• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Clever/Intelligent Character Tourney Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Group B-25
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo vs.
Kyoya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club
Voting For: Count.

Group B-26
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena vs.
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Voting For: Akio.

Reason: There seems to be lots of Satsuki haters, most of whom I would tend to believe, so I'll vote for Akio

Group B-27
Drosselmeyer, Princess Tutu vs.
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf
Voting For: Horo.

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, GTO vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For: Kikuchi.

Reason: I really like Kikuchi, and Aizen's clip made me think of the end of each Scooby Doo episode, when we find out that Old Man Kramer was wearing the ghost costume to scare people away from his ex-business partner's amusement park. (And he would have gotten away with it too...)
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
B-25 : The Count

More people should read the book, though the Count is still fabulous in the anime.

B-26 : Akio Ohtori

B-27 : Horo the Wise

As much as I like Horo, Drosselmeyer seems the smarter candidate from what others say. This might be the first time I switch. For now, Horo is the winner.

B-28 : Kikuchi

More of an anti-Aizen vote. He's smart, but it's not all that demonstrated. Kikuchi it is.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:
More people should read the book, though the Count is still fabulous in the anime.

While I agree that The Count of Monte Cristo deserves to be more widely read... I have to say that the anime bears very little resemblance to the book. Yes, the anime is inspired by the book, and many of the characters are lifted from similar characters with identical names in the book -- but the two stories bear about the same level of relationship that Hell in the Pacific and Enemy Mine do.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:

While I agree that The Count of Monte Cristo deserves to be more widely read... I have to say that the anime bears very little resemblance to the book. Yes, the anime is inspired by the book, and many of the characters are lifted from similar characters with identical names in the book -- but the two stories bear about the same level of relationship that Hell in the Pacific and Enemy Mine do.

- abunai

Odd, since apart from the futuristic setting, many events are executed verbatim in the anime, or at least in the same order without leaving out much, with the exception of the radically different ending. Only three characters' personalities or roles are significantly altered.

The main difference is a drastic difference in tone. Where does it come from? A) The characterization of the Count as an antagonist rather than a protagonist, and the new lead becoming normally-left-out-of-the-loop-entirely Monsieur Albert and B) The near-elimination of the heavy religious themes in favor of a coming-of-age type approach. Those factors together take a similarly plotted story and make it very very different in the anime version.

Off-topic. But yeah, read the book. It's just as awesome, if not moreso. Very Happy
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
Voting For: The Count
Reason: It does not seem that Kyohya is a better choice.

Group B-26
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Voting For: Akio Ohtori
Reason: No contest, Akio manipulates people and hauls them in to his game.
Possibility of Change: Slim

Group B-27
Voting For: Horo the Wise
Reason: Horo is clever and cunning. Drosselmeyer is manipulating the situation in Princess Tutu from behind the scenes not because of his clever schemes but because of his power to change his stories into reality. ah yes! His manipulation encourages Ahiru to help the prince. Much as I like Ahiru, I don't think she is very smart. On the other hand, as Key said Horo beats people at their own game, which left a deeper impression on me than Drosselmeyer duping Ahiru, the rest of the cast and people from town, which he is able to do because of his power to begin with.
Possibility of Change: None

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, GTO vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For: Aizen
Reason: seems to be a better choice.
Possibility of Change: Yes
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Kyohya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club [ Video Clip ]

The Count because his level of manipulation simply outclasses Kyohya Ohtori's petty schemes.

Group B-26
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV [ Video Clip ]

Akio by default. Neither clip was very convincing, but I believe that Satsuki is even less deserving than Akio.

Group B-27
Drosselmeyer, Princess Tutu [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf [ Video Clip ]

Horo barely edges out Drosselmeyer. Horo is a master schemer with high levels of practical knowledge. She also has top notch social and persuasion skills. Horo may be wise and well learned, but in terms of actual intelligence she falls short of being a genius. Even in her countless years of wisdom, she is still very impulsive and childish.

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, Great Teacher Onizuka [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aizen Sousuke, Bleach [ Video Clip ]

Aizen. Kikuchi is a follower while Aizen is a leader. Kikuchi schemes immaturely while Aizen manipulates events on a grand scale. Aizen's intelligence extends beyond his powers. He is able to predict events, lead his followers and skillfully persuade others without the use of his powers.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25: The Count. Epic game for the win.

Group B-26: Satsuki Yatouji. Computer whiz for the win.

Group B-27: Horo the Wise. Epic merchandising for the win.

Group B-28: Yoshito Kikuchi. Another computer whiz for the win.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:

Also - Kyoya is spelled wrong here, yes? There isn't an "h" in his name in the encyclopedia, and I don't recall it in the subs watching it either.

