• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
3. Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Chobits, ROD, Lain, and few others deserve rescues and are all quite popular.

Yeah. Lain, too. Thanks for mentioning that one. I had rented it from a local store called Game Quest back when it was a relatively new release, probably 2001 (renting anime was about all GameQuest did, though they did some video game related stuff). It's another I never got around to buying it as I was collecting several other series back then (lots of anime + limited funds = "tough" decisions).

RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'll admit, I'd love to see Funimation rescue "Armitage III". I saw Armitage III: Poly-matrix years ago on Sci-Fi, and I loved it. It was my first real taste of anime, and I'd be interested in a re-release.

Yeah. That's where I first saw it, too. When was that, like, 1997? I used to watch Saturday Anime all the time. It's what got into anime in the first place.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
JairStout wrote:
3. Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Chobits, ROD, Lain, and few others deserve rescues and are all quite popular.

Yeah. Lain, too. Thanks for mentioning that one. I had rented it from a local store called Game Quest back when it was a relatively new release, probably 2001 (renting anime was about all GameQuest did, though they did some video game related stuff). It's another I never got around to buying it as I was collecting several other series back then (lots of anime + limited funds = "tough" decisions).

Texhnolyze (written by Lain's writer) was mentioned earlier as well, and I would have included it, but I didn't think Zac would have seen it as being popular. It's a fascinating series that I'd love to own, though, but cost and shelf space have prevented me from getting the box set. Oh, and the hope that it will be re-released too! Wink

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad all of the older voice cast (except for the ones mentioned, of course) came back for Brotherhood. It was funny; at Vic's panel at Dragon*Con, he was talking about Brotherhood and how he couldn't really say anything. But he would say that he was really excited about the anime. Anime hyper He asked a person in the front row, "Did I say that I am going to voice Edward Elric?" The kid said no and Vic went, "Exactly." Anime hyper It was hilarious. However, I'm not so sure about J. Michael for Scar. I love both of them but together...meh. I dunno. It just doesn't seem to match in my head. Maybe I've been watching too much Black Blood Brothers/Ouran High School Host Club. xD Or who knows, he might sound like Doumeki from xxxHOLiC...the endless possiblities. I don’t know the girl who’s going to replace Aaron but it seems from the posts here that she’ll be a good fit. I’m excited to hear it. Can’t wait until the actual release. I just can’t bring myself to watch the Japanese since even those voices are different…

And FUNimation, I'm still waiting on news about Card Captor Sakura maybe rerelease/redub and for Kyou Kara Maoh's third season and xxxHOLiC's second season and it’s sister series, Tsubasa’s OVAs. And…a lot more things. D:

Anywho, my friend just introduced me to X so I'm curious how much the rerelease of the series might cost. If it's cheaper to still go with Geneon's DVD, I'll probably do that.

But I’ve never been interested in Initial D so it doesn’t really have any preference for me.

Maybe FUNimation will make my dream come true and steal the sequels to the original Saiyuki from the grubby hands of Bang Zoom! and redub it the way it should’ve been to begin with. I mean, why mess with a dub that’s better than the Japanese version? D:[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

2. Even if I grant you that Initial D is so much more popular than I'm led to believe, how does that translate to making a profit on a dub for 60+ episodes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you defended ADV's decision to not dub Clannad (a 50 episode series) as a good financial decision? And they're both niche titles (moe and sports/racing respectively). So explain to me how FUNi will make a profit on this if you're so confident that they will.

Well, firstly, I don't work at Funimation and thus do not criticize their minor business decisions based on what I, as an outsider, think will turn a profit for them. That's not really my concern, nor should it be yours.

However it is common sense that if you have a show that appeals to an audience outside anime fandom and will sell most of your units at Best Buy rather than at Right Stuf, specifically a show that's designed to appeal to racing fans (the people who opened Fast & Furious to 70+million in the spring), then it makes sense to dub it. The Tokyopop dub is basically a string of bad decisions, weirdly changed names, bad acting and bad scripting. They have the resources to redo the show and relaunch it, so they are. I don't understand why this one show is somehow financial suicide or they're just totally throwing money down a black hole rather than focusing that energy on...

Quote:
Paranoia Agent, Trigun, Chobits, ROD, Lain, and a few others deserve rescues and are all quite popular.

