quite annoyed by the attitude brought there too. I wouldn't really say I'm surprised about the movie not being what it is; Most likely new fans aren't really big on the original series regardless. I'm wondering if Astro Boy may even make it out with large $$ when it comes to movie theaters, though it's classic.

Marvel movies are always going to make money, I think. I never cared for the Iron Man series, and that's why I decided not to watch it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Are you kidding? That Highlander anime was on par with the second movie; my god, it was an atrocity.

Well, the films haven't been good since the second movie, so that's not necessarily a negative thing.

Quote:
Who are you hearing this from? Anime fans by chance?

No, Highlander fans, actually. Go to IMDB if ya don't believe me.

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that classic literature fans who are not anime fans just happened across Gankutsuou, considering it gets essentially zero exposure outside of the anime community. The word of people who are part of the demographic the adaptation is catered towards is meaningless in relation to what I was saying.

Anime fans read, too; and they did in fact discuss Gankutsuou's artistic deviations from the book.

Quote:
And Gedo Senki is better than the Sci-Fi mini-series, but it's still a horrendous adaptation of a good book. If the Sci-Fi mini-series was the source material then you'd have a point, but it's not, so your point is lost.

No, it's not lost. The fact that you admitted the Japanese did it better than the Americans who had the bigger budget supports my argument.

Quote:
As an adaptation of a literary classic though? I'm afraid it doesn't even come close to the depth and complexity of the book and only suffers from the attempts to "anime-ize" the storyline and setting.

Fair enough, but at least it wasn't meant to be faithful to the source material. I hate when Hollywood tries to sell films as fan-friendly, when they're usually just regurgitated versions of what I know and love.

Quote:
So you liked Iron Man? Good for you, but I'd be willing to put money on that if Iron Man was a manga instead but was done exactly the same as the US comic was, and the movie was done identically, you'd probably be complaining about it instead.

Only if the American version of an Iron Man manga was as awful as the Adam Warren Dirty Pair.

Quote:
So it didn't make money? What's your point? Many great films don't make money and many crappy ones top the box office, those numbers reflect the mainstream.

And many awful films don't make money, either. Look at Uwe Boll's stuff.

Quote:
Using that as your basis is silly considering that if those standards meant anything to you, then you would have to view anime in an equally negative light considering the poor showing anime makes at the box office and DVD sales.

Anime which bombs at the box office generally gets strong WOM and critical reviews. An under 50% RT score and mixed reception means Speed Racer ranks lower than Steamboy.

Edit: But what the hey? I thought Cool World was underrated, too.
subaru

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw the trailer in cinema the other day....... even thou it was only a few minutes long trailer, the colour scheme was so saturated and bright that it almost hurt my eyes. Being sincere to the original source is one thing. Letting your audience to watch the film comfortably is also important.

I do welcome to adding speedlines and all other visual styles to mimic the original anime style thou.

Also, maybe it was becuase when I saw this trailer in cinema. I was sitting at the front of the cinmea, I did get a little dizzy from watching all those 360 degress spiral. I would definitely sit at the back of the cinema if I do go watch this movie.

I don't think this movie will do wonderfully in box office. Yet, I think it will certainly be a kids favourite.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of visual composition, and 'Speed Racer' was worth a watch on a rainy weekend for just that aspect. What most people look to be knocking it on seems pretty fair though. Someone earlier stated that it may not be commercially successful/entertaining, but that it essentially did what it set out to achieve, but to me that puts a little too much polish on what's actually on screen. It's overly long, oozes being pleased with itself, and even the visual artistry begins to wear thin pretty quickly outside it most basic 'optical assault' aspects. Kind of a downer to me in that like a lot of recent 'visually driven' movies, it runs less like an inventive 'Cinematic' experience and more like a stretched out music video; it leaves you wishing for a little more depth/artistry behind all the fireworks. Looking over the reviews, I'll quickly crib a line from Roger Ebert that sums it up better then I could:

Quote:
Neither is "Speed Racer" a commercial avant-garde film (though fans of the Wachowski brothers may wish to make such claims), unless you still consider Laserium shows of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" to be cutting edge. (Lights! Shapes! Colors! Motion! Money!) And there's nothing terribly adventurous these days about Eisensteinian montage treated as if it were William S. Burroughs' "cut up" technique -- with digital clips randomly scrambled like pixelated confetti.

Nor is it some kind of subversive commodity....The faux naivete on display here -- right down to the imitation-fruit-flavored FDA-food-dye coloring -- is both shamelessly quaint and shamelessly cynical.

'Speed Racer' mixes into a category of movies like 'Legend' (an old Ridley Scott fantasy flick that combines great visual design with a diabolical experiment in seeing how much horrendous writing/dialogue can be crammed into two hours ) for me, a visually driven experience I really wanted to like, but just fell flat in too many areas.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
penguin: That's Ebert's co-writer. I made that mistake, too. Anyway, at least AX and Otakon will get this one for free.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguin: That's Ebert's co-writer. I made that mistake, too.

Jim Emerson had to have been grown in a test tube from various bits of Roger Ebert, he's got Ebert's "Witheringly pompous by a factor of 10 more then I have any right to be, but also making a pretty good point" style of writing down so pat I didn't even bother looking at the byline.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

Jim Emerson had to have been grown in a test tube from various bits of Roger Ebert, he's got Ebert's "Witheringly pompous by a factor of 10 more then I have any right to be, but also making a pretty good point" style of writing down so pat I didn't even bother looking at the byline.

