• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
I would hope this isn't a sequel to Mizushima's work if Mizushima isn't involved.

Quote:
A darn shame, because Aaron IS Alphonse Elric. One of the most brilliant dub castings EVER.

Agreed. Funimation took an already touching character and made him even more effective.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well I'm kind of Confused about this. From all the rumors I've read it sounds like this will be a show that goes back and does the Manga version of the story. It would probably just go back to where it started to where the Manga and Anime really started to go different directions but you never know - it could do a total re-start like Negima?! did. While that's interesting I'm not sure that's a great idea. The anime has its own set of fans and many won't be happy with the changes. Then there is the VA situation - more of a issue with the non Japanese dubs but still a issue. [Personally, I like both the Anime and Manga but I'm not sure how well the Manga would translate into Anime that would appeal to the original Anime's viewers.]

Now there is the issue, with R1 fans, of the show going to Funimation or not. There is no such thing as a "sure license." The Japanese company goes with the highest bidder, unless a U.S. company helps pay for the show. Of course, I wouldn't rule out Funi having a hand in funding this (it's fairly well documented that they'd pay for more Fruits Baskets, so while they try to wait the Mangka out on that one (as in she needs to change her mind and let someone re-make/continue the anime), they could be doing this). However, if they aren't funding this then it's all a bidding war. Also, it may turn out the Japanese producers want a totally different voice cast, if they really are doing a version of FMA that's the manga story line. That of course is wild speculation and I'm not sure I buy into the thought but it is worth mentioning.

Anyway, someone wondered who would make a good Ling. I actually would nominate Aaron Dismuke for the roll Smile . His voice wouldn't be wrong for the part, though there are a lot of male VA's who would be trying to get that part IMO. Then again, if this was a continuation of the original series then Al's voice wouldn't still sound like a kid and the entire issue wouldn't really be a issue Razz .
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
I vaguely recall somebody from the land of the rising sun having some input on FMA's dub casting back when the first PS2 game was being brought over. I can't find anything on it though.

Anway, I wonder if this new show will keep anything from the original, such as the musical score. It's hard to top Bratja.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Can't wait. I'd love to see a faithful adaptation of the manga from the beginning.
Satiety

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Holy... geez. I never would've thought of a 2nd Series for FMA. I thought it was final since it looked like THE END!

Though, I AM excited about it seeing Edward Elric (if he can still do alchemy without creating symbols), I'm a bit skeptical on how the storyline will go from here. I haven't read any of the manga (and I don't plan to) but I hope it would be as good as the previous.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Although I'm happy to see that one of my favorite anime is getting a second season/series, I'm afraid of how this will turn out. I thought FMA was perfect, including the movie.

So hopefully this won't be like a sequel to all of that or a retelling, and will try and follow the manga (which actually, I haven't really read that, so it would be a surprise to me ^^).
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
There's tons of reasons for me to be excited as a Fullmetal Alchemist freak! However, like many, I'm worried about the content of this upcoming series, and if it will be able to live up to the FMA we've come to know , and love. That said, I am looking forward to some returning traits of the series, perhaps a new L'Arc~en~Ciel song will grace the OST? And, perhaps Michiru Oshima will compse the OST, as she's done with the initial series.
Forlorn Hope

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I approve of this so long as it retcons out that atrocious movie.

This.

I could care less about a more faithful adaption of the manga. I, like others here have expressed, loved the bond between siblings shown in the Anime and was left completely satisfied by the TV ending. Then Conqueror of Shamballa came along and put an ax in things. Starting as if the movie (or the last few episodes, for that matter) never happened would be perfectly fine to me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ligene

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
No. Just no.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the series. But you shouldn't mess with a good thing - really, just no.

That and the fact that when it does get licensed (you have to be an idiot to believe it won't eventually) Al will more then likely have to be re-cast. The thought of someone else playing Al, no matter how talented, makes me very sad indeed.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who enjoyed the last episodes and the movie? I felt that the historical parallels were there from the start, what they did with it was interesting to me and explained how the magical "alchemy" worked. The movie was just plain fun, even though it didn't add anything necessary. At least it reuinted the brothers Elric and we got some other loose ends tied up.

Arakawa still hasn't explained much in the manga, and it's already been 86 chapters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChasingPhantoms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Am I the only one who enjoyed the last episodes and the movie? I felt that the historical parallels were there from the start, what they did with it was interesting to me and explained how the magical "alchemy" worked. The movie was just plain fun, even though it didn't add anything necessary. At least it reuinted the brothers Elric and we got some other loose ends tied up.

Arakawa still hasn't explained much in the manga, and it's already been 86 chapters.

I liked it. For the most part. The premise for the movie was awesome, though the delivery was fairly shaky. I didn't like Noa at all and was PO'ed that Envy got shafted (seeing as she's my favorite character, this was a big let-down for me) but overall I thought they did good. And yeah, the brothers being reunited made it worth it, whatever world they ended up in.

And yeah, the manga really... hasn't explained much. The explanations that have been offered really, really sucked. Particularly the origin of the Homunculi. That was just ridiculously stupid.
kindups

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
I really don't get how people can say how the movie gave a sufficient end to the series, or the anime for that matter. The movie felt a lot like Matrix Reloaded to me, in both that it wasn't nearly as good as expected, and that the end was in a weird place. They introduced that whole plot about spoiler[finding that guy's A-bomb to blow up the gate], and then ended it. The anime's "brothers apart trying to reunite" end was wrapped up by the movie, but yeah... I'd prefer the new series continuing from the movie's end. I haven't read the manga, but most people I've heard from said it got kinda crappy after where the anime diverged with it.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
oh my f**king goddess! (pardon my french) this has got to be the years biggest news! but still i am kinda wondering on how they will approach this and all... anyway i cant wait! Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
kindups wrote:
They introduced that whole plot about spoiler[finding that guy's A-bomb to blow up the gate]

What? I think you're a tad confused.

spoiler[The bomb had nothing to do with the gates at all. It was just that that guy ended up on the other side and introduced his bomb into modern technology, which is what inspired the Thule Society to want to take over that world (the place they called "Shamballa", Ed and Al's world).]

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
brightredglow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
If the new series follows the manga canon more closely, then I'd be thrilled because I'd love to see Arakawa's version of Hohenheim come to life as well as Ran Fan, Mei, Ling, Olivia Armstrong and the whole Briggs Army.

And count me among those who love Arakawa's version of Ed and Al over the anime version. I like the anime version but I prefer the manga versions because there is less angst to them and more individuality.

The manga is definitely less sentimental than the anime was, but I like it that way. I also think that Arakawa is explaining quite a lot as we head into what looks like the final leg of the series. Suffice it to say that there is just a lot in the manga that I preferred over the anime. Manga Hohenheim, for one, is leagues better than the anime version.

Also, if this new series is following the manga canon, there is no reason why Aaron Dismuke could not do Al. In the manga, Al is not stuck as a child. He's growing just as Ed has so Aaron could do the manga version of Al if he were so inclined.

But if this new series is just a continuation of the anime or the movie, I'll pass. I'm not a manga snob. I just simply did not care for the second season of FMA or the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14