Except you have no idea which of these are available, which ones Geneon USA (which still exists) is still holding on to and intends to distribute through Funimation as they have many other titles. So complaining that they're doing Y instead of X when you have quite literally no idea or any knowledge at all of whether or not X is possible or already being worked on seems like you're not really interested in fair analysis here.

Quote:
Hell Girl, School Rumble, Case Closed, Negima, Tsubasa, xxxHolic, Rumbling Hearts, Kodocha, D. Gray-Man, and more are licenses FUNi has that haven't been completed in terms of second or more seasons and/or OVAs. But then there's the Geneon distro list of sequels: Shana, Familiar of Zero, MGL Nanoha, Black Lagoon, Hihurashi, and on, and on, and on.

OK - this is where things get stupid. Of the titles you listed, several of them are ongoing releases.

"Why are they releasing Initial D when all of D. Grey-man isn't out yet?" This is a stupid complaint just on the face of it.

Maybe because they can release more than one show at the same time? Releasing Initial D doesn't mean they're going to stop releasing D. Gray-man. I'm not even sure what the hell you're really arguing here. And a lot of these are only "unreleased" because there are little tiny bits of falderal that didn't make it on the DVD release for one reason or another. And regardless, finding a handful of exceptions does not disprove what I'm saying.

Also Case Closed? Are you serious? You expect them to focus on releasing that 8-billion episode money sink in its entirety rather than dubbing a car show? Great ideas mate.

Long and short of it you're basically saying they're a bunch of fools for releasing Initial D here for a variety of vague, undefinable financial reasons and then unleash a list of stuff you personally think they should release instead, which is a comment based less in serious informed analysis of their financial reality than it is just straight up fanboy whining.

OK, you wish they'd release Nanoha instead of a show with icky cars for icky car people. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

On that last bit, yes, I think that would be a much better idea. It's an established franchise, they're re-releasing the hell out of the first two seasons, and the third season is only 26 episodes. They wouldn't even have to dub it in-house.

On your overall point, if we're both ignorant as to why FUNi did this and if they will make money on it, then your positive speculation is just as valid as my negative. If neither of us knows how this will pan out, then you've no reason to think I'm crazy for believing that dubbing a series of this length and low popularity (my opinion) is a bad idea.

What do you think the average person would pick up?

A. A picture of several people racing cars

or

B. Two 9 year old making sexy poses

Trust me, it's A. More casual people will buy this series than Nanoha, I don't understand why you think Nanoha is a huge seller, no one is talking about it, and from what I see the fanbase is exclusively online. Keep in mind Online popularity really doesn't mean anything unless actual people buy it. I mean One Piece is the third most popular manga online, and each volume barely makes the top ten list for a week.
OtakuOtoko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
A redub or Initial D? Seriously? Thats awesome! I am a huge fan and can't wait. I have put off buying the crappy Tokyopop branded one for so long. I want the manga so badly too (needs to be retranslated!). If they get good vas, don't change the names and don't let a crappy american artist change the music, it will be a hit. Hopefully they won't try to use American "street slang" either. The people who are going to watch it are car people or people interested in learning about cars and driving. It could sell to non-anime fans if done right. I guess it could be a risk but if done right and marketed right it could be a success. I showed a few non-anime friends Initial D. They hated the dub but didn't mind the subbed version. They said if the dub was better and if it was maybe aired on Speed TV late nights, they would definately watch it.

Plus on a side note: Third Stage is a movie and they could drop Extra Stage if First and Second Stage don't sell well since it is a side story OVA.

It is the most successful pay-per-view anime out of Japan. I don't think FMA would have made it if it was pay-per-view. Initial D is aimed at a lifestyle not an anime fan audience.

Another car anime Funi could look into would be Wangan Midnight. The arcade games are a huge success in the U.S. and it has a more plain jane street racer feel which U.S. viewers would like. (Note: Also a successful pay-per-view car racing series.)

One that might not be the best choice could also be Capeta which is about kart racing and moving up to F1. But since it involves F1 and not NAScar it most likely wouldn't sell very well.

Even though it is still just rumors, I can't wait for 5th Stage which is possibly in the works!

Last edited by OtakuOtoko on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
I'm curious about the new Alphonse Elric voice for FMA: Brotherhood. I really liked Aaron Dismuke in that role, so Maxey's got something to live up to.

I can certainly empathize with you there, but I can also say I'm fairly optimistic about Ms. Whitehead 's ability to pull off a stellar Al since I had the pleasure of hearing her work in Baccano!.