That is so wrong and unfair that I have to assume you haven't actually read any of Ebert's books or followed his career at all.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
So, ANN, you gonna report the box office take or not?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
I think they're probably waiting for the "actuals", to see whether or not it at least beat What Happens in Vegas for the number 2 spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Goodpenguin wrote:

That is so wrong and unfair that I have to assume you haven't actually read any of Ebert's books or followed his career at all.

I'm not being as dismissive of Roger Ebert as you assume; he's far and away my favorite movie critic, I've got several of his books, and in his healthier days of years back I've been to several of his screenings/lectures/appearances when he popped up along the East Coast. If I didn't think much of Ebert I wouldn't be checking his reviews, and I wouldn't be praising him for writing something better than I could. But even favorite characters have quirks, and Ebert at times can get somewhat bitter/pompous in certain aspects. I don't think that's a particularly controversial, or new, observation about him (I believe even he's admitted he's occasionally let politically-tinged comments slip when they weren't really warranted).

My point above was more about that ending up as part of the charm, not drawback. If you read all of Jim Emerson's review you start to get the feeling he's squeezing 'Speed Racer' perhaps a little harder than the movie deserves/aims, but at the same time it's very solid criticism and well written. 'Speed Racer' would seem to me one of those properties that could push Eberts recent 'low-brow youth culture' buttons (witness his dust-up with Clive Barker over 'Silent Hill'/video games*, etc.), and the review ran as I would expect, so much so I didn't even bother with the byline. What I meant in what you quoted was aimed at praising Jim Emerson, not dismissing Roger Ebert.

*-http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/07/30/croal-vs-ebert-vs-barker-on-whether-videogames-can-be-high-art-round-1.aspx
An article by Newsweek cultural/entertainment critic N'Gai Croal that not only reviews said dispute, but illustrates my 'sometimes pompous' point. The reviewer, like myself, tends to agree with the gist of Ebert, but points out the needless high-handed/pissy way Ebert chooses to develop his argument.
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I find it hard to believe that classic literature fans who are not anime fans just happened across Gankutsuou, considering it gets essentially zero exposure outside of the anime community.

Actually, Gankutsuou was screened in the Grand Palais Museum in Paris, in late 2005 or early 2006, as part of an exhibition on art nouveau. So... yeah, why not. (By the way, I love the book, but I considered Gankutsuou a fantastic adaptation, much better than any other adaptation I've ever seen. Sure, there were many differences between the anime and the book, but most of those were intelligent and interesting changes, obviously written by people who knew what they were doing. Unless in case of Samurai 7 or that godawful Romeo x Juliet.)

As for Speed Racer, I haven't seen it yet, but based on the trailer and what I've been hearing about it, I find it this "if you didn't enjoy it you don't know how to have fun" attitude a bit ridiculous. I love cartoons, even those made for kids (Ben Ten? yeah, I think it's fun, and I'm about 20 years older than its target demographics). I even like Speed Racer. But insane CG orgies are simply not my idea of fun, no matter how shiny the CG is and how much the creators love the source material. I may borrow this movie if a friend buys it, but otherwise no, I'm not going to pay for it.
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Sure, there were many differences between the anime and the book, but most of those were intelligent and interesting changes, obviously written by people who knew what they were doing.

Like adding giant robot fights, dumbing down the characters into stereotypes, spoiler[transforming the Count into a monster] and missing some of the most important aspects that made the book such a classic? Just kidding, but one have to admit that the adaptation kinda sucked in comparison to the source material (not saying it's a bad anime or anything, it's great).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, I just watched "Ebert and Roeper at the Movies." They really liked it! Huh. They admitted there were problems with the ghastly over-subplotted story, but I already knew that and didn't care, (It's Speed flippin' Racer? Story? Feh.) and they said a lot of enjoyment could be gleaned from the style, integrity and visuals.

I'm a harsher critic than Roeper, but nicer than Ebert, so I think I'll definitely give this one a rental. Still can't bring myself to shell out 8 bucks in theaters, but my bias toward the movie has been improved.

Hating the Matrix is no excuse, huh? Very Happy

Monsieur Pink wrote:
mufurc wrote:
Sure, there were many differences between the anime and the book, but most of those were intelligent and interesting changes, obviously written by people who knew what they were doing.

Like adding giant robot fights, dumbing down the characters into stereotypes, spoiler[transforming the Count into a monster] and missing some of the most important aspects that made the book such a classic? Just kidding, but one have to admit that the adaptation kinda sucked in comparison to the source material (not saying it's a bad anime or anything, it's great).

Wow. I finish rewatching the show and all over this forum I've been finding little chatter-spots about it. I have to agree on one point. The Count is a stereotypical monster in the anime. It works there, but yeah, read the book if you want a deeper story for Edmond Dantes.

Beyond that, though..."dumbing down" the characters? Have you READ the book? The only character that was dumbed down was the Count himself, and Mercedes was a little ignored. Still, the three star conspirators were portrayed as evil and nasty, (but still tragically human in their evils) in the anime as they were in the novel. Edmond's entire generation of characters, as well as his right-hand men, were portrayed equally humanly.

But the younger generation was WAY more believably and humanly portrayed in the anime. I mean, Maximilien was the only "young" character who got much character development in the novel. Everyone else was just there to be used, and frankly, I LOVE what the anime did with the characters of Albert, Franz, and Eugenie, as well as the sickeningly delightfully disgusting Benedetto. No. I can see your complaints with the Count's character, but the other characters? Very well portrayed, and very sympathetic throughout.

But hey, I also enjoyed the COMPLETELY DIFFERENT "adaptation" Hollywood did of the book, so what do I know? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6