• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [2020-07-13]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenCrimson2020

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Any news on season 3?
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
GoldenCrimson2020 wrote:
Any news on season 3?

No, there will be a ReZero panel on Anime Japan this Saturday, which is the venue both seasons were announced at, then there's a stage event scheduled for June. We'll see but ReZero seems to favor stage announcements for new seasons so hey, fingers crossed.

Sven Viking wrote:
Covnam wrote:
though it's even odd bringing someone who's essentially catatonic to a party. I understand wanting her to be included, but it still seems off.

In reality, there are cases where bringing a comatose person to an interesting place with interesting sounds has triggered something that wakes them up, although that may not be the case with magical comas.

Basically they brought her to the ceremony because it's an important moment for Subaru and he's sure she would have liked to attend. Ram otoh is still very awkward about the whole "I have a twin" thing, its pretty recent even if a month passed between each half of the episode, but she wants to show she's making an effort to acclimate to the idea.

Why they put her on a maid uniform tough I can't really explain. To those not in the know she ends up looking like one of the waiters that dozed off during the party.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps since the Roswall mansion burned down to the ground, all their clothes burned up. Might have been a last minute decision and the maid clothes were all that were available at that friendly mansion.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
t Emilia would continue to miss the point of Subaru's feelings, either due to his over-the-top fawning, her innocence,

this doubles as a question, but is not emilia like 5-6 years odl mentally ? as in she was 5 when she got frozen then got unthawed recently (correct me if I am wrong , I read a summary of the novel once the first season ended so I am prone to get details wrong).
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

this doubles as a question, but is not emilia like 5-6 years odl mentally ? as in she was 5 when she got frozen then got unthawed recently (correct me if I am wrong , I read a summary of the novel once the first season ended so I am prone to get details wrong).

It's been roughly 7 years since Emilia was unfrozen and she was frozen when she was around 7.

This has led to a common assertion that Emilia is "114 in age, 17 in body and 14 in mind". This has fueled some... Pretty wild discussions on the wider internet, which include the idea that the protagonist is in love with what's mentally a child and wether that reflects the author's tastes.

For my money, I think it's a load of crap. People latched on to this idea that Emilia is mentally 14 (in fact if you go to her page on the RZ wikia that information is still there) because that's what Subaru thinks when Emilia tells him about her time in permafrost and he surmises that does explain some of her more imature traits.. Except Subaru says alot of stupid **** that shouldn't be taken as dogma.

None of Emilia's personality traits are defined by a lack of cognitive development that we typically associate with a child. Rather, a lifetime being told she's the reincarnation of Satan gave her low self-esteem bordering on self hatred and made her eager to please and help others, to prove she's not someone that should be feared - while at he same time looking to keep people at bay, both for fear that they'll hurt her anyway due to her appearance and for fear that they themselves will be targeted for associating with her. She lacks experience with many elementary concepts of life in a society, which make her appear childlike at times, but that's solely due to her living all her life up to this point alone in the woods, save for a whimsical cat spirit and the cold shoulder of the general goods shopkeeper.

To take her "innocence" towards love as an example, I think pretty much everyone on earth has at least seen a romantic couple. Most have been there and those that don't have at least a general idea of what's expected from them should they find themselves in that situation. Emilia first saw a couple kissing from afar only months ago, that's the full extent of her frame of reference for what "loving someone" means. It's not that she's "too young" to understand these concepts, but rather that she hasn't had the chance to learn them through the cultural osmosis we're all subjected to as part of living in a society. In fact, the things she has experience with she quickly grasps, like how her experience with racism helped her quickly grasp the inherent racism and classicism in Lugunican society.

Also "mental age of 14" is just a useless label. Mental age of what? A 14 yo in modern Japan? A 14 yo in the medieval ages? People age differently depending on their circumstances but regardless, it's pointless to compare them to Emilia who's life so far is closer to Mogli from Jungle Book, rather than any 14 year Olds that Subaru ever met.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Beyond that, Emilia's age is actually officially unknown aside from her being a century old and her wiki page has been rewritten sightly to reflect that. Subaru deduction was attempt understand how long she has lived.

Otherwise it was just shallowly used to fuel waifuwar arguments in the past.