Now I'm pondering more and more that I'll be getting Brotherhood. For awhile in the beginning, it let me down big time, but now w/ the inclusion of the manga-only characters and consequential plot differences, I'm exceedingly tempted.

Further, I'll now be mulling over what character Dismuke will be playing, as I'm sure it'll be a recurring one, given his high profile in the FMA franchise.
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Yay i always wanted to see initial d dubbed with original soundtrack by good actors and funi granted my wish and im pretty sure that funi is gonna do great on FMAB like they did the original
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
It's definitely worth mentioning that even if a re-release of Initial D doesn't make a ton of sense for the anime scene, it'll definitely find buyers with car people :)

I've met sooo many people who aren't into anime at all but because they like drifting and/or the import scene, they adore Initial D. The arcade game has a hardcore following too, people that I'm sure will be buyers if the release is targeting properly~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Initial D???? Whats that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
I've gotta say I'm pretty stoked for the English dub of FMA: Brotherhood! I wish they could've cryogenically frozen Aaron so he could've voiced Al in this series, too, but, thankfully, it seems like they've found a good replacement. I haven't seen much of the English Baccano dub, but I like what I've heard of her portrayal of Csezlaw so far. Seems like as good a replacement as they were going to get!

I'm a little upset about the recasting of Scar - I thought Dameon Clarke was great, and I'm having a little trouble imagining J. Michael Tatum in the roll, but perhaps a bit of a different take on Scar will be nice for this series.

And now, of course, I'm very curious as to who Aaron Dismuke will play, and just plain ecstatic that he's back, really. Ling seems like the obvious choice, and that would be cool, though at the same time, it's going to be bizarre hearing him converse with Ed through a different character. Kinda has me hoping that his voice has seriously changed, strangely enough. I wonder if he'd try an accent for that role, haha. Either way, I'm just glad they brought him back.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
JairStout wrote:

On that last bit, yes, I think that would be a much better idea. It's an established franchise, they're re-releasing the hell out of the first two seasons, and the third season is only 26 episodes. They wouldn't even have to dub it in-house.

On your overall point, if we're both ignorant as to why FUNi did this and if they will make money on it, then your positive speculation is just as valid as my negative. If neither of us knows how this will pan out, then you've no reason to think I'm crazy for believing that dubbing a series of this length and low popularity (my opinion) is a bad idea.

What do you think the average person would pick up?

A. A picture of several people racing cars

or

B. Two 9 year old making sexy poses

Trust me, it's A. More casual people will buy this series than Nanoha, I don't understand why you think Nanoha is a huge seller, no one is talking about it, and from what I see the fanbase is exclusively online. Keep in mind Online popularity really doesn't mean anything unless actual people buy it. I mean One Piece is the third most popular manga online, and each volume barely makes the top ten list for a week.

Tell me, who are these "casual, average people" who will somehow compensate for a dub of this size? From my perspective, no one will be buying this series except people who already know about it and like it (ie: anime fans). Unless the random-car-enthusiast-who-strolls-down-the-anime-aisle-at-Best-Buy is such a super-massive demographic that I don't know about, then I don't see them making any profit. Anime itself is niche, and this shows fills a niche within that niche. Stuff like Afro Samurai will sell to "casual, average people," but not something like this. They have know about it first! But maybe FUNi will sell it at AutoZone or something. They must have some trick up their sleeve to do something so illogical.

On an aside, though, what kind of mental quackery are you employing when you say that because (you think) no is talking about Nanoha it therefore must not be selling. Wtf? And if "no talk = no buying," and as you said of One Piece that "lots of talk = no buying," then I must that say that conversing with you will be awfully difficult with these bizarro-world standards. If you choose to reply, please bring some sense with you. Please.

Oh, and Nanoha and Fate are 19 in StrikerS. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:08 am; edited 4 times in total
nymeria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
X seems to have a UK release planned for next month too - I saw that before coming here and thought it was slightly odd timing, so I guess that there's been a recent license expiration or something. It's one of my favourite series for sure, so I'm super excited about that. I've always thought about importing, but whenever I import they go set a release date.

And great news about the FMA dub cast too. Today is pretty awesome.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Is the remastered version they are rescueing aka X - Remix?
And not the original Geneon/Pioneer singles release, right?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:

Oh, and Nanoha and Fate are 19 in StrikerS. Rolling Eyes

and from what I heard that's the one everyone hated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8