• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Monthly/Yearly Expenses

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
By the way, here we are 17 days into April and my spending is $0.00! CAN I ACTUALLY GO TO THE END OF THE MONTH WITHOUT SPENDING ANYTHING???

Stay tuned.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

It is possible. You aren't posting as much as usual either. You may be entering a fallow period. Since you have a stated goal of buying everything, this just means you will have to buy more later. You had best bank those savings. Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Don't plan on buying anything else for this month. So guess I'll round up on how much I bought this month.

Clannad After Story (both sets) = $38.90
No. 6 = $35.42
Letter Bee Season 1 (both sets) = $58.09
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl Premium Edition = $51.99
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom SAVE set = $21.74 (surprisingly ready to ship for me over a month early)

April Total: $206.14

YTD Total: $1009.17

Nowhere as crazy as last month for spending, but still fairly high. At the rate I'm spending, I could likely surpass how much I spent last year and I've got a nice load of pre-orders the next couple months that I'm expecting.

Last edited by Ggultra2764 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of jinxing myself (there is one day left in the month, after all), I'm gonna go ahead an call it now:

Grand Total for April: $0.00

I FINALLY DID IT!!! I finally went an entire calender month without buying a gosh-darn thing.

I probably won't be able to say that in May. I'm going to Anime North at the end of the month and even though my weekend pass is already paid for and thus showed up in my March expenses, the likelihood of me going there and not buying something is pretty slim.

I don't expect to be anywhere near the $300-ish dollars I dropped there last year, though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-

Since this is what you wanted, I'll say congratualtions. I'm happy for you.

For me this would be a horror story. I buy things I want as they come out. A whole month with nothing spent would be one in which no anime or manga was issued that I was interested in. That would probably be the end of my anime hobby, or the end of me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we are in very different situations, Alan45. Fortunately for me, my $0.00 spend wasn't because there isn't anything I don't want. Quite the opposite. It's just that I'm instituting some much needed fiscal and backlog discipline. It just doesn't make sense to keep on buying anime when I've got literally a decade's worth (or more given the rate at which I watch my physical media) of viewing to get through.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Blood-
So it takes you a decade to get around to watching a particular show that you purchased in 2012, how's that a prob? After all you're in it for the long term aren't you? Very Happy

Lately, I honestly don't think I could go a week, let alone an entire month without buying something that wasn't related to anime, manga, the music, and or all of the other catch me f-me's associated with it all. So an entire month is pretty amazing when I stop and think about it.
Congrats on that.

There are things that have really affected my monthly expenses this year... The simple act of posting here and at the "What did you just buy?" thread. It's made me take a closer look at where my discretionary has gone. Which I kinda like, because now, more often than not, I find myself thinking "Is this truly a must buy? are you going to view this more than once? read it multiple times?"

Crunchyroll for previewing is the other. I just don't or won't blind buy as much of the newer shows and movies being released like I would've normally done. The downside to this whole instant gratification thing is waiting for the rest of the show that I've taken an instant liking to. I hate that part of it. I can't stand having that flow interrupted. Marathoning in hi def is still my preferred fix.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
@ Blood-
So it takes you a decade to get around to watching a particular show that you purchased in 2012, how's that a prob? After all you're in it for the long term aren't you? Very Happy

Oh God, I hope so. One of my biggest fears is waking up one day and suddenly thinking, "eh, not really into anime any more" ... while having several thousand dollars worth of unwatched material still crammed on my shelves.

Shocked
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Given how I am going currently I am probably going to be spending around $4,000 to $5,000 again this year. I am slowly catching up on all the releases that I want to purchase that are still in stock and not OOP while balancing the purchase of new releases.

Hopefully in 2014 I can keep the whole year under the $3,000 mark.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
lem wrote:
@ Blood-

Oh God, I hope so. One of my biggest fears is waking up one day and suddenly thinking, "eh, not really into anime any more" ... while having several thousand dollars worth of unwatched material still crammed on my shelves.

Shocked

I think anyone that goes at it hardcore for any length of time is bound to experience that sentiment. I know I have.

When I look back at Sailor Moon, which is one of those that I first glimpsed on broadcast TV in 1989? and compare it to the Bakemonogatari's of today, it's pretty damn impressive how things are expressed visually now. In 2023 I wanna go "damn these "newtypes" are really something else, Bake looks old".
I'm seriously lookin' forward to that. Will I still have a backlog? probably, but I'll just make like I'm some kinda historian at that point. Very Happy
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks everything that's going to ship this month has, so here's my breakdown:

Figures: $53.65
Anime: $37.79
Memberships: $12.00

April Total: $103.44

YTD Total: $817.72

Not so bad this month, but May's gonna hurt something fierce.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Not too bad for me.

Anime: £19.99
Manga: £122.59
Merchandise: £6
Novel: £7.99

Total: £156.57

YTD: £710.56 Slightly more than this time last year, but I think I'm being more sensible about what I buy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
April is gone so it is time to sum up.

Manga: 20 volumes for $181.26
Manhwa: 2 volumes for $19.58
Novel: 1 for $8.39
Figures: 1 for $88.98
Games: 2 for $73.96
Blurays: 4 for $170.92
DVDs: 7 for $220.89
Tax: $31.44
Total: $795.42

Year to date: $3433.21

I now have a minor problem. Last year I got a "Got Anime" membership with TRSI and I think I got my money back. It is hard to tell though. The only way I can find is to compare the automated message issued when you order (which does not show the reduction) to the shipping notice or the invoice in the package. Unfortunately I did not keep all of the automated messages.

The reason I have doubts is that most of what I buy is new releases, some of which were preordered. The balance of the rest are bargain bin items that got too cheap not to buy. Unfortunately neither of those categories are eligible for the discount. This past year I did buy items that were not in either category, but those were mostly Bandai or Media Blasters stuff that was likely to disappear.

I realize it is only $12, but .... I will probably wait until I actually order something that would qualify.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That makes sense, Alan45. I know in my case, GA always paid for itself about 10 times over even though not everything I bought at TRSI was eligible for it. My last GA actually expired but since I'm not planning on ordering anything in the near future, there's no point in renewing it just yet. Like you, I'll wait for a qualifying order then probably get it. Although it is an open question this year whether it would pay for itself.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Since I subscribed to Got Anime, in September 2012, I have saved $259.20. So after you take into account the cost of the membership I saved a net amount of $247.20
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 72