Anyway, I forgot to mention I was pretty satisfied with everyone beating up on RoswaaI, just wish Frederica getting her shot in was included lol
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:

Basically they brought her to the ceremony because it's an important moment for Subaru and he's sure she would have liked to attend. Ram otoh is still very awkward about the whole "I have a twin" thing, its pretty recent even if a month passed between each half of the episode, but she wants to show she's making an effort to acclimate to the idea.

I can understand that, still feels off to me though lol

It's been a month? I appreciate that info as it certainly didn't feel that way. Maybe a week or two at the most.

Quote:

Why they put her on a maid uniform tough I can't really explain. To those not in the know she ends up looking like one of the waiters that dozed off during the party.

lol

TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps since the Roswall mansion burned down to the ground, all their clothes burned up. Might have been a last minute decision and the maid clothes were all that were available at that friendly mansion.

Makes as much sense as anything. I guess you wouldn't give a maid anything from the lady of the house's wardrobe.

OrdepNM wrote:

It's been roughly 7 years since Emilia was unfrozen and she was frozen when she was around 7.

This has led to a common assertion that Emilia is "114 in age, 17 in body and 14 in mind".

Where does 17 come from? Did she physically age ~3 years while frozen? ~7 years before being frozen and ~7 years after being frozen points to 14 or 15 to me...
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Emilia's age is actually officially unknown aside from her being a century old and her wiki page has been rewritten sightly to reflect that.

Oh ic, it seems I was outdated on that, my bad.

Covnam wrote:
It's been a month? I appreciate that info as it certainly didn't feel that way. Maybe a week or two at the most.

Yeah it was a month, ceremonies take time to prepare, guests take time to arrive etc. Meanwhile Subaru got to know Annerose, the lady of the house and Clind, her butler and right hand man (you can see him in the crowd shots, its the guy with the monocle). Then he and Emilia hatched a plan to help Garf and Fred rekindle their sibling relationship. All of this was relegated to side stories tough, in order to fit the page count.

Covnam wrote:
Makes as much sense as anything. I guess you wouldn't give a maid anything from the lady of the house's wardrobe.

More importantly, the lady of the house is 9 years old and too small to have anything thatd fit Rem lol. That said I half expect that the dress Petra wears is hers. We'll see more of Annerose next season but suffice to say, she's got that haughty look on her face but she's Emilia's supporter and someone she considers a friend.

Covnam wrote:
Where does 17 come from? Did she physically age ~3 years while frozen? ~7 years before being frozen and ~7 years after being frozen points to 14 or 15 to me...

Small correction, it's 18 not 17. That's how old Subaru had guesstimated Emilia to be based on appearance. I'll quote Subaru's thought process from the book:
Quote:
Emilia was one hundred and fourteen years old, eighteen years old going by outward appearance, and mentally fourteen years of age.
"Real age, apparent age and mental age... they're all disconnected!"
The elven blood Emilia had inherited made her age a vague concept in ways not normally possible. At the same time, it resolved many doubts Subaru had about Emilia's behavior.
For someone who had lived for over a century, she was fairly ignorant of worldly affairs, often used phrases and gestures that stood out as childish and from time to time she liked to use words that seemed oddly archaic.
All of these things could be attributed to the fact that Emilia had spent most of her life sleeping within the ice.

Incidenty, according to Emilia she did age normally while in the ice. You can see as much in the Frozen Bond OVA, when Emilia is freed she looks older than in the Sanctuary flashback. It's just that elves don't age like humans and at 100+ she still looks young. [/quote]
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I confirmed a bad official English translation on one sub line in the last episode:

Roswaal is telling Subaru that the path forward will be filled with hardship and he will probably see his friends and allies die. Subaru won his bet with Roswaal by saving everyone with no compromises, so Roswaal threatens Subaru that he will not allow failure from here and he's completely relying on Subaru now to reach his own goal:

"If you lose anyone, I will not hesitate to reduce everything to ashes. I will not allow you to compromise."

The English subs mistranslated it as if Roswaal were talking about himself:

"If I lost anyone, I would not hesitate to reduce everything to ashes. I will not compromise."

The Japanese is very clear that he is talking about if Subaru were to lose someone, not himself. Later on, Subaru even says, "I think things are going to get harder than they have been before now" when the conversation between him and Roswaal is brought up (he even has a sweat mark on his cheek, showing he's still disturbed by what Roswaal said).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 47 of 47