It's a romanticization issue. While I can't say for sure, having not seen the pronounciation for the kanji, I am fairly certain that the o in his name is a long vowel and thus can be translated as "o," "ou" (which is why I usually use), or as "oh." It's the same vowel as in shojo/shoujo. Or why sometimes the second part of Fushigi Yuugi is spelled Yugi with an accent over the u.

I personally prefer the double letters, because it shows that the sound is being held. But I don't think either can be considered right or wrong necessarily.
velocet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
The Count of Monte Cristo, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Kyohya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club [ Video Clip ]

Argh.......I'm going to have to go with Kyoya. Mostly because I really feel that if it was really a level playing field, I think Kyoya would be just as deceptive, devious and calculating as the Count, with a variety of booksmarts to back it up. The Count had literally decades to lay his traps, Kyoya hasn't even been alive that long and look what he's capable of already. I think he does have his heart in the right place, but then he's never been as royally screwed over as the Count was to make him turn away from being a decent person underneath it all. OHSHC is a daft shoujo comedy, and as such you really don't see Kyoya acting to his full capacity - but you do see his potential; so, even though you perhaps don't see it painted explicitly before your eyes as you do in Gankutsuou, I'm convinced enough by the glimpses of his true brilliance that he's the best candidate for my vote here.

Group B-26
Akio Ohtori, Revolutionary Girl Utena [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV [ Video Clip ]

Akio is just an all-round better choice, even if he is pretty weak competition at this point.

Group B-27
Drosselmeyer, Princess Tutu [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Horo the Wise, Spice and Wolf [ Video Clip ]

I'm a bit on the fence. For now, Drosselmeyer on the strength of others' comments, as the clip didn't really do him any favours, but then, even though I value street smarts, most of what Horo did in her clip was ripped off from someone else. Though I appreciate that's another kind of deviousness, it's not the strongest kind of intelligence there is.

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, Great Teacher Onizuka [ Video Clip ]
vs.
Aizen Sousuke, Bleach [ Video Clip ]

Aizen, even though it's a bit of a 1 smart guy to 200 minions ratio in the Bleach cast, he's still a bloody smart cookie, and his opponent Kikuchi's brains seem to be predominantly technical abilities and making a fool out of a guy who seems to be pretty good at doing that of his own accord.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Group B-25
Voting For: Kyoya
Reason: Kind of a pity vote, I guess. The thing to take away from the video clip of him is that he does all of his manipulations without anyone finding out until he tells them he's done.

Group B-26
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Voting For: Akio
Reason: I don't remember a whole lot of X, but I got more of a superpower impression from Satsuki than intelligence.

Group B-27
Voting For: Drosselmeyer
Reason: Horo is tricksy, but she doesn't do quite as much as she could. Drosselmeyer could have spoiler[forced the outcome to his liking if he abused his power the way Aizen does, and in the end, he is at worst annoyed but not vanquished.]
Possibility of Change: Yes

Group B-28
Yoshito Kikuchi, GTO vs.
Aizen Souskue, Bleach
Voting For: Yoshito
Reason: Patience can be a virtue, but Aizen's inaction is needlessly reckless. If he had any real sense, he could have won with spoiler[Soul Society still believing he was dead. Recall how his initial plan was to kill Rukia to get the Hougyoko, and how that failed. It was his back-up plan that suceeded. The one where he didn't need specific preparations and a multitude of witnesses present. Had Aizen simply taken the Hougyoko from Rukia's body that way while she was in the tower of repentence and everyone believed him dead, he could have had several weeks more of planning, and the remaining captains would have continued to fight amongst each other of Rukia's execution.]
Possibility of Change: No
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Sophisticat wrote:

- abunai

Oh, I never meant to say that the anime is an accurate depiction of the book, just that the Count's character doesn't suffer from (or not too much, at least) the transition. The settings and atmosphere change, but the context remains, I think, which is the most important part. I did like the creative touch they added to the anime, though.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Off-topic. But yeah, read the book. It's just as awesome, if not moreso. Very Happy

Aye, en français! Otherwise, c'est une suprême hérésie à la litérature de la langue de Molière! Pardon my French. Razz
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:
Aye, en français! Otherwise, c'est une suprême hérésie à la litérature de la langue de Molière! Pardon my French. Razz

Oh, blather. Sure, poetry deserves to be read in the original, and some prose ought to -- but most prose is fine in translation.

I have no problem with reading French, and I will read Baudelaire in the original, of course -- but there are so many excellent translations of The Count of Monte Cristo that there is no need to be all artsy-fartsy about it. It's better to read the book than to forego it out of some idea that it's a heresy to read it in any other language than French.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow! second place, I'm doing good in the minigame. Theres no prizes this time though right?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Wow! second place, I'm doing good in the minigame. Theres no prizes this time though right?

There are. From what I remember, $150 in anime merchandise for 1st place, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh really? thanks for telling me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 90